Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sleeper cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

tedpan wrote: »
    if you're a car person, the alloys tell you it's a fast ford.

My Da's 1.8 Mondeo had the same wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I think the question that needs to be answered before we go any further is if a sleeper car is either
    • A high powered car that is modified to look unassuming
    • An unassuming car that has been modified to be fast or
    • A high powered car that comes from the factory and is a special edition that not many people will know about

An example of the third scenario might be a Galant VR-4, that almost looks like a normal Galant except for the VR4 badge and a twin turbo 280bhp engine

DSCF0124.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

farna_boy wrote: »
    I think the question that needs to be answered before we go any further is if a sleeper car is either
    • A high powered car that comes from the factory and is a special edition that not many people will know about

An example of the third scenario might be a Galant VR-4, that almost looks like a normal Galant except for the VR4 badge and a twin turbo 280bhp engine

A bit of all 3 imo, essentially it's the surprise factor you would have over someone is something more blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Any Mini Cooper S, usually 1.6 supercharged with 170 ponnies, looks like teenagers college car.

You wont get car looking more "usual" as this yet will trash you from the start.

no-photo.gif

Also any lad in sportified Glanza. Same thing as with Cooper S.

MjMyMDU1ODBlYjIwMmU0YjA0YzVjZDc0MGE2Nzg4NjVna2w5G_9EFsDXoPWNRR7yaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzM0NjA4MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

A sleeper car is a quick car that insurance companies give reasonable quotes on.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    A sleeper car is a quick car that insurance companies give reasonable quotes on.

No, that's a unicorn or a hens tooth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

It's always been the 190e cosworth for me .. especially the 2.5 without the mental evo spoiler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yeah, sleepers usually give nothing away.

The Mondeo is nearly as good although if you're a car person, the alloys tell you it's a fast ford.

To be honest the alloys are ghia x spec wheels. They can be got from factory at the time with the 2.0 petrol and diesel (130bhp) and both V6's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

DSCF0124.jpg.

Anyone who played Gran Turismo would spot a VR4 straight away.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Anyone who played Gran Turismo would spot a VR4 straight away.

Debadge it and I wouldn't be so sure. Even at that most people wouldn't give it a second glance.

On the other hand most people would see the Glanza and the bonnet scoop and guess something was up, even if they just thought it was modified by a boy racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Debadge it and I wouldn't be so sure. Even at that most people wouldn't give it a second glance.

On the other hand most people would see the Glanza and the bonnet scoop and guess something was up, even if they just thought it was modified by a boy racer.

They would though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

I came up behind a car a while back with a badge I didn't recognise and it was toddling along at abut 90 kph. I was debating whether to overtake when it took off and left me for dead in two seconds flat. It was stopped outside a shop in the next town and I got a close up of the badge. An internet search told me it was a Holden GTS.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They would though

I think you are vastly over estimating the amount of people who have either played Gran Turismo or give a flying **** about cars.

To be honest, I'm not sure that I would recognise a debadged vr4 since that era Galant was already aggressively styled.

The point I was trying to make was that if a car has a massive spoiler or a bonnet scoop, most people who don't care about cars will tweak that it isn't a normal slow/boring car.

Feel free to post your own version of sleeper cars so we don't get bogged down in crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

To me this is what sleepers are all about.

https://youtu.be/YN3hJIhREzs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Carpentry wrote: »
    Any Mini Cooper S, usually 1.6 supercharged with 170 ponnies, looks like teenagers college car.

You wont get car looking more "usual" as this yet will trash you from the start.

Any self-respecting car lover will recognise Cooper S - it is obvious by the looks of its tail pipes. And everyone knows what an original Mini Cooper was...

grogi wrote:
    Any self-respecting car lover will recognise Cooper S - it is obvious by the looks of its tail pipes. And everyone knows what an original Mini Cooper was...

Not really about car lovers, they'll spot the tells; wider tyres, extra pipe etc, it's more for the 'I've a fast car' brigade who know f all about cars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

BMW E60 535D with a remap

Volvo S60 2.4 T5 with a remap

Hot hatches are not sleepers sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

BMW E60 535D with a remap

Volvo S60 2.4 T5 with a remap

Hot hatches are not sleepers sorry

I had a starlet that probably would have made a show of both of those, so sorry yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

None of those German cars are sleepers. They look like they're going to be quick..

To a lesser extent non car enthusiasts presume all BMWs and Audi's are 'fast' also so they can't be classed as sleepers IMO.

I'd regard something like this as a sleeper:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-v6-2000/15646576

A car that's usually 'invisible' like a golf or corolla or primera that packs a punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

s15r330 wrote: »
    I had a starlet that probably would have made a show of both of those, so sorry yourself!

535d has more torque than an M5 before the remap, nevermind after. I'm sure the Starlet would have many advantages such as weight etc but "a show" I think we'd all have to witness it.

MarkN wrote: »
    535d has more torque than an M5 before the remap, nevermind after. I'm sure the Starlet would have many advantages such as weight etc but "a show" I think we'd all have to witness it.

A starlet with 298bhp that weighed just over 850kg vs a 535d with say 340bhp? and weighing close to 1900kg.

372bhp/tonne starlet against 179bhp/tonne 535d.

The bmw's torque would surely have it off the line quicker but as soon as the starlet came on boost forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

These Mazda 6 MPS's comes in completely below 95% of peoples radar.

AWD
    260bhp 380Nm
    Blends in with the crowd, though there are noticeable differences if you go looking.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-mps-awd-260bhp-2-year-nct/15179330

MDA0NTg2NTkwNjYxZmZiODVmZmNkMDNlMmNiYTQxNWUJO-bals3kT6ZGs-CbwK0KaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjAxNDUzMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

s15r330 wrote: »

I've had a couple fast hatchbacks myself and as i said not a sleeper as any turbo hatch making big power will have a 3 inch exhaust system which will make it very noticible when on boost as you say :)

Same reason i don't consider my old S4 avant to have been a sleeper even though parked it was, because you would have to be deaf to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

These Mazda 6 MPS's comes in completely below 95% of peoples radar.

That is opposite of a sleeper...

ZjRkYzgxZGY1MjkwNWM5YmRlNWQzNDc4NTkyOWNiZmMyPrWMq5HFYP5E96zHLz65aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjAxNDUzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Lovely car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Cant find one on sale to link to but my past Insignia would be borderline sleeper. 2.0l Turbo, 220BHP.

Didnt stand out to look at but left many a car surprised at the lights :)

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Cant find one on sale to link to but my past Insignia would be borderline sleeper. 2.0l Turbo, 220BHP.

Didnt stand out to look at but left many a car surprised at the lights :)

Mental tax though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Passat 4.0 litre W8, take away the badges and it looks like just another smokey Passat TDi:

2003_volkswagen_passat_used_5247943_1.jpg?version=1492521764

Advertisement