Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The whole rural anti Dublin thing is overblown. Fact is Dublin should be able to find it self or in part. TDs are not elected to run Dublin either.

It really isn't. And in fact Dublin could fund itself if it was allowed to. You'd quickly find the rest of the country shutting up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

The whole rural anti Dublin thing is overblown. Fact is Dublin should be able to find it self or in part. TDs are not elected to run Dublin either.

We currently have capital projects under construction in Dublin to the tune of about €350m (Luas)

At the same time, we have capital projects U/C in rural Ireland to the tune of €1bn (M17/18/Enniscorthy BP/New Ross BP)

More people will use the new tram line daily than all those roads put together.

Dublin has no means to fund itself as it's split into four independent councils. You're right, it should have the means to do that which is why there are calls for a combined mayor, another Dublin-based initiative which is progressing at a glacial pace.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dublin and Cork are the only counties in Ireland where all the tax review raised in the county doesn't stay in the county.

In other words, Dublin and Cork finance the rest of the county.

If Cork and Dublin were allowed to keep 100% of the taxes raised there, like the rest of the country does, then the rest of the country would be much poorer and Dublin would likely be able to easily afford Dublin Metro, Dart Underground, BRT and all the other projects it needs and Cork could probably afford the Docklands Project, a Luas line, etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm really like it being called Metro Dublin. It implies that it's more than just Metro North that will be built.

Yes, it has been mentioned a few times now and it is a sensible rebranding.

It implies it is for the whole of Dublin and not just North Dublin, which will play well with influential folk in South Dublin.

On the other hand it might not play so well with the rest of the country. I've always thought that perhaps Luas North or Airport Luas or something like that might help it fly under the radar better.

Connect it better with the very popular Luas. No mention of Dublin or undergrounds to scare people away.

I suspect part of the rebranding is to distance it from the original, more expensive Metro North that Leo canned and to help make it more Leo's project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

D.L.R. wrote: »
    We currently have capital projects under construction in Dublin to the tune of about €350m (Luas)

At the same time, we have capital projects U/C in rural Ireland to the tune of €1bn (M17/18/Enniscorthy BP/New Ross BP)

More people will use the new tram line daily than all those roads put together.

Dublin has no means to fund itself as it's split into four independent councils. You're right, it should have the means to do that which is why there are calls for a combined mayor, another Dublin-based initiative which is progressing at a glacial pace.

I agree. And Dublin council should get some local income tax and all Dublin property tax etc. All we need is revenue enough to issue bonds. National government can then match asking with the EU if needed.

TDs are not elected to run Dublin and can't be expected to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

TII are effectively joining up the Dublin Local Authorities for integration purposes?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

lxflyer wrote: »
    As Grandeeod has posted, FG have never been particularly in favour of any form of investment in heavy rail over the years, and I don't see major signs of that changing - they just don't get it, and our current Taoiseach has a particular aversion to that mode.

Not investing in DART Underground and the Commuter Rail network is going to come home and bite them.

It's less to do with heavy rail and mainly because of the state and CIE ownership.

Also: The Taoiseach would have less of a aversion if he lived beside a line with the greater frequency and reliability of Dart. But for the Taoiseach, it's not just his personal views but his party's views.
    murphaph wrote: »
    For me this would not really be justified while so much of the city has no rail whatsoever. The roads in West Dublin are literally perfect for running north-south feeder routes to take people to the stations on the Kildare Route.

You're comparing apples and oranges

Dart = suburban rail, limited stop, away from many trip generators.

Luas = surface LRT, frequent stops compared to segregated rail, and would serve one of the largest shopping centres, urban centres, workplaces, schools etc.

Just checking: You're one of the people who have an issue with the most successful central section of Luas, right? What's the most important: Faster or reliable and popular?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Reinventing the wheel again and again and again.:rolleyes: There is no need for any of this. MN was hit and miss anyway without a wider Metro plan. More fudging around the place and a great internet forum topic. I'll stay with my usual opinion - won't be built. That's not negative for the sake of it either. We were here before 12 years ago and we'll still be here in 12 years time. If you think political opinion has changed then all I can suggest is watch this space. All this talk, reivention and political ping pong and we are still only looking at one Metro line since 2001. STILL!

How long have we known that they were going back to square one on the project? It's at least a year or more now?

While I disagree string with revising the project, if they are going back to planning, they might as well look at better routing, especially with less disruptive central stops -- Tara St and SSG East away from the Luas are perfect examples of that -- and they might as well not end the route at SSG.

You have been mentioning this CIE/Union thing for a while now in relation to DU as if it's fact. While there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the CIE group and in this particular instance IR, is a complete and utter mess, there is no sustantive evidence that the Government are long fingering DU because of CIE. You are making assumptions and ignoring historical evidence of very poor attitudes from successive Governments towards major rail based infrastructural projects. We have yet to deliver one, unless you count the original DART project, which I don't.

Do you listen current affairs on the radio or TV much? Never notice to the way FG TDs etc talk about CIE and Irish Rail? That's not to pass judgment on their view, but just to state it's fairly clear,
    You are talking as if MN is a done deal and the current Government are committed to it. What the current Government are doing is a useless exercise. They are redesigning a single metro line that was originally conceived by a Government lead by a different party. That different party is currently propping up the Government and yet they don't display any concern at all towards this blatant fudging. Why? Because political parties don't really care about projects like MN or DU. There is a neurotic disorder in Irish politics when it comes to a single transport infrastructure project thats costed in the billions.

Err... the different party doesn't care much because its leadership has been gutted and there was never really that widespread support for it in FF. A lot can be said about The Bert, but he got transport infrastructure better than most.
    You do realise that we are actually experiencing a complete replication of what happen 14 years ago in relation to both projects? This is obvious wash, rinse, repeat stuff. Blatant to those of us around here long enough.

We read your posts, so, it's hard to forget! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

bk wrote: »
    Dublin and Cork are the only counties in Ireland where all the tax review raised in the county doesn't stay in the county.

In other words, Dublin and Cork finance the rest of the county.

If Cork and Dublin were allowed to keep 100% of the taxes raised there, like the rest of the country does, then the rest of the country would be much poorer and Dublin would likely be able to easily afford Dublin Metro, Dart Underground, BRT and all the other projects it needs and Cork could probably afford the Docklands Project, a Luas line, etc.

All countries work like that. But while new York subsidises Montana they also collect local tax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

monument wrote: »
    While I disagree string with revising the project, if they are going back to planning, they might as well look at better routing, especially with less disruptive central stops -- Tara St and SSG East away from the Luas are perfect examples of that -- and they might as well not end the route at SSG.
    Maybe, I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but are you saying that in order to avoid disruption, we should be moving the metro stations away from existing (and future) transport links? What was wrong with the original routing?

All countries work like that. But while new York subsidises Montana they also collect local tax

I agree and completely support it.

But Montana doesn't get a say in what infrastructure NY does or does not build. That is the problem here, it isn't even necessarily taxes, it is who gets to have a say in what gets done in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

plodder wrote: »
    Maybe, I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but are you saying that in order to avoid disruption, we should be moving the metro stations away from existing (and future) transport links? What was wrong with the original routing?

It not about transport, it's about the disruption that would be caused in order to construct stations at O'Connell Bridge and SSG West - it would be a tonne easier and cheaper to use Tara St and SSG East.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You're comparing apples and oranges
    No I'm not but I think you might be.

I was asked about a heavy rail spur from the Kildare Route and I said I was not in favour of this but rather I would be in favour of buses running perpendicularly to the KR, feeding it with passengers instead. I wasn't even talking about Luas in this context :confused:
    Dart = suburban rail, limited stop, away from many trip generators.

Luas = surface LRT, frequent stops compared to segregated rail, and would serve one of the largest shopping centres, urban centres, workplaces, schools etc.

Just checking: You're one of the people who have an issue with the most successful central section of Luas, right? What's the most important: Faster or reliable and popular?
    I understand the difference between DART and Luas.

I don't really know what you're asking here. What "central section" do you mean. Please clarify.

MJohnston wrote: »
    It not about transport, it's about the disruption that would be caused in order to construct stations at O'Connell Bridge and SSG West - it would be a tonne easier and cheaper to use Tara St and SSG East.
    Whatever about Tara St. vs O'Connell bridge, but why put the Metro station on the opposite side of the green to the Luas? Hate to say it, but this could be one of those decisions that the press will be all over when the time comes. Also, what about future planning for DU? We only want to dig Stephen's green up once, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Only the smallest of mentions for DM. Not worth watching if you're not into politics

Whatever about Tara St. vs O'Connell bridge, but why put the Metro station on the opposite side of the green to the Luas? Hate to say it, but this could be one of those decisions that the press will be all over when the time comes. Also, what about future planning for DU? We only want to dig Stephen's green up once, I presume.

There's a good post by lateconnection earlier in the thread that explains it:
    A station on SSG East avoids the need to remove the Fusilier's Arch, and the temporary removal of the lake and island in SSG and its reinstatemnt upon the completion of the works. The arch, lake and island removal were necessary on original mn. Better option really, and I suppose it can still be a future DU interchange at that side of the park.

Yeah, I saw that post and meant to comment at the time. I was tempted to say would anyone miss the arch? But, I presume it would be temporary anyway. Either way, it doesn't look to me like a good reason for moving the metro station away from the luas stop. There's going to be big disruption one way or the other. It just seems to me - better to bite the bullet and do the most work possible while the park is torn asunder once. There was another post from a different poster to the effect that the Metro project is not doing anything related to DU. Again, maybe I'm taking it out of context, but I seriously hope that the station box for DU would be built as part of the Metro project.

No I'm not but I think you might be.

I was asked about a heavy rail spur from the Kildare Route and I said I was not in favour of this but rather I would be in favour of buses running perpendicularly to the KR, feeding it with passengers instead. I wasn't even talking about Luas in this context :confused:

I understand the difference between DART and Luas.

I don't really know what you're asking here. What "central section" do you mean. Please clarify.

Central = city centre

I might have quoted the wrong post of your's. This is the one I was mainly responding to when I wrote my reply:
    To be honest I've always opposed and remain opposed to Lucan Luas, either tunneled or on street.

Lucan sits between two heavy rail lines that have significant untapped capacity (DU would remedy this) and most of west Dublin should be heading to the city via these rail corridors, fed by frequent orbital bus routes on the arguably good north-south roads (M50, R113, R136 all have bus lanes or space for them but barely a bus route on any of them).

If we are to deep bore anything it should be DU and MN and after that the next deep bored line should really be between red and green lines.

Probably never see any of it though.

Lucan Luas maybe isn't the ideal project and it's routing past Ballyfermot could be more direct and support more developed along a more direct route, but overall it serves very few areas which would be also served directly by the heavy rail line and the Luas route would serve a lot of local or non-city centre trips.

I also don't know why you mention the two heavy rail lines as if the Maynooth line is anyway near most of the areas covered by the Lucan Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

In a hypothetical world where Luas green line south of harcourt is integrated into a slightly heavier metro line, is there an idea for where the Luas could be extended in a south east or south west direction from SSG/harcourt instead of terminating there?

Yeah, I saw that post and meant to comment at the time. I was tempted to say would anyone miss the arch? But, I presume it would be temporary anyway. Either way, it doesn't look to me like a good reason for moving the metro station away from the luas stop. There's going to be big disruption one way or the other. It just seems to me - better to bite the bullet and do the most work possible while the park is torn asunder once. There was another post from a different poster to the effect that the Metro project is not doing anything related to DU. Again, maybe I'm taking it out of context, but I seriously hope that the station box for DU would be built as part of the Metro project.

Obviously we have to wait and see the details. However depending on where the exit comes out, I'd assume it would be either:

- Across from Dawson Street, so 200m / 2 minutes from the Luas stop
    - Across from Kildare Street, so 350m / 4 minutes from the Luas Stop

Both well within interchange distance.

Also, they could easily move the Stephens Green Luas stop to North Stephens Green, thus putting it closer to the station entrance.

As for DU, given talk of a redesigned and simplified DU and talk of a Dublin Metro stop at Tara, I suspect there might not be a DU stop at Stephens Green, instead it might be at Tara and both meet there.

Maybe a Connolly - Tara - Christchurch - Hueston DU?

5 rather then 6 stations and shorter, would help reduce costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Central = city centre

I might have quoted the wrong post of your's. This is the one I was mainly responding to when I wrote my reply:

Lucan Luas maybe isn't the ideal project and it's routing past Ballyfermot could be more direct and support more developed along a more direct route, but overall it serves very few areas which would be also served directly by the heavy rail line and the Luas route would serve a lot of local or non-city centre trips.

I also don't know why you mention the two heavy rail lines as if the Maynooth line is anyway near most of the areas covered by the Lucan Luas.
    To me Lucan Luas is pointless, at least for a very long time. Lucan village is a 5 minute bus ride to the former Lucan North station on the Maynooth line.

The large estates are all mere minutes from a station on the Kildare Route.

You could provide a quicker route to the city for more people by running frequent feeder buses to the stations along the Kildare Route (and indeed a reopened Lucan North station).

If it is ever to be built, it should be after the rail spines to areas miles from an existing or planned rail corridors and possibly even after an orbital rail route. We're decades away from being in the nice position where we are looking at rail for local short hops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

bk wrote: »
    As for DU, given talk of a redesigned and simplified DU and talk of a Dublin Metro stop at Tara, I suspect there might not be a DU stop at Stephens Green, instead it might be at Tara and both meet there.

Maybe a Connolly - Tara - Christchurch - Hueston DU?

5 rather then 6 stations and shorter, would help reduce costs.

Connolly? Cheaper than Spencer Dock? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Right so:

Routes:

So there seems to be 4 major routes at present and various combinations of these will result in 2 final routes being sent forward for detailed consideration by the NTA. From what I gather this is being done in the next couple of weeks.

These routes aren't exact but should give you an idea. There are dozens of potential routes at present given the station combos but I'll outline 4 and ye can work out what I mean:

Route 1: Balheary P+R >>> Pavilions >>> Airside >>> Airport >>> Dardistown >>> Gullivers >>> Ballymun >>> DCU >>> Glasnevin >>> Prospect >>> city centre stations that are not O'Connell St >>> Charlemont etc...

Route 2: Balheary P+R >>> Swords/Airside/Swords Central >>> Airport >>> Dardistown >>> Gullivers >>> Ballymun >>> Millmount >>> Drumcondra >>> Parnell >>> Tara >>> St Stephen's Green East >>> Charlemont etc...

Route 3: Balheary P+R >>> Swords/Airside/Swords Central >>> Airport >>> Dardistown >>> Gullivers >>> Santry >>> DCU >>> Millmount >>> Drumcondra >>> Mountjoy Square >>> Tara >>> St Stephen's Green East >>> Charlemont etc...

Route 4: Balheary P+R >>> Pavilions >>> Airside >>> Airport >>> Dardistown >>> Gullivers >>> Ballymun >>> Millmount >>> Drumcondra >>> Parnell >>> Tara >>> St Stephen's Green East >>> Charlemont etc...

It is interesting that none of the above routes appear to include a stop at the Mater Hospital, as the original route did.

Indeed, I recall that a station box - or at least part of one - was even built there, at a cost of several million quid, to reduce disruption when the Children's Hospital was eventually built at that location.

But it now seems that the Children's Hospital is to be built at an entirely different location, and - if BonnieSituation is correct - the metro will take an entirely different route.

For a long time I have been in favour of building the metro route via Mountjoy Square, which - I believe - represents an appropriate distance between Upper O'Connell Street and Drumcondra and where there's a large open square (in need of regeneration) with a large catchment area on all sides (including the upper parts of Parnell Square, and the Mater itself).

I will be interested to see what becomes of the Mater station box if, despite the considerable expense outlayed in building it, it is not eventually part of this metro line.

It is interesting that none of the above routes appear to include a stop at the Mater Hospital, as the original route did.

Indeed, I recall that a station box - or at least part of one - was even built there, at a cost of several million quid, to reduce disruption when the Children's Hospital was eventually built at that location.

But it now seems that the Children's Hospital is to be built at an entirely different location, and - if BonnieSituation is correct - the metro will take an entirely different route.

For a long time I have been in favour of building the metro route via Mountjoy Square, which - I believe - represents an appropriate distance between Upper O'Connell Street and Drumcondra and where there's a large open square (in need of regeneration) with a large catchment area on all sides (including the upper parts of Parnell Square, and the Mater itself).

I will be interested to see what becomes of the Mater station box if, despite the considerable expense outlayed in building it, it is not eventually part of this metro line.
    The decision against the Mater site was in 2012, and the decision to go for St James was made soon after, but the report for new Metro was published in 2015 so would have been fully cognizant of that change. I'm taking the options above with a large pinch of salt.

To me Lucan Luas is pointless, at least for a very long time. Lucan village is a 5 minute bus ride to the former Lucan North station on the Maynooth line.

The large estates are all mere minutes from a station on the Kildare Route.

You could provide a quicker route to the city for more people by running frequent feeder buses to the stations along the Kildare Route (and indeed a reopened Lucan North station).

If it is ever to be built, it should be after the rail spines to areas miles from an existing or planned rail corridors hand possibly even after an orbital rail route. We're decades away from being in the nice position where we are looking at rail for local short hops.

That's a bonkers reply to what I said.

Luas is successful because it serves the full route, not just to/from the city centre. The train lines don't go anywhere near or don't directly serve one of the largest shopping centres in the country (possablly the largest?), or most of the housing estates, the business / industrial estates, the third level college, the schools, the local hospital, etc etc.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Loads of cities have both trams and metros or s/u-Bahns serving in similar directions but also serving different areas and trip types.

The population in a walking radius of Luas stops makes the idea of Dart stops on the Kildare line look like a joke (I'm not saying it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Mountjoy Square is a logical location for a few reasons - it is well connected from surrounding areas and construction of a station would be relatively non-disruptive compared to OCS.

On the other hand it is not really a commuter destination. There aren't huge employers around or potential for much development, unless Dublin Bus sells it Summerhill depot at some point.

Bray Head wrote: »
    Mountjoy Square is a logical location for a few reasons - it is well connected from surrounding areas and construction of a station would be relatively non-disruptive compared to OCS.

On the other hand it is not really a commuter destination. There aren't huge employers around or potential for much development, unless Dublin Bus sells it Summerhill depot at some point.

It would however connect in with the planned BRT if that ever gets the go-ahead.

Bray Head wrote: »

I'd say the same for Tara st. vs SSG. As a northsider it pains me to say this, but SSG is the commercial/business/retail/tourist heart of the city. Tara st. is hemmed in by the Liffey and narrow local streets (from a pedestrian pov). SSG absolutely should be the hub of the entire network. And they got that right in the original DU and MN design, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Every time I check this thread I am hoping there may be some solid progress to report but we may as well be discussing unicorns or something really, I give up!

Every time I check this thread I am hoping there may be some solid progress to report but we may as well be discussing unicorns or something really, I give up!

I don't think we're expecting any official announcement until the budget in October.

Now is the time to get the pressure on - get on the phone to your FG and FF TDs and tell them you want it to happen asap. They'll ignore letters and emails, they can't ignore a call.

• Advertisement

I'd say the same for Tara st. vs SSG. As a northsider it pains me to say this, but SSG is the commercial/business/retail/tourist heart of the city. Tara st. is hemmed in by the Liffey and narrow local streets (from a pedestrian pov). SSG absolutely should be the hub of the entire network. And they got that right in the original DU and MN design, in my opinion.

Personally I don't see that much of a difference. SSG is a park and not even a tourist destination at that. Tara St. is much closer to actual modern business district of the city, the IFSC and down the docklands where all the Googles and Facebooks are.

I do agree that the pedestrian infrastructure needs to be improved around there and I assume that would be part of any plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement