Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scammed help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alexx123

L1011 wrote: »
    When used as a business, not as a personal transaction which the seller here effectively forced.

Okay, I understand the legal aspect of recouping from a 3rd party versus family, but for the lokes of, Boards Fantasy Football pay leagues, the organiser usually request that you pay through "Family and Friends".

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Did you use your credit card through Paypal, if so you could get on to your credit card supplier for a refund as you never received the goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

alexx123 wrote: »
    Okay, I understand the legal aspect of recouping from a 3rd party versus family, but for the lokes of, Boards Fantasy Football pay leagues, the organiser usually request that you pay through "Family and Friends".

That spares them having to pay the fees. If something went wrong you would have no recourse via PayPal however.

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Did you use your credit card through Paypal, if so you could get on to your credit card supplier for a refund as you never received the goods

Not true. PayPal fulfilled what they received the funds from the CC for i.e. pass payment to a friend or family member of the OP, as she requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The seller could buy Bitcoins or whatever by now.

It used to be that the seller would have to use bank to withdraw funds, but now it is easier. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Wheety wrote:
    The whole throwing the toys out of the prams, saying his account was locked. That's part of the scam. Even though you're not entitled to get your money back, I'd still contact Paypal. If a few people report him, his account may actually be frozen.

The thing is he said he sent the package yesterday. When I asked him with he said 'what does it matter' I'm more concentrating on getting my money back'.. and I replied that while I understood his issue I still paid for something to be sent by courier and have no tracking number for. He told me he was trying to sleep and not to be contacting him and that he had lost a ps4 and his money I sent him. He has not been online on adverts in 4 hours.

Actually 6 hours since he was online on adverts. His account is still active and he is sms verified. So adverts have his name, phone number and address but under data protection they cannot tell me but can tell the gardai. That's if the gardai follow it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I will put €20 into the kitty if you want to send me a pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 The Red m

lukesmom wrote: »
    Actually 6 hours since he was online on adverts. His account is still active and he is sms verified. So adverts have his name, phone number and address but under data protection they cannot tell me but can tell the gardai. That's if the gardai follow it up.

SMS verified doesn't mean much really. Anyone can get a cheap SIM card for the purpose of scamming people. It's worth a try by telling the guards anyway.

Go to the Gardaí if nothing arrives tomorrow. Tell them the full story and that Adverts have all his details available but will only give them to the Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Some proper scum out there. I sell some stuff on adverts too and will never accept PayPal. The scam can work the other way too, pay by PayPal, say the goods never turned up, get a refund from PayPal, keep the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ok please pm me your paypal address you will get 3 amounts of 50 through as I will be letting the other 2 know your paypal id also

Don't send as 'friends and family'!

Was just reading through some of his messages to me. He was very courteous right up until I had paid him and just after he told me he had sent it things changed. His tone and the accusations. I can't understand how his account is still active and he hasn't been thrown off the site when the mods know and are watching him?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I dont want to come across as cruel, but I expected you to be new to online shopping/trading OP. Newbies/luddites often get caught out.

As somebody with 496 previous adverts you would think you might be familiar with the process by now. A hard lesson to learn, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

I would like to help out too. I'll put in €30 if you pm me the details and if I can figure out how to send it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You need to be careful out there...the scammers will try anything these days..

I heard they are now resorting to sob stories on message boards about getting caught themselves and money taken that their poor child was saving for a lifetime is now gone, playing all innocent and everything....

They are luring in good honest people with donations for literally typing a few words online, preying on there good nature and soft side. At first they refuse but then reluctantly start accepting them...frankly its disgusting

you have been warned....

Warning, The above paragraph was written in jest and is no way reflective on any persons in this tread or in real life. It is based purely on fictional characters and events..I guess after that I will have to submit a small donation. I will see what I can manage if you PM paypal details

• Registered Users Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

L1011 wrote: »
    When used as a business, not as a personal transaction which the seller here effectively forced.

Just for reference for future buyers, the seller can't 'force' anything. The seller can ask - it is up to any buyer to check it out and NOT go ahead with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

that sucks, I think there's a few on here that would like to donate towards the young fellas ps4, I'll throw in 50quid if you want to send on your paypal address.

Im sure the OP is genuine, but I think people are mad to start donating, seriously.
    SBPhoto wrote: »

Do this OP if your paypal is paid through a CC
    Not true. PayPal fulfilled what they received the funds from the CC for i.e. pass payment to a friend or family member of the OP, as she requested.

This happened to me, over a quite small amount with someone on adverts, they had a lot of good feedback but a few bad ones which were similar, their response was hostile and they refused/could not provide confirmation they sent the item, so I suspected it was a scam and that more people were caught and not complaining about the seller. I considered they were probably using it to bring in a lot of low value euro bids and then people would not complain when they were stung, I reported it to Adverts and to paypal. Both adverts and paypal were useless, my feedback in adverts was even deleted. Paypal went nowhere as the seller insisted I pay using friends and family method. I reported it to my credit card provider and I got my refund in the end and I NEVER pay for anything through adverts in advance, just cash in hand collection. I stopped using Adverts altogether for a long time as they were completely useless and unhelpful.

ForestFire wrote:
    They are luring in good honest people with donations for literally typing a few words online, preying on there good nature and soft side. At first they refuse but then reluctantly start accepting them...frankly its disgusting

ForestFire wrote:

ForestFire wrote:

ForestFire wrote:
    I heard they are now resorting to sob stories on message boards about getting caught themselves and money taken that their poor child was saving for a lifetime is now gone, playing all innocent and everything....

ForestFire wrote:

ForestFire wrote:
    you have been warned....

ForestFire wrote:
    Warning, The above paragraph was written in jest and is no way reflective on any persons in this tread or in real life. It is based purely on fictional characters and events..I guess after that I will have to submit a small donation. I will see what I can manage if you PM paypal details

No thanks. I would never scam anybody. I'm too honest.

ED E wrote:
    I dont want to come across as cruel, but I expected you to be new to online shopping/trading OP. Newbies/luddites often get caught out.

ED E wrote:
    As somebody with 496 previous adverts you would think you might be familiar with the process by now. A hard lesson to learn, but still.

Yes I've been using adverts a long time. I have over 200 positive feedback, no neutral or negative not one. I have never ever been scammed. Not once in 8 years on adverts until yesterday. I think the mods are quite helpful but their hands are tied in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

Just sent through the €30 there. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

It is true, happened to me with a camera some years ago, no joy with the seller or paypal. got a full refund from my credit card company

ZeroCool17 wrote:
    Just sent through the €30 there. Best of luck.

Thanks so so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Op you must have gotten well over €200 now if the people who say they are donating on this thread have all done so?
    Perhaps you could donate any extra to a charity.

Theres plenty of refuges and places that people literally have nothing if people are looking for places to donate to as well :)

jacksie66 wrote:
    I'd love to help aswell but just got stung for 1000 euro myself. Bought a car last week and the engine went after 4 days. Some people are just scum..

Ah no is there no comeback from that at all? That's just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭ForestFire

No thanks. I would never scam anybody. I'm too honest.

You do realise it was just a joke? And as clearly stated not directed at you but more how quickly you got such generous support from complete strangers?

Op you must have gotten well over €200 now if the people who say they are donating on this thread have all done so? Perhaps you could donate any extra to a charity.

Theres plenty of refuges and places that people literally have nothing if people are looking for places to donate to.

Hi I have 180 euro donated. Thanks so much for keeping track and for the suggestion to donate any extra to charity that's a super idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'll throw twenty in the kitty. More for your son so he doesn't lose out. It's a round of drinks. I can afford it.

Also I'm a litigation solicitor so pm me your details and I'll see if there's a civil case I can assist with and let's see if we can get it back that way.

• Advertisement

ForestFire wrote:
    You do realise it was just a joke? And as clearly stated not directed at you but more how quickly you got such generous support from complete strangers?

Yes some people are very good.

Advertisement