Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

So, of late I've been a bit struggling wtih the plan because I've had a lot of life events etc which were disrupting my normal routine. So the past few days I've been using MyFitnessPal to calorie count, which allows me 1550 calories per day to lose 1.5lbs per week on average.

Whilst a lot of what I've started to do by following Slimming World is definitely helping me keep my calories down (staples such as frylight, bacon medallions, low fat milk, fage total 0%, be good bread) I'm starting to question their policy on fruit as a free food. MFP puts an average banana (which i know isnt speed) at 110 calories for example, and an apple at 80 calories. If you ate the two together as a snack which would totally be on plan, thats a very easy 200ish calories which could be eaten pretty mindlessly IMO.

I might just calorie count for the next week and see how I get on. Today for example I'll be having overnight oats, 2x toast 2x poached eggs and 3 bacon medallions and some ballymaloe relish, one banana (which is where I realised how high in calories they are) and slimming world chips with steak and side salad. I've had 2 americanos with light milk and I'm also budgeting 3x vodka soda waters for later.

Now I realise that a lot of the above is SW friendly but I didnt food optimise my lunch and I've definitely eaten less fruit than I've done on other days.

Does anyone else keep track of their calories as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Counting calories of fruit and veg is a bit obsessive/unhealthy/unsustainable for me. The whole point of SW is that you're not obsessing over calories?

tk123 wrote: »
    Counting calories of fruit and veg is a bit obsessive/unhealthy/unsustainable for me. The whole point of SW is that you're not obsessing over calories?

Well, I don't suffer from obsessing over calories luckily.

I just feel like sometimes I'm only eating an apple to optimise my plate or whatever and when I look at the calories, it seems a bit of a waste in certain circumstances. I've zero issue with the speed veg however, you've to eat a serious amount of that for it to register and notable amount of calories.

When I was fully following SW, I felt more off kilter if I was traveling for example and didnt have control of my food. Because I wasnt able to follow the plan, I felt more likely to say "feck it" and eat whatever. Now, I feel like if I go to a restaurant and order something that is say 600 calories for my dinner, I won't be doing my weightloss and real harm, regardless of whether its food optimised for example.

Ah yeah it's all about balance but I'm sure if you've been at group somebody blames a pear on their gain when they probably had some junk :p. I don't think an extra apple will do any harm though the speed is there for fibre too.
    I used to love those photos of a big HUGE meal of half say spuds and half meat then 'I had a mandarin/apple/etc for speed while I was making it' - you'd need an apple the size of a football to balance it lol! :p:p

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah yeah it's all about balance but I'm sure if you've been at group somebody blames a pear on their gain when they probably had some junk :p. I don't think an extra apple will do any harm though the speed is there for fibre too.
    I used to love those photos of a big HUGE meal of half say spuds and half meat then 'I had a mandarin/apple/etc for speed while I was making it' - you'd need an apple the size of a football to balance it lol! :p:p

Ha, exactly. Unless you're very close to target and therefore have very little margin for error, if you're up theres usually a reason and it won't be one apple or one pear.

I suppose what I really mean is knowledge about calories is helping me with a bit of perspective. Like maybe some weekend I'll have porridge pancakes for breakfast, a sandwich on be good bread for lunch, and maybe spend all my syns on vodka that night. Now technically I'm eating my hex b and my syns and an extra portion of bread so I'm off plan, but now, if I can make the lot come in between 1500-1600 calories, then I'm still good.

I guess what Im really saying is that some days I probably go over my various allowances (hex a, b, syns) but if I can ensure that my calories are reasonable, even though I'm off plan, the day need not be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Annani

I wouldn't personally count calories.

Slimming World is a whole different approach and it works. I'm close to my target weight.

Bananas and apple may be a certain calorie value but I can't see anyone over doing on apples or bananas.

They also have fibre and vitimins minerals and water.

I could however easily polish of a packet of biscuits! And that's why they have syn value I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

SozBbz wrote: »
    I just feel like sometimes I'm only eating an apple to optimise my plate or whatever and when I look at the calories, it seems a bit of a waste in certain circumstances.

But if you eat the speed first and then only eat as much of the rest until you're full, it means you're using the speed to fill up. You aren't supposed to make a meal that fills you, and then make it 50% bigger so that a 1/3 of the plate is speed. It's supposed to be that the meal that fills you is 1/3 speed.

But yeah, bananas are not good for weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Does anyone follow the red/green plan

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

any one know how often one is obliged to weigh in when you are free in SW?
    Thanks in advance:)

banoffe2 wrote: »
    any one know how often one is obliged to weigh in when you are free in SW?
    Thanks in advance:)

once every 8 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I hope everyone had a good week.

Either my scales is broken, or I did well. One week in and am 5.75lb down.

I even had a session on Saturday but avoided Chinese the night before and McDonald's the morning after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Can anyone give me an example of what they eat working during the 9/5 working day, including breakfasts.
    I think my meals may be more free than speed which is why I'm not seeing big losses. I also think I might be eating too much.
    Breakfast, snacks and lunch would be a very helpful guide. Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Can anyone give me an example of what they eat working during the 9/5 working day, including breakfasts.
    I think my meals may be more free than speed which is why I'm not seeing big losses. I also think I might be eating too much.
    Breakfast, snacks and lunch would be a very helpful guide. Thanks in advance!

Breakfast: 40g Oats, Muller Light (vanilla with dark chocolate sprinkles, and strawberries) - I really pile the the strawberries into this for extra speed.
    Snacks: I snack mainly on free, rather than on speed, so slices of ham, boiled egg, very very rarely may have a mugshot (if hunger is hitting at work around 4pm, and it's gonna be a few hours until dinner).
    Lunch: Chopped salads (sweet chilli sauce is 2 syns - pile in the speed foods), baked potato with beans and fruit on the side or side salad, baked potato with salad and tuna, baked potato with salads and maybe cheese as HEA, an omelette/quiche packed with speed veg, leftovers from last night's dinner (e.g. bolognese, pasta dishes, etc).

My most typucal breakfast is overnight oats which I make with 20g oats, frozen raspberries and fage total 0%. I really don't like muller lights as to me they're too artificial, and find the flavour/sweetness from the raspberries to be enough anyway.

Lunches are the most tricky for me. If I'm working from home then its no problem but in the office its a bit tricky. If i don't have leftovers to bring in, I tend to try to pick my way around the salad bar focusing on free/speed foods and plain chicken for protein.

Dinners can be almost anything once you make the recipe SW friendly. popular choices include chili, bolognaise, tomato based pasta sauces, turkey burgers, steak, slimming world chips and lots and lots of salad with every dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Okay after reading both of those typical days I don't think I'm doing it right. Defo not enough speed, maybe not enough food?

Breakfast: 1 x muller light smooth toffee

11am - Banana and orange, occasionally a fibre one bar too.

Lunch - Mugshot, sugar free jelly and another muller light

P.M - sometimes an alpen light bar, more often than not nothing.

I'm always starving by the time I get home, as in absolutely ravenous.

Dinner is usually stir fry cooked in a stock melt, peppers, mangetout, baby sweetcorn and chicken with boiled rice.

I keep breaking out and eating loads of crap and now I'm starting to think it may be because I'm not eating enough during the day at work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

This Saturday night I decided to make my own take away style dinner. I made corn on the cob with piri-piri spices, the kfc chicken, home made onion rings and the SW chips, oh my god what a feast! It was all syn free, I was going to make the mayflower gravy with it as well but I forgot. The whole thing from start to serve only took 40 minutes. Started with the corn, threw it in the oven, put the chips in the airfryer (I had them chopped and frozen as I find they cook better from frozen in the air fryer), then did the kfc chicken, threw it in the oven and finally the onion rings. By the time I had the few things washed and cleared away it was time to serve up! My Mom and Dad loved all of it! Felt like such a treat but it was all so healthy!

Okay after reading both of those typical days I don't think I'm doing it right. Defo not enough speed, maybe not enough food?

Dinner is usually stir fry cooked in a stock melt, peppers, mangetout, baby sweetcorn and chicken with boiled rice.

I keep breaking out and eating loads of crap and now I'm starting to think it may be because I'm not eating enough during the day at work. :(

Your daily food there before dinner would not fill me in the slightest!

I love breakfast, and if I don't eat a fairly substantial one, I find I am not at 100% for the day. Could you add fruit at least to your breakfast? And maybe some oats?

Lunch you could bulk out with more speed also - quick salad of spinach, pepper, grated carrot and chicken is quite tasty with balsamic vinegar. You could still eat the mugshot with this if you were hungry. I'd nearly throw the pasta in on top of it! I often use rice or noodles in my salads also.

This time of the afternoon I always eat a pack of ham or chicken - I just leave it open on the desk beside me and nibble away at it - I find it eases the hunger pangs so I'm not starving by the time I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Down one pound this week. Not great but I was out a few nights with work and didn't syn drink, plus I didn't exercise every day. At least it is still moving and still moving the right direction!

The thing that stands out to me is an over dependence on muller lights and mugshots - I've been doing SW since Feb and have never eaten either.

My advice is to focus on real, unprocessed food where possible and make sure you're eating protein with every meal in order to feel fuller for longer. Overnight oats are a great option when made with high protein yogurt (Fage, Glenisk, Aldi even do a dupe) as its zero effort in the morning, just make the night before and grab from the fridge to eat at your desk.

I'm having a bit of a fruit related wobble at the moment, but veg is always your friend. Always ask yourself ig you can add more veg! For example tonight I'm making Chili con Carne, but will be packing it full of veg. Never mind the onions and tin of tomatoes that are in the recipe, I will also grate a carrot and chop some peppers to bulk it up. Really satisfying dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Hi all,
    I'm not following SW but looking for some nutritious recipes to try out over the next few weeks.
    I'm not a great cook so nothing too complicated please!

White Roses, I'd say to ditch the muller lights and to try to have more substantial meals.
    For breakfast I'd recommend porridge with berries (takes 3 minutes in the microwave and then add berries/drizzle of honey/cinnamon) - although during the summer/warmer weather I just have some bran flakes (I should probably weigh them out) with low fat/skim milk and strawberries
    Lunch - add protein. I think I looked at some of these mug shots and the nutritional info wasn't the greatest - maybe I'm mistaken? I also really like the spicy cous cous in Aldi

• Advertisement

Down another 2 pounds this week bringing me to 2 stone 2 pounds in 12 weeks! I p[aid for another 12 weeks tonight. I'm focusing on my 2.5 stone award and will hopefully get my 3 stone award before I go on holidays mid September!

Areas wrote: »
    Down another 2 pounds this week bringing me to 2 stone 2 pounds in 12 weeks! I p[aid for another 12 weeks tonight. I'm focusing on my 2.5 stone award and will hopefully get my 3 stone award before I go on holidays mid September!

To give some context - did you have a lot to lose in the first place?

Its taken me twice as long to lose that same amount of weight so on the face of it that seems disheartening, but I suppose it all depends on where you're starting from.

Also, I've had holidays, weddings, work trips etc so had weeks that were total write offs :(

I've a lot to lose and it has taken me twice as long to use that same amount of weight also. However, there is a girl in my class who has lost 6 stone since February which is an amazing achievement. Everyone has different metabolisms, motivation and commitment, and while it can be disheartening to see large losses quickly like that, my view is as long as it keeps going down overall, I'm happy. But while that is happening, I am going to enjoy life also - I still enjoy a few after work drinks or meals out with friends, go on holidays and enjoy myself and forget about it for a week at a time, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Marymidlands

Areas wrote: »

Well done. I was back today after three weeks holidays and was a pound up. Absolutely thrilled. Booked 6 week count down. Hoping to lose 2 next week for stone and half. I'll have another stone and half to go till target. Have been at sw three times before and got disillusioned at about this stage every time as my losses had plateaued. This time I'm allowing myself a break and eating loads. Great idea to aim for next half stone.

SozBbz wrote: »
    To give some context - did you have a lot to lose in the first place?

Its taken me twice as long to lose that same amount of weight so on the face of it that seems disheartening, but I suppose it all depends on where you're starting from.

Also, I've had holidays, weddings, work trips etc so had weeks that were total write offs :(

I weighed in last night at 15st 10lbs. so I started at 17st 12 lbs. Hope this helps!

I've had a few drinks here and there over the 12 weeks. I've been to a concert and drank a load of whiskey and then the next day went to 5 guys AND Nandos. But I had planned that and did SP either side of the concert. I don't really go out much anymore, I'd prefer to go to the cinema. So I have a small popcorn on that day (with a large diet coke). During the week I would be 100% on plan and use the food planner to write down my syns and speed food (I don't like fruit or veg so I probably should eat more of it!). For me I really want to get to my target weight by next May so I am really focused, and I suppose if you want to lose the weight enough, you will go the extra effort of not having the few drinks or takeaways. I enjoy making fakeaways at home, so much tastier and I don't feel crap after it or the next day. If anyone wants I can send them on a sample day or something. I don't go mad on exercise anymore because of my back, but I'm still losing a steady 2lbs a week.
    I don't think my metabolism is fast because I've always put weight on easy and I never lose it quickly. To anyone struggling, maybe commit to doing 2 full weeks on plan and see how it goes. I would recommend 2 weeks in case you don't see the effect on the 1st week but you might see more on the 2nd week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Whiteroses you're defo not having enough speed! All your meals before dinner are not filling enough in my opinion and I would be starving! The main principle of SW is to fill up on low calorie food (Speed) by having a third every meal and any time I've had a gain or maintained its because I wasn't following this. Have a look at the SW website and see an example week to get ideas or search recipes for inspiration. When I've been stuck in a rut I go back to a week where I was successful and copy it (or do a SW sample week) maybe you could try this? Hope this helps!

I have to follow my own advice now as I've been off the rails the last fortnight and need to get back in gear lol

What Scraggs said re: looking for recipes for inspiration - I have tried a large variety of new recipes since starting SW, and it makes things a bit more interesting and tasty. I also follow quite a lot of SW Instagram accounts to get ideas for new and tasty meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Definitely not enough food AT ALL. Like another poster said, try to make your meals as balanced as possible. Breakfast could be overnight oats (50g porridge oats, sliced banana, yogurt and frozen raspberries), lunch could be a chicken salad (plenty of speed and lots of filling power) and then dinner could be fish or meat, potatoes, salad or frozen veg. Having meals that fill you and are as free as possible is the ideal. You're depending a lot on processed food and the muller yogurts are great, but they're sweetener heavy. Try to eat free fruit if you're feeling hungry- mandarins, nectarines, raspberries etc. I often eat bits of ham or even smoked salmon if I'm hungry as well. It's tough at the start, but no wonder you're starving, you poor thing. Get yourself some protein :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi all,
    Found a great recipe and wanted to share. I think I got it from the SW magazine but not sure.
    SW caesar salad:

gem lettuce, tomatoes, scallions, bacon medallions, chicken breasts, parmesan (could be used as a healthy a- not too sure on that one)

Sauce: 200ml fat free natural yogurt, 1 garlic clove crushed, 1 lemon squeezed, 1 tsp mustard powder (optional- I didn't use this as I don't like mustard)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement