Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Fire and Aftermath RIP

Options

Comments

It's possible this fire looks worse than it is. It may be the outer cladding with some internal areas ok.
    Hopefully. To my (again, untrained) eye an hour or so ago the bits of flame that kept popping up seemed to be coming from well inside the building and spreading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not for the little canisters and they will hold up in conditions of getting out. If your body will make it out so will one of those.
    Your problem is not the canister; it's the oxygen, which is highly flammable.

Breathing apparatus normally works on compressed air, not oxygen, which removes the risk of explosion. But the problem in a fire is not so much lack of air as presence of fumes which will overcome you. So what breathing apparatus requires is not only a supply of compressed air but a hood or other delivery system which is airtight, elminates contaminated air from the immediate environment, but does not impede visibility. And, as I say, even if this is available, you need training in how to deploy and use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Known as an ELSA set (Emergency Life Support Apparatus), designed for just such emergencies in industrial and maritime situations. Expensive to buy and needs maintaining, so not something that would normally be found in a tower block.

https://www.scottsafety.com/en/anz/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?productdetail=Scott+Safety+ELSA+Constant+Flow+Escape+Breathing+Apparatus

http://www.spareair.com/
    This one not as fancy but would get clean air into you and hopefully aid in escape.

Well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Fire Engineer here.

Private residential buildings almost always have a 'stay put' evacuation strategy, i.e. alarms are not interlinked. The intention of this is that you won't have to evacuate the whole building whenever someone burns toast. To compensate for this, all apartments are generally separated by walls and floors achieving 60 minutes fire resistance. So in the event of a fire, residents stay in their apartment (which is essentially a fire proof box, if built correctly), until the fire brigade arrive (6 minutes in this case). Only people in the fire affected apartment evacuate initially.

Obviously don't know enough to comment on the cause of the fire and how it spread, but my gut feeling is the combustible cladding is to blame. Apparently remedial gas works were also carried out recently.

I heard an interview with a guy who worked as a local authority surveyor all round the London area for 30yrs.

He seemed to be suggesting that new work like cladding on these old buildings should be backed up by cavity fire breaks(?).

Something interesting he said was that in the mid 90s that the responsibility for signing off on new work was handed over to the private sector . Previously, nothing got signed off until the local authority officers were satisfied.

It's just been reported that a new school build nearby was causing concern for local residents and that part of the sweetner deal for residents was the Cladding that would make their own building look better.

The new school also has similar cladding, but my guess is that the school building also has modern fire safety requirements that a 1975 tower block would not have.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Your problem is not the canister; it's the oxygen, which is highly flammable.

Breathing apparatus normally works on compressed air, not oxygen, which removes the risk of explosion. But the problem in a fire is not so much lack of air as presence of fumes which will overcome you. So what breathing apparatus requires is not only a supply of compressed air but a hood or other delivery system which is airtight, elminates contaminated air from the immediate environment, but does not impede visibility. And, as I say, even if this is available, you need training in how to deploy and use it.

Its not that hard to seal lips around and breath through your mouth there are so many different types.

If I were told get out and there was smoke everywhere I would rather it then not have it at all.

I believe it would be a vital tool and would give better chances.

Hopeful never needed but anything to improve on chances.

• Advertisement

Another option is there should be escape route to the roof for evacuation by helicopters.
    Evacuation by helicopter is not really feasible until the fire has burned down. The building is like a giant candle, with a rising column of hot turbulent toxic gases and dense smoke above it. This is not a safe environment for helicopters to operate in - or, indeed, for people to wait for rescue in.

Plus, a building with 120 flats might have four or five hundred people in it. A helicopter can take three, possibly four. It would take a fleet of many helicopters many hours to complete an airlift of that many people, even if it were safe to attempt one.

Its not that hard to seal lips around and breath through your mouth there are so many different types.

If I were told get out and there was smoke everywhere I would rather it then not have it at all.

I believe it would be a vital tool and would give better chances.

Hopeful never needed but anything to improve on chances.
    Put it this way; nobody actually uses or recommends these for fire evacuations. I think providing them would only give a false sense of security, and might encourage people to leave when, in fact, they are generally safer if they stay put. They're for use underwater where there is no air, but the problem in a fire is not no air. (Indeed, if there were no air, the fire would go out.) The problem is the presence of smoke and fumes, and this apparatus offers no protection against these.

Evacuation by helicopter is not really feasible until the fire has burned down. The building is like a giant candle, with a rising column of hot turbulent toxic gases and dense smoke above it. This is not a safe environment for helicopters to operate in - or, indeed, for people to wait for rescue in.

Plus, a building with 120 flats might have four or five hundred people in it. A helicopter can take three, possibly four. It would take a fleet of many helicopters many hours to complete an airlift of that many people, even if it were safe to attempt one.

Air sea rescue can take plenty more and can use a winch I wouldn't have meant landing as that would be no go.

Certain conditions could work and also smoke vents like in tunnels to carry away the smoke.

Put it this way; nobody actually uses or recommends these for fire evacuations. I think providing them would only give a false sense of security, and might encourage people to leave when, in fact, they are generally safer if they stay put. They're for use underwater where there is no air, but the problem in a fire is not no air. (Indeed, if there were no air, the fire would go out.) The problem is the presence of smoke and fumes, and this apparatus offers no protection against these.

Of course it will because one wouldn't be breathing in the toxins or carbon monoxide.

Its not ideal I agree but if it was a matter of get out and hall and stairs have smoke then breathing in those conditions will be extremely difficult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

I hope all our buildings are safe!

• Advertisement

I hope all our buildings are safe!

Funny enough the older stock would be better built to anything been built up to recent enough.

Boom time was just build build build. No checks and sign off on your own build and look where it got us.

It should never have changed from state hands.

State inspectors should oversee all new builds especially apartment's.

Of course it will because one wouldn't be breathing in the toxins or carbon monoxide.
    One would, unless there's more than a simple mouthpiece.

The minimium that's needed is something that covers both the mouth and nose, provides an airtight seal around them, and is securely strapped on the head so that maintaining the seal doesn't depend on the user holding or manipulating the apparatus properly. The compressed air container has to be strapped on as well; otherwise the weight of it will pull the mask away from your face if you drop it.

Think of the kind of breathing apparatus you think of as being issued to soldiers at risk of gas attack. Something that looks like this. Anything less than that is of minimal value, and will only give people a false impression of safety that isn't really provided. Provide those hand-held canisters designed as a backup for scuba divers, and you'll just end up being sued or prosecuted for providing sub-standard equipment.

It's not essential that the apparatus should also protect the eyes, but they nearly always do, because once you get to that point extending the mask to cover the eyes also doesn't greatly add to the expense or difficulty of use, and fire fumes irritate the eyes as well as the respiratory tract, so limiting vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Doesn't bear thinking about being caught up in something like that. :-(

Air sea rescue can take plenty more and can use a winch I wouldn't have meant landing as that would be no go.

Certain conditions could work and also smoke vents like in tunnels to carry away the smoke.
    The problem is that the helicopters can't land; its that they can't (safely) fly above the building, and they certainly can't hover to use a winch. The column of smoke and rising hot gases extends for at least the height of the building again.

Smoke vents can only carry smoke and gases to the side of the building, but after that they just travel upwards (because they're hot air, basically).

When the World Trade Centre was struck, hundreds of people went to the decks on the top of the buildings, hoping for helicopter rescue. It never came, because helicopter rescue from above a burning building is impossible. Those who hadn't already succumbed to fumes and smoke or jumped to escape them died when the buildings collapsed.

There is a technique for horizontal rescue by helicopter which involves the helicopter hovering beside, rather than above, the stricken building/vessel. It requires specially equipped helicopters and it's extremely difficult. It's not a realistic option for rescuing people from a burning building in an urban environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,696 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

10 million refurbishment to make the building look prettier but they never replaced the elevators which would cost 60K. They were constantly breaking down according to residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They're going up on a crane basket now to fight it head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'll never understand why the fire service are so underpaid.

josip wrote: »
    I can't imagine if i would be able to do that.

They risk their own lives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It's the same reason the nurses are underpaid, it's a calling and they feel it's their duty to do their job and unfortunately the politicians take advantage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

They risk their own lives!

Every time, potentially, even when it seems simple enough job. And there is the mental health aspect. They see some very traumatic things.

gandalf wrote: »
    It's the same reason the nurses are underpaid, it's a calling and they feel it's their duty to do their job and unfortunately the politicians take advantage of this.
    It's a bit of everything really. They can go ages without doing a whole lot until a major incident. It's like with police, I'd have them all trained to the highest standard and if they have to be paid to do **** all most of the time then so be it, once they can step up when ready. Unfortunately many people think that since most of the time they're not doing "important" stuff they shouldn't be paid highly all the time.

It's hard to support yourself in these professions though. My cousin is a paramedic. He has had second gig at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

I can't imagine if i would be able to do that.

It's an awful taught and one I wish I'll never have to face.

I was living in a complex last year when the bottom floor apartment went up in flames. Thankfully the building was up to standards. Full fire doors, a smoke chimney and linked alarms which all kicked in immediately.

Building was safe to evacuate immediately due to the lock down of the fire doors and the chimney in place to remove the smoke. Fire trucks on scene in 6mins and took control. Thanks to the safety standards in place the fire was contained to the one apartment, which was destroyed, but nobody was hurt.

We had a 4 week old baby at the time and nothing will describe the initial fear when you smell the smoke and the alarms are blaring at 1am. I was so thankful that the building was up to scratch. Plenty of young kids and families in my block.

What's happened in London over night is a horrendous tragedy and my heart goes out to all involved and to the heroic firefighers tackling the blaze. These people are truly hero's.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

tiger55 wrote: »
    I have lived in high flats.  They are just concrete in the stairwells  Not even a carpet.
    They tend to be older flats. It's more expensive. But it acts as a cheap fire protectant. The thing is the opposite is true in winter....as in it gets VERY cold. So people freeze or have fire risk. You have to insulate a tower block to be able to heat it properly.

In the old flats even with the heat on people would die sometimes of cold.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/heating-was-working-in-flat-where-woman-died-of-cold-says-council-1.581608

This woman died of hypothermia...the heating was working though ..so people didn't get it ..but it's the old style block of flats extensive concrete ..which has one good thing it's a fire protectant ..

The bad side is it will make a block of flats freezing even when heated ...so they started to use insulation or diff design and material....some i guess might be more flammable.

I had 2 flat fires in high flats in my old place, one was even on my landing.  Drunks/Junkies to blame.

Glad your baby was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

People have been warning about this for years (in this block):

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-fire/

tiger55 wrote: »
    I had 2 flat fires in my high flats in my old place, one was even on my landing. Drunks/Junkies to blame.
    It's difficult to police or moniter landings and stairs too...they rarely have CCTV they know where they won't be seen.

• Advertisement

I don't buy this it's just one of those things....buildings don't just catch fire...it's not the X files.

Advertisement