Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sleeper cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

bazz26 wrote:
    Passat 4.0 litre W8, take away the badges and it looks like just another smokey Passat TDi:

Perfect example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Subaru Forester 2.5 AWD with looks of a farmers SUV, especially older one with two-tone exterior. 0-60 in 6.3 sec

NDhjZDk1Yzc2ZWUyYTAxYWE5YzU5NDkzYTQ3ZWIzYmL_a8E_XJZ99sAFjTeWr8XfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18zMjU0OTQ3NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bazz26 wrote: »
    Passat 4.0 litre W8, take away the badges and it looks like just another smokey Passat TDi:

2003_volkswagen_passat_used_5247943_1.jpg?version=1492521764

No way it's got to be a W12 Volks-Bentley!

If you really want to confuse the boys at the mart put on a towbar dress it up with Al Hayes stickers and plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2jz-lexus-is300-read-add/15934290

Yzdl_Zm_Fm_Yz_Vh_NTli_NDBj_ZTkx_YWQ5_NTkw_NTQ4_MTk2_Nj_Nwrj_M7.jpg

Lexus is300 estate n/a 2jz 210bhp and to almost everyone it'll look like a run of the mill auto 2.0

Lots of tuning potential too if a person wanted to make a serious sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

elperello wrote: »

There was a 3l TDI hanging around here a few months ago. Had no idea what it was till i googled it. Would definitely be a sleeper, but this one had all the badges on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Are Volvo the masters of sleepers? I've always had a hankering for a V70R. None for sale in Ireland, but they're a cracker sleeper car.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volvo/v70/volvo-v70-2-5-r-geartronic-5dr/7025438

Someone on boards.ie had one from Beshoffs in Howth with orange nappa seats. I almost bought it before them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

John_Rambo wrote:
    Are Volvo the masters of sleepers? I've always had a hankering for a V70R. None for sale in Ireland, but they're a cracker sleeper car.

Like it. The only let down is the rear end and the lightweight racing alloys.. They make it look like a beast

Continuing with Volvo theme.... Volvo V50 T5. 2.5 petrol AWD with 220 BHP, 0-60 6.9 sec

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/v50-t5-volvo-estate-65-000miles-nct-taxed/15564494

OGExNjM3YTY4YWEwZjAzZTJiNWZiYTcwZDY2ZWVjNTli8sQYublMd_JDwgkmsFgaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDE2NDU1NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This could be a decent contender. No badges on the back. Looks like a normal wagon. Hidden inside is a 4.2l

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s4-quattro/14400924

Or this older 728i

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-728i-sport/15685480

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

A BMW or Merc can never really be a sleeper....
    It needs to be a common boring bread and butter car that no one would blink an eye at.

ap7cHGMhS-aWPG8CxBO7uA?w=1400&h=788&fm=pjpg&auto=enhance,compress&fit=crop&crop=faces,edges&max-w=1280&max-h=720

It has a 550bhp Cosworth YB.

PictureorVideo079.jpg

Google the Royal Nail Van.

In terms of looking at them, i'd assume run of the mill cars. I know little to nothing about audi/BMW so if i saw thoses with no badges i would assume 1.8/2l max.

Reventon93 wrote: »
    In terms of looking at them, i'd assume run of the mill cars. I know little to nothing about audi/BMW so if i saw thoses with no badges i would assume 1.8/2l max.

So after seeing any 5m long car you would assume that is being run by 1.8l engine ? You for real ?

Carpentry wrote: »
    So after seeing any 5m long car you would assume that is being run by 1.8l engine ? You for real ?

Well unless donedeal is wrong, i count everything but 5 audi wagons with a 2l engine or under, when i look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Well unless donedeal is wrong, i count everything but 5 audi wagons with a 2l engine or under, when i look them up.

Irish imagination for you right there :(

Well equivalent to BMW 7 series is in Audi A8, hard impossible to find one with less than 2l engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

To be fair, all of the 'S' Audis could be considered sleeper cars as the vast vast majority of the population would guess that they have 2.0tdi engines and wouldn't look twice at one.

Any S-line with twin exhausts would be hard for joe public to tell apart from something with real pedigree. Same for most of the AMG mercs.

Even yesterday I walked past a black S4 avant with two friends and commented 'serious car'. They said 'what do you mean it's just an a4 estate?!?' their Jaws dropped when I explained it had a 4.2 v8 under the bonnet!! They couldn't believe it and first comment was about the tax on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

This post has been deleted.

True, this is what my old one sounded like with some exhaust work, still had 2 cats :p

You would want to be deaf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Carpentry wrote:
    Well equivalent to BMW 7 series is in Audi A8, hard to find one with less than 2l engine.

Huh? The smallest 7 series or A8 is a 2.8 litre petrol. It's been that way for 30 or so years

I'd say hard to find is a bit of an understatement :-D

tedpan wrote: »
    Huh? The smallest 7 series or A8 is a 2.8 litre petrol. It's been that way for 30 or so years

I'd say hard to find is a bit of an understatement :-D

That was meant to be a bit of an irony ;) but fixed that for you know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

To be fair, all of the 'S' Audis could be considered sleeper cars as the vast vast majority of the population would guess that they have 2.0tdi engines and wouldn't look twice at one.

Any S-line with twin exhausts would be hard for joe public to tell apart from something with real pedigree. Same for most of the AMG mercs.

Even yesterday I walked past a black S4 avant with two friends and commented 'serious car'. They said 'what do you mean it's just an a4 estate?!?' their Jaws dropped when I explained it had a 4.2 v8 under the bonnet!! They couldn't believe it and first comment was about the tax on it...

I wouldn't class an S model as a sleeper but then my real world experience is most people think mine is a diesel. Ireland is a hard one to jusdge though in terms of car heads, most people who know what it is will spot the signs on any fast car .

In my experience of Ireland and i guess i've owned a few sleepers ..

People assume it's a diesel.
    Then when the find out it's petrol they ask why.
    They assume it would be slower because it's petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Here's the bog standard Rover 75 2Litre diesel:

AETV87882596_1b.jpg

And here's the 4.6 Litre petrol rwd v8 limited to 155mph. Only difference on the outside is the 4 exhausts (which are fairly hidden), the small V8 badge on the side and some had an extended grille on the front.

img_9640.jpg

Cienciano wrote: »

And here's the 4.6 Litre petrol rwd v8 limited to 155mph. Only difference on the outside is the 4 exhausts (which are fairly hidden), the small V8 badge on the side and some had an extended grille on the front.

the ONLY ? Id say thats more than only. You see the car with quad exhaust you can tell straight away that is seriously powered, especially when you join it together with V8 badge. Not to mention the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

tossy wrote: »
    I wouldn't class an S model as a sleeper but then my real world experience is most people think mine is a diesel. Ireland is a hard one to jusdge though in terms of car heads, most people who know what it is will spot the signs on any fast car .

In my experience of Ireland and i guess i've owned a few sleepers ..

People assume it's a diesel.
    Then when the find out it's petrol they ask why.
    They assume it would be slower because it's petrol.

I agree fully, what we consider a sleeper vs what the general public wouldn't be able to spot are two different things...

Most people would consider a 2.0tdi a high performance car!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cienciano wrote: »

the ONLY ? Id say thats more than only. You see the car with quad exhaust you can tell straight away that is seriously powered, especially when you join it together with V8 badge. Not to mention the sound of it.

Plenty of dual/quad exhaust 150bhp Audis knocking about... in fact I would say most new 'sport' trim cars have some kind of fake exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

mloc123 wrote: »
    Plenty of dual/quad exhaust 150bhp Audis knocking about... in fact I would say most new 'sport' trim cars have some kind of fake exhaust.

Sure the i40 has a dual exhaust :)

mloc123 wrote: »

Dual/Quad ??? Its quite a difference, actually double the difference between dual and quad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

8 seconds to 60.. hardly a Rocket. About average compared to almost all new 2l diesel family cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I fitted a turbo from an E300TD and mongrel pump to my old 406. Surprised many cars on the road :)

Going to go with a vnt in due time though :)

I do love a good sleeper

Oh no, E36 beaten by a little Seicento :)

Advertisement