Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade

• 05-06-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm looking at upgrading my PC, well I guess building a new one more or less. I'd be replacing the motherboard, cpu, memory and graphics card, keeping hard disk and dvd-rw. Would my copy of windows 7 stop working and if so can I transfer it to the new system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You will get help in this forum.

Be sure to fill in their template to get the best responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

You will get help in this forum.

Be sure to fill in their template to get the best responses.

Thanks, I'll try even though this is a windows question rather than just an upgrade one, I need some advice on components anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

mossie wrote: »
    Hi.

I'm looking at upgrading my PC, well I guess building a new one more or less. I'd be replacing the motherboard, cpu, memory and graphics card, keeping hard disk and dvd-rw. Would my copy of windows 7 stop working and if so can I transfer it to the new system?

New Motherboard = New Device. You'll need a new license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Surely depends on the licence you have?
    I have Win 10 pro retail licence. Upgraded my motherboard, cpu and ram. I was able to reactivate my licence by doing a phone activation.

You can always 'move' a retail licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

You should be OK if this is first time you have changed the motherboard. You will have to do the automated phone activation for windows 7.
    It is easy just follow the instructions, sometimes you get put through to a real person, but it works out the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

Just to update - I didn't even have to make a call. When activation failed I went to troubleshoot and then selected changed hardware and it activated right away.

Advertisement