Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to ask for computer build help.

• 22-09-2011 5:14pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you want to ask about a new PC build, please make a new thread and include as much of the following information as possible:

1. What is your budget?
    [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Great post man,
    I think it should be a *cough* sticky *cough*

just one thing to add http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72858800 :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Burgo wrote: »
    Great post man,
    I think it should be a *cough* sticky *cough*

just one thing to add http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72858800 :pac:

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

there was a thread similar to this done before, but a little outdated I'd say. problem is, this won't be stickied. would be nice though as you get so tired of asking the same questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I suppose we could just add the important stuff into signatures but I'm not overly fond of pimping my signature. I'll try it out for a while.
    I should really be using opera's note feature to have a quick way of pasting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Monotype wrote: »
    I suppose we could just add the important stuff into signatures but I'm not overly fond of pimping my signature. I'll try it out for a while.
    I should really be using opera's note feature to have a quick way of pasting stuff.
    Just put Smiley faces all over it like sol :p

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Just put Smiley faces all over it like sol :p

<Goes to find one of his posts to remind myself>.
    Ah, it's not so bad, but I'll add one of every smiley just for good measure. Apparently there's a limit of 15 images.

Well some people are using this so it seems to be working well. Just need to keep it bumped up on the first page :P

*ahem* nudge *cough, cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Bless you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ask a mod to sticky this.

• Advertisement

Stick it in a new thread, Obsidiann.

Updated version of Fluffy's script. Copy the text in the code block and save it as a bookmark.

[PHP]
    javascript:var before = 'Item|Price'; var after = '';var format='{itm_quantity}{itm_name}|{itm_price}';var debug = false;function loadScript( url ){if ( document.getElementById( "basket_parser" ) == null ){var script = document.createElement( "script" );script.setAttribute( "id", "basket_parser" );script.setAttribute( "type", "text/javascript" );script.setAttribute( "src", url "?" Math.pow( new Date().getMonth(), 2 ) Math.pow( new Date().getDate(), 3 ) );document.getElementsByTagName( "head" )[0].appendChild( script );setTimeout( "loadScript('" url "')", 200 );log( "Started loading script: " url );}else if ( typeof( init_script ) != 'undefined' ){log( "Loaded." );init_script();}else{setTimeout( "loadScript('" url "')", 200 );log( "loading ..." );}}function log( string ){if ( debug ){document.body.appendChild( document.createTextNode( string ) );document.body.appendChild( document.createElement( "br" ) );}}loadScript( "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19453211/basket_parser.js&quot; );void( 0 );
    [/PHP]

Also if anyone can think of other things that could be added to the post let me know and I'll bother Solitaire to update it. (Not being able to edit the post after a couple of days is a pain :()

Not that it's extremely urgent, but if you were changing anything else, it might be good to add a small note at the end as to why you'd pay by bank transfer. If I was filling out that form, I'd probably select credit card as it would be my preference, but if I thought I could save a fair bit of money, I'd extend to bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

deconduo wrote: »
    If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget?
    [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

Right, I'm going to be a grump and say the length of the questions interfere with me extracting the relevant information from posters who use this.

I suggest a re-jig to the following format:

Budget :

Purpose:

Windows:

Monitor:

etc.....

Should be straight forward enough. I would also suggest that monitor size/resolution is scrapped and incorporated into one. Overclocking should also be scrapped - should be mentioned in purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nairat

If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget?
    [1500Euro]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Hardcore Gaming] (If gaming include which games,Tera atm but i want to be able to play newest games for next few years on best graphics)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [no i want everything brand new)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes, but i can manage that by myself :)]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24']

[1440x900 atm ] [Yes i am getting a new one with my PC]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [i dont not sure though what is a card reader :)]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser any of those]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 1/14 although i cant w8 bit longer days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Waterford]

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.[i dont but i want a real gaming monster]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Nairat, copy and paste this to a new thread. It will get lost here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nairat

Nairat, copy and paste this to a new thread. It will get lost here.
    y sorry man i am new to boards got an advise to make a post here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

1. What is your budget?
    [€500-600]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Xcon, Borderlands 2, Football Manager, RTS, RPGs etc

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 19'/20'

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?Keyboard and Speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Don't know

9. When are you purchasing? [In 14 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    South Dublin City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Hey allanb49 I think you are supposed to cut a new thread using the info you have posted above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi copper04, I suggest making your own thread about this to get a better response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Thanks I will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mark26

1. What is your budget? €1,000 - €1,200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. Internet browsing. Watching blu rays. I want to be able to play games like BF3, GTA,Fifa, Crysis etc. don't want to worry about lag or having to upgrade parts.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No,I only have an external hard drive (LaCie 2TB)

5. Do you need a monitor? No, I have a Samsung smart tv 40"

5a. If yes, what size do you need

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No, I will buy a wireless keyboard and mouse myself from Logitech. Speakers aren't really a necessity. Will need it to be wireless and will want only a card reader for USB

7. Are you willing to try overclocking yes if safe to do so...

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] cash or PayPal

9. When are you purchasing? Anytime

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin, shankill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hey Mark you should start a new thread with the answers to those questions.

tuxy wrote: »
    Hey Mark you should start a new thread with the answers to those questions.

Thought I did at first :confused:

Cheers for the heads up :)

How the hell do you actually start a thread on this site ??

If you go back to the main forum index

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

You should see a new thread button on the left near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭paddydoyle1996

budget: 500-550 euro
    purpose: gaming
    windows: no
    spare parts : no sorry
    need a moniter : nope
    peripherals: mouse, keyboard, wireless card
    Are you willing to try overclocking : dont think so
    How can you pay? dont no yet
    When are you purchasing? i dont no yet
    If you need help building it, where are you based : i dont need help
    PS : i only want links to parts for the computer

Hey I know you're new to boards so no problem but can you post that info in the thread you started. Then we can help you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭paddydoyle1996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maybe one of the mods should add a bold note to the OP to make a new thread with answers?

Advertisement