Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scammed help

Options
  • 02-08-2017 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

My son has worked in a part time job to save up for a ps4. He found one on adverts he liked and I bid on it and the buyer asked me to pay by paypal which I did. He asked me to pay by family and friends because he would get it quicker. I did. Then he said he would courier it the next day and send me a tracking code. I mailed him yesterday evening and he said he hasn't sent it as he had family issues. I said ok but please send it next day. He said he would. Then I asked him yesterday had he sent it and he said yes. And then a minute later he accused me of reporting his paypal account and that his money was frozen! I told him it wasn't me who had done it. He said great now I've lost my money and my ps4 thanks for nothing. Bye. So I waited today and no ps4. No courier. I got onto adverts and they said go to gardai as paypal can't refund me seeing as the guy got me to pay it through the 'family and friends' option. Has anybody any advice for me? My 15 year old son is so upset and so am I.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Unless you go to the guards you've no comeback.Sadly he can say he posted it and you can't disprove it.
    I'm afraid you've lost your money

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gards and give any details he gave you ,keep an eye on adverts to see if he is stupid enough to relist it for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 28,622 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did he tell you to use the 'family and friends' option on Paypal? Did you think that this was strange? What kind of reputation did he have on adverts.ie ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guards is the only option, but do not expect anything from it

Never use "family and friends" on Paypal unless someone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Did he tell you to use the 'family and friends' option on Paypal? Did you think that this was strange? What kind of reputation did he have on adverts.ie ?

Yes he said it would cost him extra if I didn't. I didn't think it was too strange as I've been asked to do this and followed through before with no repercussions. He had 1 positive feedback and no negative. He was new to adverts but had 3 items for sale. Yes I know I've been very stupid. Too trusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,818 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Unless you go to the guards you've no comeback.Sadly he can say he posted it and you can't disprove it.
    I'm afraid you've lost your money

If it's that easy and full proof we may all start doing it.

How much was his PS4 ?

What can the gardai do and realistically speaking is it likely they would investigate it?

How much was his PS4 ?

I bought it for €200 and sent him an extra €15 for the courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1200

There's an adverts forum on here, post there, the mods are very helpful.

• Advertisement

Couriers can be slow, even within Ireland. Can you ask him for the tracking number, he claimed he sent it and seemed to be mad about the fact he did as his paypal was frozen.
    Should send him a text, tell him it never came and ask for the tracking number or a refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's that easy and full proof we may all start doing it.
    Unfortunately it can be that simple. Hence you take precautions with payments. We won't all start doing it because most of us are honest.
    How much was his PS4 ?
    That's immaterial.

that sucks, I think there's a few on here that would like to donate towards the young fellas ps4, I'll throw in 50quid if you want to send on your paypal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have his phone number? If so, Google it.

Couriers can be slow, even within Ireland. Can you ask him for the tracking number, he claimed he sent it and seemed to be mad about the fact he did as his paypal was frozen. Should send him a text, tell him it never came and ask for the tracking number or a refund

I've asked him several times. He's ignoring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Is the ad gone from adverts?

Gatling wrote:
    Is the ad gone from adverts?

Yes he had it listed as withdrawn and he also had an xbox 1s and an iPhone 6s up and they have been deleted also I presume by adverts mods who are watching him. His account is still active though. I'm lukesmom if anybody wants to see the comments

the_syco wrote:
    Do you have his phone number? If so, Google it.

No I don't unfortunately. I've googled his name but no luck. He's in donegal and has a pretty common name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Was it a new PS4 he was selling?

that sucks, I think there's a few on here that would like to donate towards the young fellas ps4, I'll throw in 50quid if you want to send on your paypal address.

That is extremely thoughtful and generous of you but I don't see why someone else should also lose out because of this person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The only option is to go to the guards, as already said if you pay by friends and family there's no comeback.
    If someone asks you to do it in future just say no they can add on the few Euro it costs for the fees.

I've paid by friends a family a few times with no problem. What exactly does that mean? They just don't have to pay a few quid for postage or something?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tilikum wrote: »
    I've paid by friends a family a few times with no problem. What exactly does that mean? They just don't have to pay a few quid for postage or something?

You pay the fees rather than them. You also lose absolutely all buyer protections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tilikum wrote: »

You are taking the fees and too many risks if the seller is not known personally to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I never knew about this.

Sorry what happened OP. But I've leaned a valuable lesson from this.

lukesmom wrote: »
    That is extremely thoughtful and generous of you but I don't see why someone else should also lose out because of this person

Well it's more about spreading the loss, I remember the excitement of getting new games console even if it was the Sega Master System back in them days..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Are you not even able to enter a dispute via paypal if you've paid friends and family?

I bought an xbox yrs ago on ebay. The seller had 50 odd positive feedback. All small items though. I was new to ebay so, along with a **** load of other people, i bought an xbox off him. We all got ripped off. Thankfully between ebay/paypal we got most of the money back. But it still broke my heart not to get my xbox.

I'll give you 50 through paypal. You'll have to wait until tomorrow though as its payday ;)

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Are you not even able to enter a dispute via paypal if you've paid friends and family?

No, because you've assured them you were giving money to a friend and/or family. Absolutely unprotected.

• Advertisement

Tilikum wrote:
    Was it a new PS4 he was selling?

No but it was a ps4 pro with 5 games, a charger and one controller. He was also throwing in 6 months free online membership. It was too good to be true unfortunately.

Advertisement