Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large bags and rucksacks banned from Croke Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    To be honest I welcome this.

Only point is they need to make sure people can get access to water if necessary.

Yours for only €3 a bottle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Don't think I've seen an A4 size backpack. My daughter has a fairly small backpack and it's still bigger than A4. Ludicrous.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Luggage/Oakland-A4-Size-Rucksack-Backpack-Bag/B00H1PW4DS

That's called A4 but it's slightly bigger than the dimensions allowed.

Jayop wrote: »
    Is putting on sun cream now something to be slagged over? It's the fking sun FFS.

Can folks not put it on before getting to CP. Ye aren't swimming there like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Luggage/Oakland-A4-Size-Rucksack-Backpack-Bag/B00H1PW4DS

Bag allowed is 30cm X 21cm. That bag is 45cm x 32cm. So it's way bigger. 50% bigger in both dimensions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

P_1 wrote: »
    Terrorists win not only by causing death or injury but also by changing our way of life. Frankly this new carry on is helping them achieve their aims more than a hundred bombings.

It's hardly changing your way of life not to carry a backpack.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »

This is a big win for them, extra camel on the pizza to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah it is now. People are likely not to attend events, not out of fear of terrorism but because of the sheer hassle of not being able to bring spare food, having to pay for it in the venue, not being able to pop somewhere after work and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Does Ricey have a manbag?

He does not, I would say.

P_1 wrote: »
    Ah it is now. People are likely not to attend events, not out of fear of terrorism but because of the sheer hassle of not being able to bring spare food, having to pay for it in the venue, not being able to pop somewhere after work and the like.

I don't believe that for a second. This rule has been in place for a number of events already, sold out. Croke Park is actually late to the table with this one.

People adapt to change. And if a real fan of any team/band/singer told them they wouldn't go to an event because they couldn't bring a backpack I wouldn't believe they were a fan.

It actually is though. This will do nothing to stop any would be attacker. But will cause many people to change their behaviour. It's just so the GAA are seen to be doing something.

• Advertisement

It actually is though. This will do nothing to stop any would be attacker. But will cause many people to change their behaviour. It's just so the GAA are seen to be doing something.

This is not just the GAA, is anyone reading my posts? It's widespread now everywhere. And the A4 size is being quoted by everyone so it must have come from the police.

We don't know if it will prevent attacks because we don't know how many attacks are prevented per year currently.

Whether we like to believe it or not the threat is ever present and attempts are foiled regularly that we don't hear anything about.

From my point of view I'd be a lot more comfortable in a stadium with my children if no-one is carrying a backpack than I would be if everyone was.

I don't believe that for a second. This rule has been in place for a number of events already, sold out. Croke Park is actually late to the table with this one.

People adapt to change. And if a real fan of any team/band/singer told them they wouldn't go to an event because they couldn't bring a backpack I wouldn't believe they were a fan.

Many people bring children to Croke Park and travel a long way to do so. There no two ways about it but having this bag restriction will impact people with kids. The extra cost to buy food and overall hassle involved now may make people think twice. Doesn't mean they're not real "fans".

Many people bring children to Croke Park and travel a long way to do so. There no two ways about it but having this bag restriction will impact people with kids. The extra cost to buy food and overall hassle involved now may make people think twice. Doesn't mean they're not real "fans".

Jesus it's been said a ton of times here. If you've 3 kids with you then each kid can carry their own sandwiches and bottle of water, what's the problem?

This is not just the GAA, is anyone reading my posts? It's widespread now everywhere. And the A4 size is being quoted by everyone so it must have come from the police.

We don't know if it will prevent attacks because we don't know how many attacks are prevented per year currently.

Whether we like to believe it or not the threat is ever present and attempts are foiled regularly that we don't hear anything about.

From my point of view I'd be a lot more comfortable in a stadium with my children if no-one is carrying a backpack than I would be if everyone was.

But it will do NOTHING to stop a would be attacker. If you think this makes you safe you're fooling yourself. And it isn't "widespread everywhere". Everywhere? You can go to matches in the UK with a back pack. Been in Wembley for NFL games with one no bother.

But it will do NOTHING to stop a would be attacker. If you think this makes you safe you're fooling yourself. And it isn't "widespread everywhere". Everywhere? You can go to matches in the UK with a back pack. Been in Wembley for NFL games with one no bother.

Someone else way back on the thread said that backpacks are not allowed at NFL games so there's contradictory accounts there.

Someone else way back on the thread said that backpacks are not allowed at NFL games so there's contradictory accounts there.

Well I've been to Wembley 7 times in the last decade including last year and no bother. Quick bag search and that's it. Anyone saying they're not allowed isn't telling the correct story.

I've been to Old Trafford a load of times and never seen anyone with a rucksack. Don't know if you're not allowed one but I never chanced it.

Well I've been to Wembley 7 times in the last decade including last year and no bother. Quick bag search and that's it. Anyone saying they're not allowed isn't telling the correct story.

Times have changed. Get used to it.

Times have changed. Get used to it.

Only in the GAA it seems.

I've been to Old Trafford a load of times and never seen anyone with a rucksack. Don't know if you're not allowed one but I never chanced it.

There's a difference between a rucksack and a backpack. Nobody is suggesting you can bring a rucksack with your camping gear in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jesus, you'd think we were living in the South of France, with the amount of people worried about getting sunburnt.. :rolleyes:

The GAA are missing a trick here by not having an official sunscreen provider...along with chungwans in bikinis giving away freebies on the day.

It's only a matter of time, before the Dubs get an Official Tanning Partner. I can see it now...big posters on Clonliffe Rd, of Diarmuid Connolly spritzing himself with the Factor 50, with the caption "Stay cool this summer." :D

If the GAA were at all cute about this, they would get a head of the posse.

There's a difference between a rucksack and a backpack. Nobody is suggesting you can bring a rucksack with your camping gear in.

I meant to say backpack I'd often use the words interchangeably even though I know they're different.

I just looked at Wembley and Old Trafford and you are still allowed to bring a small backpack with you. They don't define small other than at Old Trafford they say it must fit under your seat.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Jesus, you'd think we were living in the South of France, with the amount of people worried about getting sunburnt.. :rolleyes:

The GAA are missing a trick here by not having an official sunscreen provider...along with chungwans in bikinis giving away freebies on the day.

It's only a matter of time, before the Dubs get an Official Tanning Partner. I can see it now...big posters on Clonliffe Rd, of Diarmuid Connolly spritzing himself with the Factor 50, with the caption "Stay cool this summer." :D

If the GAA were at all cute about this, they would get a head of the posse.

Sun burn isn't a joke if you're at high risk of melanoma. That said you can still fit a tube of cream in your pocket or in your small back. It's more the change of clothes for after the much more likely downpour I'd be worried about having with me.

Only in the GAA it seems.

No, it's not only in the GAA, how many times do you have to told? You were in the UK last year, so what? That was last year.

I meant to say backpack I'd often use the words interchangeably even though I know they're different.

I just looked at Wembley and Old Trafford and you are still allowed to bring a small backpack with you. They don't define small other than at Old Trafford they say it must fit under your seat.

It's the normal backpak size. Roughly 45cm X 30cm or so. The GAAs new A4 standard seems to be fairly unique. Can't find anything on Amazon that fits the A4 size.

No, it's not only in the GAA, how many times do you have to told? You were in the UK last year, so what? That was last year.

And it hasn't changed. So tell me everywhere that has this A4 size? Remember you said "everywhere"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Gaa need to be on the ball here, releases croke park approved backpacks according to the new size allowed complete in county colours /count crest.

They will fly out the door , the tills will be ringing and I can bring my sambos and lucozade !

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Gaa need to be on the ball here, releases croke park approved backpacks according to the new size allowed complete in county colours /count crest.

They will fly out the door , the tills will be ringing and I can bring my sambos and lucozade !

Have no doubt O'Neills will be on it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How are we to get -

The sandwiches.
    Drinks,
    Wipes,
    Suntan lotion.
    After sun.
    Raincoat.
    Pull=ups.
    Hat.
    Gloves.
    Scarf.

all into a A4 sized bag??
    For me it's about selling more food in Croke Par.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don't agree, there was an incident in France where the device was detonated whilst the security guy was checking it.

So we want these guys to risk their lives and hours for the sake of a few sandwiches? Rubbish.

GAA fans seem to think they're above all this kind of security. It happens for every major gig anywhere, people will have to get used to it.

Either that or queue for a couple of hours just to get into the stadium.

Where in France was this???

Advertisement