Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

giving up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Unkel you might be interested in the info on this thread http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/101918870

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

I finally took the plunge and got an iPhone. I'm very happy with it so far. No going back to Windows phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I've had a number of windows phones over the years and have always liked the OS, however, due to lack of apps I have had to move back to Android

I've decided to give Windows one last chance and I have just ordered a Lumia 950 xl, the hardware is great for the price and the OS seems to be quite stable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The 950XL is an incredible phone for the money (paid €279 for mine last year), but I admit I held on to my Android phone as a device for running some apps that aren't available on Windows phone. OS is fine these days, I'm on the fast loop too and no problems.

I have an iPad mini now that does me for all the apps that don't have a Windows version, which solves the whole conundrum for me. That means my Lumia 950XL happily chugs along as my messenger, phone, pocket camera, and music device. That's all I really want from a phone these days tbh.

Sidenote - I was surprised by the fact that iOS has plenty of those ****ty apps I used to think were a Windows issue (RTE Player and MyHome.ie I'm looking your way), also surprised by how much I prefer the Windows version of Facebook Messenger - the iOS one is a mess of irrelevant features, the Windows one is just a pure and simple Messenger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭smallgarden

My lumia 520 is still going but getting very temperamental of late

My lumia 520 is still going but getting very temperamental of late

It's about 5 years old and cost you, what, €50 when new?

It owes you nothing :p

Ironically too, that €50 phone can run the latest versions of Windows 10. Try that with an iDevice or an Android ;)

Indeed. And I don't think there was ever an iPhone for even €500, let alone for €50 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In fairness w10 runs terrible on the 520. Which is why its no longer on the update list Mine is used as a mp3 and media player for the kids.

It's a bit buggy tbh. Though it doesn't fill up with updates and bloatware like an Android phone would have. Which makes it still usable.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Though it doesn't fill up with updates and bloatware like an Android phone would have. Which makes it still usable.

Heh, well you don't have to worry about Android phones filling up with updates after a while ;)

Unfortunately you do. It might not update the OS. But all the bloat and apps constantly update.. which is why an old android phone with limited internal memory is unusable.

Windows phone is light years ahead of Android and IOS in memory management when it comes to this kina stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Around 3 million Americans still hanging on to their Windows Phones
    There was a time when Windows Phones held around 45% market share in USA. That was obviously a long time ago, and since Comscore stopped publishing their numbers in April last year it has been difficult to know just how many Windows Phones were still in use in the USA.
    Now in a surprise data drop Comscore has published a new update on the US smartphone installed base, and it is no surprise that the number of Windows Phone users have dropped dramatically since last year.

https://mspoweruser.com/around-3-million-americans-still-hanging-windows-phones/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm giving up too. OH has already given up and we have been using WP since 520. I have a 640XL but I had to downgrade to W8 as W10 was full of issues, bluetooth kept disconnecting, battery life was crap etc. I also kep getting the dreaded outlook error so some things don't sync, the only solution is to reset the phone which is a pain.
    The final nail for me was facebook messenger app no longer supported (and no longer working) on w8.
    Android, here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

TheDriver wrote: »
    Android, here we come.

I dislike android but to be fair it's a lot better than it was when WP8 was rocking!

I'm giving up too. OH has already given up and we have been using WP since 520. I have a 640XL but I had to downgrade to W8 as W10 was full of issues, bluetooth kept disconnecting, battery life was crap etc. I also kep getting the dreaded outlook error so some things don't sync, the only solution is to reset the phone which is a pain.

:eek:

You on the fast insider ring? Probably not. My 950XL has been pretty good I have to say. Everybody around me knows my phone (€279) takes the best pictures even compared to their own €1000+ phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

My 640XL won't upgrade to wp10 at all. Just gives me error after error after error. I gave up and still on wp8 too

Don't bother with w10 on xl, nothing but trouble. My work 640 works well on w10 though.
    I tried fast insider but didn't do me any favours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

unkel wrote: »
    Everybody around me knows my phone (€279) takes the best pictures even compared to their own €1000+ phones.

For me the camera on my 950 is a major reason I'm sticking with the windows phone.
    However... Sony has an even higher res camera so I'm almost ready to abandon windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Don't bother with w10 on xl, nothing but trouble. My work 640 works well on w10 though.
    I tried fast insider but didn't do me any favours

I know a few in MS and they say the same thing! don't bother.

The thing that is annoying me though is that support for apps on WP8 is dropping like flies. So its basically a surf the web phablet.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    For me the camera on my 950 is a major reason I'm sticking with the windows phone.
    However... Sony has an even higher res camera so I'm almost ready to abandon windows.

Which Sony has the higher res camera? Might look into it.

I did get a Redmi Note 4 Pro - however the camera is appalling - better on my 1mp Nokia brick from years back. So I am reluctant to change over to using it full time.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of trying the oukitel k6000 plus instead. Was the camera that bad on the note as specs looked very good? My 640xl is slow at grabbing photos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Indeed. And I don't think there was ever an iPhone for even €500, let alone for €50 :)

Bit late replying but my first iphone was around 300 euro (very first generation). Although unlocking it was a bit of a chore :)

Broke the screen in my 950XL. Can repair it myself but the part is not cheap (€130) and has to come from the far east

So..

..I've given up too. Maybe if we ever get a surface phone (x86) will I return. But for now I've switched to a Samsung S7 (and installed a custom ROM as you do :D)

Broke the screen in my 950XL. Can repair it myself but the part is not cheap (€130) and has to come from the far east

So..

..I've given up too. Maybe if we ever get a surface phone (x86) will I return. But for now I've switched to a Samsung S7 (and installed a custom ROM as you do :D)

Seems like we'll be waiting til 2018 anyway, but there has been quite a bit of talk this week of MS apparently working on a brand new mobile OS, one that'll ditch Silverlight compatibility, be based on CShell, be able to run real desktop apps via Continuum.p, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Rate of decline in Windows phone seems to have stabilised, and is now flat. Increase likely in Q2 2017 figures virtually certain I would say.

http://www.gsmarena.com/idc_windows_phone_falls_to_01_market_share_android_up_to_85_in_q1_this_year-news-26255.php

Rate of decline in Windows phone seems to have stabilised, and is now flat. Increase likely in Q2 2017 figures virtually certain I would say.

http://www.gsmarena.com/idc_windows_phone_falls_to_01_market_share_android_up_to_85_in_q1_this_year-news-26255.php

Doubt it, there'll be little to no movement until whatever comes next arrives.

That's a bit like saying the ground broke your fall.

Real shame. Great OS.

Spent half an hour today trying to figure out how to set a custom notification sound for an app on iOS (an iPad, still rocking my 950XL). Amazingly not actually possible! It's the small things that I miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Changed over to a Samsung S7 last week. Final straw was it stopped synching with my garmin due to an upgrade. I dont think either party were overly concerned on sorting it. Liked the OS but so far no regrets with what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

We are the 0.1% - woohoo!

Advertisement