Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweight Boxing

• 23-07-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What do you guys make of the heavyweight scene at the moment? For me it's just incomplete without Fury. I see he's flat out on instagram this week and looks like he's lost considerable weight. I can see him fighting before the end of the year and if he's hungry enough then I think he takes AJ in 2018. 
    Any opinions on Parker vrs Hfury? 
    I love the Wilder Ortiz fight. I think Ortiz will win that one but at last Deontay is stepping up in class and defending against a live challenger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Has he got his licence back???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Not yet but cloud of mystery surrounding that anyhow. If Lucas Browne and Pov can get back in a couple of months then I'm sure he will too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fury the best of an ok bunch.

Question marks over Ortiz given his age but I rate him and think he'll destroy Wilder.

Joshua answered a lot of question marks against Wlad. Would prob rank him as second best in the division but I think I fancy Ortiz to beat him so 2/3rd.

Fancy Hughie to beat Parker in a close fight now it's in London. Should have the advantage on the cards.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Fury the best of an ok bunch.

Question marks over Ortiz given his age but I rate him and think he'll destroy Wilder.

Joshua answered a lot of question marks against Wlad. Would prob rank him as second best in the division but I think I fancy Ortiz to beat him so 2/3rd.

Fancy Hughie to beat Parker in a close fight now it's in London. Should have the advantage on the cards.

Yea it's only ever ok though but the circus surrounding it is ridiculous

Wilder is hard to predict I'm really looking forward to that fight.

I think Parker but if Hughie wins that I'll be well impressed. Very young to be a champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fury is a joke, I'd imagine his version of flat out is different to most peoples. He seemed pretty unbothered about coming back with his comments last week; "“My time was two years ago. If I come back there will be an announcement, but if I don’t then goodbye.”"

I think there has to be more to him not having his license back than meets the eye. How someone who has ballooned up to 25 stone would cope with dropping the bones of 10 stone and react to being hit by a top HW is also debatable. If he was serious he would lose the weight, take 4-5 tune up fights over 18-24 months and then look for a title fight. If he comes back it'll be for an AJ paycheck and he will be out after that, back to his fat, coked up lifestyle.

As for the actual HW's that we should be talking about right now, AJ has done the most to date so deserves to be thought of as number 1. I would say Klit is still probably number 2 but will probably retire after AJ 2.

Wilder would be the best of the rest for me, Ortiz is a good fight for him, a win there sets up a super fight between Wilder and AJ. If they could let that stew for 12-18 months while they knock-out every other contender it could be a mega fight from a financial standpoint.

I'd be very doubtful Parker is at that level, has looked pretty ordinary anytime I have seen him. There are a couple of young Olympians who have turned pro recently (A French and English lad, names escape me) & a fit and focused Haye would be a wild card but all in all it is a relatively poor division still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fury seems to have announced his retirement, again, from boxing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Fury seems to have announced his retirement, again, from boxing today.

Seems to be a reaction to Peter Fury and Hennessy talking to David haye about a fight with Hughie should he beat Parker.
    I'd actually noticed a bit of niggle there previously when Tyson was all pally with Parker.

All a game?
    I'm certain we will see Tyson back but I only hope it is as he was and not just in it for the payday. If he fights AJ straight off then payday but 2 tune ups means biz

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Would rate AJ as the best of what is an ordinary enough bunch.

I like Wilder but he's not really a boxer is he? He's in great shape which is a start for a HW these days but he is very limited. I'd hope you could only go so far by being in shape and wind milling and would fancy AJ if they met. Better, bigger and more accurate puncher. He's been in with better competition and shown some heart whereas Wilder is pretty untested in this regard. Would still be a great match up and one I hope to see.

Fury cracks me up and on his day could beat any of them but he seems to have lost it. He doesn't have the pop to deter him and I cant see AJ not getting to him over 12 rounds. Fury's chin still a question mark and AJ's power is real..

The rest are a bit meh. Ortiz has the skills but is getting on. Haye the same. Parker is average. Wlad possibly is the next best but cant see him turning the tables on AJ. So having been skeptical of AJ for years he's now top of the tree for me.

On a side note would love to see any of them slap Bellew around.

I agree mainly, excellent comment.

I can't have AJ but he is the top man. He'd ko wilder who will continue to duck him for at least another year. That said AJ certainly isn't underrated. Beating a 40 year old Wlad who let him off the hook doesn't make him a great but he was very impressive. Wlad owned the division for a decade but since Lennox retired it hasn't been great.
    Agree about Fury. Peak he beats them all but he's lost the plot. It's a shame.
    What do you make of Millar and Dubois?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Fury will definitely be 'back'. Whether that's a good thing or not I am not sure. He clearly has a lot of mental health issues. Of course I'd like to see him back but only if his mind is healthy and he's not coming back to get himself out of debt and feed a drug habit.

Yea it's documented that he's had depression but I think there's a large amount of couldn't be bothered about him. Maybe that's harsh and as I say I do acknowledge that he's had problems but we all do that's life. Suck it up and do some good. I'd love to see him back and on it.
    I agree with you he will box again but hard to see him have the speed or aura either. Look at Ali or Tyson when they came back after inactivity. It's true of lesser lights too like Haye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ali had quite a successful career post Vietnam..

Fury out too long now and in dreadful shape..

He gets bombed out of it by AJ and Wilder should he make a comeback..

Oh of course yea but he wasn't anything like he had been. The speed, dancing and humiliating ball comers was gone. He did show limited amounts of that but he showed grit and an ability to get hit and recover to win.

AJ yes but not sure about wilder. Could actually see that fight being made. Wilder would want the soft fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

In all honesty though this talk of peak fury gets to me sometimes I don't like the guy as a boxer or as a man however I used to, but that said I'm more than willing to give him credit where I think it's due.

But sometimes it seems people refer to peak fury almost in the same way someone might refer to peak Mike Tyson ie. A 4-5 year spell. Where in actual fact the only time I've been remotely impressed was on one particular night.

So is his peak confined to one night?

He weighed 17 stone something against wlad and was by his standards in mighty shape he also had his fight plan and implemented it but above all stuck to it. He used all of his attributes to the best of their ability. But truth be told the stars kinda all really aligned for him, wlad put in the worst performance I've seen from him in a long time. And coughed up his belts without so much as a whimper.

Tbh some (in fact many) might disagree but for me that took away from furys performance. When it's looked at on paper what fury achieved was outstanding: dethroned the top dog in his own back yard but in the cold harsh light of reality was it really that amazing?

From what I've seen of fury and I've seen a lot, followed him right from the get go, through his ch5 days and seen him live too and believe it or not I was a big fan at the begining when I believed he'd develop more hand speed and a touch more pop in his jab but as time wore on my interest faded. The doubt around the ped's is another big detractor for me.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I really do believe the fury we've seen in 96% of his pro fights would be soundly beaten by AJ and probably beaten by wilder and maybe Ortiz. The fury from the wlad fight is the other 4% of his career. If he performed like this he may beat wilder would most likely out point Ortiz but I still wouldn't see him keeping AJ at bay for a full 12 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

squinn2912 wrote: »

TBH I haven't seen a whole lot of either of them. HW scene has been dire for a good few years and only getting back into it now. I've read the whole Dubois dropping AJ thing but hard to judge him after 4 fights. Millar's record doesn't look great after 19 fights?

Either of them worth getting excited about?

Wlad took nothing away from Fury's performance. Both performed sh1t from what I saw..

In all honesty though this talk of peak fury gets to me sometimes I don't like the guy as a boxer or as a man however I used to, but that said I'm more than willing to give him credit where I think it's due.

But sometimes it seems people refer to peak fury almost in the same way someone might refer to peak Mike Tyson ie. A 4-5 year spell. Where in actual fact the only time I've been remotely impressed was on one particular night.

So is his peak confined to one night?

He weighed 17 stone something against wlad and was by his standards in mighty shape he also had his fight plan and implemented it but above all stuck to it. He used all of his attributes to the best of their ability. But truth be told the stars kinda all really aligned for him, wlad put in the worst performance I've seen from him in a long time. And coughed up his belts without so much as a whimper.

Tbh some (in fact many) might disagree but for me that took away from furys performance. When it's looked at on paper what fury achieved was outstanding: dethroned the top dog in his own back yard but in the cold harsh light of reality was it really that amazing?

From what I've seen of fury and I've seen a lot, followed him right from the get go, through his ch5 days and seen him live too and believe it or not I was a big fan at the begining when I believed he'd develop more hand speed and a touch more pop in his jab but as time wore on my interest faded. The doubt around the ped's is another big detractor for me.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I really do believe the fury we've seen in 96% of his pro fights would be soundly beaten by AJ and probably beaten by wilder and maybe Ortiz. The fury from the wlad fight is the other 4% of his career. If he performed like this he may beat wilder would most likely out point Ortiz but I still wouldn't see him keeping AJ at bay for a full 12 rounds.

Hmm to be fair he had been effective and got the job done up until then with an ugly unorthodox style. What age was he by that time 25/26? We should be looking at the peak now with 3-4 defenses (presuming he'd win the rematch no guarantee there) and AJ would be calling him out. Instead he got stripped and messed up and donkeys like Charles Martin and Parker took full advantage of a window

TBH I haven't seen a whole lot of either of them. HW scene has been dire for a good few years and only getting back into it now. I've read the whole Dubois dropping AJ thing but hard to judge him after 4 fights. Millar's record doesn't look great after 19 fights?

Either of them worth getting excited about?

Yea that's the rumour that won't go away. I know very little about him that's why I'm asking. Done well so far and very young so he needs managed. Nah don't think millar has much

walshb wrote: »
    Wlad took nothing away from Fury's performance. Both performed sh1t from what I saw..

It wasn't great viewing that's for sure but it was fury's best performance by a country mile.

Hmm to be fair he had been effective and got the job done up until then with an ugly unorthodox style. What age was he by that time 25/26? We should be looking at the peak now with 3-4 defenses (presuming he'd win the rematch no guarantee there) and AJ would be calling him out. Instead he got stripped and messed up and donkeys like Charles Martin and Parker took full advantage of a window

Prior to the wlad fight Fury's effectiveness is for me confined to getting wins against opponents who were inferior in almost every aspect behind an awkward yet far from impenetrable outside fighting style.

And yet despite this there are numerous occasions where he was caught flush with shots on both the head and body and where he showed a tendency to get sucked into brawls where his incompatibilities with close proximity fighting became very apparent.

As you said we should now be looking at a peak fury who has kicked on from the wlad fight but in reality we're not and that is all Tyson Fury's own doing.

That for me is enough to find having Tyson fury as the number 1 heavyweight on anyones "list" nonsensical.

• Advertisement

It wasn't great viewing that's for sure but it was fury's best performance by a country mile.

Really?

I mean he landed eff all shots. If you are saying that him being big and awkward and clumsy and making it difficult for the equally big and awkward and clumsy Wlad showing, was Fury' best performance by a contry mile...?

Really?

I mean he landed eff all shots. If you are saying that him being big and awkward and clumsy and making it difficult for the equally big and awkward and clumsy Wlad showing, was Fury' best performance by a contry mile...?

I'm afraid I would. That's taking into account wlad was or at least was supposed to be a huge step up in class.

Comfortably getting a tko against the likes of Joey abell isnt worth much imo.

And performances like struggling to land anything effective other than jabs on a stationary Kevin Johnson or getting caught flush and put on the canvas by a blown up cruiserweight like Cunningham even given fury went onto win, don't stand out as a good in my mind.

Is there really any performance by fury against a half decent opponent that's comparable or better than the wlad win?

Both chisora fights were pretty bad and even though chisora's corner pulled him in the second fight late on he wasn't exactly ready to go or taking serious damage. He was just eating jabs and well behind on the cards and carrying on was pointless. My memory is slightly clouded regarding the fight but didn't Derek land some good shots particularly a few body shots early on in the fight. Again it just wasn't that great by fury he got the win but failed to impress. Story of his career really.

pac_man wrote: »
    In terms of his best performance I think that Christian Hammer fight should be mentioned. He was really light on his feet that night. Hammer has since gone on to beat Erkan Teper and David Price.

True he looked pretty decent that night and stuck to his fight plan too.

But is or was Hammer that good really. His victory over teper is a decent achievement but it was pretty close. He was promising enough early on in his career but his first real test coming in the form of wach saw him lose well. And I wouldn't give any self respecting HW contender much credit for beating 2017 David price.

Wlad didn't box well but that hadn't happened to him in what 13 years? Fury was the first in a long long time who Wlad couldn't bully or intimidate.
    I guess we have to ask ourselves was it a buster douglas moment or a more credible type of upset. I think the latter. Fury toyed with him and there's no getting away from that.

Anybody see the Millar Washington fight? Was that a good stoppage and does it now put Millar at elite level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Joshua still Mr Nice Guy

Amir Khan has gone all out on twitter about his wife and AJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Joshua still Mr Nice Guy

Amir Khan has gone all out on twitter about his wife and AJ

At a guess his accounts been hacked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

What do you guys make of the heavyweight scene at the moment? For me it's just incomplete without Fury. I see he's flat out on instagram this week and looks like he's lost considerable weight. I can see him fighting before the end of the year and if he's hungry enough then I think he takes AJ in 2018. 
    Any opinions on Parker vrs Hfury? 
    I love the Wilder Ortiz fight. I think Ortiz will win that one but at last Deontay is stepping up in class and defending against a live challenger.

Heavyweight boxing has been 'incomplete' for the last 15 years!

I guess so but incomplete in the sense that what is there isn't taking part.
    What are the thoughts on Wlad calling it a day? I think it's the right decision in the end. I think he threw it away vrs AJ who deserves credit for his part. This stuff about Kahn's wife is a bit crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd like to see someone (probably AJ) win all the heavyweight titles to be undisputed champion.

There hasn't been one since Lennox Lewis seventeen years ago.

I'd like to see someone (probably AJ) win all the heavyweight titles to be undisputed champion.

And to do it by knocking everyone out in spectacular fashion.

I've been firmly aboard the Joshua hype train for a long while now simply because it's precisely what's best for the sports future.

Heavy weight boxing needs the cliché "baddest man on the planet" type fighters to be at the top to capture the general public's attention, always has.

The giant jabbers just don't have the same mystique about them...

And to do it by knocking everyone out in spectacular fashion.

I've been firmly aboard the Joshua hype train for a long while now simply because it's precisely what's best for the sports future.

Heavy weight boxing needs the cliché "baddest man on the planet" type fighters to be at the top to capture the general public's attention, always has.

The giant jabbers just don't have the same mystique about them...

Spot on...

The casual fans crave the destructive side.

Spot on...

The casual fans crave the destructive side.

Ya thats the long and the short of it. I've been guilty myself of getting sucked into it on numerous occasions. Criticising early stoppages by refs etc.

Its easy forget boxers or any athlete for that matter, are just normal men and women at the back of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

I agree mainly, excellent comment.

I can't have AJ but he is the top man. He'd ko wilder who will continue to duck him for at least another year. That said AJ certainly isn't underrated. Beating a 40 year old Wlad who let him off the hook doesn't make him a great but he was very impressive. Wlad owned the division for a decade but since Lennox retired it hasn't been great.
    Agree about Fury. Peak he beats them all but he's lost the plot. It's a shame.

Sorry but how exactly is wilder ducking the home wrecker? He has been calling for unification bout for almost a year now

Anyone backing AJ with any confidence to KO Wilder would be foolish.

Few things: Aj is quite hittable at any stage in a match

AJs chin for me is now not something I'd have real confidence in.

Wilder is a very heavy puncher.

Wilder is big enough and fast enough and aggressive enough to land on AJ, and possibly early.

Yes, AJ could get to Wilder first. I get that, but it still doesn't get away from AJ possibly getting whacked out of it.

It really may be a case of who lands the heavy bomb(s) first, and anyone being confident that it's AJ could be tripped up. I'd say the smart money is on the faster starter, anD the more aggressive type attacker....that is Wilder.

And I know I have said it many times, but both knock Fury the fook out, unless he has now got a very good chin.

• Advertisement

Anyone backing AJ with any confidence to KO Wilder would be foolish.

Few things: Aj is quite hittable at any stage in a match

AJs chin for me is now not something I'd have real confidence in.

Wilder is a very heavy puncher.

Wilder is big enough and fast enough and aggressive enough to land on AJ, and possibly early.

Yes, AJ could get to Wilder first. I get that, but it still doesn't get away from AJ possibly getting whacked out of it.

It really may be a case of who lands the heavy bomb(s) first, and anyone being confident that it's AJ could be tripped up. I'd say the smart money is on the faster starter, anD the more aggressive type attacker....that is Wilder.

And I know I have said it many times, but both knock Fury the fook out, unless he has now got a very good chin.

Im confident we will see AJ Wilder next year

Firstly I don't buy into the ducking thing at all. Both men and their management aren't stupid, the AJ wilder fight will happen when it's going to make the most money. Another good ko win for both men maybe even 2 and there will be maximum interest in a potential fight.

@walshb in relation to people sleeping on wilder that's true however all of the points you made could be applied more so in favour of AJ imo.

Wilder is very hittable

Wilders chin is something I'd have no confidence in. (Eric Molina made him do the funky chicken)

Again I feel AJ is certainly aggressive enough, big enough and strong enough to land early on deontay and he's also got superior hand speed.

However I certainly agree whoever lands big first will be at a major advantage and it's certainly not beyond wilders capabilities to land clean and hard. Also agree 100% Re: fury

One thing is for sure it should be a great spectacle when it finally comes to pass.

Edit pacman beat me to it

I don't think anyone doubts that Wilder has chance against anyone in the division if he lands. Best one punch power in the division bar none imo.

It's not a 50/50 fight though as AJ is easily the better boxer and sets up his shots far better. You wouldn't see Joshua get outboxed by Washington or Szpilka like Wilder did. The advantages are with AJ in this fight for sure.

pac_man wrote: »
    I've just replaced Wilder with Joshua in your point. Any point you would disagree with?

No issue. And if you read my post you will see where I noted that AJ could get to Wilder first..

I also pretty much put my bet down to Wilder being for me a faster starter, more in your face aggressive.

I would back Wilder to get to AJ first.

This fight doesn't go past 3 IMO..

It is a combination of Wilder being a fast starter with power and AJs chin not taking the power....

Edit: I disagree that AJ is the more aggressive and faster starter...

That for me is Wilder, and that for me ios why he gets to AJ first....Could I be wrong? sure...

BTW, not sure what your post was meant to show......you switched names. Great.....

Anyone backing either man with any real confidence would be foolish. I am simply leaning with Wilder due to my points about him being a heavy hitting aggressive and faster starter. I believe he has this in greater capacity than AJ.

I don't think anyone doubts that Wilder has chance against anyone in the division if he lands. Best one punch power in the division bar none imo.

It's not a 50/50 fight though as AJ is easily the better boxer and sets up his shots far better. You wouldn't see Joshua get outboxed by Washington or Szpilka like Wilder did. The advantages are with AJ in this fight for sure.

If I had confidence in AJs chin and defence I would definitely lean with him.

I don't, and that is bad news against a heavy hitting fast starter like Wilder.

Up until the Wlad fight we had nothing of real note to go on with AJ.

He showed a good chin to take a lovely shot from Whyte, but then he was on absolute queer street against Wlad.

I had some confidence after the Whye shot, but after the Wlad fight, and the fact that it's Wilder throwing shots, my confidence isn't enough.

• Advertisement

if Wlad had the power put him down, Wilder will certainly have more than enough to floor him

akelly02 wrote: »
    if Wlad had the power put him down, Wilder will certainly have more than enough to floor him

And the shot Wlad caught him with was good, but not great. Maybe it was more where he caught him/ Kind of high on the head.

Anyway, Wilder will be throwing with even more speed and intent and force....

And the shot Wlad caught him with was good, but not great. Maybe it was more where he caught him/ Kind of high on the head.

Anyway, Wilder will be throwing with even more speed and intent and force....

looking forward to it already

I'm not sure why your christening Wilder such a fast starter. He's gone rounds with pretty much any live opponent he's gone up against. 9 rounds with Eric Molina...

I think AJ is every bit if not the quicker starter out of the two of them. He also has a jab which let's him dictate the fight on his terms to an extent. Wilder fundamentally is bang average.

Personally I have far more faith in AJ's chin post the Wlad fight compared to before. Wlad is a massive puncher and AJ took some big shots quite well. To even get up from the knockdown punch was commendable. That was a massive, flush shot.

The feather fisted, by heavyweight standards, Dillian Whyte having him stunned was a lot more concerning imo.

The feather fisted, by heavyweight standards, Dillian Whyte having him stunned was a lot more concerning imo.

Well, there you go.....

I'm not sure why your christening Wilder such a fast starter. He's gone rounds with pretty much any live opponent he's gone up against. 9 rounds with Eric Molina...

Not with you on this....

Just because a fighter goes several rds doesn't mean he is not a fast starter.

Aaron Pryor was a fast starter.......still went the distance on occasions....btw, I am not saying Wilder is comparable to Pryor as regards being a fast starter. Juts saying that being a fast starter doesn't mean that you win inside a few rds all the time.

AJ is certainly not a slow starter. I just happen to think that Wilder might get to land that killer blow first. Hardly shocking to think this...

Wilder is a faster starter than AJ. That's what it looks to me.

walshb wrote:
    Aaron Pryor was a fast starter.......still went the distance on occasions....btw, I am not saying Wilder is comparable to Pryor as regards being a fast starter. Juts saying that being a fast starter doesn't mean that you win inside a few rds all the time.

Right, but Pryor is a light welterweight. He's obviously not going to have the same one punch power. I'd expect a one punch KO artist like Wilder, if a quick starter, to one punch KO people early. Wilder often gets outboxed for large portions of his fights before landing that big shot. I'd nearly call him a slow starter a lot of the time tbh. Definitely not a notorious fast starter for me anyway.

Joshua establishes the jab early imo and eventually lands an overhand right.

I'd fancy Joshua big time in this fight personally. Obviously Wilder has a strong punchers chance though.

Right, but Pryor is a light welterweight. He's obviously not going to have the same one punch power. I'd expect a one punch KO artist like Wilder, if a quick starter, to one punch KO people early. Wilder often gets outboxed for large portions of his fights before landing that big shot. I'd nearly call him a slow starter a lot of the time tbh. Definitely not a notorious fast starter for me anyway.

I'd fancy Joshua big time in this fight personally. Obviously Wilder has a strong punchers chance though.

Yes, but Wilder is winging the big shots right from the first bell. That is my point as regards fast starter. No hanging around. Straight in with the power shots, and I don't think AJ does a good job f defending or taking them. I reckon Wilder does land clean on AJ early for the KO.

Of course, AJ could also land clean and early for the KO. I just think that Wilder beats him to it.

Yes, but Wilder is winging the big shots right from the first bell. That is my point as regards fast starter. No hanging around. Straight in with the power shots, and I don't think AJ does a good job or defending or taking them. I reckon Wilder does land clean on AJ early for the KO.

Of corse, AJ could also land clean and early for the KO. I just think that Wilder beats him to it.
    He'll need to have serious balls to be coming in like a mad man swinging hooks with his chin in the air against someone like AJ.

There is a strong argument for Wilder landing one at some point and winning but surely the more sensible argument is to pick the one with both power and good boxing ability compared to the one with power and very limited boxing ability. That's what it comes down to for me. AJ just has far more dimensions to his game really.

I did like Wilder to some extent and had hoped that he'd be a serious champ but he's been disappointing. Year on year, though I don't like him, AJ has improved while Wilder has relied more and more on his attributes to get past similar poor standard boxers after being unconvincing during the fight. For me AJ wins by KO inside 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement