Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pay by weight july 17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My response to a local radio station here in Cork.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/879995324688998401

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Have to say that I never really understood how the pay by weight system was really going to reduce waste.
    But I can see the rationale of banning a flat monthly charge, sure there are some people who would still recycle anyway, but there are many who don't bother at all because there is absulutely no incentive to recycle with a flat monthly charge.

But unfortunatly private companys will use it as an excuse to increase charges. It all should never have been privatised in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It all should never have been privatised in the first place.

theres growing evidence that privatisation of critical public services such as waste management is indeed failing as it creates the ideal conditions for profit maximisation for those private industries. i do suspect the polluter pays principle will also fail for these reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Phil.x wrote: »
    I just got this bill today, it will be very interesting to see what it goes up-to.

Varadkar has conceded that some bills will go up.
    I'll hazard a guess and say that ALL bills will go up.

Government changes its mind yet again. New system now not due to take effect until maybe September according to RTE News. Frances Fitzgerald spoke of "Autumn" in the Dail today.

EDIT: link to RTE news article: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0629/886537-waste-charges/

I'd agree with FF that at least there should be a waste regulator established since what is an essential service is in the hands of the private sector. They intend to have a motion in the Dail next week calling for no change until this regulator is established. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole issue is kicked into 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Changes should be encouraged from the top for example I buy 6 pack of apples, punnett of strawberries, punnet of mandarin oranges in Tesco. Once I pay for them why don't shops allow you the option to take 2mins aside when you are packing to reef off the plastic packaging and dispose it in a recycling bin in store. Could also do the same to cardboard boxes from cereals, biscuits and I'm sure many more products. If you pack carefully your food won't get squshed. And let the big retailers take the hit for recycling. As Tesco keeps telling us 'Every little helps'. It sure would.

Some further information from the Irish Examiner. The 12 month price freeze agreed with the companies will end on Saturday, but the abolition of flat fee contracts won't happen till the autumn.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pay-by-weight-waste-fees-plan-delayed-again-453767.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will weights and measures certify each bin as legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Field east

I assume that the bulk of the bin contents, be it black or/and green or/and brown, from all company's collecting in and around Dublin are delivering their loads to the new incinerator at Sandymount. Does anyone have any idea as to what the financial arrangement is per load/ton delivered. Do the bin companies get paid for it or is there a gate charge and if so is it cheaper or more expensive than the current landfill charges. AND do'nt tell me that this is commercially sensitive information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Green Star put up the standing charge every 6 months after it first was brought in that you had to sign up to a service. Pure gangsterism. Part of the reason is people are putting out the bins less due to recycling and the cost, so the general waste routes weren't making enough money. So they put the recycling bin cost up as well.

If the EU thought these measures would increase recycling and be good for the environment they really need a course in Irish cute hoorism 101

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

taylor3 wrote: »
    Changes should be encouraged from the top for example I buy 6 pack of apples, punnett of strawberries, punnet of mandarin oranges in Tesco. Once I pay for them why don't shops allow you the option to take 2mins aside when you are packing to reef off the plastic packaging and dispose it in a recycling bin in store. Could also do the same to cardboard boxes from cereals, biscuits and I'm sure many more products. If you pack carefully your food won't get squshed. And let the big retailers take the hit for recycling. As Tesco keeps telling us 'Every little helps'. It sure would.

Im going to start doing this anyway, there's a bin outside the door at my Aldi, I often go in just for a few items for the dinner, I'll toss the boxes from frozen stuff on the way out, it's usually got a bag inside anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Naughton would be far better off trying to get those people who do not have bins or any type of dispoal in the first place rather than screwing those that already dispose of their waste responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Can any gob****e be in government, seriously! At least with trades and other professions there's an apprenticeship or training to get you ready or weed you out.

These TD'S make my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

That's the least of my worries, my lowlife neighbours will be more than happy to fill up my bin after I leave it out at 7am and head to work. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

marketty wrote: »
    That's the least of my worries, my lowlife neighbours will be more than happy to fill up my bin after I leave it out at 7am and head to work. Disaster.

There is these bin lock options https://purchase.ie/product/all-products/bin-lock

Or, instead of buying the lock, I would strongly consider topping up a half empty general waste bin with bags of recycled waste so no one can dump their rubbish into the bin. The recycle waste shouldn't be too heavy so shouldn't add to much to the monthly weight allowance. Obviously I wouldn't put the general waste into the recycled bin though, the green bin is never half empty anyways.

NSAI will test and calibrate these scales once per year and then do one random check in that year.

These are the words I got from naughten himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can any gob****e be in government, seriously! At least with trades and other professions there's an apprenticeship or training to get you ready or weed you out.

These TD'S make my blood boil.

You mean the ones you voted for/didn't vote for!*

*Delete as appropriate.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

taylor3 wrote:

That would cause chaos. Imagine the queues down the aisles as little old Mary, who struggles to pack her shopping at the best of times, is suddenly opening every little box and packet in her trolley to try save a few pounds of her pension money on waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

dbagman wrote: »
    Imagine the queues down the aisles as little old Mary, who struggles to pack her shopping at the best of times, is suddenly opening every little box and packet in her trolley

Oh Mary, why don't you have some sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm generally all for competition but having multiple bin companies running the same routes seems inherently wasteful. The councils should tender out the services for a particular area, with minimum standards and fixed fees for the period of the contract (and companies awarded the contracts should be registered and paying tax in the EU)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

loyatemu wrote:
    I'm generally all for competition but having multiple bin companies running the same routes seems inherently wasteful. The councils should tender out the services for a particular area, with minimum standards and fixed fees for the period of the contract (and companies awarded the contracts should be registered and paying tax in the EU)

It is stupidly wasteful. In my estate there are 3 bin companies collecting, all on different days, and each collecting waste, recycling and organic, and at least one collecting glass. This means at least 3 times a week smelly, noisy and dangerous bin lorries around the place, not to mention bloody unsightly wheelie bins all over the place. It's beyond a joke now that we're going to be charged by weight, going by the figures released last year my bill will double, that's before I pay for my neighbours waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

NSAI will test and calibrate these scales once per year and then do one random check in that year.

These are the words I got from naughten himself.

Any idea what the procedure is for addressing errors? Would there be any independent body to appeal to? I had a bin measured at 952kg last year. Who will regulate situations like this and ensure fair treatment for the customer?

Could I be charged a fortune and then have to fight for compensation? I'm concerned about situations like this and Greyhound have just fobbed me off because it happened to be a green bin so I wasn't affected by overcharging - they wouldn't countenance the fact it could just as easily happen for a black or brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Field east

The government is stating that it has no remit/ authority to control bin charges. So the companies can charge what they like and the 'market' will sort it out.

The refuse collection service is a service provided by the private sector to the public at large The accommodation provision service is provided by the private sector also for the public at large. So, how come that the Government has no problem in bringing in legislation to control the cost of rent but cannot do the same for bin clollection charges.
    AND can the Gov also not control car insurance costs in the same way that it has got involved in rent control?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Got my renewal email from greyhound, dublin 13 area. I was paying 13 per month flat fee. Email says "your price plan for next 12 months is 16.50. looks like greyhound wont be phasing out monthly flat fee just yet.

New restrictions are brown bin not over 40kg and black bin allowance of 42kg PER MONTH, if over 42kg per month they will charge 30c per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Field east wrote:
    The government is stating that it has no remit/ authority to control bin charges. So the companies can charge what they like and the 'market' will sort it out.

I've had enough of this market nonsense!

Got my renewal email from greyhound, dublin 13 area. I was paying 13 per month flat fee. Email says "your price plan for next 12 months is 16.50. looks like greyhound wont be phasing out monthly flat fee just yet.

New restrictions are brown bin not over 40kg and black bin allowance of 42kg PER MONTH, if over 42kg per month they will charge 30c per kg

42kg per month!! Surely that's a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

42kg per month!! Surely that's a mistake

That what it says, i will ring tomorrow to check

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

That what it says, i will ring tomorrow to check

21kg every two weeks.....Christ Almighty.....and that's on top of an increase on the monthly charge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Crap... fly tipping is very bad in my area anyway and I'm spotting rats more often. This is going to get worse I'd imagine :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The thing is if my bin is full and I have to put extra paid for bags out that's a fairly obvious and transparent charging structure. The problem with pay by weight is I have no way of accurately checking my bin when it goes out. So the system is immediately open to abuse whats to stop an unscrupulous operator leaning on the bin whilst it's been weighed.

Advertisement