Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I walked out after 29 minutes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I only read a handful of posts from this thread but I rated it terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I was going to give an honest answer to your question but ........... I won't ......... I'll instead just say each to their own, different strokes etc. :)

You do know what forum you're posting on, right? It's not exactly a wild, obscure notion that fans of film and cinema might want to write their thoughts somewhere about movies they watch; no more than ... you know... this forum encourages people to do? Or the entire Critical Review industry that exists in newspapers, blogs, TV, radio, podcasts etc. etc.

There's no point being sly or coy; you obviously feel it's odd or wrong to do so, but then you act like it's a radical obscure idea ? :confused:

As for the going to the cinema on your own, give me a break. I've absolutely gone to the cinema on my own, because why not? There have been films I wanted to enjoy in the cinema, but didn't know anyone who'd be interested in that sort of film - I'm not going to abstain from something I'll enjoy doing, because random strangers silently sitting in the dark of the cinema might judge me. It's not a night club. :rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

buried wrote: »
    I started watching it, then I stopped watching it because I thought it was terrible. I'm sure you can understand that yourself, never done something similar yourself I suppose?

We've all done it. I've felt like doing it for a couple of movies but stuck it out to the end for some unknown reason. Zoolander 2 was one I should have bailed on early.

I think you know if a film is going to be good or atrocious from early on.

Having said that, some films start bad and improve, usually comedies where it takes time to build up the jokes. I thought CHIPS was a bit like this. No laughs for the first half hour and then a few decent laughs after that.

3,141 to be exact. With the latest being Killer: A Journal of A Murderer, from 1995, starring the fantastic James Woods. Some people collect stamps, I keep a record of the films I watch. In the end, we're all going to have wasted our time with pointless stuff.

Gotta love James Woods, I have a copy of that movie on VHS. His Twitter account is something to behold these days! He reckons modern cinema has been destroyed by liberal tendencies, and I'm thinking he is not far off the money.

I wish I had kept a digital diary of all the movies I've watched, I think its a cool thing to do, something a true film fanatic would only appreciate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I just walked out of girls trip after 30 or so minutes mainly because it was awful and I could tell it wasn't gonna get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭budgemook

I just walked out of girls trip after 30 or so minutes mainly because it was awful and I could tell it wasn't gonna get better.

what rating out of 10 would you give it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I did leave Mad Max: Fury Road after being really bored for the first hour though...

I find this mad! I get it's not for everyone but are you bored by pulse-pounding action?

Arghus wrote: »
    I willing to bet that that the inital post about going to cinema on your own on a Saturday night was a joke.

Why? What if you want to go see something in the cinema that no one else would go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

OP, did you ever see Hot Fuzz, The World's End, or Shaun of the Dead? Just wondering how you rated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

I enjoyed baby driver a lot but many of the characters were paper thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

budgemook wrote: »
    what rating out of 10 would you give it?

I'd give it quite a low rating, 3/10 at best. On the one hand I don't know if you can judge a 2 hour film on 30 minutes of it, on the other I think I got the tone of the film, the jokes, and whatever relevant from that half an hour to make a judgement.

I'm also unsure since I'm pretty sure a film about 4 outgoing loud black women who live in America and love partying and what not clearly isn't designed for, or catering to me. But yeah, its rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

OP, did you ever see Hot Fuzz, The World's End, or Shaun of the Dead? Just wondering how you rated them.

Seen 'Shaun of the Dead' when it first came out back many years ago. Thought it was ok, not my thing though really. Never watched it again, Never watched those other ones, just never wanted to. I had always thought the two lead actors had written and directed the zombie film for some reason, so I assumed they had also done those other ones too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I haven't seen Baby Driver yet but I like Edgar Wrights Movies and I have a good feeling so I am going to give it 8.7 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Gotta love James Woods, I have a copy of that movie on VHS. His Twitter account is something to behold these days! He reckons modern cinema has been destroyed by liberal tendencies, and I'm thinking he is not far off the money.
    Modern cinema has definitely been changed by liberal tendencies, anyways. Another great (and hilarious) James Woods film I watched for the first time recently, Cop (1988), (was on Netflix, but has since left), has Woods' character, the lead and "good guy", say stuff like "Okay, let's go get that fagg*t." Has a brilliant ending, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Seen 'Shaun of the Dead' when it first came out back many years ago. Thought it was ok, not my thing though really. Never watched it again, Never watched those other ones, just never wanted to. I had always thought the two lead actors had written and directed the zombie film for some reason, so I assumed they had also done those other ones too.

I think we've stumbled upon the issue here. All of the above movies, as well as Scott Pilgrim and now Baby Driver, were directed by the same director: Edgar Wright. Who in my mind is an insanely talented and funny director, but he does have a very particular visual style. It obviously wasn't your cup of tea, as you state above.

Like, I'd never go see a "Fast and Furious" movie, but enough people have gone to them to ensure they've made billions altogether.

I wouldn't buy or listen to One Direction, nor would I see them live.

These things aren't "my thing". A less mature approach would be to say "they are sh*te" but it's better to do what you just did, and say it's just not what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

I think we've stumbled upon the issue here. All of the above movies, as well as Scott Pilgrim and now Baby Driver, were directed by the same director: Edgar Wright. Who in my mind is an insanely talented and funny director, but he does have a very particular visual style. It obviously wasn't your cup of tea, as you state above.

Like, I'd never go see a "Fast and Furious" movie, but enough people have gone to them to ensure they've made billions altogether.

I wouldn't buy or listen to One Direction, nor would I see them live.

These things aren't "my thing". A less mature approach would be to say "they are sh*te" but it's better to do what you just did, and say it's just not what you're into.

Well here's to being mature then! But it wasn't just the particular visual style I had a problem with. It was poorly written, it had poor, really poor characters. The dialogue was absolutely atrocious. It had no depth to any of it.

Your talking about not buying or listening to One Direction. Well, what do you do if you hear them on the radio? I mean, would you just sit there listening to it like a mature lunatic, or do you get away from the noise or switch the channel because you actually do think it is $hite?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I find this mad! I get it's not for everyone but are you bored by pulse-pounding action?

Where you saw pulse-pounding action, I saw a car chase, followed by a stop for some dialogue, followed by a car chase, followed by a stop for dialogue. It became clear after an hour that not much else would really happen so I cut my losses!

Also, the things like the guy playing guitar on the back of the truck with the flames going all just seemed too juvenile to enjoy. The stunt co-ordination was fantastic but not enough to keep me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fury Road kind of felt like the cinematic equivalent of me going out all riled up for a couple of pints and then having to turn back halfway to the pub because I left the immersion on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Why? What if you want to go see something in the cinema that no one else would go to?

That's what I'm saying: He was joking! Taking the piss out of The OP! There's nothing weird about going to the cinema on your own.

Serious sense of humour fail all around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Nobody can judge a movie based on 29 minutes. Thanks for your review, though.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    That's what I'm saying: He was joking! Taking the piss out of The OP! There's nothing weird about going to the cinema on your own.

Serious sense of humour fail all around here!

Think myself and the other person replying to you thought you were referring to OP's post

Think myself and the other person replying to you thought you were referring to OP's post

Well, just to be clear: I wasn't.

Absolutely nothing wrong going to the cinema on your own, sure, it has to be done sometimes.

Going back the crux of the issue: yeah I think it's reasonable to say after a half an hour that a film sometimes isn't for you and it's a viewers prerogative to keep watching if they want to or not, but any "review" that might come out of that experience is really only a review of the first half hour of the film and can't really be seen to have much weight in terms of at least trying to assess the objective quality of a film as a whole.

Personally if I only watched a third of a film I wouldn't review it, because, in my mind, I haven't actually watched the movie. I could say "wasn't for me" and explain why, but that's not the same thing as a review - which I would view as an attempt to write about a film taken as a whole.

It's like someone setting out to review an album and then giving up after the first few songs - sure what good is that!

Modern cinema has definitely been changed by liberal tendencies, anyways. Another great (and hilarious) James Woods film I watched for the first time recently, Cop (1988), (was on Netflix, but has since left), has Woods' character, the lead and "good guy", say stuff like "Okay, let's go get that fagg*t." Has a brilliant ending, too.

Yeah love that one.

I'm sure you've seen Salvador which I think is his best performance, but you might not have seen Ghosts of Mississippi a cracking film where he plays a terrible son of a bitch called Byron Deal Beckwith masterfully, and Indictment the McMartin Trial another brilliant flick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Yeah love that one.

I'm sure you've seen Salvador which I think is his best performance, but you might not have seen Ghosts of Mississippi a cracking film where he plays a terrible son of a bitch called Byron Deal Beckwith masterfully, and Indictment the McMartin Trial another brilliant flick

You should check out "The Choirboys 1977" Great Cop Movie :P

As fur Baby Driver...Crap Movie:mad:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Tbh I never seen such a storm in a teacup over something small. Can't believe it turned into a thread.

It's good to see a bit of activity here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Baby Driver 2017

I thought this was awful. An IDIOT friend of mine recommended this to me as I'm a big fan of crime films. The only good aspect I got out of watching this thing was gaining the knowledge never to listen to that person's "crime" film recommendations ever again. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a more edgier crime film than this. I knew I was going to have problems right from the musical-ish get go. I left after 29 minutes and was glad to be out. The derivative, gimmicky, cartoon colour cheese nearly suffocated me. Also, even though a big music fan myself, there is nothing worse than having to listen or even remotely hear what somebody else is listening to on their own headphones as they prance about like a t!t, either on-screen or in reality. It's not funny, clever or cool, its just plain annoying. Awful awful stuff

zero out of 10

Mod note: this post and the following discussion was originally posted in the recently watched thread.

You give a film a rating when you haven't even seen it all, that's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

Ah the first 3 minutes are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Lol is this thread still going its taken a life of its own lmao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Can open worms everywhere.

Advertisement