Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large bags and rucksacks banned from Croke Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,361 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

bruschi wrote: »

Those kind of nonsense arguments annoy me. Just because it can happen elsewhere

You seem to either be deliberately ignoring my point, or misunderstanding it.

A lot of damage can be caused outside croke park particularly as the crowds are exiting the venue along narrow streets. For example there is a very narrow laneway shortcut outside croke where an individual/group could do as much damage as they like after a game.
    It is a laneway that avoids all stewards checkpoints as it goes through a housing estate.
    Which renders the searches a waste of time.

I can understand the searches in airports because there is the potential of a bomb on a plane.

Whereas outside croke park there is a potential to cause as much damage if not greater by anyone insane enough/determined enough to try it.

Which makes the searches seem pointless. As another poster said it is only the GAA covering themselves from a legalistic and optical standpoint.

I remember after one all-ireland final there was a young junkie (small scrawny little fella) out of his mind going around randomly stabbing people, OUTSIDE the grounds of Croke park

Thankfully he only inflicted a superficial wound on one Dublin supporter from what I saw.

He ran away and I don't know what happened after that.

I seem to remember as he ran up Philipsburgh Avenue the gardai were informed by that stage.

That was only a minor incident as it turned out, but the sense of panic in the air was real.

What would a more focused and strategic person who planned such an attack be able to do?

Yeah it may well be annoying, but there are far more annoying things in Croke Park than not being able to bring a large bag in. You can still bring stuff in a smaller bag.

As I said in the previous post it is not that simple for some people who are not as forunate as others and need normal sized bags with straps to carry them
    and wheelchairs are not banned either. what is the story with muddying the waters over something that is not applicable. They have stated that there are exceptions to the bag rule and that you can contact them to sort these.

That is not 'muddying the water' as you so glibly put it.
    It is a genuine concern. Why are the exceptions to the bag rule not clearly publicised in that case?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

pilly wrote: »
    They have already said there will be exceptions for people with medical issues.

Q: Can I still bring a medical bag with me into Croke Park?

Please notify security at the gates in advance of being searched that you are carrying such items as bags may be searched on entry to the match. Further assistance from one of our team of special needs stewards may also be requested if needed. Please allow plenty of time to get into the stadium, and for match entry procedures, ticket checks and searches, we would advise arriving at the stadium at least 1 hour before throw-in.

howiya wrote: »
    Would you find it acceptable if they increased ticket prices to pay for metal detectors and extra security staff?

They are going to have metal detectors already it seems

(see below)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/backpack-ban-at-croke-park-to-beef-up-security-452930.html

The Mayo team will be safe anyway they won't have to be patted down no All-Ireland medals to set it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Where is this said by the way?

On their website.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They are going to have metal detectors already it seems

(see below)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/backpack-ban-at-croke-park-to-beef-up-security-452930.html

The Mayo team will be safe anyway they won't have to be patted down no All-Ireland medals to set it off.

Well what will be on the hill will be getting caught on the way in then..... :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

These scum deliberately target big events. Would be totally remiss of CP and Guards not to be taking precautions. Of course they might just drive a van into a crowd.

Anyway, we are safe presently because we have the Clonskeagh mosque and imbecile MEPs crying over that thing in Cairo.

On their website.

Yeah I found it edited my post above.

It seems bags are allowed in special circumstances but you have to be prepared for a bit of an extra wait, and a search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Jesus it's been said a ton of times here. If you've 3 kids with you then each kid can carry their own sandwiches and bottle of water, what's the problem?

I still don't understand why people can't go without food for a whole 3 hours !! Eat before, eat afterwards. It's not tooooooo complicated. :rolleyes:
    How are we to get -

The sandwiches.
    Drinks,
    Wipes,
    Suntan lotion.
    After sun.
    Raincoat.
    Pull=ups.
    Hat.
    Gloves.
    Scarf.

all into a A4 sized bag??
    For me it's about selling more food in Croke Park.

I doubt it very much, they already operate at pretty much full capacity as far as I can see. The queues are a mile long and I doubt that they'd want them any longer !!

I call BS on the number of occasions that you'd need all that gear anyway. If the weather is bad or threatening you can wear half of it. If the forecast is good you can leave it at home. Sun lotion and wipes can be put into small ziplock bags or swipe a few wipes that you get in restaurants etc - you'll hardly need the full packet or bottle.

TIP OF THE DAY: Aftersun does exactly what it says on the tin. You put it on afterwards so there should be zero need to bring it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yop wrote: »
    Well what will be on the hill will be getting caught on the way in then..... :rolleyes::D

Silver polish?

We seem to have a lot of that knocking around these days.

Comes in handy to sniff, when you're all out of glue. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Silver polish?

We seem to have a lot of that knocking around these days.

Comes in handy to sniff, when you're all out of glue. :D

Haha, I' knew you'd catch on ;)

Was only showing the nails on that comment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

You seem to either be deliberately ignoring my point, or misunderstanding it.

A lot of damage can be caused outside croke park

no i completely understand it. You say that it could happen outside. Yes it could. so does that mean they shouldnt bother trying to prevent it inside?
    As I said in the previous post it is not that simple for some people who are not as forunate as others and need normal sized bags with straps to carry them

as I said, and as you eventually realised, you can still do this.
    That is not 'muddying the water' as you so glibly put it.
    It is a genuine concern. Why are the exceptions to the bag rule not clearly publicised in that case?

again, you were the one failing to see the actual terms.

You can bring bags, talking about wheelchairs and other medical things is muddying the waters as there are provisions for that. They request to come an hour early. Surely that is not that much of an inconvenience, because if someone was that bad that they needed additional help or bags or whatever, then they would indeed be there early to avoid to crowds, so being an hour early if you need additional attention would be there regardless of bags in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,999 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

what exactly is an A4 sized bag ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

But they can't control it.
    Buses, trains, railway stations, bus stations, doctors surgeries,cinemas, pubs etc etc. Nowhere is safe actually if someone had a determination to attack people.
    As someone said even Croke Park despite the checks is not safe to someone wearing a suicide vest.
    I'm still convinced this is more about profit than safety.

if something did happen in croke park, people like you would be the first to out complaining about the lack of security checks.

as someone pointed out outside croke park, you dont have to eat or drink in it, plenty of food outlets on the way too and from croke park.

Croke park have said state you can your own drinks in, so whats your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Flukey wrote: »
    Peter McKenna of Croke Park, was on Morning Ireland trying to defend the policy. Let's put it this way: If he was playing in a match and defended like that, he'd have been taken off very quickly.

I really dislike that man. Every time I hear him it sounds like he considers Croke Park to be his personal plaything and he regards the supporters with contempt. I know this is total stereotyping but he sounds like a d4 rugby man who looks down his nose on common ga heads, as they like to call us

It was in place in the Aviva on Saturday, no fuss, people just didn't bring any.

Different demographic and timescale involved. You get a lot more families in Croke park, a lot more people from outside Dublin, it's usually a double header and there's a long culture of people bringing the sandwiches to gaa matches. Also you're more exposed to the elements in Croke Park

irishgeo wrote: »
    Multiple that by say 40000 and it does take a long time.

There's never been anything close to 40,000 people with bags in Croke Park even when it's full. I'd say 1,000 would be more like it. They've enough stewards to check that amount of bags. Like they did in Clones on Sunday with no delays

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PTH2009 wrote: »
    what exactly is an A4 sized bag ???
    It's embodiment of the GAA's and the Gardai's poorly-thought-out "solution", drawn up by busybodies who want to be seen to do something. I've yet to hear a proper measure of what is an "acceptable" bag size.

It's embodiment of the GAA's and the Gardai's poorly-thought-out "solution", drawn up by busybodies who want to be seen to do something. I've yet to hear a proper measure of what is an "acceptable" bag size.

How hard is this to understand?

http://www.gaa.ie/news/large-bags-backpacks-allowed-croke-park/

It is taken from the GAA's own website.
    Smaller bags (no bigger than A4 - 8.27in/21cm 11.7/ 29.7cm) will be permitted but may be subject to searches and patrons are urged not to bring bags at all where possible.

Short of someone from Croke Park coming over to your house and helping you to pack your tea, sambos, rain poncho & medications for you, it seems fairly self explanatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Short of someone from Croke Park coming over to your house and helping you to pack your tea, sambos, rain poncho & medications for you, it seems fairly self explanatory.

Fair play to them if they can get all that into one of these:

61UdG-VvTYL._SY355_.jpg

Ah here Flukes, I'd expect a Dub of your wit and intelligence, to be able to figure out that the bag is to be approximately A4 sized, but not as flat as an actual sheet of A4 paper, or an A4 plastic folder. C'mon now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ah here Flukes, I'd expect a Dub of your wit and intelligence, to be able to figure out that the bag is to be approximately A4 sized, but not as flat as an actual sheet of A4 paper, or an A4 plastic folder. C'mon now...

:D ... kin letting the side down ...

*afterthought* .. PD do ya know if those sports bottles of water are a no no ..?

No idea. I bring a regular bottle of water in with me....and I keep a spare cap tucked discreetly in my back pocket, in case the steward make me take the cap off before I go in. I always buy the same brand, so I always have a few empties lying around the car or house. I stash a few spares away, a day or so before game.

#BePrepared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

Don't think it will have much impact for a single game but could see the crowd for a double header drop as a lot of people travelling might skip the first match particularly if its a weaker game and head to lunch instead. Hope not.

In true culchie fashion, bringing sandwiches to Croke Park has been something that we've always done. It's nearly like a tradition since childhood! Will manage without :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭howiya

Don't think it will have much impact for a single game but could see the crowd for a double header drop as a lot of people travelling might skip the first match particularly if its a weaker game and head to lunch instead. Hope not.

In true culchie fashion, bringing sandwiches to Croke Park has been something that we've always done. It's nearly like a tradition since childhood! Will manage without :-)

Nobody's being asked to manage without. Just bring your sandwiches in a smaller bag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I know that and you know that, but the people imposing these crazy new restrictions have only given two dimensions on their message:
    small bags measuring no bigger than A4 (8.27in/21cm × 11.7/ 29.7cm)

In fact, the ones in my earlier picture would hold an A4 sheet inside them, so they are bigger than A4 and therefore too large. Seriously though, since they announced this, other than those measurements, they have given no indication whatsoever of what is acceptable. Given there is only two dimensions, maybe a bag 8 inches wide, 11 inches high and 6 foot long is acceptable. Who knows? They won't tell us. Throw in the flags and other items on their list and it is hard to know what to bring tomorrow. Whatever about banning flag poles, they don't even want selfie sticks! Looking around other online sources and people saying they've been on to Croke Park, there are contradictions.

I suppose this whole issue is a problem for those who do bring bags and not for those that don't. The people who are saying it is a great idea and it is about time they did this, probably never bring bags. I normally bring one, so I can't say I am happy about it. I have one of the Dublin GAA backpacks, which is great for match days, and that is specifically why I bought it a few years ago. What I wanted to bring was too much for a smaller bag. So I got this one adorned with my Dublin colours tied onto it, as you can see. It has seen many a day in Croke Park in the past few years, and other venues, but will it ever do so again? :confused:

In it I'd usually have 2 rain jackets if it was a wet day, one to wear and the other to put over my legs if it really starts peeing down. Funnily enough, one is a Dublin GAA one, and the smaller one is actually from Croke Park itself. Sure, I could just wear a rain jacket instead of bringing it in a bag, but it is nicer having it in a bag when it is still dry and it only starts coming down during the match. We've all seen that ripple through the crowd as people put their rain jackets on when the rain starts, many having them in bags with them. We Irish know how unpredictable the weather is, even when you are following weather reports and weather apps, so you don't want to be wearing it on a sweltering day, only to leave it at home and for it then to be a monsoon. So it is usually good to have one with you.

I'd of course bring the hang sandwiches and a drink, and a few other bits to eat to keep me going. The only thing I'd ever buy in Croke Park is a programme, so I'd always bring my own food and drink. I never buy food there. That is one of the lines of thought that many people have mentioned as being behind this, trying to sell more food. Other people are saying eat before you go, but it is a long day. It is a 2pm throw-in for the first match tomorrow. I always try to go for all of the games on a match day. I'll be leaving home before 1pm. Then there is the journey in and the two games, so it is the best part of 6pm before you are out. At that stage I'd be heading for a few pints. (Still the usual spot if you go there) I like to have a bit of stomach lining in place. That is best done during the afternoon, not before leaving home or just before you head into the pub. So the oul' sandwiches during the course of the afternoon is about the right time. I usually spread it out a bit, eating at the two half times and the break between the matches. I don't get hungry and the stomach is nicely lined and had time to settle in. So I can head straight to the pub, all ready for the evening. No hitting the chipper as thousands of people come out with the same idea.

I'd usually have a few other things in the bag, like a small video camera, a regular Dublin jacket and a few other bits and bobs. In winter, I might have a heavier top. Yes, I may not need every item, but it is handy to have the bag to carry them and to put in few other things into it, like my programme at the end of the day. I'd have a little Walkman with me to keep up to date with other fixtures, and with the match I am watching. Then there are the essentials like my wallet and phone. Sometimes I might slip those deep into the bag for safe keeping, rather than in a pocket where they could fall out or be picked from. OK, I don't always need all the items I bring, and sometimes the bag is a bit much to carry around, but having it is useful. Even if I didn't bring all of those things, I am still not going to get what I want into their two-dimensional A4 bag, or even one with a third dimension. A lot of people are going to find themselves in the same situation.

This is being handled very badly by the GAA. They should at least have an example of the kinds of bags they are going to accept, rather than just giving us the dimensions of an A4 sheet of paper. All week people have been asking "What is an A4 bag?" There are better approaches they could have taken to this. Neither Donegal nor Tyrone are playing this weekend. They could take their two blanket defences and put them around Croke Park. Us Dubs could find a way through, but no terrorist would! OK, that is a stupid idea, but so is banning back packs... and selfie sticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Backpacks and large bags are not allowed into Croke Park for matches, only small bags measuring no bigger than A4 (8.27in/21cm × 11.7/ 29.7cm) will be permitted into the stadium.

Ok so backpacks.... Bags with straps that can be put on the back are out. Large bags are out.
    A4 is in.

I think an A4 bag is just that, and I don't think they mean an A4 envelope.

21 cm by 29.7 cm seems to give us a bit of choice in the size of our allowed bag.

The bag can have an overall dimension of;

21cm by 29.7cm by 21cm or
    21cm by 29.7cm by 29.7 cm.

Presumably this is to allow the bag to fit through a scanner of some description in the future that has a maximum entry size of 21cm by 29.7cm.

A crafty person has already no doubt come up with the idea that it would be easy to zip 2, 3 or even 4 of these squarish bags together to form an adequately sized carry all for us sambo bearing fanatics.

Each section of the bag has its own handle and is easily unzipped before entry to croke and easily zipped back together after entering. There was no limit stated re bag numbers per person, even so the kids could carry in their own transformer section of the bag through customs.

Would be easy too to have removable straps to turn the zipped bags into a backpack full of wonderful and much needed match day stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

How hard is this to understand?

http://www.gaa.ie/news/large-bags-backpacks-allowed-croke-park/

It is taken from the GAA's own website

It's the dopiest thing I ever heard of, a paper size being used for the size of a bag. And well done folks for missing the point here, as I can see from the replies when someone else made a joke about it with the folder photo.

Never mind the size of the bag involved, some people will need to take more stuff with them than others. There's no flexibility or cop-on where families are concerned. That link you sent above mentions nothing about medical conditions, which other venues do mention at least.

Really, how hard is it to understand...

That link you sent above mentions nothing about medical conditions, which other venues do mention at least.

Medical bags are mentioned on the match day faq but it dosn't say that there is a size limit, but it has to be assumed that the medical bag size limit Is A4, but again no stated limit to the number of A4 bags, medical or otherwise.

https://crokepark.ie/match-day/faq
    Q: Can I still bring a medical bag with me into Croke Park?

Please notify security at the gates in advance of being searched that you are carrying such items as bags may be searched on entry to the match. Further assistance from one of our team of special needs stewards may also be requested if needed. Please allow plenty of time to get into the stadium, and for match entry procedures, ticket checks and searches, we would advise arriving at the stadium at least 1 hour before throw-in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Oldtree wrote:
    Ok so backpacks.... Bags with straps that can be put on the back are out. Large bags are out. A4 is in.

Exactly think Indiana Jones / Yop type brown leather stachel. Most likely you don't have one!

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Exactly think Indiana Jones / Yop type brown leather stachel. Most likely you don't have one!

That's so last century.... :)

We're waiting on a definitive third dimension (the length) from hq before we can be sure of what our latest fashion accessory will look like.

Advertisement