Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

VirginiaB wrote: »
    If you zoom, it helps but I'd appreciate any help from other eyes.

I wonder is it just a signature of whoever recorded it followed by the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I can't tell unless the words can be read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

@VirginiaB
    What's the source for the record? Is it Ancestry?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, it is Ancestry. A helpful person found it for me--I am completely unfamiliar with English records tho I have a world membership. They are in the "London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930".

spurious wrote: »
    I wonder is it just a signature of whoever recorded it followed by the date?

The other entries seems to have something similar written under them beginning 'mo' which I'd agree looks like a signature and date.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

"One Birth in Half year ending Lady Day 1861" followed by indecipherable signature with underscript date "Oct 13 anno(?) 1861"

I have wondered if mo means mother.

Can you post a link?
    It's not coming up in a search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Here is what the person on Ancestry posted and how I then found it--

"The records [the poster] posted are on ancestry, in the unindexed London poor law records
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1557

via the small boxes on the right hand side, under "Browse this collection"
    Borough - Camden
    Parish or Poor Law Union - Hampstead
    Record Type - Register of Children"

Back to me, VirginiaB. Then I clicked on 'Register of Births for the Workhouse, 1850-1886'. I looked at each image til I found my family. It is image #10.

Also, these London poor law records are under 'Wills, probates, land, tax and criminal'. A lot of info buried out there.

Thanks - I missed the small boxes on the right first time.

Alas, the record is no clearer on their site.

Might it be 'mother took ill' and the date 'Oct 13 approx 1861'?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Very sorry for the delay in replying. That's a good guess--thank you. I'm going to check all of these images to see if I can be sure on this.

DunnoKidz wrote:
    VirginiaB, perhaps if you could access the before and after pages of this record, the markings may prove more distinguishable, by comparison.

Why didn't I think of that?

Two pages back it becomes quite clear that the format appears to be number of births, quarter ending, quarter day & year, and a signature which might be something Ratcliffe.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you--I had the same thought and the same interpretation. Thank you all for the help, mystery solved.

And thanks to DunnoKidz. I got an email from you but don't see your post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Hermy wrote: »
    Two pages back it becomes quite clear that the format appears to be number of births, quarter ending, quarter day & year, and a signature which might be something Ratcliffe.
    Well done Hermy! :)
    VirginiaB wrote: »
    Thank you--I had the same thought and the same interpretation. Thank you all for the help, mystery solved.

And thanks to DunnoKidz. I got an email from you but don't see your post here.

Sorry about that :o I erased the post - P. Breathnach, spurious and Hermy summed it up much better and more succinctly than I was able to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Any thoughts on the note in the final column on this baptism?
    It's not imaged on irishgenealogy but hopefully there's enough of handwriting to have a decent guess.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the note in the final column on this baptism?
    It's not imaged on irishgenealogy but hopefully there's enough of handwriting to have a decent guess.

I can't make it out but if you don't have a subscription to IFHF, I could look it up for you. They might have something written in the notes. I know I've come across baptisms with sub-condition written in the notes. I was actually getting a bit excited for a moment because my ancestors are John Conneally and Margaret McDermott but then I saw her surname was just recorded as Conneally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Going out on a limb here …… Very hard to make it out – but some of the words look like ...Privatum baptisabat et certiorare publicam sub conditione et .... As a result I’d guess it was an adult baptism in private possibly following a conversion and it's a baptism of the ‘conditional’ variety (i.e. where there is doubt that the person had already been baptised.) Does that make sense to the life details of your man?
    Edit
    From a bit of Googling The two most frequent situations where you’ll encounter a conditional baptism are: 1. the case of an infant who had been baptized at home by a (Catholic) family member as an emergency measure (because the infant was gravely ill, and at risk of dying, and there was no priest around to perform the baptism); and 2. the case of an adult convert to Roman Catholicism who had previously been baptized by a Protestant clergyman.

Thanks all: it's a Dublin city baptism SRMF5 so it won't be on rootsireland.

I expect it to be a child and so the second option Pedro suggests is most likely. That's what I had in mind myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Not what you asked but the surname of John and Margaret looks like Cummiskey to me when I zoomed in.

It is Cummiskey.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 my_ancestors

Hi,

Any chance somebody could tell me what is written in the 4th column of this marriage cert for a John Dunphy (6th name down looks like dunfy), possibly great grandfather. We think his wife Margaret was protestant and wondering if it's a note to this fact, which might firm up identity.

registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000634137#page/136/mode/1up

Can't seem to paste image.

Thanks

Something militia.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Definition of militia. 1a : a part of the organized armed forces of a country liable to call only in emergency The militia was called to quell the riot. b : a body of citizens organized for military service. 2 : the whole body of able-bodied male citizens declared by law as being subject to call to military service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hi,

Any chance somebody could tell me what is written in the 4th column of this marriage cert for a John Dunphy (6th name down looks like dunfy), possibly great grandfather. We think his wife Margaret was protestant and wondering if it's a note to this fact, which might firm up identity.

registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000634137#page/136/mode/1up

Can't seem to paste image.

Thanks

I'm chancing that it might be 'Pte' for Private being his rank, but not really sure about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I can't see a John Dunphy on this page.... there is a note about Wexford Militia in the entry for what looks like Bartholomew Swift

LINK

John Dunphy [Dunfy] is the second last entry on the left.

Bartholomew Swift is on the previous page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13 my_ancestors

Folks thanks for that, had hoped might be reference to catholic/protestant marriage, didn't expect militia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fflynn

any idea what this is?

"not having his __"

(from findmypast petty sessions)

Do you have a link to that?
    It would help to see the rest of the image.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

fflynn wrote: »
    any idea what this is?

"not having his __"

(from findmypast petty sessions)

not having his car....

need to see the rest of the page

Advertisement