Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What products prey on stupid people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Detox foods.

Your liver does most of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

RedTie wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying all SSRIs are for stupid people?
    It's hard to swallow, I know, but they're no better than Haribo. Can a pill really fix a lack of meaning and direction in someone's life? Can a pill solve a human response to something awful? The idea is so far fetched it explains why GPs sling them out like Ballymun dealers slinging heroin.

Snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Valmont wrote: »
    It's hard to swallow, I know, but they're no better than Haribo. Can a pill really fix a lack of meaning and direction in someone's life? Can a pill solve a human response to something awful? The idea is so far fetched it explains why GPs sling them out like Ballymun dealers slinging heroin.

Snake oil.

i know some people that wouldnt be alive without them but its good to see advancements in alternatives as they can also be harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

It not so much the products as it is marketing and advertising.

nationwide-survey.jpg?1305185424

28% of male smokers who try camel go back to women

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Morning after pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Snake oil.

Here is Science Based Medicine take on those papers.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/category/neurosciencemental-health/

While not great SSRI's are the most effective treatment available.

Oops69 wrote: »
    gluten free products to the multitude of attention- seeking needy non-coeilacs .

How to become gluten intolerant - very funny

https://youtu.be/Oht9AEq1798

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Snake oil.
    So you're response to all of psychiatric research is " they're no better than haribo ", if medical research hadn't discovered insulin a century ago most diabetics would be dead in childhood or within a year of diagnosis and with regard to psychiatry , do you have any idea what our mental hospitals were like before the advent of medication , very imperfect as it is , they were hell on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Cheese grater. Who even bothers grating their own cheese these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

caniask86 wrote: »

Eh, what?

Now mind you I didn't buy my cheese grater but I have to assume it was purchased by one of my ancestors directly from a blacksmith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

jh79 wrote: »
    While not great SSRI's are the most effective treatment available.

Compared to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

About 200 million Americans, thanks to the orange turd.

"Make America grate again"

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Snake oil.

What medical degree do you have? SSRI cover a wide range of medications, they alter the serotonin chemicals and can be quite effective for many people for a range of disorders. Its very dangerous to throw out conspiracy theories on something you have no medical knowledge of. They are helping many people and if you do some actual research you will see how the drug actually works. Can't stand all these Dr Google's.

Good quality block parmasen chesse is amazing fresh grated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I'm sure it's been said already but one thing that definitely DOESN'T prey on the imbeciles is the aloe Vera products that Mary down the road sells.

Anything that can prevent cancer, cure hiv and make ginger people normal should be purchased in bulk by all and sundry.

Hail Vera!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You know society has become too wealthy when a product called VIPoo hits our supermarket shelves.

A fcuking €10 - yes, €10 for a tiny plastic bottle filled with scented water.

Give me strength!!

Compared to what?

Therapy . The paper Valmont linked to uses a cut off point for clinical significance that is controversial. If Valmont thinks this is an appropriate metric then therapy is also ineffective.

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been said already but one thing that definitely DOESN'T prey on the imbeciles is the aloe Vera products that Mary down the road sells.

Anything that can prevent cancer, cure hiv and make ginger people normal should be purchased in bulk by all and sundry.

Hail Vera!

You can throw in practically the entire product range of Evergreen or Holland and Barret.

Antioxidants are another one, no one knows if they have any clinical relelvance and a Cochrane Review found that those with a diet high in antioxidants died earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

You can throw in practically the entire product range of Evergreen or Holland and Barret.

Antioxidants are another one, no one knows if they have any clinical relelvance and a Cochrane Review found that those with a diet high in antioxidants died earlier!

To be fair, holland And Barrett actually sell some useful stuff but the prices they charge can definitely be considered an 'idiot tax'.

I mean people pay up too thirty euro for some food supplement that they probably get plenty of in their diet anyway, like what's the point?

thelad95 wrote: »
    To be fair, holland And Barrett actually sell some useful stuff but the prices they charge can definitely be considered an 'idiot tax'.

I mean people pay up too thirty euro for some food supplement that they probably get plenty of in their diet anyway, like what's the point?

Which products that they sell are proven to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Therapy . The paper Valmont linked to uses a cut off point for clinical significance that is controversial. If Valmont thinks this is an appropriate metric then therapy is also ineffective.

SSRIs can be very useful, IF what is being treated is a chemical/hormonal imbalance, which it might well be. But they have been treated as being a bit of a panacea for all mental problems around depression (for instance) and they can have poor reactions with certain peoples brain chemistry. Given we're still a bit in the dark about exactly how brain chem works and what needs to go wrong to cause X issue, it's the same as any other major breakthrough in clinical psychiatry, it's over-used until there's enough apparent issues to move onto the next big thing. Same thing happens treating kids with ADD etcetera.

The next big thing appears to be CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and -that- can have negative effects on certain people too and again, it's a little unpredictable who will react badly to it.

SSRIs are not "snake oil", but they can be over-used and poorly used and I reckon it's because we're seeking treatments without really understanding what we're treating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Winkelmutt

Ah. Yet ANOTHER thread stolen from Reddit.

Funny how most of you were whinging about it the other day and yet...here you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

people who like Taste still do e.g Freshly grated parmesan ??.Dont tell me you buy those bags of artifically flavoured tyre rubber ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's actually the overpriced already grated stuff that's for the idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A fcuking €10 - yes, €10 for a tiny plastic bottle filled with scented water.

Give me strength!!

The strength will come from the scented water; it's known for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Poisson Distribution

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's actually the overpriced already grated stuff that's for the idiots

Have you ever tried cleaning a cheese grater?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Frynge wrote: »
    Eh, what?

Now mind you I didn't buy my cheese grater but I have to assume it was purchased by one of my ancestors directly from a blacksmith.

Someone who hasn't, in their lives bought a cheesegrater.

Possibilities;

1) Parents are dead, cheesegrater inherited. Cheesegrater haunted.

2) Rents, uses former tenants cheesegrater. Still some residue of testicle skin on cheesegrater from previous use.

3) Lives with someone else and uses their cheesegrater. Commonly known as gratertrash.

4) Only eats chips and nuggs. Will die of scurvy at 29.

5) buys pre-grated cheese. Is a sucker.

Don't be these people, buy a cheesegrater, its probably only a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Everything in this shop

1935832233_f9f16ef4e1_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What the hell is a Mediatrix - a virgin Dominatrix?

Advertisement