Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Hon the Royal :D

27 Points, great display of speed and accuracy, need to sort out the goal chances we missed and the ones that we conceded, apart from that, a good win against the septic neighbours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Good win in the end, 27 points is a good total, i wasnt at it so cant comment but i'd be a bit worried that if louth can get 3-9 what Kildare might get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

It was a great game in parnell today. Good attacking football no negative blankets. Cant complain about a 9 point win and 27 score. Our point taking was very good. Biggie immense. MOTM. Very nervy defending though. POR shouldnt be allowed near a Meath jersey again after that second goal

Flourbags confirmed for Tullamore Saturday week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the hell POR was doing for the second goal? I was in the terrace on the opposite end. He didn't have the greatest of games but still made two good saves and was unlucky for the third goal. Let's hope that's all his mistakes gone in one game. He's been very solid so far this season.

Had we been on form up front, we should have been hitting 40 points today. Missed a ridiculous amount of goal chances. Biggie and Lenehan were fantastic. Thought Toher and Jones did very well also. We just completely lost it in defence when McGill went off (which was a joke of a decision). We conceded 18 points and were cut open up the middle far too often again. I'd shudder to think what score Kildare could run up if we played the same way.

Anyone know if James McEntee was injured?

• Advertisement

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the hell POR was doing for the second goal? I was in the terrace on the opposite end. He didn't have the greatest of games but still made two good saves and was unlucky for the third goal. Let's hope that's all his mistakes gone in one game. He's been very solid so far this season.

Had we been on form up front, we should have been hitting 40 points today. Missed a ridiculous amount of goal chances. Biggie and Lenehan were fantastic. Thought Toher and Jones did very well also. We just completely lost it in defence when McGill went off (which was a joke of a decision). We conceded 18 points and were cut open up the middle far too often again. I'd shudder to think what score Kildare could run up if we played the same way.

Anyone know if James McEntee was injured?

McEntee was injured before the game and seemingly there was some row going on that we were not allowed to replace him on the subs bench, was listening to the radio while watching

the last time we put up a score like that was in Carlow 1996 where we scored 26 if I remember rightly, we all know what happened later that year ;)
    We live in Hope :D

Great to see the reaction to each of the Louth goals, hit back at them straight away everytime, also nice to put in a 70 minute performance, no second half capitulation, no first half disaster and having to chase game, we conceded three poor goals, plenty to work on but McEntee's decision to build our attack around pure speed looks like it will make it an interesting summer at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

As far as I could make out for the second goal POR was too busy throwing the kicking tee back in the goal and wasn't watching play. Good display today as Hammer said 40 points wouldn't have flattered us. The peno and the second goal were avoidable too we really should've been out of sight with 20 to play.

What impressed me was we finished so strong, Louth had three or four lads down with cramp in the last ten and our lads were still flying. We're on the right track but still have a fair job of work to do, lovely little cameo off the bench from Thomas Reilly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I thought Colm O'Rourke usually excused himself when his relations were involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I know it was only against Louth, but there were really some nice moves and some nice points kicked by Meath.

I thought Colm O'Rourke usually excused himself when his relations were involved?

he usually does but beating Louth in the Championship is probably not really recognized as such

• Advertisement

Looking at the Sunday Game, Paddy just seemed to completely lose his bearings while back tracking. He'll no doubt be mortified but I'm not actually that bothered to be honest. I've been a big critic of his in recent seasons but he's improved immensely this season. This is the first real mistake he's made this season as far as I can remember.
    What's worrying is the complete overreaction on social media. He made one poor mistake in the game. He made two decent saves and was massively unlucky with the third goal. His kickouts (apart from that one) were fantastic also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While beating Louth isn't really by itself a huge achievement, I'm glad to have gotten that game over with comfortably enough in the end.

Firstly because I always want us to win, obviously. Secondly because I hope we never ever ever lose to Louth in the championship while I'm alive, as the amount of nonsensical "revenge for 2010" commentary afterwards will be unbearable, even if we beat them in 100 games in a row before they finally get that win.

Looking at the Sunday Game, Paddy just seemed to completely lose his bearings while back tracking. He'll no doubt be mortified but I'm not actually that bothered to be honest. I've been a big critic of his in recent seasons but he's improved immensely this season. This is the first real mistake he's made this season as far as I can remember.
    What's worrying is the complete overreaction on social media. He made one poor mistake in the game. He made two decent saves and was massively unlucky with the third goal. His kickouts (apart from that one) were fantastic also.

Yeah when I watched it back last night I was a bit calmer, he actually had a decent game apart from the mistake, I think he thought it was going over the bar to be honest but the Louth lad shanked his shot. As for social media you need to forget it, when the team was announced on Friday everywhere there was clowns saying the problem with Meath football is there isn't enough players from "traditional" clubs on the team, or the county champions etc. If things were that easy to fix we'd be winning All Irelands all over the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I was behind the goal Meath defended in the first half. Mickey Burke does too man watching in defense. He needs to work on his anticipation of when the ball is being delivered in. He was at fault for the first goal yesterday. He was literally staring at his man with his back to the play. When the ball was kicked in he turned around to see where it was going but by that stage his man and got a jump on him and he was gone.

The penalty decision was a by product of what happened immediately before. The Louth forward was brought down initially and a big appeal went up by the Louth fans behind the goal. This probably should have been given and I think the ref realized this. Therefore he was in super sensitive mode for any additional foul in the couple of seconds afterwards so he could re atone for his error in judgment. Unluckily for Meath we would have been better off if he gave the original decision as it would have left us with Gill still on the pitch.

The penalty decision was a by product of what happened immediately before. The Louth forward was brought down initially and a big appeal went up by the Louth fans behind the goal. This probably should have been given and I think the ref realized this. Therefore he was in super sensitive mode for any additional foul in the couple of seconds afterwards so he could re atone for his error in judgment. Unluckily for Meath we would have been better off if he gave the original decision as it would have left us with Gill still on the pitch.
    Agree with you on that. I saw the referee put his whistle to his mouth after the initial incident (even though I think it was just outside the box) and he then seemed to be looking for any excuse to give a penalty. McGill was having a very good game up to then and it's worrying that we don't seem to have a back up for full back.
    For Kildare, I'd bring Keogan back to the corner. I think a full back line of him, McGill and Tobin which is our strongest back line. That obviously leaves the half back line problem though.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2017/06/06/4141205-longwood-win-as-officials-claim-mickey-burke-told-not-to-play/

Longwood are claiming Mickey Burke was asked not to play tonight, and I seen another report saying James Toher didn't line out for Trim. If you ask me it's amateur hour by the county board asking lads to line out in the hurling championship 48 hours or so after playing for Meath and 11 days out from a Leinster semi. Obviously it needs running off no more than the football does, but if this is true it's on the county board for putting the lads and their clubs in this position. I don't know if anyone else lined out tonight?

No Brian McMahon for Ratoath this evening either. Probably was the difference between winning and losing the game against Kilmessan as we really missed his pace in the forwards.

Looking at the GAA's new hurling championship structure, looks like Meath get royally screwed (pun intended) yet again.
    We "win" the Christy Ring last year, the scoring mistake comes out, the GAA comes out stating categorically that there can be no double promotion.
    We win the replay and get promoted. We compete in the Leinster round robin and get relegated on scoring difference after being level with Westmeath who came second. Now, the GAA come out and say there will be a double promotion in the Christy Ring this year (and only this year).

Christ almighty, the GAA couldn't give less of a sh!t about hurling outside the "Big 10" (bar Antrim maybe) if they tried.

Yeah thats very annoying considering we had to take a drop to Nicky Rackard to accomadate they're last tinkering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

they said last year they couldnt possibly promote 2 teams last year!
    watch as our county board stand by and do nothing on the issue as normal

the clubs should have refused to play last night

• Advertisement

Looking at the GAA's new hurling championship structure, looks like Meath get royally screwed (pun intended) yet again.
    We "win" the Christy Ring last year, the scoring mistake comes out, the GAA comes out stating categorically that there can be no double promotion.
    We win the replay and get promoted. We compete in the Leinster round robin and get relegated on scoring difference after being level with Westmeath who came second. Now, the GAA come out and say there will be a double promotion in the Christy Ring this year (and only this year).

Christ almighty, the GAA couldn't give less of a sh!t about hurling outside the "Big 10" (bar Antrim maybe) if they tried.

I didn't hear that bit, I heard the draw yesterday morning for Antrim, sorry the Christy Ring winners, against Laois or Westmeath and thought how handy is that when we didn't get it last year, but this decision is rubbish. Whats the apparent logic behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

they are doing everything in the power to get antrim back into top group

only thing is with both them gone christy ring will be easy won next year

Juniors are into the Leinster final after beating Wexford 1-17 to 10 points. Final against Louth in Croker on June 25th.

Hopefully the Juniors can bring a bit more silverware home.

Martin Ennis not taking the hurling relegation lying down which is good to see. Hope his own county board fights his corner.

Read Martin Ennis today and he's dead right, it's an utter farce bringing both teams up. On another note while I'm happy to see the Juniors get a run in Croker is it not a bit odd having it ahead of the Dublin game in Croker? I don't know if I'd be bothered paying ?25 to go in to it just because it's on ahead of a senior game and probably a good few in both counties be the same, where if it was in Navan or Drogheda you'd get a decent crowd.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Read Martin Ennis today and he's dead right, it's an utter farce bringing both teams up. On another note while I'm happy to see the Juniors get a run in Croker is it not a bit odd having it ahead of the Dublin game in Croker? I don't know if I'd be bothered paying ?25 to go in to it just because it's on ahead of a senior game and probably a good few in both counties be the same, where if it was in Navan or Drogheda you'd get a decent crowd.
    The hurlers are goosed now. Antrim lost the Christy Ring final again. The GAA are desperate to see them back in the Liam McCarthy so they'll probably do everything in their power to bring them up with Carlow.

I don't like slating counties who share our struggle in hurling terms, but Antrim probably have the greatest sense of self importance and entitlement of all counties in Gaelic Games. They're on a similar level to Westmeath, Carlow, Laois etc. yet I don't hear those counties go on about how they should never be relegated under any circumstances.

They harp on about how Liam MacCarthy level is their "natural" place in hurling, which is surprising given the number of 10 and 20 (or 30, as was the case against Limerick a few years ago) point beatings they get when they have competed at that level.

They didn't give a fiddlers f*ck about the Christy Ring from when it started until 2016. As soon as they got relegated to the CR they were introducing motions to congress for the Christy Ring winner to go into the Liam MacCarthy level the same year. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd considered submitting a motion to congress for Antrim to be promoted back to Liam MacCarthy "just because". It annoyed me last year after the first Christy Ring final, with several Antrim people effectively saying "we don't care about the Christy Ring anyway, let Meath keep the trophy and just promote us back where we belong".

The most bizarre part of it all is that the GAA seem to listen to Antrim's moaning and tailor the rules to suit them. Their yardstick of the health of hurling outside of the top 10 or so is "are Antrim in Liam MacCarthy?". I don't think it's a coincidence that the Antrim senior hurling manager was on the committee which produced the plan to promote both CR finalists regardless of the result.

I don't like slating counties who share our struggle in hurling terms, but Antrim probably have the greatest sense of self importance and entitlement of all counties in Gaelic Games. They're on a similar level to Westmeath, Carlow, Laois etc. yet I don't hear those counties go on about how they should never be relegated under any circumstances.

They harp on about how Liam MacCarthy level is their "natural" place in hurling, which is surprising given the number of 10 and 20 (or 30, as was the case against Limerick a few years ago) point beatings they get when they have competed at that level.

They didn't give a fiddlers f*ck about the Christy Ring from when it started until 2016. As soon as they got relegated to the CR they were introducing motions to congress for the Christy Ring winner to go into the Liam MacCarthy level the same year. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd considered submitting a motion to congress for Antrim to be promoted back to Liam MacCarthy "just because". It annoyed me last year after the first Christy Ring final, with several Antrim people effectively saying "we don't care about the Christy Ring anyway, let Meath keep the trophy and just promote us back where we belong".

The most bizarre part of it all is that the GAA seem to listen to Antrim's moaning and tailor the rules to suit them. Their yardstick of the health of hurling outside of the top 10 or so is "are Antrim in Liam MacCarthy?". I don't think it's a coincidence that the Antrim senior hurling manager was on the committee which produced the plan to promote both CR finalists regardless of the result.

Did Antrim play in 3 different championships last year? CR, AI and Ulster

We have been screwed again by the GAA, as have all the other weaker counties.

Did Antrim play in 3 different championships last year? CR, AI and Ulster

We have been screwed again by the GAA, as have all the other weaker counties.

No they only competed in Christy Ring and Ulster, though Ulster doesn't really count in the greater scheme of things.

• Advertisement

Not quoting all your post Crab but it's spot on. there's massive work going on in a lot of counties, just because Antrim have been a historical hurling county doesn't mean they should get a free pass you should be in the Liam on merit.

Advertisement