Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I had a few "fun" days this week. I had an aptitude test in Dublin, followed by the Greenday concert and a stay in a hotel for the night. I was on plan for most of Thursday, found out for Syns for Nandos etc. But then I got to the concert, had 4 Jameson, a bag of taytos and a twix. The next day in the hotel I had a fry, which I completely regret because it was so greasy and then I had a Five Guys for my dinner. Did not regret the Five guys. Funnily enough I had planned every thing that I was going to eat and drink, except the Taytos and Twix. I was letting myself off the hook but I didn't let myself go mad altogether, and to try and counterbalance, I did SP for the rest of the days. I'm expecting to be up a pound or even stay the same but I'm OK with that because I had a great 2 days.
    I'm looking forward do doing a proper 7 days of SP next week, I really enjoyed it. Discovered quark while doing it! I'll let ye know how I get on with my weigh in later!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Just weighed in. Down 2.5lb so that's 7.5 total. Really happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

So I bit the bullet and went to group last night, only up half a pound despite all my shenanigans, delighted!

Defo helps to draw a line under in and then focus on having a great week this week! Dinners planned for the rest of the week and planning on a booze free weekend (trying to be very boring this weekend because I've a wedding the following weekend that will not be SW friendly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I went right back to basics this week, was careful with what I ate, and was rewarded with a 5lb loss! I was hoping to lose 2 if I was lucky, so I'm over the moon with 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seriously?!

One stone off after 2 weigh ins!! Super happy with my progress....Purchased a 12 week countdown tonight to keep me on track for the summer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Week two & I'm down another 5lbs :D 8.5lbs down so far!

I have one more week on plan then I'm on holidays for a week, hopefully I won't do too much damage... I plan on drinking alot of cocktails :D

Week two & I'm down another 5lbs :D 8.5lbs down so far!

I have one more week on plan then I'm on holidays for a week, hopefully I won't do too much damage... I plan on drinking alot of cocktails :D

You'll surprise yourself! On my holiday in may, I ate out for every meal and had about 12 cocktails or beers a day and only gained 1.5!

You'll surprise yourself! On my holiday in may, I ate out for every meal and had about 12 cocktails or beers a day and only gained 1.5!

I'm back on the Friday & my group isn't till Thursday so I will have a full week to redeem myself!

I'm back on the Friday & my group isn't till Thursday so I will have a full week to redeem myself!

Ah you've not got much to worry about then once you get back on track when you're home. I weighed like an hour after my plane landed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Forgot to add my weight in results down 3lbs this week so 25.5 in 11 weeks thrilled must keep on going!

• Advertisement

V, that's some serious loss in only 11 weeks, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've recently gained a LOT of weight so I'm going to do this again.... I have all my materials and my local group doesnt suit me so I'm not going to group this time. Does anyone here just follow from home?

I know the plan works, I lost 4.5 stone last time but sadly for me, I have regained 3.5. Time to get this kicked! I weighed myself this morning (I knew it would be bad but it's awful to see the number anyway) so I'll prob weigh every Friday and post here to stay on track!

I got my 3rd slimmer of the week award last night and I got my 1.5 stone award as well! We had a taster night last night. I'm definitely making the hummus and the Weetabix cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I've completely fallen off the wagon and am so angry with myself because I was doing so well! Plus I am sick so all I want is comfort food like toast and pizza. The thoughts of eating fruit at this stage when I have a sore throat and am shivery. How many syns in a hot whiskey? :)

Need to get back on track, my motivation disappeared along with my 1.5 stones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Annani

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've completely fallen off the wagon and am so angry with myself because I was doing so well! Plus I am sick so all I want is comfort food like toast and pizza. The thoughts of eating fruit at this stage when I have a sore throat and am shivery. How many syns in a hot whiskey? :)

Need to get back on track, my motivation disappeared along with my 1.5 stones!!

35ml whiskey is 4 syns

If you add sugar it's another 1 syn for level teaspoon

Try to stay with plan if you can. I know what you mean about comfort. Maybe have cheese on toast with your heb a and b with some roasted veg?

Feel better soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Annani wrote: »
    35ml whiskey is 4 syns

If you add sugar it's another 1 syn for level teaspoon

Try to stay with plan if you can. I know what you mean about comfort. Maybe have cheese on toast with your heb a and b with some roasted veg?

Feel better soon!

Suppose I could have one then! I am thinking about maybe having lots of rice, tomato salad and maybe black beans on the side. Or the old favourite - jacket potatoes! The ultimate comfort. Will kick back into swimming Thursday as this always pushes the loss a pound extra (even just going twice in the week!).

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Annani

2.5 pounds down this week.

Delighted after not losing anything last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Boom, early weigh in today as going to a match after work. Down 2.5lbs this week, 28lbs in 12 weeks hit my 2 stone loss and my club 10. Thrilled . I look forward to people's updates here! Onwards and downwards fingers crossed!

I made the Weetabix cake for work today, everyone loved it and couldn't believe it had Weetabix in it! I've been made promise to make another one for our tea break on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I have been 100% on plan since last Friday... wish Friday morning would hurry up, I'm itching to weigh in now! Holidays in 10 weeks so would like to make a good dent in my weight before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I have been 100% on plan since last Friday... wish Friday morning would hurry up, I'm itching to weigh in now! Holidays in 10 weeks so would like to make a good dent in my weight before then.

I'm the same but my weigh day is tomorrow, think this is the first time since my first week I can honestly say I have done it 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Got back from an 11 day holiday in the sun on Tuesday; 11 days where I put SW to the back of my mind and just enjoy it as I always would, had a ball! Even had a non-Black Bean Sauce Chinese on Tuesday night as a form of 'Last Supper' before going back on plan for the foreseeable.

Weighed myself yesterday morning: 8lbs on since my last weigh-in (which was 17 days ago). I know that sounds like a lot, and potentially disheartening, but I was relatively content with this as I actually expected up on a stone, given the holiday that was in it... Had a syn-free day yesterday to start things off on a good foot, weighed myself again this morning, and I'm down 4lbs from yesterday! Love it!!

I'll weigh myself tomorrow morning to check my progress from there and not weigh myself until my official SW weigh-in on Monday evening. If I break even come then I will be delighted, I can only hope and keep following the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Well my wait is over, after a full 7 days 100% on plan I lost 6.5lb I'm delighted! Just have to stick to it again this week

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

I don't fully agree the weekly weigh in process adopted (often in the evening) by slimming world.

Weight can vary significantly on a day to day basis based on water retention, what you ate yesterday etc, especially in the evening times.

Whilst over the course of a number of weeks or months it will paint an accurate picture of what's going on, in the short term it won't which I can imagine can be disheartening for some people.

The most accurate way to to weigh oneself is a daily, naked weigh in first thing in the morning, at the same time every day after using the toilet. And then look at the weekly average of those daily weigh ins.

That's not too take away anything from slimming world in particular, as I am sure it provides a great support network for people and a community aspect which is great. And it simplifies the process somewhat for those who don't know how or want to track calories

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Pterosaur wrote: »

The most accurate way to to weigh oneself is a daily, naked weigh in first thing in the morning, at the same time every day after using the toilet. And then look at the weekly average of those daily weigh ins.

I think the whole point of the weekly weigh in is so you're not obsessively weighing in every day or at all except for the weekly weigh-in at group. You have to think of how detrimental that could be to somebody who maybe doesn't have a great body image or doesn't have the best willpower? When I used to go to group some people would be devastated by what the scales said - i wasn't that bothered myself but I didn't have that much to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Pterosaur wrote: »
    I don't fully agree the weekly weigh in process adopted (often in the evening) by slimming world.

Weight can vary significantly on a day to day basis based on water retention, what you ate yesterday etc, especially in the evening times.

Whilst over the course of a number of weeks or months it will paint an accurate picture of what's going on, in the short term it won't which I can imagine can be disheartening for some people.

That's not too take away anything from slimming world in particular, as I am sure it provides a great support network for people and a community aspect which is great. And it simplifies the process somewhat for those who don't know how or want to track calories
    I would be inclined to agree with this.
    It's not the best way to measure the concept of 'slimming' for many people, and from my (very limited) experience with consultants and their implementation of SW's outlined weigh-in process, the way they treat a gain or plateau as a reflection of a person's weekly progress has no real sense behind it.

They could put a little less emphasis on the whole weigh-loss aspect of it, as you can gain weight and still get slim through toning, be constipated/run-down on a particular week, or life could get in the way. However, I think these things are secondary because the plan itself does such a good job at ensuring you eat the right things and stay away from the crap. And although it's a flawed weighing system, it's the only efficient way to do this from an operational perspective.

I think it also gamifies the process of getting slim, which to me makes it fun and is a massive incentive as I am a fan of video games; I see getting achievements as weight milestones and SotW/SotM the same as getting achievements in a game on the PS4. It helps you set targets and work towards them on a week-by-week basis, which is great for everyone IMO.

Nailz wrote: »
    I think it also gamifies the process of getting slim, which to me makes it fun and is a massive incentive as I am a fan of video games; I see getting achievements as weight milestones and SotW/SotM the same as getting achievements in a game on the PS4. It helps you set targets and work towards them on a week-by-week basis, which is great for everyone IMO.

I love this!

I weigh my self every other morning when I think of it as Pterosaur said bit find being shame-weighed once a week is great incentive to keep me on track throughout the week!

Also you can very easily measure your progress more accurately even with weekly weigh ins, by checking your monthly total.

Some weeks I'll have insane losses, like 5lbs last week, followed by small losses, or even gains, but I don't care because for me, it averages at 6-8lbs a month IF I'm 100% on plan, and 4lbs a month if I'm slacking a little.

Weighing daily makes some people obsessive, and isn't feasible for others, so a weekly weigh in, averaged over a month, is easy to do.

My consultant seems to follow this too, by telling people "okay you've lost or gained x this week, but over the last four weeks you've lost Y, so how do you feel about losing Y in a month?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm one pound short of reaching my 2 stone, I'm determined to get it next week but I've also come down with laryngitis and am worried that not eating as much/going on antibiotics might affect things. (Obviously I'm still gonna take the medicine, my health comes first!). Do people find that it does affect your losses when you're sick? So I can prepare myself for next week :D

• Advertisement

Down 3lb :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement