Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Pints?

• 16-06-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hello all,

Can anyone shed some light on why pints have gone up over the last week or so?. My local is right beside a major park in Dublin where they regularly hold concerts (longtitude etc). The price for a pint of lager has gone up to ?5.70, ?5.80 for Bulmers and its now ?5.15 for Guinness. They have stuck 20c on all pints. Pissed off tbh, nothing in the budget regarding it. Thinking of relocating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe increasing in advance of longitude. Many pubs have facebook pages, you could ask there, maybe post a picture of their 16 item price list publically so others can see too.

What pub is it? there are plenty of threads mentioning prices of beers in pubs, it's not like its against the rules or slander, they have to have some prices publicly displayed by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

They hike up in advance of festival, same as a rugby match. Should they just do it on the day they get lambasted on social media

Should they just do it on the day they get lambasted on social media
    exactly, and why they should be lambasted now, even moreso...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Its a monopoly, with publicans complicit .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mankyspuds wrote: »
    Hello all,

Can anyone shed some light on why pints have gone up over the last week or so?. My local is right beside a major park in Dublin where they regularly hold concerts (longtitude etc). The price for a pint of lager has gone up to ?5.70, ?5.80 for Bulmers and its now ?5.15 for Guinness. They have stuck 20c on all pints. Pissed off tbh, nothing in the budget regarding it. Thinking of relocating.

You need to join the GAA club located beside the same location, cheaper pints there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

rubadub wrote: »

What pub is it?

There is only one pub outside said park. Apart from that, its 20 minutes walk to the next pub.

The Eden is a very local pub dependent on locals for trade. It's hard to believe that they have any passing trade ( apart from Longitude).

Longitude is only 3 days and they are open for 363 days of the year. The locals probably avoid the place like the plague that weekend, so I doubt if it makes a massive difference to their annual turnover.

Maybe they just raised the prices.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was in a pub in the city centre and was shocked when I got a round in and it was €6 pet pint. I was drinking Galway Hooker so I expected that to be a bit dearer, but €6 for macro lagers was clearly extracting yellow liquid of a (slightly) different sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

huskerdu wrote: »
    There is only one pub outside said park. Apart from that, its 20 minutes walk to the next pub.

The Eden is a very local pub dependent on locals for trade. It's hard to believe that they have any passing trade ( apart from Longitude).

Longitude is only 3 days and they are open for 363 days of the year. The locals probably avoid the place like the plague that weekend, so I doubt if it makes a massive difference to their annual turnover.

Maybe they just raised the prices.

I just thought 20c on all pints was very excessive, 4% on lager & cider and 4.5% on stout. I have heard since posting that Diageo put their prices up and most pubs put their prices up 10c around rathfarnham. Maybe it was just a little greedy sticking on the extra 10c for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Its crazy isn't it, €5.70 for a pint of lager?

I share the same locals as you OP and I hardly ever go into them, drinking in pubs has simply become far too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe increasing in advance of longitude. Many pubs have facebook pages, you could there?

What pub is it?

I have messaged them on FB but no reply as yet. The pub is The Eden House. If I find out its Longtitude Festival hike I'll never spend another penny in the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pubs in Derry put their prices up during the fleadh a few years ago and there excuse was they needed to hire more staff because of how busy they were. The head of the local vinters actually went on the radio and said that with a straight face. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, they were nearly all at it so there was no way of voting with my feet afterwards.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

irish_goat wrote: »
    Pubs in Derry put their prices up during the fleadh a few years ago and there excuse was they needed to hire more staff because of how busy they were. The head of the local vinters actually went on the radio and said that with a straight face. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, they were nearly all at it so there was no way of voting with my feet afterwards.

Surely the extra booze they sold would have covered the cost of the extra staff? Did they lower the prices back to their previous level afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zaph wrote: »
    Surely the extra booze they sold would have covered the cost of the extra staff?

That was goats point, talking pure sh?te.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah, they were absolutely bunged that whole week and made a killing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've noticed increases basically across the board in Dublin in the past 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

81oC5pYhh2L._SX425_.jpg

Mankyspuds wrote: »
    I have messaged them on FB but no reply as yet. The pub is The Eden House. If I find out its Longtitude Festival hike I'll never spend another penny in the place.
    A private message will possibly be ignored (if it was private). They have posts up themselves and you can reply to them, this could lead to more people asking the same thing, and lots of "likes" in support of your comments/question, harder to ignore, or if ignored it can be presumed what they would answer if truthful.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    If they were honest about it I would have far less issue. They are maximising profits, its the idea of them jacking up the price in advance to avoid it looking like a rise to cash in which would bother me a lot. Hotels will jack up the price if a big gig is happening in any city, you do not hear of them jacking it up weeks in advance so it will not be reported in the media.

As someone else asked, I wonder if eden house have ever reduced the price afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Pubs are a rip although only a few months ago I got a pint of Guinness for 4 euro in a pub in Sneem in Kerry. Great pint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pubs are a rip although only a few months ago I got a pint of Guinness for 4 euro in a pub in Sneem in Kerry. Great pint too.

4 euro in most of Dundalk too and lovely pints of frothy Tuberg for 3.50.
    Dublin is a complete rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Rural pubs don't have the same costs - my local went to €4.10 a couple of weeks ago

They don't have union pay rates to pay, they don't require door security, they don't require late licences and the extra pay for working after 12.

Usually the owner is behind the bar and it never needed a 500k refit - a lick of paint is considered a "renovation"

You get some pubs like that in Dublin, but people prefer the fancy pubs. In Rathfarnham you used to have the Tuning Fork - lovely traditional pub, decent prices, almost always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Digeao did put up their prices last week, but by about 4c a pint. 10 cent would be enough to keep the margins for the publicans but most are going 15 or 20 while they have the opportunity to pass the blame.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Digeao did put up their prices last week, but by about 4c a pint. 10 cent would be enough to keep the margins for the publicans but most are going 15 or 20 while they have the opportunity to pass the blame.

Was before that that I noticed the ramping; however I'm now prepped to expect more.

Change out of a tenner for two macro lagers is becoming extremely rare even in the areas that you'd expect to be cheaper than the city centre. Change out of 12 for the same in the city centre is dwindling!

Bar - not lounge - prices in a cheaper pub in Maynooth broke 4.50 for the first time since the boom recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

?4.40 for a Guinness in my local , but what I do notice lately is that the can of Guinness is not filling my pint glass to the full like it used to.

You can still buy 4 cans Guinness for ?7.50 , but it seems to me that the amount of liquid has been reduced . This could have been decided instead of increasing the cost per can .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Doubt it. Unless you got cans that are meant for the UK market which may be 440ml instead of 500.
    More likely your last ones were less gassy so the head would be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It's the same gouging with hotel prices. Book a room anywhere in Dublin when there is no concerts/sports/other events on and you'll get it cheap. Some big act or game on - prices treble or quadruple. But just think of the money Dublin would have made if the Gareth Brooks concerts went ahead!!

My local (middle of nowhere in Donegal): Pints - €3.80 (Carling is €3.20)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Blut2

I hate that even Guinness is well over 5eur in most places in the city these days. Means you have to pay with a 20eur note if you want to get two pints, and usually just get back a heap of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Blut2 wrote: »
    I hate that even Guinness is well over 5eur in most places in the city these days. Means you have to pay with a 20eur note if you want to get two pints, and usually just get back a heap of change.

Glimmerman and Kavanaghs on Manor street are 4.20 approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

?4.40 for a Guinness in my local , but what I do notice lately is that the can of Guinness is not filling my pint glass to the full like it used to.

You can still buy 4 cans Guinness for ?7.50 , but it seems to me that the amount of liquid has been reduced . This could have been decided instead of increasing the cost per can .

That's physics for you. A pint is 568ml whereas a can of stout is just 500ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Herself brothers a barman,saying there is 20c extra gone on each pint

Three of us drinking in the house the other night,give or take two twenty boxes of Coors light.
    46 euro(centra and SuperValu,saying usually cheaper) compared to 200 in a pub

Its no wonder people drink at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Do prices still go up after a certain time now?

Advertisement