Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Options

Comments

The benefit of holding as I see it is Sanchez, Hazard and the end of the transfer window.

But most of them can be fitted it with a -4 or -8 if needs be, so wildcard early and wildcard often I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

PVA wrote: »
    While looking at options to get Kane in for GW3 based on underlying stats, the question arises as to when is an early wildcard justified, and when is it knee-jerk? Also, with the introduction of the new 'One Week Wildcard' (Free Hit), does this devalue the benefit of holding on to the wildcard in any way?

Personally, I would change 10+ players now on a wildcard, as we can already make some assumptions which could easily hold true for the coming weeks and months;
    - Alonso is a must have
    - United DF coverage is needed
    - United MF coverage is needed
    - Mane is the choice of Liverpool mids, referred to as a 'striker' by Klopp
    - Mooy is the pick of the £5.5m mids
    - Elliott and Mbemba are the £4m DF/GK enablers (this could change, but safest options for now to maintain value)
    - Kane's underlying stats indicate upcoming returns
    - Lukaku's underlying stats indicate his run may not continue
    - Chicharito has shown good form as 3rd striker enabler
    - Vardy potentially out for a month, joining Zaha
    - Trippier is back from injury - he was in most GW1 teams before his injury

Bearing in mind that City are still to come this evening, the below would be along the lines of a template wildcard team for GW3 (new players for my team in red)

De Gea (Elliott)
    Alonso Trippier Hegazi (Lowe Mbemba)
    Eriksen Mane Mkyryan Mooy (RLC)
    Chicharito Firmino Kane

Question is - other than the upcoming international break and insurance against a week of multiple injuries/red cards, what is the main benefit to holding on to the first wildcard past August/September?

Brilliant analysis PVA, I think an early WC post GW3 will be happening to myself, my team isn't in ribbons but certainly could do with a little makeover I don't want to do a -12 for or similar.

All in all, we don't know who'll perform well pre season, all speculation so now we've seen 2 GW's we've a better indication of who to pick, who's in form etc so IMO it's best to WC then, get your team set up for mid Sep onwards after a small evaluation of form and then fixtures upcoming for players you want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

WC Activated

Hennessy Elliott

Alonso Jones Britos Hegazi Memba

Mikki Ramsey Mane Mooy RLC

Kane Lukaku Chicarito

£0.8m ITB

Brought in Mooy last week and brought in Richarilson to my draft. Might go with Richarilsom as looks very promising

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

considering this now:

De Gea Elliott
    Alonso Trippier Berty Hegazi Mbemba
    Alli Eriksen Mané Mkyryan RLC
    Rooney Firmino Chicharito

Risky as in no - quote unquote - "big hitters" up front. Though i wouldn't say my frontline is weak all the same. Gives me a very nice looking first XI. Means my captain choices would often be a little left of centre:

GW3: Eriksen/Alli
    GW4: Chicharito
    GW5: Eriksen/Alli/Mané
    GW6: Rooney
    GW7: Rooney/Chicharito

etc.

Tempted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No Lukaku or Kane, you're in for a bad time my friend.

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    considering this now:

De Gea Elliott

Risky as in no - quote unquote - "big hitters" up front. Though i wouldn't say my frontline is weak all the same. Gives me a very nice looking first XI. Means my captain choices would often be a little left of centre:

etc.

Really liked that team until I got to the strikers but I'm a sucker for a heavy hitting front 3 and it's not going so good for me right now.

I'd drop Berty and get in a 4.5 to rotate with Hegazi as you'll play Alonso and Trippier every week. Trippier is also a current injury concern.

I do actually like your front line bar Rooney. Would you consider Vardy ? I think that midfield is pretty impressive so if at least 2 of your strikers fire then you might not miss the big 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

Wildcard Activated, looking forward to tinkering this week

Rooney has more chance of shagging my granny than getting in my team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

considering this now:

De Gea Elliott

etc.

No Lukaku or Kane is criminal.. ok if started the season on that gamble.. not if WC

If they fire you'll be in serious bother to fit them in

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

considering this now:

De Gea Elliott

etc.

Don't do it
    With those captaincy options allied with not even owning the likes of Kane and lukaku your season could be over by gw7

Chesty08 wrote: »
    No Lukaku or Kane is criminal.. ok if started the season on that gamble.. not if WC

If they fire you'll be in serious bother to fit them in

Hey, there's not only one way to play this game. Risk involved for sure, but it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility my gamble could work out. I'd fancy my front 3 to give a very good price to points value. Money saved strengthens elsewhere. Captain choices is certainly the concern but looking at the captain choices i'd have going forward they're certainly not bad overall.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Don't do it
    With those captaincy options allied with not even owning the likes of Kane and lukaku your season could be over by gw7

But don't you have to play the game your own way? TBH i haven't enjoyed the game as much recently - making some decisions based on fear instead of just trusting my gut and going for it. May change my mind yet but i think there's a good chance this will be my squad come Saturday.

But don't you have to play the game your own way? TBH i haven't enjoyed the game as much recently - making some decisions based on fear instead of just trusting my gut and going for it. May change my mind yet but i think there's a good chance this will be my squad come Saturday.

I really agree with your sentiment. There's probably a lot of people buying blindly due to fear of not going with highly owned players, price rises and falls, following advice blindly and so on.

At least your way you can take responsibility for the outcome try and enjoy it either way.

I can imagine there are a lot of managers (probably about 2.4 million) above me at the minute but are they doing their own thing or just following the masses ? I could not enjoy this game if I just did what I was advised to do or just doing what everyone else is doing.

I do appreciate there is a balance and owning Lukaku might be the safest thing to do but if you can score well without him then why not try.

Who's to say that Chicarito, Vardy and Firmino won't score enough to allow you to go without Lukaku.

I really agree with your sentiment. There's probably a lot of people buying blindly due to fear of not going with highly owned players, price rises and falls, following advice blindly and so on.

At least your way you can take responsibility for the outcome try and enjoy it either way.

I can imagine there are a lot of managers (probably about 2.4 million) above me at the minute but are they doing their own thing or just following the masses ? I could not enjoy this game if I just did what I was advised to do or just doing what everyone else is doing.

I do appreciate there is a balance and owning Lukaku might be the safest thing to do but if you can score well without him then why not try.

Who's to say that Chicarito, Vardy and Firmino won't score enough to allow you to go without Lukaku.

I've always believed there's no right way to play this game. So many variables.

As to my proposed squad, i've figured that i can do Kane and a 4.5m mid instead of Rooney + Alli, for now, if i want. Captain Kane for gw3 and gw5 then, as well as playing RLC those gameweeks too. It's definitely an option. Idea would be to get Rooney gw6 anyway. We'll see. Kane looks like dropping so will wait til Sat morning to put him in my WC squad if i decide so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Foster
    Taa Danilo cresswell Stephens
    Ramsey mane de bruyne
    Kane gabbi Jesus
    Iwobi Walter smith Elliot.

Definitely considering the wildcard now any opinions ?

Chesty08 wrote: »
    WC Activated

Hennessy Elliott

Alonso Jones Britos Hegazi Memba

Mikki Ramsey Mane Mooy RLC

Kane Lukaku Chicarito

£0.8m ITB

Brought in Mooy last week and brought in Richarilson to my draft. Might go with Richarilsom as looks very promising

I would not be having Hennessy in a wc team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Wildcard Activated, looking forward to tinkering this week

So 50/50 then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thinking of pulling the trigger

Foster Elliot
    Valencia Lowe Maguire Mee Yoshida
    Mane Pogba Ramsey Mooy Carroll
    Kane Lukaku Chicharito

Will be priced out of this squad after tonight so am tempted.

Thinking of pulling the trigger

Foster Elliot
    Valencia Lowe Maguire Mee Yoshida
    Mane Pogba Ramsey Mooy Carroll
    Kane Lukaku Chicharito

Will be priced out of this squad after tonight so am tempted.

Looks good. Think I'd go for Bailly over Valencia leaving me with .5 to play with. That would allow you the likes of Trippier over Maguire if that appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

considering this now:

De Gea Elliott

etc.

It's a nicely laid out team, but I'd have to agree with others that the lack of capital in the frontline could become a major problem.

The change I would make would be Alli to Mooy and Firmino to Kane (Don't have access to the site, but I think the maths is OK for this!). If Kane drops this week, with Mooy already gone up, it should be just about manageable.

I'd expect Kane to score a lot more points than Alli. Also, the fact that you already have Mane in midfield means that you're very reliant on Liverpool's attacking force over what is a tough set of fixtures. It also will get you on the Mooy price rise train if he continues to perform well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Looks good. Think I'd go for Bailly over Valencia leaving me with .5 to play with. That would allow you the likes of Trippier over Maguire if that appealed.

Ya that sounds good. Will want Maguire at some stage but probably best wait until their bad run is over. Other decision is Mane/Chicarito or Eriksen/Firmino. I think Mane/Chicarito is probably the most explosive option.

Ya that sounds good. Will want Maguire at some stage but probably best wait until their bad run is over. Other decision is Mane/Chicarito or Eriksen/Firmino. I think Mane/Chicarito is probably the most explosive option.

That really looks a coin toss. I'd probably prefer the latter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Really strong defensively and in midfield, but personally I'd have to have at least one from Kane/Lukaku/Aguero up front, but if you feel you'll get more enjoyment out of the game, then absolutely go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

So decided to wildcard my team. It was going ok, but wanted to strengthen in a few places. Would love to hear peoples opinions

Foster Elliot

Lowe Maguire Jones Mbemba Long

Salah Carroll Willian Eriksen Mkhitaryan

Chicharito Lukaku Kane

My reasoning is below
    Foster - West Brom coverage for clean sheets
    Jones - United coverage, hopefully stays fit
    Maguire - Watching him against Arsenal in the first game, seemed to win a lot of headers at corners etc., hopefully might get a few goals this season
    Lowe - Not sure Huddersfields form will continue, but hopping on the bandwagon for the time being, might get a price rise or two
    Mbemba & Long - bench fodder, Mbemba is playing
    Salah & Mkhitaryan - Had both from the start. Not sure whether to change Salah to Mane, or Mkhitaryan to Pogba. I picked them both as I think they might score better in the long run. Thinking of staying on both for now.
    Eriksen - went with him over Alli at the start, and happy enough to keep him for now
    Willian - not sure on him to be honest. He could score a few soon as he is creating chances, but could also be dropped with the Chelsea midfield coming back to fitness. Who to buy instead though?
    Carroll - Playing for Swansea, always thought he was talented, willing to take a risk for now, and will be on my bench

Happy enough with the front line. I hope that Kane can find his feet this weekend, but I can move him on after if needed. Chicarito will probably score goals in patches, but happy to put him in for now. Lukaku, don't really need to say anything

It's a nicely laid out team, but I'd have to agree with others that the lack of capital in the frontline could become a major problem.

The change I would make would be Alli to Mooy and Firmino to Kane (Don't have access to the site, but I think the maths is OK for this!). If Kane drops this week, with Mooy already gone up, it should be just about manageable.

I'd expect Kane to score a lot more points than Alli. Also, the fact that you already have Mane in midfield means that you're very reliant on Liverpool's attacking force over what is a tough set of fixtures. It also will get you on the Mooy price rise train if he continues to perform well.

Thanks for the feedback. That's certainly another option. Though I have an inkling Firmino is a season keeper so not sure I want to get rid. I'm not sold on Mooy TBH. I saw their game at the weekend and he's more of a defensive mid. Took his goal well but didn't get forward much overall.

I'm hoping to hold until gw9 now
    Friday evening deadline gives scope for double rises
    won't be doing it over int breaks this year

But there could be one problem and he is called Alexis Sanchez
    He is still around ye know..........and he won't be moving to PSG now

Been thinking he might be the solution to the 'which City player to own' conundrum.

He is difficult to find room for and it's hard to predict how he will do with lacazette there it could be the making or breaking of him

He is difficult to find room for and it's hard to predict how he will do with lacazette there it could be the making or breaking of him
    Have a feeling he will end up at city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Can someone explain to me the benefit of a WC before the International break?

Surely it's better to possible have 1 more bad week, rather than WC and then possible receive 2-3 injuries?

Advertisement