Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

dabins wrote: »
    With all the recent terrorist terrorist attacks in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, do you think an attack is a possibility here?

Where would be the most likely target in your opinion?

What would the response be like, and who would respond?

Does Ireland have the capability to respond to an attack?

Is there any known threat to this country?

Also, who would be the security source here, my guess is MI5 or MI6.

Not talking about the North here, but Islamist terrorism.

One of London attackers, who lived here by the way, lets not forget. Could have organised the attack on a Dublin venue or place, It's not as if we not welcoming to different cultures and they are targets. Will it happen, who knows. But don't be naive thinking Ireland is safe. Isis lists this country as an enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Extremists are in Ireland and are using the easy access to get to the UK. They are not going to attack here as long as they have easy access to the UK.

But this access has been highlighted recently and will be closed off so then we are at risk. If they can't travel to uk they can attack here and it will be an easy target.

Look how many went to fight in Libya from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

9/11 style attack we be ****ed.

Siptu would be fucked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aren't we more likely to win the lotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

With all the recent terrorist terrorist attacks in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, do you think an attack is a possibility here?

Where would be the most likely target in your opinion?

Does Ireland have the capability to respond to an attack?

Is there any known threat to this country?

Not talking about the North here, but Islamist terrorism.

One of London attackers, who lived here by the way, lets not forget. Could have organised the attack on a Dublin venue or place, It's not as if we not welcoming to different cultures and they are targets. Will it happen, who knows. But don't be naive thinking Ireland is safe. Isis lists this country as an enemy.

Don't ISIS list every country as an enemy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Somewhere, a proto-jihadist looks up from his computer "Hey, the infidels have a point, I could totally blow up X"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Don't ISIS list every country as an enemy ?

no, they don't

This is their list and this was taken from an Isis video.
    421678.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The attack already took place 10 years ago when Fianna Failure sold the country out to protect the banks.

What did we do then - nothing: we get more upset about having to pay a few bin charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

There would be a three pronged response to any terrorist attack here .
    1. Stick on the kettle.
    2. Make hang sandwiches.
    3. Call Joe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 dabins

Here are two more questions.

Give me a detailed scenario of an attack in Dublin and detail the probable response please,
    and, have you ever been caught up or in a city during a terror attack, what was it like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did we not have this topic to exhaustion recently?

Terrorists trying to ware us down?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You started the thread a day early

Friday is the day things seem to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

dabins wrote:

Same as everywhere else that gets attacked.

Some people would react with dignity and see what measured response would useful. The English have been remarkably dignified in their response to the 3 recent attacks.

Cowards would p1ss themselves and call for Muslim bans etc. Racists would see it as an excuse to express their racism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 dabins

Here are two more questions.

Give me a detailed scenario of an attack in Dublin and detail the probable response please,
    and, have you ever been caught up or in a city during a terror attack, what was it like?

Please answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Please answer.

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please answer.

Why?

You're not the boss of me....... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Our highly paid and motivated Garda would be quick to respond and put their lives on the line in our defence.

Then, if there are casualties, our world class, highly resourced health service would roll into action making sure there was plenty of room available in our major hospitals.

Our politicians would be calm and collected, ensuring not one of them use such an incident as a way of making personal political points against each other, they would stand together.

I can see it now.........

Oh hang on, actually we'd be totally fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The British secret security services are already operating in Ireland tracking the jihadists that the Irish freely left in. The Irish liberal left (Liam Cunningham et al.) would be crying bloody murder (pun intended) if anything was done to impede the 'rights' of these jihadists in Ireland.

Our highly paid and motivated Garda would be quick to respond and put their lives on the line in our defence.

Then, if there are casualties, our world class, highly resourced health service would roll into action making sure there was plenty of room available in our major hospitals.

Our politicians would be calm and collected, ensuring not one of them use such an incident as a way of making personal political points against each other, they would stand together.

I can see it now.........

Oh hang on, actually we'd be totally fooked.

And don't forget that RTE will have the usual 'experts' from the Islamic Council of Ireland and other similar groups on 6/1 news telling us to "not to knee jerk" in response to the carnage. At least that is what the woman from the Immigrant Council of Ireland told us when she was the expert on the 6/1 news after the most recent terrorist event in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Depends on the location and kind of attack.

If it was on a symbolic target like the Dail or Dublin castle or somewhere similar, the response would probably be decent.

But if it drivers armed with knives ploughing a car into into people in somewhere like Ennis, the response would probably be slow.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote:
    . The Irish liberal left would be crying bloody murder if anything was done to impede the 'rights' of these jihadists in Ireland.

I doubt anyone would object to impeding the rights of jihadists. If someone is prove to be a jihadi then hey should face prosecution for their crime.

If you mean wide sweeping impediment to the rights of Muslims in case they are jihadis,then you'd have lots of people object. Internment in northern Ireland gives us a precedent for what it would look like. The 'liberal left' would be right to cry bloody murder if someone suggested something like that.

If you mean wide sweeping impediment to the rights of Muslims in case they are jihadis,then you'd have lots of people object. Internment in northern Ireland gives us a precedent for what it would look like. The 'liberal left' would be right to cry bloody murder if someone suggested something like that.

That's some jump there snowflake.

And it's not cool to edit quotes.

Kivaro wrote:
    That's some jump there snowflake.
    Snowflake must have changed meaning. I don't get the context.
    Kivaro wrote:
    And it's not cool to edit quotes.
    Just editing out irrelevant details for ease of reading.

Anyway if you want to play the ball rather than the man, feel free

Just editing out irrelevant details for ease of reading.
    Anyway if you want to play the ball rather than the man, feel free

I am playing the ball .......
    Just trying to get you to come down from the hyperbole.

Kivaro wrote:
    I am playing the ball ....... Just trying to get you to come down from the hyperbole.

Hyperbole?

I made a destination between impeding the rights of proven jihadis Vs impeding the rights of a wide group in case they're jihadis as has actually happened on this island in the recent past. I think the left would rightly oppose one and not the other.

You whinged about snowflakes and editing quotes and hyperbole. If you want to make an argument, that would be more interesting.

Hyperbole?

I made a destination between impeding the rights of proven jihadis Vs impeding the rights of a wide group in case they're jihadis as has actually happened on this island in the recent past. I think the left would rightly oppose one and not the other.

You whinged about snowflakes and editing quotes and hyperbole. If you want to make an argument, that would be more interesting.

That's just a confusing post, so I'll leave you at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

There already was a terror attack on Ireland. It happened in 2008/09.

Kivaro wrote:
    That's just a confusing post, so I'll leave you at it.

Much better idea than trying to cobble together an actual argument against what I said. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

There already was a terror attack on Ireland. It happened in 2008/09.

Financial terrorism that lead to the recession you mean..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

We will get a terror attack but it will be very difficult to pull off.

We tend to forget that Ireland isn't the 'neutral' happy go-lucky country across the world. We may not be involved in wars in the Middle East but our lifestyle and the ideals we share do piss a lot of people off.non-religious extremists are most likely going to mount an attack.

The only problem is access to any destructive weapon (firearm, explosive) or even low level chemical weapons is extremely difficult. This probably discounts lone wolf attackers.

An attack here is even more likely because Ireland still hasn't 'lost it's innocence' in regards to terror attacks like the US, UK and France. Most likely any attack will try to exploit and bring to light the unpreparedness of the health service and law enforcement which will certainly provoke a reaction to start changing laws and mindsets...all what the next terror group wants.

Advertisement