Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I walked out after 29 minutes...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Yeah love that one.

I'm sure you've seen Salvador which I think is his best performance, but you might not have seen Ghosts of Mississippi a cracking film where he plays a terrible son of a bitch called Byron Deal Beckwith masterfully, and Indictment the McMartin Trial another brilliant flick
    I haven't seen those, thanks for the suggestions. I think I might just have a James Woods movie marathon soon. This could also just be the James Woods appreciation thread. There's a High School in Rhode Island named after the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

buried wrote: »
    Well here's to being mature then! But it wasn't just the particular visual style I had a problem with. It was poorly written, it had poor, really poor characters. The dialogue was absolutely atrocious. It had no depth to any of it.

I really don't agree with any of that. And it's not just me, the movie upon release had something like a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, 5 star reviews in the likes of Empire and the Guardian. Now, I understand no movie will be for everyone; I'm sure some people think the Godfather or Pulp Fiction are "sh*te" but... that kind of opinion is really the exception.

Not saying that you're the only one that didn't like Baby Driver either (even though you didn't see it), but I'd be pretty confident to say that no, it wasn't poorly written, the characters weren't poor, and there was no issue with the dialogue. In fact, the delivery of the dialogue is what made it.
    buried wrote: »
    Your talking about not buying or listening to One Direction. Well, what do you do if you hear them on the radio? I mean, would you just sit there listening to it like a mature lunatic, or do you get away from the noise or switch the channel because you actually do think it is $hite?

Well it depends on the situation, but I certainly wouldn't fly off the handle about it. Life's too short. I mean, I wouldn't run out the door of a supermarket just because it was playing over the PA. Anyway I never listen to the radio, only my own music, so I have 100% control over what I listen to. If I'm out and about and One Direction are playing somewhere, then I'm just hearing it, I'm not "listening" to it. So I can tune it out / not pay attention to it. So it has no impact on my life whatsoever.

You went to Baby Driver maybe expecting something like Heat, or Drive, or any number of noir-esque heist thrillers. Sorry you were misled. I walked out of Frozen (sorry kids, see you later) after half an hour or so, but I wouldn't go on about it being sh*te or giving it a 0/10 rating. In fact, my rating would've been "n/a". (I did eventually see the rest of it and while it definitely wasn't for me (or, thankfully, my kids) I have the maturity to understand this and appreciate that those who it was aimed towards would love it).

This thread wouldn't be the way it is if you'd left out the "0/10" bit at the end of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

All the guy did was walk out of a movie because he personally thought it was poo and had the temerity to rate it 0/10. This is the most anal thread I've seen in a long while. In the words of Elsa from Frozen, let it go…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I watched the whole thing. It's a massive load of balls. Edgar Wright is the most overhyped director out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

jooksavage wrote: »
    I watched the whole thing. It's a massive load of balls. Edgar Wright is the most overhyped director out there.

Bet you wish you had walked out after 29 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

pixelburp wrote: »
    You do know what forum you're posting on, right? It's not exactly a wild, obscure notion that fans of film and cinema might want to write their thoughts somewhere about movies they watch; no more than ... you know... this forum encourages people to do? Or the entire Critical Review industry that exists in newspapers, blogs, TV, radio, podcasts etc. etc.

There's no point being sly or coy; you obviously feel it's odd or wrong to do so, but then you act like it's a radical obscure idea ? :confused:

As for the going to the cinema on your own, give me a break. I've absolutely gone to the cinema on my own, because why not? There have been films I wanted to enjoy in the cinema, but didn't know anyone who'd be interested in that sort of film - I'm not going to abstain from something I'll enjoy doing, because random strangers silently sitting in the dark of the cinema might judge me. It's not a night club. :rolleyes::)

I'm aware of what Forum I'm on as I frequent it quite often ........... there's a stereotype associated with being a Film Fan (geeky, nerdy etc.) which is, for the most part, inaccurate but going to the cinema alone on a Saturday night, keeping "digital diaries" and counts of the movies you watch confound the stereotype that Film Fans are "weird lonely saddos" ......... I'm a Film Fan but I, like most Film Fans, don't fit the stereotype.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Roughly 29 minutes into Man Up and I'm considering wwalking out..... except I'm at home and too lazy to leave the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

What's exactly is wrong with being some stranger's definition of "weird"? What is "normal"? I've went to the cinema alone and keep film counts, I've also had multiple threesomes, I don't think I'm a lonely saddo. To pick a random film celebrity, I bet Quentin Tarantino keeps film counts, or something similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This thread is hilarious

PS going to a movie alone is great if you don't want people yapping at you or to pass the time or just nobody happens to have the same taste!!

PPS I have seen 0 mins of Baby Driver

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ive read the first 29 posts of this thread then left.

I'm rating it 10/10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What's exactly is wrong with being some stranger's definition of "weird"? What is "normal"? I've went to the cinema alone and keep film counts, I've also had multiple threesomes, I don't think I'm a lonely saddo. To pick a random film celebrity, I bet Quentin Tarantino keeps film counts, or something similar.

The genius Quentin Tarantino accurately describes himself as a "geek" .........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It boggles my mind how anyone could have an issue with someone keeping track of what films they've watched. I mean, really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've seen a lot of threads in my time here, but this just might be the strangest of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Holy crap, the grief the OP is getting here is nuts.

Of course you can rate a film after 29mins. Why not? In any aspect of life you make judgements without having all the facts.

So is the problem that he gave a 0 rather than just saying "didn't like it so gave up" ?

Grow up people. He thought it was rubbish so gave it a 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Holy crap, the grief the OP is getting here is nuts.

Of course you can rate a film after 29mins. Why not? In any aspect of life you make judgements without having all the facts.

So is the problem that he gave a 0 rather than just saying "didn't like it so gave up" ?

Grow up people. He thought it was rubbish so gave it a 0.

It's glaringly obvious why it's folly to review a film having not seen the majority of it.

Sure you can rate it all you want but your really aren't in a position to, all things being told.

I'm sure this thread would never have appeared if the OP had said something like " I walked out after 29 minutes, it was awful. I'd rate the bit I saw 0/10.." then we wouldn't have heard another word.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

adox wrote: »
    It's glaringly obvious why it's folly to review a film having not seen the majority of it.

Sure you can rate it all you want but your really aren't in a position to, all things being told.

I'm sure this thread would never have appeared if the OP had said something like " I walked out after 29 minutes, it was awful. I'd rate the bit I saw 0/10.." then we wouldn't have heard another word.

Really? I watched the first half hour or so of Seth Rogen's The Green Hornet and I think I can unequivocally say it was complete shít. I doubt very much that watching the last hour would have redeemed it. That's an easy one because it's universally derided as being a dreadful movie but sometimes 29 minutes really is long enough to know that a movie really isn't going to work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I think there's the makings of a new thread: "Movies that got better after the first half hour".

Or "Movies that you thought were sh*ite until you saw the end and then you loved it".

There's plenty of movies, that if you didn't see the end, you'd be lost. Imagine seeing The Prestige without knowing the ending, or Se7en.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

I walked out of 2001 A Space Oddity after ten minutes.
    Space?? It just seemed to be about a pack of monkeys. Jeez.

cml387 wrote: »
    I walked out of 2001 A Space Oddity after ten minutes.
    Space?? It just seemed to be about a pack of monkeys. Jeez.

I walked out 20 minutes into From Dusk Til Dawn. Looked like it was going down the boring heist goes wrong route with nothing unusual happening in it at all…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If the movie got better from minute 30 onwards, that wouldn't redeem it, if it was genuinely **** for the first 29. A good film should be watchable from start to finish. It can't be a good film if the first half hour is poor.

(BTW, I haven't seen Baby Driver. The name alone put me off it. Having now looked at the trailer, it looks interesting. Don't know if I'm allowed to make a judgement from a 2 minute trailer though).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

It is an overhyped ****e film.Saw it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

I started reading this thread and I don't intend to finish it because of OPs horrible attempt at critiquing a film he watched a quarter of.

1/10, would not follow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Good on you OP , life is just too short to be watching movies or finishing books you think are rubbish .

I used to be a purist too in my young days and all books and movies had to be finished , not any more - there are too many truly great movies and books out there unseen and unread to be wasting any more time on ones I know are not to my taste.

And of course you can give it 0/10 just as anyone reading your review can give that 0/10 for whatever reason they like .

Too many rule makers on here imho

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think there's the makings of a new thread: "Movies that got better after the first half hour".

Or "Movies that you thought were sh*ite until you saw the end and then you loved it".

There's plenty of movies, that if you didn't see the end, you'd be lost. Imagine seeing The Prestige without knowing the ending, or Se7en.

in fairness though were you tempted to walk out of either of those after 29 minutes? They were both good films up until the end. the ending was just the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Had to go see Baby Driver off the back of this thread. Had to leave after 28 mins, shoite. Am I in the lead now?

Liamalone wrote: »
    Had to go see Baby Driver off the back of this thread. Had to leave after 28 mins, shoite. Am I in the lead now?

I turned around just before I got to the cinema door because it was so shíte. I win.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I have to agree with the OP, and it's possibly an age thing. In my younger days I might have felt it was necessary to wait until the bitter end of a film to see if it improved, but now, knowing that the clock is ticking, I am more than happy to give up on a film if it's not worth my time.

I get the impression that the majority of the naysayers on this thread would still have more tomorrows than yesterdays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Liamalone wrote:
    Left after 36 mins though. Still thought it was great.

Liamalone wrote:

Stop lying. You already told us you left after 36 minutes and you thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I have to agree with the OP, and it's possibly an age thing. In my younger days I might have felt it was necessary to wait until the bitter end of a film to see if it improved, but now, knowing that the clock is ticking, I am more than happy to give up on a film if it's not worth my time.

I get the impression that the majority of the naysayers on this thread would still have more tomorrows than yesterdays.

It's not an age issue, I'll absolutely stop watching a movie if it's not my thing. I probably won't go on to Boards and write a review of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

tedpan wrote: »
    Stop lying. You already told us you left after 36 minutes and you thought it was great.

Ya got me, I haven't even seen a minute of it :D

Advertisement