Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Using it in San Francisco. Not great connections here. Barely get 3g. Sometimes hardly useable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

12gb three SIM update:

Daughter using it in Florida currently. Only thing she had to do was change the APN settings (three.co.uk) to enable internet access. Can receive calls and texts too. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just got my sim today and put it in my phone. Is all I have to do is set up an account on the 3 UK site and I'm good to go? Heading to Germany on Friday so just want to make sure I have it all working when I get there. Is there anyway to check your data usage on this sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Just got my sim today and put it in my phone. Is all I have to do is set up an account on the 3 UK site and I'm good to go? Heading to Germany on Friday so just want to make sure I have it all working when I get there. Is there anyway to check your data usage on this sim?

Yes log on to Three.co.uk and setup a new account with the number on the SIM, you will get a verification text to the number with confirmation code to login with and then it's setup, you can then check your balance when you login, seems pretty accurate.

You can topup too on the account but it's a lot cheaper to just buy a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

My daughter used it in Germany last month,didn't set up an account, just put sim in here to make sure it worked,it automatically setup the correct APN .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

wiz569 wrote: »
    My daughter used it in Germany last month,didn't set up an account, just put sim in here to make sure it worked,it automatically setup the correct APN .
    Same here (worked fine in Dublin) but APN had to be manually changed once she hit Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

dodzy wrote: »
    Same here (worked fine in Dublin) but APN had to be manually changed once she hit Florida.

Yeah I think she had to actually change to the correct APN,but initially when the sim was put into the phone it created the APN itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Just to add to the Three Sim Card, did great for us in Macau and Hong Kong recently. It seems to be a valuable piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

How does it fair with Whatsapp? If it's a data only sim you won't have your original sim int he phone with your number for Whatsapp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Yes log on to Three.co.uk and setup a new account with the number on the SIM, you will get a verification text to the number with confirmation code to login with and then it's setup, you can then check your balance when you login, seems pretty accurate.

You can topup too on the account but it's a lot cheaper to just buy a new card.
    Thanks for that. Have it all set up on the my3 site. Hopefully I won't have to start messing with APN's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Duff wrote: »
    How does it fair with Whatsapp? If it's a data only sim you won't have your original sim int he phone with your number for Whatsapp?

When you put the three sim in, whatsapp will ask you if you want to keep your existing number or change to the new sims number. Obviously tell it to keep using your Irish number and then it works perfectly.

M

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Have it all set up on the my3 site. Hopefully I won't have to start messing with APN's.

Yes stick it in the phone now as Ireland would also be roaming, if it works here it should also work fine in whatever other roaming country you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

finbarrk wrote: »

I once got a bill from Vodafone for €960 for data use in the US!

Though after many days of stress they admitted they made a mistake and agreed to clear it. However ever since then I switched to pay as you go so that it can't happen again and it is why I sue services like this three UK sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Any possibility of tethering in USA with 3 UK sim? How about with jailbreak app MyWi?

M

Ro-76 wrote: »
    Any possibility of tethering in USA with 3 UK sim? How about with jailbreak app MyWi?

Tethering is not allowed on it, I presume they have a system in place with the host provider to police this but you never know.
    You can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Tethering is not allowed on it, I presume they have a system in place with the host provider to police this but you never know.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home

Thanks for the reply. I had seen that but wondered if anyone had tested it to see if they enforce it.

M

Thanks for the reply. I had seen that but wondered if anyone had tested it to see if they enforce it.

Yes I don't know how much data the host provider would provide back to Three, I suppose you could always risk it.

Great news, it looks like Three UK are adding yet more countries to their Feel At Home plan (just got the email now), they are adding:

Brazil, Singapore, Aland Islands, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, R?union, Saint Barth?lemy, Saint Martin, San Marino.

Obviously the big ones there is Brazil and Singapore, this is in addition to the likes of USA, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, etc.

Also if you have a SIM from them that includes free calls and texts, they now allow you to call Ireland for free while anywhere in Europe, per the new EU rules, though obviously your number will come up as a UK one.

Very handy SIM to have for world travellers, hopefully they will continue to add countries to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Ordered a free sim from 3 using parcel motel a couple of weeks ago. Topped it up and used it in NY this week with no issues. Was fantastic for maps, Uber and staying in touch.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, will be hanging onto it for future travel :D

FYI tethering worked fine for me with no workaround, but I only used it for two other phones that were travelling with me. May be blocked on a laptop unless you switch the user agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 One Question

Hi,
    I'm asking a colleague get me a 3UK SIM with 12 GB for 20 Sterling.
    I plan on putting in my unlocked iPhone 4S and bringing to States this month for data mainly, and hopefully letting my kids sponge (tether) off the data.

I'm encouraged by last post!

Can anyone see a problem with this plan?
    I assume I get a new uk mobile number with this plan, is that right?

Cheers

Also, has anyone used this, or heard anything good/bad about them. Saw it on Amazon.
    GigSky Data SIM Card with 4G LTE / 3G 100MB Mobile Data Plan to Use in USA, UK, Europe, Asia (90+ Countries)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GigSky-100MB-Mobile-Europe-Countries/dp/B01CN75FZC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1497006832&sr=8-20-spons&keywords=three+uk+sim+card&psc=1
    Thanks again

Also, has anyone used this, or heard anything good/bad about them. Saw it on Amazon.
    GigSky Data SIM Card with 4G LTE / 3G 100MB Mobile Data Plan to Use in USA, UK, Europe, Asia (90+ Countries)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GigSky-100MB-Mobile-Europe-Countries/dp/B01CN75FZC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1497006832&sr=8-20-spons&keywords=three+uk+sim+card&psc=1
    Thanks again

I'm not sure why you would bother with that, seems extremely expensive compared to the 3 UK SIM. Only advantage is if you were heading to a country not covered by the 3 UK SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

finbarrk wrote: »

1.5gb in 40min

I reckon the daughter is telling fibs, but even at that, eir should not have allowed it go over €500 without some notification

bk wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you would bother with that, seems extremely expensive compared to the 3 UK SIM. Only advantage is if you were heading to a country not covered by the 3 UK SIM.

I was looking at Gigsky as an option because it's only 10 pounds for 100GB data

CeilingFly wrote: »
    1.5gb in 40min

I reckon the daughter is telling fibs, but even at that, eir should not have allowed it go over €500 without some notification

I would certainly expect that +5000 would never be paid! No justification for that ridiculous amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

100 megabytes, not giga according to the page

100MB NOT GB, that is nothing, you would use that in a day or two of just whatsapp and a little web.

€25 for 12GB is 120 times more data then that!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Going to the States in August and doing my homework..

Reading this thread, it seems people have varying success with three at home or local SIM card. I see quite a few people are mentioning speed issues.
    Can it be this is related to people having devices that don't support 4G LTE bands and therefore by default get 3G speeds ?

I am trying to figure out if I have any device that will work in US.
    I have Mifi Vodafone R215 which will most likely not work on 4G. I have a Huawei P9 lite that probably also won't do 4G and then an old HTC M8 where I am not sure whether it will work or not.
    The specs online say the US frequencies are supported, but I am wondering whether there are mutliple versions of this phone, if not , it seems to support almost every frequency worldwide...and if something seems to be too good to be true.....

Anyone that can definitely say which devices work on 4G in US ? By that I mean personal experience of the device in the US.

• Advertisement
    M

Going to the States in August and doing my homework..

Reading this thread, it seems people have varying success with three at home or local SIM card. I see quite a few people are mentioning speed issues.
    Can it be this is related to people having devices that don't support 4G LTE bands and therefore by default get 3G speeds ?

I am trying to figure out if I have any device that will work in US.
    I have Mifi Vodafone R215 which will most likely not work on 4G. I have a Huawei P9 lite that probably also won't do 4G and then an old HTC M8 where I am not sure whether it will work or not.
    The specs online say the US frequencies are supported, but I am wondering whether there are mutliple versions of this phone, if not , it seems to support almost every frequency worldwide...and if something seems to be too good to be true.....

Anyone that can definitely say which devices work on 4G in US ? By that I mean personal experience of the device in the US.

This is a good site to see what networks your phone work on in various countries...
    http://willmyphonework.net/

Advertisement