Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Weepsie wrote: »
    I like that the second car in the second clip is basically in the lane before they indicate.

There was no use of indicators by the second car at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

So today, I had to take evasives to avoid being flattened by an artic, the driver of which "Didn't see you mate, sorry".

Artic was entering the lane from a side-road, I was the only traffic on the main road. He only noticed me when he heard me call out to him. Just on auto-pilot...

I need a go-pro

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Nearly ended up doing my finest impression of a very sweary Garfield teddybear with window suction cups on the back windscreen of a doddery old woman's car this morning on my way to work about 9.45am

Just after I leave my estate, there's a long, not-quite-straight run downhill for 1km at upwards of 7% gradient. So you can get reasonable speeds coming down it. Even more if you like hitting the pedestrian crossing & speed bumps about half-way down for some air time, but anyway, I digress ...

She decides to pull out from right-hand side of the road, and bimble across to the left-hand side of the road to park up at about ... walking pace. No urgency whatsoever. No thinking that there might actually be other traffic coming downhill when she pulls out, with no effort to accelerate either. I had to seriously weigh-on the brakes, and because it was also a bit wet, the bike started to skid. I was practically hanging off the back of the saddle to shift my weight backwards to let the front disc do its thing given the back had locked up. Had I been maybe 5/10 seconds earlier, it would have ended painfully.

As I cycled past, she wasn't even using her mirrors or looking around her. I gestured backwards up the hill to her as if to say "what was that about? Thanks for nearly wiping me out" but she just stared vacantly at me. Nobody home to talk to or give awareness to ... so I just continued on.

In the streetview below, she was parked up on the right maybe just in front of the white car parked up, then just pulled across and moved down the hill about 15 feet to the left.

Google Maps

Disc brakes are your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seeing a lot of OAPs that need to give up their licences of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ED E wrote: »

I'd have understood had she thought she could beat me (or a car or whatever) to the chase and just pulled out and sped up down the street or something, but she just .... I've never quite seen anything like it before. It looked like she just thought that because there must have been no traffic when she climbed into her car, that the world stood still for a few minutes ... She just pulled out in front of me and that was that. It's not even a particularly quiet road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Not as many as the young people that should not have a licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Not as many as the young people that should not have a licence!

Suppose I'm biased as I live in an area with a very high median age.

Suppose I'm biased as I live in an area with a very high median age.

Ha I used to live in your neck of the woods i think D14?, remember a day heading home from work a man of some serious vintage jumping out of his car to verbally abuse me and call me back having nearly clipped my back wheel as I was turning right and signallying in loads of time for nutgrove as opposed to up the hill to barton road east at that junction at the bottle tower pub .

Not sure what way it's laid out these days but at the time I had another shout abuse at me and wave a stick for cycling on the foot path from the luas bridge there in dundrum up braemore road, I used to hit the ped lights and cross from the dundrum road right rather than cross the messy junction right. there was actually a cycle lane there which I was in but it was integrated with the path there up hill for a bit as you passed Joe's up hill. The auld lad was furious as I passed calling me all sorts and threatening use of the stick. I hadn't passed him this was as I was approaching him so in no danger of not seeing him and he wasn't even in the cycle lane. They're a crazy vintage round there :D

EDIT: Google maps shows that cycle lane is completely different and actually on the road now near the bridge but still the same at the houses further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

This was a bizarre incident I witnessed yesterday evening rush hour. Not quite a normal style near miss but it did nearly involve 4 cyclists going into the back of a car.

I was cycling down Clanbrassil St going southbound just before the junction for south circular road. No surprise I was thinking but I clocked a van parked in cycle lane from bout 100 yards out. It wasn't until I got closer, I noticed it was a city council van pulled in behind 2 cars that were parked in cycle lane. To my satisfaction and surprise, the 2 council workers were in the process of clamping the 2nd vehicle with the first car already clamped. I moved out right to pass and was actually bout to say fair play to council guys when the car in front jammed on brakes in middle of road and the driver lept out like he was on fire.

I managed just to brake in time as did the few cyclists beside/behind me. Anyway, this "gentleman" what i could only describe as an aggressive thug starting roaring at the council workers saying you cant put that clamp on them. One of the drivers of parked cars seemed now to be present too and this thug was saying to him do not let him put that on. Basically then he started to put his hands on council worker and tried to stop him from putting clamp on saying "these lads cant afford to pay for this, this is a disgrace, I'm going to go to Joe Duffy and put this on facebook etc" I wish he would and I'm gutted i didn't have a camera to catch this unfolding. I was debating getting involved but he seemed to have a screw loose and was getting more aggressive as this went on, so didn't fancy fighting this battle at the time. Fun times..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Two near misses in the space of a few hundred metres this morning. First was heading up to the N4 from Islandbridge, and some clown in a land cruiser obviously underestimated my speed uphill (or just didn't care) as he just had to get in front of me only to slam on and start to turn left into the slip (I was going straight). As to how little space he had, by the time he was "leaning" left, I was well past the opening of the slip road. Not sure if he twigged me himself or if it was my shout of "Do you f*cking mind?!" that stopped him, but suffice to say had he turned I had no way of stopping in time, even uphill, it was that close.

Then I get up here and am filtering to the red light in the cycle track, and the lights turn. No bother usually, I've passed the last car indicating left already. But then the car at the head of the queue seems a bit slow off the mark. Sure enough the silly woman was going left, but hadn't bothered her backside to indicate. Had a near Mexican standoff between me afraid of going up her LHS, and her paranoid that there was a cyclist (or perhaps saw me) until I actually waved at her to go. Had she only indicated I'd have gone to her right (as by the letter of the law if she's indicating and likely to turn, I've no business going straight on her left) and there'd have been no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ha I used to live in your neck of the woods i think D14?

My daughter just finished up at a pre-school in Dundrum, and one of the mothers, who drives over from the northside, mentioned to me last month how the driving style of the surrounding drivers changes abruptly when she reaches Churchtown, which she clearly attributed to something along the lines of a high median age in that area.

No idea whether it's true. Just thought it was notable that she mentioned it and now it's mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I had a near miss yesterday, but it involved a pedestrian rather than a car.

Was on the cycle path heading towards Sutton after Bull Island. So there is two cycle lanes and a pedestrian part. There's a small wall to show the edge of the water. Saw a guy on his phone with a small boy close by at the wall (so on my right) and two women were sitting on a bench on the left of the cycle lane. I kept my eye on the kid, I assumed if anything was going to happen it would be the small boy and just as I reaching them the bot decides to make a run for it.

Slammed the brakes and dived to the left, up the small kerb and into the grass. Luckily the trees are pretty sparse and I avoided everything. But it was real close to taking out the kid. He didn't look once, just head down and ran across both lanes.

When I had survived I looked back and there the man still on the phone walking across to the bench. Shouted back that he should pay more attention to what his son was doing. No acknowledgement at all!

That part of the track can be pretty fast, I was going 30k, so I would have done some serious damage to that little boy. Not the young lads fault, but parents needs to take some responsibility for ensuring their childrens safety & that of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

It seems to me that the number of people using the bus lanes on the rock road has increased enormously over the last few months, the number of close passes I've had there seems to be of a far greater frequency than previous years.

Last Wednesday, this happened -

I have him on video weaving in and out of the bus lane from Saint Vincents, clearly too important and entitled to stay in the proper lane like some kind of peasant.

I've reported it to Trafficwatch and, it's one week later and so far....nothing. It's no wonder the problem is getting worse if there's zero enforcement or follow up on reported incidents. I appreciate that the gardai are busy and under-resourced, but this is as close a pass as it gets - and at speed too, it's all on video, but there is no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I've reported it to Trafficwatch and, it's one week later and so far....nothing. It's no wonder the problem is getting worse if there's zero enforcement or follow up on reported incidents. I appreciate that the gardai are busy and under-resourced, but this is as close a pass as it gets - and at speed too, it's all on video, but there is no interest.

I would have went to Blackrock Garda station and reported it directly..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It seems to me that the number of people using the bus lanes on the rock road has increased enormously over the last few months, the number of close passes I've had there seems to be of a far greater frequency than previous years.

Last Wednesday, this happened -

I assume at the very least they should be getting a ticket for driving in the bus lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I would have went to Blackrock Garda station and reported it directly..

The trafficwatch person said that the protocol is that they will contact me first. However, you're absolutely right and I will be dropping in to report it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Leroy42 wrote: »

Was on the cycle path heading towards Sutton after Bull Island. So there is two cycle lanes and a pedestrian part. There's a small wall to show the edge of the water.

This is the section where people have been complaining about the speed of "professional" cyclists on the bike path.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Effects wrote: »
    This is the section where people have been complaining about the speed of "professional" cyclists on the bike path.

I think this is a fair comment. A lot of cyclists coming back onto this path from Howth Head on road bikes. They are sharing a bike lane with pedestrians, and with families with young kids on bikes.

Also, the cycle lanes are too way, and they are narrow.

Cyclists on road bikes need to slow down on this stretch if its crowded. Its irresponsible to do otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd also say, if you have the forethought to "keep your eye on the kid", you should just slow down well in advance. Slamming on the brakes shouldn't have been an option there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think this is a fair comment. A lot of cyclists coming back onto this path from Howth Head on road bikes. They are sharing a bike lane with pedestrians, and with families with young kids on bikes.

Also, the cycle lanes are too way, and they are narrow.

Cyclists on road bikes need to slow down on this stretch if its crowded. Its irresponsible to do otherwise.

Agreed, the cycle lanes on this stretch are very narrow indeed. My bike bell works wonders, ring it a long way off if needed and then slow as required. It is generally free of pedestrians, it's cyclists travelling two abreast which is my biggest gripe actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Leroy42 wrote: »

Was on the cycle path heading towards Sutton after Bull Island. So there is two cycle lanes and a pedestrian part. There's a small wall to show the edge of the water. Saw a guy on his phone with a small boy close by at the wall (so on my right) and two women were sitting on a bench on the left of the cycle lane. I kept my eye on the kid, I assumed if anything was going to happen it would be the small boy and just as I reaching them the bot decides to make a run for it.

Slammed the brakes and dived to the left, up the small kerb and into the grass. Luckily the trees are pretty sparse and I avoided everything. But it was real close to taking out the kid. He didn't look once, just head down and ran across both lanes.

When I had survived I looked back and there the man still on the phone walking across to the bench. Shouted back that he should pay more attention to what his son was doing. No acknowledgement at all!

That part of the track can be pretty fast, I was going 30k, so I would have done some serious damage to that little boy. Not the young lads fault, but parents needs to take some responsibility for ensuring their childrens safety & that of others.

Have to agree with you there. that section is a pain. nothing but obstacles...pedestrians walking on the cycle path, other cyclists coming towards you on the wrong side of the cycle path! Its so frustrating. The new section opposite St. Anne's park is much better. Not prefect, but a lot better

My bike bell works wonders, ring it a long way off if needed and then slow as required.

I use my bell quite a lot along there. It's a good way to make people alert to your presence but some people find it offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not once did the driver of the camera vehicle swerve, guess it's softer to hit a cyclist than a wall or street furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not once did the driver of the camera vehicle swerve, guess it's softer to hit a cyclist than a wall or street furniture.

Hard to swerve a tram

Pudsey64 wrote: »
    Hard to swerve a tram

93O5Abp.jpg

pathblocked.jpg

Not much option for pedestrians along the bike path in Fairview on Sunday. I made a complaint at Clontarf Garda station but not sure if much was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not much option for pedestrians along the bike path in Fairview on Sunday. I made a complaint at Clontarf Garda station but not sure if much was done.

Those are the sort of situations where I fantasise about doing a Casey Neistat. Though I guess I'd be doing it as a pedestrian... try the below with some muddy shoes?

At least I know I'm not the only one with such fantasies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

ThisRegard wrote: »

I would say that the cyclists did not see the tram because it was sneaking around the place and being invisible. Time to enforce some mandatory hi-vis jackets for all Luas drivers and passengers. Also, foam hats in case of a crash. They could only find themselves mostly responsible in an incident at the moment.

The tracks are also clearly invisible. They could do with a lick of hi-vis paint too.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Those are the sort of situations where I fantasise about doing a Casey Neistat. Though I guess I'd be doing it as a pedestrian... try the below with some muddy shoes?

I had some stickers printed a while ago, asking drivers to consider other road users and to have a nice day. I was all out after I got past fairview!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement