Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ozark [Netflix] (***SPOILERS***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Just watched the first episode. Another entry in "well-made, bad TV", for me. An intriguing opening, followed by 50 minutes of blandness, in the form of a Breaking Bad knockoff. Including silly stuff like the main character talking to himself out loud, while walking on the street. Jason Bateman is decent, but this isn't great television. Thanks Netflix and Bateman for the content, but no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

@Frank O. Pinion

Seems a bit harsh to judge it just on one episode. IMDB rating seems to be on the rise, it was at 8/10 last I checked and anything 8 or above on there is usually worth a shot.

That said though, there's so much good TV I already need to catch up on like GOT, Veep and Silicon Valley. I'll give it another week of the reviews coming in, both here and elsewhere, before I jump in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Besides the opening, the show had zero "oomph". Maybe some people can watch 5 boring hours of a new 10 hour Netflix series, before quitting, but I don't have the time or energy, (the 10th episode of Ozark is 80 minutes...). Most of these "Golden age of TV" shows lately are just dying to be the next Breaking Bad or next whatever. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not original or captivating.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/arts/television/review-ozark-netflix-laura-linney-jason-bateman.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

@Frank O. Pinion

Seems a bit harsh to judge it just on one episode. IMDB rating seems to be on the rise, it was at 8/10 last I checked and anything 8 or above on there is usually worth a shot.

That said though, there's so much good TV I already need to catch up on like GOT, Veep and Silicon Valley. I'll give it another week of the reviews coming in, both here and elsewhere, before I jump in.

IMDB I find is pretty harsh. Ratings and reviews across the board are pretty high across the usual sites and media for it anyway.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    IMDB I find is pretty harsh.

Exactly, so if it's 8 or above on there that's usually a good sign. I just checked and it's now at 9.2!

On the other side though, AV Club are usually very on the money with reviews and they didnt like it at all. I was given a C- rating with choice quotes like:
    Ozark plays like a computer program's idealized hybrid of Breaking Bad, Narcos, and Justified.

And

A money-laundering Jason Bateman can’t wash the stink off Ozark

That's 2 very polarized views indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it... relatively tense throughout and Bateman's always watchable IMO.

As for the "harsh opinion after one episode" comment.. I found the first episode of The Sopranos to be absolutely mindnumbing. But I'm glad I stuck with it! ;)

Fell asleep during the first episode last night. I don't think I'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

3 episodes in. It's terrible. I'm done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can't have been too bad if you watched 3 episodes in such a short space of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Weekend with no plans. Watched one episode each night this weekend.

I wanted to like it as I like Jason Bateman, I liked the trailer and I like to see comedic actors take on on darker roles, but there's really little going for it.

Thought the first episode showed a bit of promise and that it could be decent, but next 2 episodes delivered absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Shred

There was some chat about this on Newstalk the other day and It sounded interesting; I've just watched two episodes and I'm really liking it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think it's good too...
    Folk be tryin to run it down sayin it's trying to be like Breaking Bad... but they be forgettin that breaking bad was touted as the new The Wire when it gathered steam.

Better than anything else I can find at the moment anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Really enjoying it so far, about 4 episodes in

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭fitz

It's nothing like Breaking Bad.
    Really enjoyed it, and writing it off before the halfway point is a mistake. It gets better as it goes, and had a terrific finale imo.

fitz wrote: »
    It's nothing like Breaking Bad.
    Really enjoyed it, and writing it off before the halfway point is a mistake. It gets better as it goes, and had a terrific finale imo.

Well there's .... <snip> let's just say at least 6 common themes which BB has

But I still like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Easy on the spoilers there chief or is this spoilers included now?!

Easy on the spoilers there chief or is this spoilers included now?!

Think that's all in the first episode..

Edit: except one I just deleted ... sorry!

That's still a massive spoiler for the first episode

OK just edited them all out..

So can I just say it's kind of like The Wire / Breaking Bad but different :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm about 7 episode's in... and I like it but don't love it.

It's just going from one slightly menacing threat to another.. and not really gaining traction.

It's never been near as tense as the scenes with Del in the first episode.

I'll probably finish it but I'm not exactly bothered..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

It tries very hard to be like Breaking Bad. Even the official blurb describes it as such, with a touch of Fargo. But it's shíte. The bar has been set too high now for this type of nonsense. It's more akin to Justified, or Son's of Anarchy with similar amounts of plot holes and bad scripting. Peter Mullan is very good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

bajer101 wrote: »
    It tries very hard to be like Breaking Bad. Even the official blurb describes it as such, with a touch of Fargo. But it's shíte. The bar has been set too high now for this type of nonsense. It's more akin to Justified, or Son's of Anarchy with similar amounts of plot holes and bad scripting. Peter Mullan is very good though.

Watched first episode last night, jury's out yet, but thats enough to put me off it!

Is justified not meant to be great? SOA comparison would put me off too :D

No way, sons of anarchy is way more dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I finished it, enjoyed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    No way, sons of anarchy is way more dire.

If we establish a defined quality scale (call it the Hassenforder* (c) (TM) scale) from Sons of Anarchy (at 0) to Wire/Breaking Bad (10)

So where would this sit?

*we have Beaufort, Richter, Mohs...

If we establish a defined quality scale (call it the Hassenforder* (c) (TM) scale) from Sons of Anarchy (at 0) to Wire/Breaking Bad (10)

So where would this sit?

*we have Beaufort, Richter, Mohs...

Good call... Maybe the OP could throw up a poll.

On a Scale of SOA to BB, I'd put Ozark at a healthy watchable 7.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is justified not meant to be great? SOA comparison would put me off too :D

Justified is excellent and, first few episodes aside, is widely regarded as such. Insanity to diss its scripting as it's well known for its excellent dialogue.
    Sons of Anarchy is poor enough though hardly the worst.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Let's say Vinyl as 0 and The Wire as 10 then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I kinda like it, it's not great but decent TV. The whole time I was thinking that cowboy dude reminds me of an American Peter Mullan, even his voice is the same. Just found it was him, ha! I really love watching PM in anything he's been in. The small part he has in Children of Men in great.

Advertisement