Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do shopping centers annoy you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Would you say that these are trivial annoyances?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Shopping centres all with identical shops in a slightly different order.

Gap Next Dorothy Perkins River Island
    Next Gap River Island Dorothy Perkins
    Gap Eason's Claire's Dorothy Perkins

and of course :

Three Vodafone Carphone Warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Aglomerado wrote: »
    They're soulless places with annoying music. Queuing in traffic. Bad planning (Mahon Point Cork, huge complex including cinema and food court - only one entrance).

I'll go to one if I need something specific, get it and then leave but I wouldn't go for fun (some people view a visit to shopping centres as a recreational activity). I much prefer towns and city centres.

Mahon point is a disaster, woefully bad traffic problems in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

'Soulless'

WTF

I don't need my shopping centres to have pretentious soul. I need them to have jumpers and jeans and custard doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Parking's not too hard to find if you're willing to walk your lardyhole for an extra 30 seconds more, rather than sit in your car for 3 minutes to wait for a space closer to the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like shopping centers but I'd generally visit at off peak times. I much prefer them than city centers. I like the fact that you don't get wet, your near the car(so you can drop your bags back to the car), parking is generally free, I generally feel safer in shopping centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's not that I refuse to enter them they are just not very pleasant. The air is bad, it's hot, crowded and on Sundays they are full of sad people who think shopping is a family day out.

The air is disgusting. Agreed. Worse than airplane air.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

St Stephens Green is the only one I can tolerate, mostly because the architecture makes it more appealing and relaxed atmopshere, plus the park and cafes etc are very closeby so I can bail out any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The crowds annoy me. I'm a tad claustrophobic anyway so I don't like being hemmed in, but bumping into people from work in the shops or even neighbours has always irked me because I'm on my own time and I still have to do the false salute or if its someone I dislike I have to dodge them. I generally only shop online so I avoid the shopping centers.
    One thing that doesn't annoy me as such but baffles me is the sheer number of people who wouldn't dream of letting a Saturday pass without traipsing through the same old shops, same old streets and seeing the same old people. Often without even buying anything. I have never understood the mindset of having to go into town every single weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'd only go on a weekday morning, never at the weekend.

How on earth was Dundrum town center ever allowed to be built? The traffic around the area on the weekend's is crazy, and hardly a bus even goes near the place. :confused:

• Advertisement

i think lots of people in cities end up in shopping centers to do their weekly shop because the supermarket is part of them.
    Whilst I like a trip to a shopping center. I wouldn't like it to be a weekly occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I avoid them as much as possible. If I want to buy something, I prefer to wander around the city centre instead. It feels less claustrophobic to walk out of a shop onto a street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

From a societal point of view I think they are fascinating. They were the harbingers of consumerism at your fingertips and defined the landscape of modern suburbia. If you didn't have one you became unimportant pretty fast. Back in the day they were also social hubs in an age that preceded the internet and smartphones. Everything you wanted in one place. Well that was the dream anyway. In terms of design, it is no mistake that you struggled to find the way out, this was intentional. A lot of them have very little natural light and can make the person feel like they are stuck on a conveyor belt of shops with the hope you spend your afternoon drifting aimlessly from one shop to the next.

There's something so resolutely fascinating about a shopping centre that has lost its place in time and stands out as a ghost shell of days gone by. Some of them are pure relics already, examples being Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre and what I called 'The 90s' in Crumlin, just off Sundrive Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Richcoffee wrote: »
    Do shopping centers annoy you?

I know a few people who refuse to enter shopping centers, what is it about shopping centers that annoy you?
    Ush1 wrote: »
    No but silly American spellings of English words do.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I hate them and would never choose one over going to the city centre. They're overcrowded, hot, no fresh air. I hate that so many of them have glass ceilings so you feel like you're in a greenhouse, blinded by the sun and roasting. Too many kids running wild.

Liffey Valley for me is hell on earth. The layout is crap, with one long line so you if you want to go back for something you have to trek the full length of the place. It's too narrow for the volumes of people. And of course that stupid fcuking train is just the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Boring. Get in get out when it comes to shopping. The town I live decided they would put speakers round the centre and pipe music. I rarely come into town now as I've never been anywhere where I thought this place needs more noise.

It's playing outside the office now doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I detest shopping with every fiber of my being

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anybody describing a building as 'soulless' is a hippy, teenager or most likely both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Anybody describing a building as 'soulless' is a hippy, teenager or most likely both.

Hippy teenagers probably don't shop at shopping centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Mall culture of car driving America has taken over.

WTF is shopping anyway? Do you need to visit every shop or what. Just draining and mind numbing.

The distances you have to walk, and up and down escalators and trying to find anything is just off putting.

I went to Dundrum for the first time (yes) in March. Never, ever again. Ever.

But everyone is different I reckon. Some love them, some hate them. I'm in the latter category obviously!

The Mall culture of car driving America has taken over.

WTF is shopping anyway? Do you need to visit every shop or what. Just draining and mind numbing.

The distances you have to walk, and up and down escalators and trying to find anything is just off putting.

I went to Dundrum for the first time (yes) in March. Never, ever again. Ever.

You sound worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I just avoid them these days. You can never get a parking space, they're crowded and badly laid out, they want a charge to use the toilet, and it just seems to be full of people loitering there, as opposed going in there for any reason. I don't think of shopping as social really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I just avoid them these days. You can never get a parking space, they're crowded and badly laid out, they want a charge to use the toilet, and it just seems to be full of people loitering there, as opposed going in there for any reason. I don't think of shopping as social really.

I only know of two shopping centers that charge to use the toilet and they both located in city centers. Are they suburban one's that charge as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well its more common in the UK, but stephens green specifically in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's a weird one, they have always charged for the bog since the 90s, only place in Dublin I know that does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yes, Stephen's green and Merchants Quay in Cork are the only two that I know of that charge for the toilets. My understand to still was because it was to do with homeless people using the facilities!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Which ones charge for the bogs?

Soulless Consumer Citadel Inc.

They demand a faustian contract with your soul in return for taking a quick piss when picking up some beers in Tesco.

Advertisement