Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London terror attack confirmed by Met Police

Options

Comments

Bizarre approach to take a figure for terrorist attacks across all ideologies over a 25 year period and compare it to the figure for attacks linked by a particular ideology over a 14 year period and then claim you've somehow made a coherent argument.

That's an astonishingly poor grasp of how figures work or a very bad faith argument imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

said stuff

Let me guess...lets stop talking about Islamic Terror in a thread directly related to Islamic terror because peanuts,swimming and suicide kill more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,379 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Let me guess...lets stop talking about Islamic Terror in a thread directly related to Islamic terror because peanuts,swimming and suicide kill more people.

I thought we were talking about the british?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Bizarre approach to take a figure for terrorist attacks across all ideologies over a 25 year period and compare it to the figure for attacks linked by a particular ideology over a 14 year period and then claim you've somehow made a coherent argument.

That's an astonishingly poor grasp of how figures work or a very bad faith argument imo

Bizarre as in the ideology only matters and not the amount of dead bodies?

Or bizarre as in you only care when it's done by Islamists in the name of some Fairytale God?

There's nothing "bizarre" about making the point that the amount of people being killed by TERRORISTS (of all races, genders, religions and ideologies) is far lower nowadays than it once was in Europe.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about the british?

They tried hard to veer the thread off course but they failed;)

• Advertisement

How about lets stop exaggerating the scale of the problem of Islamic Terror in Europe and then I won't feel the need to point out the myriad of other things that kill far more people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Ok, you need to clarify something for the rest of us:

Is what we're seeing (recent upsurge in Islamic terrorism, i.e. ISIS inspired attacks on Western civilians) mainly the result of the British (and Americans) bombing the ME, and if so, when do you regard this bombing to have commenced?

Nothing to do with the sudden and recent collapse of power in the ME, namely the removal of "secular" strongman that kept in check the Islamic fundamentalists, who now, using Western technologies, are seeking to reestablish an Islamic caliphate last seen when Mehmed VI departed in 1922...

It's a complicated serious of events. But basically, when you interfere in a country that you have no place in, try to mishmash the running of the country to suit yourself, continually bomb, kill and maim for decade after decade, arm the people that you think are on your side, leave the area in absolute ruin and then remove anyone that has any control over matters you end up with isis.

They tried hard to veer the thread off course but they failed;)

So now its the devil peanuts again.

How about lets stop exaggerating the scale of the problem of Islamic Terror in Europe and then I won't feel the need to point out the myriad of other things that kill far more people.

I'm sure you will continue anyway.

So now its the devil peanuts again.

ABI...Anything But Islam

• Advertisement

I don't think that's totally true

Facts don't care what you believe or your gut feelings.

Less people die from terrorists nowadays in Europe than in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

The 2010's is the safest decade so far statistically.

ABI...Anything But Islam

Ah now we do get Islam praise. Thats encouraged. Just don't dare critique it.

Bizarre as in the ideology only matters and not the amount of dead bodies?

Or bizarre as in you only care when it's done by Islamists in the name of some Fairytale God?

There's nothing "bizarre" about making the point that the amount of people being killed by TERRORISTS (of all races, genders, religions and ideologies) is far lower nowadays than it once was in Europe.

Bizarre as in your statistical approach is flawed and the point you are making is fairly irrelevant to the main thrust of the point you think you are refuting.

But come now, you are perfectly aware of this.

Bizarre as in your statistical approach is flawed and the point you are making is fairly irrelevant to the main thrust of the point you think you are refuting.

But come now, you are perfectly aware of this.

The fact we are statistically far safer from the threat of terrorism now is irrelevant in refuting the hyperbole of the thread of Islamic Terrorists?

What?

You live in a fantasy land.

It's really hard to accept isn't it? The truth is that they can get away with things in the Middle East that they can't.......actually thinking about it, no, they did the exact same in this country and seem to have gotten away with it.

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Most people know the difference between innocent victims and combatants. IS don't care.

Let's get this straight. IS and their acolytes don't think like us;they're in another mental place and it's futile to compare them to us. They don't have empathy like we do. If they did they wouldn't do what they do. They're like the Nazis and the Stalinists in that regard;they simply don't see huge numbers of other beings as being properly human. When they say things, they don't mean the things you think they saying, words mean different things to them.
    They follow a strain of Islam that emphasises the connection between Sunni Muslims above all else. To them (Sunni) Islam overrides all over other obligations,duties and loyalties. Only the Ummah matters. For a start that means that they have disconnected themselves from any community they inhabit.
    They are, in addition, takfiris, which means that they reserve the right to exclude or, excommunicate, everybody who differs from them, to pronounce them as un-Islamic.
    You've probably heard them condemn the "West" for waging war against "The Muslims" -as they put it. But to them "the Muslims" don't mean all Muslims, just a tiny percentage of Muslims. For a start, all the Shia, Ismaelis, Ahmadis, Druze , Ibadis and people of every other strain of Islam are heretic and subject to the death penalty. As are members of "Polytheist" (their notion) religions. Christians and Jews are to be humble inferiors living in fear and subjection.
    Muslims who co-operate with "Apostate" regimes, simply by paying taxes,voting or living an impious life are considered liable for death.Men have been killed for shaving, women for uncovering their faces.
    That's a considerable proportion of the population of the world. IS ultimately harbours ambitions for genocidal slaughter on a scale that would dwarf the toll of the 20c tyrants.
    Trying to ascribe righteous indignation for Muslims killed in bombings, or whatever, to people like that is nonsensical. They're beyond all that. To them Muslims are only fodder for the war that they see in their grandiose ambitions:only martyrs or the damned. Nothing else. Don't be misled by this nonsense.

These people don't just come from nowhere! They're created.

Its a great talent the protectors of Islam have to turn a conversation about the Muslim murderers into a British Murderers discussion. If you run out of excuses best switch topic completely ;)

I don't know about anyone else but I have not defended Muslim murderers, I'm just showing how they were created.

Ok, you need to clarify something for the rest of us:

Is what we're seeing (recent upsurge in Islamic terrorism, i.e. ISIS inspired attacks on Western civilians) mainly the result of the British (and Americans) bombing the ME, and if so, when do you regard this bombing to have commenced?

Nothing to do with the sudden and recent collapse of power in the ME, namely the removal of "secular" strongman that kept in check the Islamic fundamentalists, who now, using Western technologies, are seeking to reestablish an Islamic caliphate last seen when Mehmed VI departed in 1922...

You do realise don't you that the West is largely at fault for removing said 'secular strongmen' in the ME.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Just watched the documentary My jihadi Neighbours someone posted here today and now they name one of the attackers from that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40165646

neverever1 wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I have defended Muslim murderers , I'm just showing how they were created.

I agree

• Advertisement

70's 80's 90's death toll from terrorism is about 1320 deaths.
    2004-2017 death toll is a few shy of 700 deaths...
    So 30 years versus 13 years the death toll is half...funny that, how stats work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I don't know about anyone else but I have defended Muslim murderers, I'm just showing how they were created.

Yes we know you've been defending them.

I agree

Edited because clearly I have been critical of these murderers from the start.

The fact we are statistically far safer from the threat of terrorism now is irrelevant in refuting the hyperbole of the thread of Islamic Terrorists?

What?

Again, I've taken the time to tell you where your statistical comparison is invalid.

On the second diversionary tactic, trying to compare all terrorism in a previous historical period with Islamic terrorism recently, you are in fact arguing that the recent trend of a greater proportion of terrorist deaths being linked to this single common factor is a reason to be........less concerned about that factor. Fabulous reasoning there.

Even if your figures were unquestionable (they aren't, including mafia figures as terrorism ffs) and your dataset criteria were identical (they aren't) and the sample period comparable (they aren't) - even giving you all of this nonsense, you still come to a completely irrational conclusion.

I'm only engaging you because there's a certain lazy intellectual comfort in being able to take your nonsense to pieces, which is a lot more satisfying that trying to get one's head around the breadth of the problems that need to be addressed here even after you can bring yourself to state what's clear and evident to anyone with an eye to see it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Here's a list of people currently banned from posting in this thread and for very good reason. We want to keep this discussion civil and don't want it overrun by trolling, incivility or people turning it into their personal hobby horse agendas. If they're posting in it again, please report the posts and let us deal with it. Ta.

gw80
    Wheeliebin30
    LordSutch
    Junkyard Tom
    Guy Sajer
    boneyarsebogman
    Jobs OXO
    gitzy16v
    123shooter
    wonderfullife
    BalcombeSt4
    Fratton Fred

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What?

Who's "we"?

The population of europe or the population of Norn Iron?

because the latter is the only "we" that your statistic holds water for

The fact that you're actually trying to make the point shows the level of self delusion we're dealing with here?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yes we know you've been defending them.

Calling them murdering bastards is somehow defending them? The only people defending terrorism is the supporters of British/American bombing campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It's a complicated serious of events. But basically, when you interfere in a country that you have no place in, try to mishmash the running of the country to suit yourself, continually bomb, kill and maim for decade after decade, arm the people that you think are on your side, leave the area in absolute ruin and then remove anyone that has any control over matters you end up with isis.

jeez, it was a simple enough question...

any chance you could answer it?

jeez, it was a simple enough question...

any chance you could answer it?

Yes I just did. Also has anyone read this: https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/the-manchester-bombing-as-blowback-the-latest-evidence-83ec2127801d
    Look, maybe people don't know the truth or don't want to believe that British/American forces have caused all this with decades or murderous and underhand tactics. There is no excuse for the murder of innocents by these madmen, let's get that clear. However, there can be no excuse for British/American murder either.

• Advertisement

70's 80's 90's death toll from terrorism is about 1320 deaths.
    2004-2017 death toll is a few shy of 700 deaths...
    So 30 years versus 13 years the death toll is half...funny that, how stats work.
    You left out the years covering the 9/11, Madrid and Bali attacks. Funny that.

Advertisement