Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Who Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Everything to do with regeneration seems to be much more controllable in the modern series. You can use some of it to heal other people,
    you can take a potion to decide your personality, you can delay it for weeks and weeks to go see your old friends one last time. You can use the shooting energy to destroy an entire fleet of Daleks if it's a new cycle! That said AFAIR Romana chose her regeneration willingly so control over it has been hinted at before.

The latest one is relatively mild compared to 10's!
    And Second to Third, the Doctor was shown a selection of faces that he could choose for his regeneration too. Not really an individual controlling it, but not far off the Sisterhood of Karn and their potion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Things that really grinded my gears about that episode :
    1) No Master's Tardis

2) Trump jokes. He is on TV every ten seconds, d'ont need it again.

3) The forcing of Bill's sexuality down our throats. Who cares ?

4) Making a mockery of the regeneration process (not for the first time either)

It was going just grand until towards the end I thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ebbsy wrote: »

Honestly now, how exactly was that forced down your throat? Lots of companions (I think maybe all of them?) have had a relationship on this show, why do you feel one kiss with Bill is suddenly going too far?

Are you sure the issue isn't with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Goodshape wrote: »
    Honestly now, how exactly was that forced down your throat? It just was. Lots of companions (I think maybe all of them?) have had a relationship on this show, why do you feel one kiss with Bill is suddenly going too far?

Are you sure the issue isn't with you?

Rose, Amy and Clara all brought their fellas along, and I didn't see any complaints about their sexuality being "forced down our throats"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Things that really grinded my gears about that episode :
    [...]

Well, I guess you care for starters, as you mentioned it :) But as I'm struggling to think of any explicit moment that felt like the show was ramming Bill's sexuality down our throats (other than a few funny gags meant to subvert her own personal experiences, and that encompassed her race too), I'm equally struggling to imagine how Bill might have behaved any less nonchalant about her preferences. You'd think she was behaving like Captain Jack and flirting with anyone female in the room... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, I guess you care for starters, as you mentioned it :) But as I'm struggling to think of any explicit moment that felt like the show was ramming Bill's sexuality down our throats (other than a few funny gags meant to subvert her own personal experiences, and that encompassed her race too), I'm equally struggling to imagine how Bill might have behaved any less nonchalant about her preferences. You'd think she was behaving like Captain Jack and flirting with anyone female in the room... :confused:

If they rammed anything down our throats in the last few episodes it was that The Doctor can regenerate into a woman. They mentioned it a lot, and needlessly so given that we already know Time Lords can do it (The General & Missy).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It was all jammed in just for the sake of it.

Just like the Piper scenes as well, in fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pixelburp wrote: »

I'm gonna have to disagree with ebbsy as well. Cpt Jack is a great reminder!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was all jammed in just for the sake of it.

Just like the Piper scenes as well, in fact.

For the sake of what though? Cos most of the time it was for the sake of a bit of comedy, such as the scene with her date bumping into the Pope, or her total lack of nous when chatting to the blue alien or Romans. It's not like the plot came to a screeching halt so the Doctor could accost some dreadful bigot and tell us how those people are bad.

And yeah, she made sure the Doctor knew she wasn't into him, just on the verrrry off chance there was some sort of Doctor-companion lust going on. But as if that'd ever happen, eh! :D :cool:

I'm curious: did you feel the same with Captain Jack? I find the accusations of, ahem, ramming, a little daft given Jack's infamously brazen behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Was it just me, or was there a little tip of that hat to Blakes 7 in the shuttle craft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Loved the episode, as corny as it was, I'm a sucker for a good
    power of love saves the day
    ending. Although I will admit it was a smidgen too similar to
    Clara's ending

I also loved the (supposed) conclusion to the Master/Missy storyline.

I can't wait for the Christmas ep, loved
    David Bradley as One and can't wait to see him properly sink his teeth into the role, as opposed to his role as Hartnell

I can't help but wonder are we going to get a cameo of
    Susan or even Reece Shearsmith as a newly regenerated Two?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Linked it before but linking it again - get this clip down you and remember it. I'm calling a reappearance @ XMas and demand free Mochas if I'm correct.

Mod request: If RopeDrink's correct, please send him a free mocha. If he's wrong, buy yourself a mocha and send him a picture of it.

;):D

Re. Xmas: I mean we're only going by that one scene, but it really does seem like
    it could be the Arctic setting of 10th Planet, and that the plot will be some dove-tailing of the two doctor's oncoming regeneration.

Plus, given that final episode of 10th Planet is missing & lost to time, bar a few scratchy seconds of the regeneration, it'd actually be pretty awesome if Moffat & co. went about recreating those lost scenes; like Busi_Girl08 said, maybe Reece Shearsmith could pop up for a cameo to really round off the recreation. Seems like a genuine opportunity for something pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It seems Capaldi's exit is a more franchise-conscious redo of 10's exit. 10 never really got around to accepting the end, as RTD really wanted to muster up some death stakes (new regime be damned) and it left something of a slight cloud over 11's entrance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would absolutely love if they actually had a proper twist and Capaldi just stayed on.
    They had a brilliant opportunity at the end with that tear BS bringing him back, where they could have just as easily said, no regeneration needed as he was resurrected. That would have been a twist,
    or they could have left us hanging with the thought it was a possibility.
    But no, lets just start the christmas tree arms ASAP. I wish one of the regenerations he just got shot and stood up from behind the table after everyone had left thinking he was dead as someone else. You could even have a great episode with localised time shifts where he meets his regeneration and just thinks it is a crazy person.

Rant over, better episode than I expected.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would absolutely love if they actually had a proper twist and Capaldi just stayed on. .

They already did that with David Tennant :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

RopeDrink wrote: »

Hope they tone down the 'regeneration messing', personally. Resisting it to some degree, fine. Regenerating into yourself? Ehhh.... Regeneration 'magic'? Ugh. It was always the sign of finality rather than a device or usable power, so just makes me cringe when they do weird nonsense with it. Just my 2cents.

100% agree- Regeneration should be a sign that he's "died". He's sacrificed himself, given all he can. It's over, and that's his funeral pyre. Messing about with it (that Tennant stuff especially) removes some of the drama from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

100% agree- Regeneration should be a sign that he's "died". He's sacrificed himself, given all he can. It's over, and that's his funeral pyre. Messing about with it (that Tennant stuff especially) removes some of the drama from it.

I agree too. Smith's and Eccleston's hit the right mark, they were completely at peace with it, everyone they knew and loved were safe, ready to move forward to new adventures. (although with Ecc I think it was a bit more "right, I'm off!!")

I miss the quiet dignity that goes with regeneration from yesteryear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Smith one was a bit longwinded in fairness. I liked Eccy's. In the olden days of yore, I thought Tom Baker's was also longwinded at the time(and really odd with all the ghostly "watcher" stuff). I know he'd been such a fixture as the Doc for so long, but even so...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ecce's was my fave but even though I was no fan of DT, his exit did tug at the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Smith to Capaldi ended up just being a sneeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My fave would be Ecclestone into Tennant. Love the "new teeth? That weird". :D

No long winded run up to it, no massive changes beyond him and done and dusted, straight into the new with the shock of the change well handled(again IMHO though plots could be well variable, the characterisation writing was better in the early days) and again done and dusted within an episode. For my money it was the cleanest of the new Who by a country mile. The next two were longwinded and portentous and overly dramatic. More about the production team/showrunner/actors background stuff and pandering to the more nerdy fans.

It "helped" that Eccy had dropped the I'm leaving bomb on them, so they had less time and less baggage to contend with in the first season and there was no change of background actors and writers and team, so no reason to go for a dramatic bow out/sour the milk for the next.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think what also helped with Eccles' regeneration was that at that point, there was nothing at stake as such; the 2005 series (sidebar, holy god, the new series is 12 years old) was a total unknown quantity and while it quickly became a hit, it never got the chance to ramp up to the degree that occurred during the Tennant year. Eccleston started the ball rolling, but it was David Tennant who took a show still pretty much in gestation, and put the foot down. To me, that felt like the highest / loudest point of Who obsession, and by the time Tennant hung up his sonic screwdriver it was arguably peak Who at that point.

So in that respect, RTD let that groundswell of enthusiasm for Tennant get the best of him, manifesting in a regeneration that was mawkish and overlong; it wasn't so much a clean slate for the next guy coming along, insofar as an extended parade around the stadium (when you look back at Series 5, Moffat had a LOT to address really, it's no wonder he reset the Big Bang!). And while the Xmas 2017 episode may yet be guilty of all those same beats, it's interesting how Moffat has at least made an attempt to clear the decks for Chibnall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ate we allowed speculate on stories?
    An interesting, though likely impossible to pull off twist would be for Capaldi to regenerate into the first doctor, get killed like the first regeneration, creating a loop of doctors, letting the first doctor go off.

Not sure what the point would be but it would be a head melter to figure out.

Memory could be explained by not being allowed know about future events you haven't gotten to yet in your own timeline

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I had myself convinced there'd be a twist at the end of the last two episodes where the "Simulated" universe of earlier in the series would be brought back in.

I thought the idea would be to safely test Missy to see if she could ever really be rehabilitated.

I knew we were in for a new Doctor, so in my head, the simulation would reveal she can be a better person, then the Doctor would release her full of hope for his old chum, and she'd execute him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The new Doctor will be revealed on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

The 13th Doctor has been revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Best of luck to her.
    I'm not going to be upset, angry, over joyed or anything. Just intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭8mv

The 13th Doctor has been revealed.

Great! I like Jodi Whittaker. So the Chris Chibnall connection proved important after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

flazio wrote: »
    Best of luck to her.
    I'm not going to be upset, angry, over joyed or anything. Just intrigued.

Im going to separate my feelings towards the beeb and the why they're going this way imho (and the very negative message it sends to a particular demographic)

I hope the new doctor turns out to be a good one. More importantly i hope the writing is better than some of what their predecessors have had to work with- some fine episodes at times mind, but i cant help feel they were often let down by the scripts.

I dont think the beeb has ever really cherished the Dr Who brand (or at least not since several years before the original incarnation was pulled). Hopefully they feel strongly enough about going this way to change that and make it what it should be. Im not sure that fans will be particularly forgiving if they dont.

Advertisement