Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my Team Thread 2017/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭sheroman01

De Gea

Cedric
    Trippier
    Naughton

Walters
    Miki
    Sterling
    Tadic

Kane
    Lukaku
    Jesus

Subs:----Elliot---Dummet---Long----Carroll

First draft of many. Midfield is very weak but happy elsewhere. Could downgrade Jesus to Firminho and then Sterling to Alli.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ozil & Fabregas

or

Sane & Pedro

No other Chelsea/Arsenal/City attackers apart from above

Sané and Pedro. More potential explosiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Well lads.....and ladies (howya cookie) seems like only yesterday I was on here picking your brains! Any opinions on the following would be welcome please

GK - Begovic Forster
    Rotate well and 2 decent teams. Only .5 more then Fabianski and Foster but I could revert to them

Def - Trippier Lindelof Lascelles Long Rangel
    Tripper and Lindelof will play each week and 1 of the other 3 to roatate 2 x 4.0 and 1 x 4.5 isn't too expensive

Mid - Sanchez Coutinho Ward-Prowse Waters RLC

Fwd - Lukaku Kane Defoe

0.0 itb

Anyone any insight into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

Well lads.....and ladies (howya cookie) seems like only yesterday I was on here picking your brains! Any opinions on the following would be welcome please

GK - Begovic Forster
    Rotate well and 2 decent teams. Only .5 more then Fabianski and Foster but I could revert to them

Def - Trippier Lindelof Lascelles Long Rangel
    Tripper and Lindelof will play each week and 1 of the other 3 to roatate 2 x 4.0 and 1 x 4.5 isn't too expensive

Mid - Sanchez Coutinho Ward-Prowse Waters RLC

Fwd - Lukaku Kane Defoe

0.0 itb

Anyone any insight into this?

I would downgrade Sanchez (to Ozil maybe). You need to up grade one of JWP/Walters and also look at the defence. Having both Long and Rangel is risky, as both may not start which leaves you with 3 defenders.

If you are dead set on keeping Sanchez, downgrade Defoe to someone like Gayle/Austin and do the same as above.

I like the keeper combo, just not sure if I have the 0.5m to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

mectavba wrote: »
    I would downgrade Sanchez (to Ozil maybe). You need to up grade one of JWP/Walters and also look at the defence. Having both Long and Rangel is risky, as both may not start which leaves you with 3 defenders.

If you are dead set on keeping Sanchez, downgrade Defoe to someone like Gayle/Austin and do the same as above.

I like the keeper combo, just not sure if I have the 0.5m to spare.

Unless Burnley sign a cb long will start and Dysche rates him highly... ill only ever play 3 at the back so once Lindelof and Trippier play I only need 1 of the other 3 to start. Ya I'm not completely sold on Sanchez yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

I hope you are right on Long, but I thought I read that Mee is first choice, with Tarkowski most likely to partner him. Played more than Long last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Another draft (of many :D)

Lindelof, Trippier, Cedric

Ozil, David Silva, Pogba, Loftus Cheek

Rooney, Lukaku, Kane

(Fabianski, Francis, Colback, Mee)

Keepers and chepie defenders will rotate, unsure if Silva will be a regular, Rooney is a risk (though from the press conference he did, Koeman seems to be saying he will be a starter but dunno if that was all front)

I could upgrade to Sane and downgrade Rooney to a 6.5m (probably Gayle), I also have wiggle room so may downgrade Ozil to Coutinho (he's 0.5 cheaper) to use the 0.5 elsewhere.

Any though would be much appreciated again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Would appreciate any thoughts on the below 1st draft.
    Foster/Begovic (Will rotate as fixtures suit)
    Lindelof Tripper Keane (Likely 3at back)  Simpson Duffy
    Mkhitaryan De Bruyne Coutinho RLC (4 in midfield) Carroll
    Lacazette Lukaku King (50/50 between Lacazette and Jesus, thinking i may swap to Jesus and see how Laca settles, was impressed with King last year and would hope he plays with Defoe)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Would appreciate any thoughts on the below 1st draft.
    Foster/Begovic (Will rotate as fixtures suit)
    Lindelof Tripper Keane (Likely 3at back) Simpson Duffy
    Mkhitaryan De Bruyne Coutinho RLC (4 in midfield) Carroll
    Lacazette Lukaku King (50/50 between Lacazette and Jesus, thinking i may swap to Jesus and see how Laca settles, was impressed with King last year and would hope he plays with Defoe)

Keane's first few fixtures are pretty bad
    Otherwise I like that team a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

mectavba wrote: »
    I hope you are right on Long, but I thought I read that Mee is first choice, with Tarkowski most likely to partner him. Played more than Long last year too.

It could go either way but I think Tarkowski is ahead of him based on the past season and a half. We will know closer to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

Foster / Fabianski
    McAuley / Cedric / Trippier / Rangel/ Daniels
    Sane/ Coutinho / Alli / Fabregas /RLC
    Lukaku / Benteke / Batshuayi

Monitoring Sanchez and Costa

343 or 352

Thoughts please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'd appreciate any feedback. Have fiddled aorund a bit and replaced Lindelof with Walker as I had no Citeh cover. I think I'm happy enough but I await expert analysis:o

Forster

Walker
    Luiz
    Trippier

RLC
    Salah
    Alli
    Pogba

Rodriguez
    Lukaku
    Lacazette

Begovic
    Rangel
    Carroll
    Ake

Ozil & Fabregas

or

Sane & Pedro

No other Chelsea/Arsenal/City attackers apart from above

I can understand the logic of Fabregas but I can't start the season with any doubts in my team. Fabregas is a doubt.

The Sane & Pedro combo looks better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

I can understand the logic of Fabregas but I can't start the season with any doubts in my team. Fabregas is a doubt.

My thinking on fabregas is that without hazard he will have a starting spot possibly in the hole and his returns last year from limited time were fantastic at 7.0 I think he's definitely worth a punt

I'd appreciate any feedback. Have fiddled aorund a bit and replaced Lindelof with Walker as I had no Citeh cover. I think I'm happy enough but I await expert analysis:o

Forster

Walker
    Luiz
    Trippier

RLC
    Salah
    Alli
    Pogba

Rodriguez
    Lukaku
    Lacazette

Begovic
    Rangel
    Carroll
    Ake

Not a bad team but too much money in defence imo. You have 4 premium defenders. I would downgrade Walker, Ake and either Luiz/Trippier to 2 x 4.5 and 1 x 4.0m defenders. This frees up lots of funds to upgrade Rodriguez and/or RLC.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Not a bad team but too much money in defence imo. You have 4 premium defenders. I would downgrade Walker, Ake and either Luiz/Trippier to 2 x 4.5 and 1 x 4.0m defenders. This frees up lots of funds to upgrade Rodriguez and/or RLC.

Thanks for the input Sheroman. Wasn't sure about Rodriguez(think he could have a good season) so i had the option of 442 with a strong enough defence until it became clear if he will start/score well.

You are of the school of thought thatputs minimum resourses into defence I take it?

Thanks for the input Sheroman. Wasn't sure about Rodriguez(think he could have a good season) so i had the option of 442 with a strong enough defence until it became clear if he will start/score well.

You are of the school of thought thatputs minimum resourses into defence I take it?

Yeah I usually go for a 3-4-3 and a GK + DEF of the below, maybe adding 0.5 or 1.0, but no more.

GK: 4.5, 4.5
    DEF: 5.5, 5.0, 4.5, 4.5, 4.0

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Yeah I usually go for a 3-4-3 and a GK + DEF of the below, maybe adding 0.5 or 1.0, but no more.

GK: 4.5, 4.5
    DEF: 5.5, 5.0, 4.5, 4.5, 4.0

Took your advice on board and I definitely think this team has a better look to it

Forster

Cedric
    Luiz
    Trippier

RLC
    Salah
    Alli
    Pogba

Firmino
    Lukaku
    Lacazette

Begovic
    Rangel
    Carroll
    Mariappa

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Took your advice on board and I definitely think this team has a better look to it

Forster

Cedric
    Luiz
    Trippier

RLC
    Salah
    Alli
    Pogba

Firmino
    Lukaku
    Lacazette

Begovic
    Rangel
    Carroll
    Mariappa

Salah and firmino is way too much spent on Liverpool attack
    Downgrade firmino
    Upgrade RLC or Tom carroll

Is that foster west brom at 4.5 or Forster Southampton at 5ml (along with cedric) ?

km79 wrote: »
    Salah and firmino is way too much spent on Liverpool attack
    Downgrade firmino
    Upgrade RLC or Tom carroll

Is that foster west brom at 4.5 or Forster Southampton at 5ml (along with cedric) ?

Forster Southampton, was going by their opening run of fixtures really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Forster Southampton, was going by their opening run of fixtures really

Not sure I'd double on their defence with anew manager though
    I'd downgrade Forster and go with 2 4.5s if you want two playing keepers
    Find one that rotates well with begovic
    There is one team but I can't think who it is
    Possibly Swansea
    West brom have nice fixtures though so a lot are going foster and myhil/Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

km79 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd double on their defence with anew manager though
    I'd downgrade Forster and go with 2 4.5s if you want two playing keepers
    Find one that rotates well with begovic
    There is one team but I can't think who it is
    Possibly Swansea
    West brom have nice fixtures though so a lot are going foster and myhil/Elliot

Bournemouth rotate with Southampton
    Swansea with WBA

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Only problem I see with Bournemouth/Soton rotation is that you'd be rotating 5m defenders every week. If I spend 5m+ on a def I'd want to be playing him every week especially early on in the season when funds are tight. Could go Forster/Begovic for 9.5 but doubt I'd want to bench Forster for any of those opening fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Only problem I see with Bournemouth/Soton rotation is that you'd be rotating 5m defenders every week. If I spend 5m+ on a def I'd want to be playing him every week especially early on in the season when funds are tight. Could go Forster/Begovic for 9.5 but doubt I'd want to bench Forster for any of those opening fixtures.

Francis at 4.5m?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Francis at 4.5m?

Forgot about Francis actually cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Francis at 4.5m?

Possible rotation risk now Ake is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Yeah, not certain starter. Ben Mee might be the only safe 4.5 until we know more. From FFS:

The Fantasy Premier League (FPL) is now exactly seven days old and our analysis of the player list turns to take a first look at defenders.

These players will play a vital role in our seasons. Two, or even three, budget defenders – perhaps operating in rotation – can free up valuable funds.

Clean sheets remain the core of a defender’s points, but there are other factors at play.

It’s important to consider FPL’s Bonus Point System (BPS), which is used to allocate extra points to players.

This will favour defenders who complete passes and crosses, make recoveries and clearances, blocks and interceptions (CBI), and win tackles.

Rotation pairings are also crucial for this position at the budget end of the market.

By switching two or three budget defenders according to fixtures, we can attempt to maximise the points potential from our backline.

Alongside goalkeepers, budget defenders are the key position when considering a rotation strategy.

We’ve discussed the basic principles involved in this article.

THE 4.0 MARKET

It’s currently impossible to find a defensive option that offers assured starts among the 4.0 price bracket. They just don’t exist.

However, as we saw with Swansea City’s Jordi Amat last season and Liverpool’s Joe Gomez in 2015/16, they can materialise for short spells.

Pre-season will be crucial in identifying these candidates, and injuries may yet unearth one or two options prior to August 11.

As it stands, many FPL managers will still look at a 4.0 target just as a means of liberating that precious 0.5 in loose change.

Swansea City’s Angel Rangel has already proved the top target here, claiming 18.7% ownership, even though he is unlikely to wrestle starts from the 4.5-priced Kyle Naughton.

AFC Bournemouth’s Brad Smith and Adrian Mariappa of Watford are also options, with the latter perhaps having the strongest opportunity to claim a starting role having featured heavily towards the end of last season following a run of injuries. He is also under a new manager in Marco Silva, who will have fresh ideas on the Hornets’ defensive line-up.

Burnley’s Kevin Long is another possibility. In the short-term, he could benefit from Michael Keane’s departure. However, James Tarkowski, at 4.5, is perhaps more likely to get the nod alongside Ben Mee, with Sean Dyche surely set to buy in this position.

Axel Tuanzebe of Manchester United is another possibility. But, by opting for him, you’re tying up a United slot and limiting your options elsewhere in your squad.

It pays to stick with the “unfashionable” sources of Fantasy talent when selecting bench fodder.

That could see us turn to the promoted teams and, early on, Uwe Hunemeier has attracted 8.1% ownership to rank second behind Rangel. The German started 11 matches for Brighton and Hove Albion last season, but is expected to be back-up to Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy, who are both priced at 4.5.

UP THE BRACKET

While we may accept an inactive 4.0 player in defence, we need to stretch to 4.5 in order to get ourselves a guaranteed starter.

Looking at the early ownership levels, it’s the aforementioned Ben Mee that has earned the majority of attention. The Clarets’ centre-back has been snapped up by 13.6% as the most desirable of Dyche’s defence.

Mee was second only to Bournemouth’s Steve Cook for CBI last season but, despite that, he picked up just six bonus points.

Goalkeeper Tom Heaton dominated with 21 in the Burnley rearguard, but with Michael Keane departed, Mee may step up further and be even more dominant next season.

His credentials as a 4.5 option look sound, although Matt Lowton is also a consideration.

If you’re overlooking Heaton at 5.0, then one of that pair, with their opening home fixtures, appear worthy options even without Keane in the Clarets’ defence.

Clean home rotation is not an option for Burnley, with Chelsea their partner. But if we look beyond this, there are some other potential pairings.

We should immediately point out that if you’re willing to rotate a West Brom 5.0 option – either Craig Dawson or Gareth McAuley – then this looks a very strong avenue to explore.

The combination with Burnley would provide seven successive home fixtures to open the season (BOU WBA STO CPL WHM HUD WAT).

The issue here is that you’ll need to shell out for a 5.0 option and be willing to bench a West Brom defender who offers clear goal threat at set-pieces away from home. It’s a major blow that Allan Nyom was hiked to 5.0 this season. It leaves us hoping that new signing Ahmed Hegazi can gain regular starts as the only Baggies backline option at 4.5.

A Burnley defender could also be rotated with a Crystal Palace 4.5 option to offer an attractive opening burst (HUD WBA SWA CPL SOT HUD).

The partnership derails in Gameweek 7 with the choice of Everton away or a home tie with Manchester United, but then it gets back on track.

However, the weapon of choice in Frank de Boer’s Palace backline is far from clear. We need more of the pre-season to discover the pecking order and we will be relying on starts for either James Tomkins or Martin Kelly.

Stoke City perhaps provide a better option alongside Burnley (eve WBA wba CPL new HUD SOU WHU BOU NEW), with Geoff Cameron the player to monitor.

The American international was favoured in central midfield by Mark Hughes last season, though with Darren Fletcher now at the Potters, his starting role is far from assured while Stoke retain a back four.

The impending signing of Kurt Zouma on loan muddies the water still further.

Phil Bardsley and Glen Johnson are alternative 4.5 candidates for the Potters, although they may rotate over the season.

The promoted teams play a major role in this price bracket, with Newcastle United and Brighton both supplying strong candidates.

De Andre Yedlin and Jamaal Lascelles have picked up ownership (5.3% and 3.6%) and are arguably the most assured starters in Rafa Benitez’s defence.

Lascelles edges it, with Benitez perhaps likely to rotate at full-back. Much depends on his pre-season tactics, however, with the possibility of Yedlin deployed as a wing-back in a 3-4-3. That would also bring new signing Florian Lejeune into the equation.

Newcastle pair up with Leicester City to offer 38 successive home matches, although the fixtures are far from favourable, forcing us to consider away ties early on (TOT BHA WHM swa STO bha bou WBA CPL brn)

With Danny Simpson available for 4.5, there’s a clear duo on offer. However, Foxes boss Craig Shakespeare could consider Harry Maguire for right-back to scupper those plans. Wes Morgan is also priced at 4.5 and with Robert Huth (5.0) sidelined for the season openers following ankle surgery, his stock has improved.

Swansea City provide another able partner for early Newcastle’s fixtures and, in the aforementioned Naughton, they do provide a secure starter at 4.5 – if you’re willing to overlook Alfie Mawson’s goal potential at 5.0 and are ignoring Lukasz Fabianski (4.5) in goal.

A Lascelles/Naughton partnership offers a very solid opening ten Gameweeks (sot hud WHM NEW STO WAT whm HUD CPL brn).

Goal threat and CBI potential mean that Lewis Dunk is the most attractive candidate in the Brighton defence, although we have to hope that his disciplinary record improves – 12 bookings last season is a concern.

The Seagulls partner with Huddersfield Town to offer clean home rotation. Christopher Schindler is perhaps the more assured starter, though centre-back partner Michael Hefele has the far greater goal threat and would be our choice to accompany Dunk.

Chris Lowe is also an attacking option for the Terriers, but he’s now under threat from new signing Scott Malone.

Bournemouth’s Simon Francis could also be paired with Dunk.

The Cherries’ skipper faces a battle for his starting role following Nathan Ake’s arrival but, if he overcomes that, he has to be a consideration for those turning down the attacking appeal of Ake and Daniels in the 5.0 bracket.

Working with a Brighton man, he offers a decent opening ten Gameweeks (wba WAT wat WBA BHA NEW LEI EVE sto SOT).

Up until West Ham’s re-arranged fixture with Southampton was announced, the Hammers provided perfect home rotation with Watford – two clubs that also serve up 4.5 defensive options.

They could be considered here, although we need pre-season to decipher Marco Silva’s plans.

Sebastian Prodl may emerge as a possibility, though Younes Kaboul fares better in the BPS when fit and selected.

For West Ham, Angelo Ogbonna looks more assured of starts than James Collins, although that will depend on Slaven Bilic running with a three-man defence and that is far from certain.

Everton’s Cuco Martina is a new consideration as a potential one-stop shop at the 4.5 price point.

Manager Ronald Koeman has been re-acquainted with the former Southampton right-back who provides cover for the injured Seamus Coleman. We would now expect Martina to get the nod over the inexperienced Mason Holgate and Jonjoe Kenny. However, Everton’s evil early fixtures are a major deterrent.

Nonetheless, a rotation pair with Lascelles, in particular, appears to be an effective ploy while Coleman remains sidelined and if Holgate and Kenny are kept out of the frame.

Our current appraisal of this price bracket has us leaning towards a series of assured starters.

Mee/Lowton with Dunk and Naughton appear the most likely, with a Lascelles/Yedlin combination also in the mix. Francis is also another candidate for those willing to overlook the 5.0 Cherries.

If you’re looking to risk saving funds with a 4.0 option and two premium defenders, you’ll be limited to a two-way rotation.

Extending to three and forgoing the 4.0 defender is certainly a solution to explore.

Burnley and Dunk don’t work particularly well as a pair but, if you factor in Naughton, we’re given a very reasonable single fixture to work with two heavy-hitters (Sot WBA wat WBA bou HUD whm HUD whm NEW).

Similarly, we can look to Mee, Lascelles and Francis to get (wba WBA WHM CPL STO HUD LEI WHM CPL NEW). Or Naughton, Lascelles and Francis to get (wba WAT WHM NEW BHA WAT LEI HUD CPL brn).

As a side note, if you’re looking for further reading on three-way rotation, I heartily recommend Peter Blake’s early pre-season work here.

As the pre-season develops and as further moves in the transfer market transpire, our thinking in this area will surely shift.

In particular, we need to monitor Cameron’s stock over the summer, along with Hughes’ preferred right-back. That could open up a very favourable three-way rotation with Francis and Naughton.

Equally, the defensive selections from De Boer, Silva and Bilic look vital.

Palace, in particular, not only work well with the Burnley options, but they are also a component of several attractive three-way rotations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ake must be nailed on as first choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ake must be nailed on as first choice?

Yep but his arrival further complicates the issue of who will be the regular starters because I think Cook is pretty much nailed on as well. Francis may be moved to right-back or Howe may decide to go for 3 at the back. Pre-season should tell us a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

@F1ngers;1040912983-4-3

Sorry I can't quote your post this new site layout has me all confused. :/

GK - No problems there. You could free up a .5 by putting in Myhill as back up for Foster as you know but that's more well rounded.

DF - I think Trippier is a must have and if Lindelof plays every game for United at the start of the season happy days, but United have the champions league to consider now so I'm not sure any United defender is a banker now (even De Gea). Yedlin for Newcastle probably would offer more points than the other 4.5 Newcastle defender you have. He likes to get forward a lot.

MD - See no problems here. Is Walters guaranteed to start? Is Fabregas? That's what I always have to make sure before the season starts. They probably will though.

FD - Awesome. I think Harry Kane will know by now that he's had slow starts to the season before and he will address this. Plus coming off on the back of no summer tournament. Wembley is a worry, but their away form was great last season anyway. Lukaku speaks for itself with the good start United have.

Finally, it's very risky not having City cover. I think they'll win the league this season.

Advertisement