Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips to get upgraded in Aer Lingus?

• 08-08-2017 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭

For long flights with Aer Lingus, has anyone ever got bumped up to Business Class by simply asking at check in if there were any free seats? I know they do a bid system to ask people to bid on an upgrade but I would like to know if people have any particular tips on the best routes to get upgraded, the best time, how to ask etc. Is there an art to it or is it pure luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

For long flights with Aer Lingus, has anyone ever got bumped up to Business Class by simply asking at check in if there were any free seats? I know they do a bid system to ask people to bid on an upgrade but I would like to know if people have any particular tips on the best routes to get upgraded, the best time, how to ask etc. Is there an art to it or is it pure luck?

Money talks , slip the the check in person €100 in your ticket pouch as you hand it to them while requesting the upgrade and arrive early when there is no queue. Works everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭cml387

Car99 wrote: »
    Money talks , slip the the check in person €100 in your ticket pouch as you hand it to them while requesting the upgrade and arrive early when there is no queue. Works everytime.

Possibly also add "You're a lovely girl" with a knowing wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

cml387 wrote: »
    Possibly also add "You're a lovely girl" with a knowing wink.

And maybe a playful slap on the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Those days are all but gone.

First there is the bid to upgrade, then there is the frequent fliers. You would need to be a top tier flyer to get the free upgrade, then there is economy ticket. If it was a last minute fully flexible ticket you might have a chance.

After that it comes down the the value of your ticket and how much you paid. But if you paid less than 500 for a return flight severely restricted ticket you will be lucky to get on the flight.

Assuming all of that is not necessary, turning up in a nice shirt, casual trousers, shaven and groomed, then you might have the slimmest chance!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

There are no tips, it's not going to happen op.

When I was gold circle platinum and elite I used to get upgraded frequently particularly during summer months. Nearly half the time so it was a real downer when I didn't get it.

It could happen at checkin, or in the lounge or sometimes when boarding.

One time when I was elite I asked could I cash in points for an upgrade in the
    Lounge. She paged me a few minutes later with the upgrade and said don't worry about the points :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is no trick really, but its very rare

So the rules (yes there actually is an official set of rules for operational upgrade)

* Show up early, be polite, shirt, jacket and proper shoes
    * Have status
    * Get to know the staff, its only a small group of staff who work the check in and lounge (its a single group)

There aren't many people in that department to start

I've been quite successful over the years, even on cheap tickets. Two of us together on separate tickets got the upgrade, other two didn't, purely on status.

EI runs a very busy economy load so there is always a chance

Bid to upgrade has to be confirmed a few days in advance, so if something goes wrong on the day, e.g they put on the HGW -300 with the 4 fewer seats

There is a theory that EI never overbooks, but will book to a certain point that there is a seat for everyone, just some are now in business and sort it out a checkin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

There is a theory that EI never overbooks, but will book to a certain point that there is a seat for everyone, just some are now in business and sort it out a checkin

Not sure if you mean just on transatlantic flights but I can tell you from experience that's not true on European flights

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Cloudio9 wrote: »

One time when I was elite I asked could I cash in points for an upgrade in the
    Lounge. She paged me a few minutes later with the upgrade and said don't worry about the points :)

Tried this one with Etihad...cost me 40,000 miles but man was it worth it for the experience on A380 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

You're going to have to just pay the money i'm afraid. Your not going to get Business Class for free.

Car99 wrote: »

Honestly don't see that working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the replies so far. Has anyone actually managed to have their bid for Business Class accepted and if so how much extra did you offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Do the great unwashed who do not wear Armani suits and shoes not travel in business? Is there a dress code?

I was bumped to business before and I was not dressed in any business related garb.

Agreed. Clothes have nothing to do with it. I was bumped to first class twice by Emirates and I was dressed for comfort.

Aer Lingus does have a policy, I've been told this by senior check in staff.

I always travel smart, so proper shoes, ironed shirt, jacket and that is sufficient to get past the requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I always travel smart, so proper shoes, ironed shirt, jacket and that is sufficient to get past the requirements

I’ve heard quite the opposite from senior check in staff in Aer lingus, They told me for upgrade purposes its best to travel in a sleeveless vest, Bermuda shorts, bum bag around the waist and sandals with socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Surely they mean a dress code for upgrades. If you paid full price for business class you can dress as you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

It's the colour of their money not the colour of their shirt the company wants to see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing. Really the dress code adhering upgradees are likely to be the best dressed due to the normal attire of your average tech worker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I refuse to fly in business attire. Who wants to spend 13 hours on a plane in a shirt and trousers? First and Business, I'm always in shorts and a tshirt with a hoodie. The richest of the rich don't fly commercial anyway so any illusions of grandeur or prestige are misplaced.

• Advertisement

There is no Dress Code, people wear pajamas in Business Class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Have the missus bring a wedding dress and ask the staff to take special care of it, its worked twice for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Deagol

Thanks for the replies so far. Has anyone actually managed to have their bid for Business Class accepted and if so how much extra did you offer?

Got business back from Boston-SNN in April for €320 bid (minimum I could bid). Was full with only one seat spare (they always keep one back for flexible fare business, in this case not need).

Senior staff have told me in the past couple of years that they are extremely restricted on upgrading people. Last I talked to someone a few weeks ago - basically Aer Club Platinum is the very minimum requirement. They have been warned that any staff caught upgrading family/friends is liable for severe disciplinary procedures. Now, whether that actually happens is a different matter of course - who's actually going to complain ? ;)

Thats what I've been told as well, only if there is an operational need and then pick the highest status holder checked in.

Thats what I've been told as well, only if there is an operational need and then pick the highest status holder checked in.

Unfortunately it's not limited to EI either. Have been told by BA staff that upgrades are rarer than hens teeth and pretty much only for Gold or above, all upgrades are monitored and must be signed off by senior staff.

SAS similar story, got upgraded because of who I work for 3 years ago twice in a few weeks. Asked why no more upgrades last year and was told they just don't do that anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I believe BA upgrade people based on status but keep track of who has been upgraded. So if you're upgraded once you're less likely to be upgraded again. The idea being to give as many people a 'taste of the good life' to try get them hooked so they pay for business in future.

Any time I've been upgraded it has been based on my status. Thankfully the airline had no dress code or they'd have taken the upgrade back from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Money talks- b/s walks- close the thread

• Advertisement

Advertisement