Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pay by weight july 17

Options
  • 10-06-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi
    as its only 3 weeks to july and afik pay by weight is due to start on july 1st.

Is the still the case or has it being scraped quietly as not much news or fuss about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I could see it being electoral suicide if it goes in, especially with the water charges being "dropped".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Another can kicked down the road last year by Coveny. Getting tired of this piecemeal politic. Time for them to make the big decisions and we accept or reject them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Any of the big companies websites I've checked have it being implemented from July 2017. Goverment probably keeping their heads down and hoping nobody notices.

http://thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic/pay-by-weight/
    Pay by Weight is coming on July 1st 2016 2017 and as a Thorntons Recycling customer you don’t have to worry about the changeover.
    We currently weigh every lift from your household bins and know exactly how much each one weighs.
    When the new rules begin we will simply be dropping our ‘per lift’ charge and instead applying a ‘per kg’ rate for each service.
    https://greyhound.ie/faq-making-the-choice-pay-by-weight/
    Many customers were happy to transfer to pay by weight and they have the option to stay on this plan if they so wish whilst others who preferred their current charging plan now have the choice to remain on this plan until the end of July 2017.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I just received notice from Greyhound about renewal of our account on August 1st (since they forced us to renew in July last year even though we were paid up til October). The price plan being offered is a continuation of our pay by lift plan with annual service charge - though both the annual charge and the black bin lift charge have increased. Absolutely no mention of pay by weight.

• Advertisement

New measures announced it seems. Flat fee bin charges are to be phased out. Pay by weight or pay per lift to be allowed. Standing charges allowed too.

So its a change on the pay by weight only system that was originally planned for.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/flatfee-bin-charges-to-be-banned-in-bid-to-increase-recycling-rates-35871506.html

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0627/886009-waste-charges/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

New measures announced it seems.

Ye, saw that on the news, new or renewed fixed price contracts being banned from July, nice of the goverment to give us a whole four days notice.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Any chance bin charges will be reduced under these new measures?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So same as last year.

Is this a joke? Do they not think we read the news or something, they have just opened a new incinerator in Rings End.

What really bugs me about this is, the government pushing there nose into the private industries business, when they handed it over to them cause they made a balls of running it.

I go past Sheriff St most days, they have an unmarked bin truck going around collecting the ****é people just **** out on the streets, no one seems to be enforcing anything down there. Can see this happening more over, I nearly collapsed with City Bin tryna get 30€ out of me for removing a bit of waste, sent them an email, they dropped it to 17€ PM, this is going to see my bills go sky high, and then the SC still on the bill, what a ****ing joke.

Hermy wrote: »
    Any chance bin charges will be reduced under these new measures?

Highly doubt that, Standing Charge still there, then the bin company's own yearly fee, then pay by weight. Company's like to take advantage of confusion and sneak in an increase in prices for good measure.

Still have no idea how it's ment to decrease waste to landfill, people are not going to just stop throwing things out.

Where are the government measures for businesses to improve the stuff there using for packaging?

Start at the top of the chain, no point in going heavy after the end user, that 25kg of waste came from somewhere and ended up there, cut it at the source.

Where are incentives like, returning plastic bottles, cans, etc... ?

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    So same as last year.

Is this a joke? Do they not think we read the news or something, they have just opened a new incinerator in Rings End.

What really bugs me about this is, the government pushing there nose into the private industries business, when they handed it over to them cause they made a balls of running it.

I go past Sheriff St most days, they have an unmarked bin truck going around collecting the ****é people just **** out on the streets, no one seems to be enforcing anything down there. Can see this happening more over, I nearly collapsed with City Bin tryna get 30€ out of me for removing a bit of waste, sent them an email, they dropped it to 17€ PM, this is going to see my bills go sky high, and then the SC still on the bill, what a ****ing joke.

Not quite. Pay per lift systems will be allowed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Well fly tipping will increase for sure, like the song goes....dirty old town, dirty old town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Highly doubt that, Standing Charge still there, then the bin company's own yearly fee, then pay by weight. Company's like to take advantage of confusion and sneak in an increase in prices for good measure.

We used to be just charged by the bin tag which came to a grand total of €98 a year. Then in came the new scheme last year and they were looking for €204 annually before we put out our first wheelie bin. Where's the sense in that?:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Not quite. Pay per lift systems will be allowed too.

Pay per lift systems with a standing charge, yearly bin company fee and then more than likely a limit by the bin company if over a certain KG you'll then pay by KG. So same as paying per KG!

Phil.x wrote: »
    Well fly tipping will increase for sure, like the song goes....dirty old town, dirty old town.

No need for fly tipping, around Sheriff ST certain people literally **** it out on the path. No joke same places each and everyday. Unmarked bin truck goes around and collects it. No need to go up mountains or that. Just chuck it on the kerb outside your house and nothing is seemingly done about it.

Mean while us who pay, are once again getting hammered with ridiculous charges.

Pay per lift systems with a standing charge, yearly bin company fee and then more than likely a limit by the bin company if over a certain KG you'll then pay by KG. So same as paying per KG!

Here in Dundalk, Ace Environmental charge €5 per month, then €7.50 per lift for a 140 ltr bin and €12.50 for a 240 ltr bin.

Here in Dundalk, Ace Environmental charge €5 per month, then €7.50 per lift for a 140 ltr bin and €12.50 for a 240 ltr bin.

True. I am saying it won't be these prices after. Or suddenly around Oct we will all be getting emails telling us the bin company's can't afford the new government introductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 i know u know

I got my renewal in the post today from barna waste for the 6 month renewal flat fee for the 6 months so the pay and weight isnt coming in with barna waste as I rang them and asked them

True. I am saying it won't be these prices after. Or suddenly around Oct we will all be getting emails telling us the bin company's can't afford the new government introductions.

Interesting to see what they do tbh. Their other collection system is a flat fee €30 pm method which will have to be changed under the new regulations. They don't do a pay by weight system currently.

I got my renewal in the post today from barna waste for the 6 month renewal flat fee for the 6 months so the pay and weight isnt coming in with barna waste as I rang them and asked them

I don't think they have a choice if and when it comes in to be honest.

• Advertisement

I'd guess they were unaware of the new regulations as they don't seem to have been made public until quite late in the day. Is your renewal date before or after 1st July? If its before, you might be able to stay on your flat fee rate until it expires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

My contract is up ON the 1st July. Of all dates.... And they've told me they're deducting 300 euro for the year for flat fee.

All a bit messy.

No need for fly tipping, around Sheriff ST certain people literally **** it out on the path. No joke same places each and everyday. Unmarked bin truck goes around and collects it. No need to go up mountains or that. Just chuck it on the kerb outside your house and nothing is seemingly done about it.

Mean while us who pay, are once again getting hammered with ridiculous charges.

If I just chucked it onto the footpath outside my house it would be there for months, if not forever as fingal do next to nothing in the Dublin 15 area.

I just got this bill today, it will be very interesting to see what it goes up-to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Considering I still buy a tag and put out a full wheelie bin every 2-3 months I still don't see where the improvement for me as a customer is.
    I pay by volume at the moment, seems to me the new system basically allows the companies to slapan extra charge on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Rang 2 (rural) companies this morning to see what prices they'd quote me for the pay by weight and they both said this new thing won't be coming in for at least a year with them so they gave me flat rate quotes instead.

Glad personally, but a bit confused. I thought it was meant to be starting from this July?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Johnsee

A very vague announcement by the minister except :

The flat charge of approx €17 that I and many others availed off is gone and basically the government are handing over the setting of charges to the bin companies. Why dont you wash your hands minister and shut the door after you!! There is only one way this will go......!!

I recycle as best as I can, I compost and have a four legged creature to reduce food waste!!!

My major annoyance when this legislation was proposed the last time was the 'standing charge' and the concept of trying to recycle as much as possible and being charged for NOT putting out your bin. And then they wanted to charge you for your green bin as well...

So we wait with baited breath for the detail and the increased charges.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This 'polluter pays' principle is flawed, something must be done about the creators of our materials and products, I think we should also have a 'creator pays' principle. 'Taxing' the end user more will not solve these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Johnsee

@Wanderer78 totally agree with your sentiments.

There needs to be buy in from everyone...

1. Unrecyclable/uncompostable Coffee cups should be banned.
    2. Food producers MUST be made make their packaging minimal/recyclable
    3. Consumers should be allowed to return cans/bottles and be paid for it...
    4. Standing charges should be abolished
    5. Rigid enforcement and prosecution of fly tipping and causal dumping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Johnsee wrote:
    There needs to be buy in from everyone...

This will just cause a backlash from the end user, which is already happening, and understandable so. I can't understand why people in power don't get this, I've even heard people such as Joe Stigliz praising the polluter pays principle, we have to ditch this market knows best nonsense before we destroy our planet.

Advertisement