Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do shopping centers annoy you?

Options
  • 07-07-2017 9:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

I know a few people who refuse to enter shopping centers, what is it about shopping centers that annoy you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What annoys me about them is the ignorant people pushing trolleys or prams who take the ankles off ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The people and the things, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not that I refuse to enter them they are just not very pleasant. The air is bad, it's hot, crowded and on Sundays they are full of sad people who think shopping is a family day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

They're soulless places with annoying music. Queuing in traffic. Bad planning (Mahon Point Cork, huge complex including cinema and food court - only one entrance).

I'll go to one if I need something specific, get it and then leave but I wouldn't go for fun (some people view a visit to shopping centres as a recreational activity). I much prefer towns and city centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The noise. Everyone needs to shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Slow walkers! Get the fook out of my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Any more than a half an hour in a large shopping centre and I'm absolutely knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Too big, too crowded, soulless. Captive audience. I hate them.

I much prefer to stroll around the city and enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Full of knackers wearing luminous tops and orange skin

Or posh twots, orange skin optional.

And I'm the only normal one I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're full of people "going shopping", that's why they annoy me. I don't shop for shopping's sake, on the off-chance I might see something I think I might want, I either research it and buy it online, or else I find a bricks and mortar shop that has what I want, go there, buy what I want and then return home. Hundreds and thousands of lemmings wandering around muttering "Ooooh, that's nice", "Oh, that's a bargain, I must have that" isn't my idea of fun.

Similarly massive shops like Ikea that take hours to navigate from start to finish give me claustrophobia, horrible places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Slow walkers! Get the fook out of my way.
    Indeed! I don't got to shopping centres much so I'm more likely to experience this in supermarkets.

But too many people, and not having enough reason to go to shopping centres is why I don't go to them more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Once im not with my wife or daughter they are fine

I know what i want before i arrive and go to a shop and buy the things i need and leave

Imagine doing that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Richcoffee

I know what i want before i arrive and go to a shop a buy the things i need and leave

Imagine doing that

What do your wife and daughter do to taint your shopping center experience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

I know what i want before i arrive and go to a shop and buy the things i need and leave

Imagine doing that
    Exactly I'm the same straight in get what I came for and out if she's with me aww sure "lets go in here for a look" then 20-30min of looking I get "no nothing in here" agggggh

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

They're awful places, "not even once" is my motto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

It just feels like once you're in it's going to take ages to get out.

I always get shocks from the lifts.

I also really dislike those food places that are not in an actual separate room but are just tables and chairs scattered together in the centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's annoying going to a shopping center you aren't familiar with, then taking the long way around to find the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

mainly, it's the americanisation that riles me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I know people who will avoid the likes of Dundrum shopping centre due to the sheer volume of people & cars "its just too busy" ... too many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mainly the crowds. Screaming bored children, buggies everywhere, the combined stink from fast food places. Big cheap/ discount/ knock-off shops with massive queues of people being ****e for the sake of it.

I don't spend any of my free time in a shopping centre unless I really have to get something.

I used to live on Capel street and from November - Jan, henry street was a no go area on weekends, a giant swarm of zombie shoppers climbing over each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

LordSutch wrote: »
    I know people who will avoid the likes of Dundrum shopping centre due to the sheer volume of people & cars "its just too busy" ... too many people.

I'd agree with that, also either you go there a lot and know where everything is or its a pain in the ass if you only go there twice a year. Prefer the layout of smaller centres like carrickmines where its in and out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shopping in general drives me nuts, do it as little as possible. I've little or no interest in buying stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shopping and Other People.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ederkeh

Shopping centres are a bit like walking down Grafton St, everyone is in my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

We've all got agoraphobia. Literally.

I hate them too. Sundays are the worst. They seem to reduce humanity to cogs in the capitalist wheel. Mere consumers. Unlike shopping in a town centre there's no respite - no quiet pubs, decent restaurants or cafes , no quiet street to avoid foot traffic , even churches if thats your thing to avoid the insane rush of shopping. And food courts are hellish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No but silly American spellings of English words do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

GBX wrote: »
    What annoys me about them is the ignorant people pushing trolleys or prams who take the ankles off ya.

Try being the one pushing the pram. People see you coming, but won't budge over one iota to let you pass. It's no wonder I'm like Ben Hur ploughing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Main thing has to be bored children.

Sad to see young kids in them for hours. Some parents seem to think kids like walking around shopping centres.

Try taking them to the park instead, they don't want to go shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

NIMAN wrote: »
    Main thing has to be bored children.

Sad to see young kids in them for hours. Some parents seem to think kids like walking around shopping centres.

Try taking them to the park instead, they don't want to go shopping.

I liked shopping centers when I was a kid. Most of them had shops my own town didn't have like game shops and large bookstores.

Advertisement