Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions vs Hurricanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Good game alright although lions should've had that game dead and burried, the refusal to use subs is ludicrous. Yes, I understand he doesn't want to use the call ups but now players like Hendo and stander have no chance of making the tests because they're dead on their feet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Missed the 2nd half in a meeting, sounded intriguing. What did Henderson do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »
    Good game alright although lions should've had that game dead and burried, the refusal to use subs is ludicrous. Yes, I understand he doesn't want to use the call ups but now players like Hendo and stander have no chance of making the tests because they're dead on their feet now.

Stander didn't have a chance after the first half, I would imagine. He was very quiet before coming into it a lot more in the second half. Still has an outside chance of a bench spot. Henderson still might feature on the bench too, you wouldn't know. Someone like Williams played 80 minutes last week and started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Played well, made some good carries, almost got a try, held up...then tackles a guy past horizontal, yellow card and trys scored while he's off to tie the game up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Well that game has made a mockery of the Lions concept.
    Call up players but bloody use them, if they're not good enough for the jersey don't pick them.

Take Darcey for example, rumours abound Fraser Browne turned down the call up, if he did, pick Ross Ford instead, have someone to throw onto the pitch in the last midweek to a. give the players going well a rest (Best, Tipuric, Henderson) and also to bloody win the game.

I feel really sorry for Russell and Davies, of the call ups, they had something genuine to add, Davies at the end there could have been vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Only saw last few minutes - how did Rory Best do? any chance of a Saturday start?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

clearing out a ruck and lifted the right leg of the player... however joseph was there as well and he lifted the left leg ..... so that when hendy pushed, the player was in the air, twisted and landed on the top of his shoulder (could easily have been seen as on the neck!) and it looked bad on henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tip tackle but was assisted by Joseph. Player went beyond horizontal but was returned to just about horizontal on impact. I'd say shoulder came into contact with ground first. Had to be a yellow card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Did anyone besides Russell get on from the 6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dumped one of the canes on his shoulder. Was a fair enough call.

He and Lawes were absolutely immense tonight. North went well, as did Best and Tipuric.

Think Lawes might be the only player to definitely break into the 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

irishman86 wrote: »
    Did anyone besides Russell get on from the 6

Dell played about 5 mins last Tuesday, was part of a front row that won a scrum penalty too.

Harsh on Davies to not get a run tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

.ak wrote: »

There was very little chance of wholesale changes going into the second test anyway. Stander had absolutely no chance, Henderson is aiming for the bench at best.

Guys like that were better off showing what they can do over 80 minutes with the aim of getting involved in the third test.

[Yes, I know the third test will be a dead rubber]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Goddam laidlaw is ridiculously slow

Clermont signed him on 2/3 year deal. Confused

crisco10 wrote: »
    Dell played about 5 mins last Tuesday, was part of a front row that won a scrum penalty too.

Harsh on Davies to not get a run tonight.

Madness not to give them at least a few seconds on the pitch

Buer wrote: »
    80th minute and from way out with a good chase on him. Didn't strike it well but it was a shot to nothing. Bloke had a very good game, can allow him that miss.

A bit more composure, a few more picks and a few more metres for the ruck may have made the difference.

Biggar would be waiting until Saturday for a quick pass.

Joseph's went mad at one stage having run a decent angle only for Laidlaw to look and keep the ball in.

A few seconds for what, a token cap?

[Yes, I know the third test will be a dead rubber]

Get out. And stay out

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They aren't being treated as proper "Lions", which is why they weren't used. Gatland has said as much. They are there to sit on the bench, hold tackle bags in training and only be used in an emergency. They don't deserve pitchtime as they weren't the best players available, they were the closest available.

In hindsight it was pretty irresponsible to go into a game with virtually no bench. Legitimate callups should have been made and used as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Get out. And stay out

I meant that the Lions will be so utterly dominant in the second test that nothing the Kiwis can do in the third will be enough to rescue their reputation, so essentially no-one will care about it. Gatland to be knighted, Hansen to be sent to a penal colony in New Caledonia, Sky Sports to proclaim this the greatest thing ever in history.

token cap, 70k each and a jersey for the wall.

No room for sentimentality though, you're right.

I wonder how Dell feels? Genuine question. Andy Nicol has made a bloody good living off his cameo in 2001.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Great game of rugby. Poite was awful, Gatland was worse.

Yes, bringing someone into that situation and not playing them just continues Gats disgusting way of management

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

razorblunt wrote: »
    token cap, 70k each and a jersey for the wall.

No room for sentimentality though, you're right.

I wonder how Dell feels? Genuine question. Andy Nicol has made a bloody good living off his cameo in 2001.

Payment is pro rata surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yes, bringing someone into that situation and not playing them just continues Gats disgusting way of management

Jaysus I'm no fan of Gatland but that's pretty strong language to be using

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Clermont signed him on 2/3 year deal. Confused

For ridiculous money too.
    Though his game is probably well suited to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

razorblunt wrote: »
    For ridiculous money too.
    Though his game is probably well suited to France.

I saw that, even though he is going to be sitting on the bench behind Morgan Parra. It's not as if Parra will be away with France either.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Payment is pro rata surely?

From what I had read before, it's 70k to be a Lion.
    Bonus for winning the series.

I don't know about the pro rata, I have to admit.

They aren't being treated as proper "Lions", which is why they weren't used. Gatland has said as much. They are there to sit on the bench, hold tackle bags in training and only be used in an emergency. They don't deserve pitchtime as they weren't the best players available, they were the closest available.

In hindsight it was pretty irresponsible to go into a game with virtually no bench. Legitimate callups should have been made.

Off course legitimate callups should have been made but once they werent the lads called up were as much lions as every other player. Gats is doing everything he can to destroy the lions.
    Shane Williams & Court in the last series got game time, no excuse not to play the six lads

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    Stander didn't have a chance after the first half, I would imagine. He was very quiet before coming into it a lot more in the second half. Still has an outside chance of a bench spot. Henderson still might feature on the bench too, you wouldn't know. Someone like Williams played 80 minutes last week and started.

Yeah and then Williams faded in the final quarter, missing a bread and butter catch that led to a try.

It's poor management. Yes, Gatland wins silverware, but his squad management has always been poor.

• Advertisement

I saw that, even though he is going to be sitting on the bench behind Morgan Parra. It's not as if Parra will be away with France either.

The way its structured he'll be getting a €110k raise per year for seasons 2 and 3.
    I wonder will he be moved on after 1? Whilst still earning ~€330k for that season.

Advertisement