Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any sweet tasting and strong alcoholic drinks?

• 02-06-2017 7:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I've tried some vodka drinks, Smirnoff and Nikita and although they were good for the price, I found them quite strong on the throat and a bit hard on my stomach.

Bailey's is good, but it's too low in alcohol content for a slight buzz.

I'm not looking for a juice or something too sweet, The taste of wine and beers has grown on me but I'd prefer something tasty and strong when I'd like quick relaxation.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When I want to relax I drink Brandy and Port, 2 parts Brandy to 1 part Port.

Wouldn't be described as sweet but the port makes it very smooth and the brandy gives quite an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Martini? Gin or Vokda with Vermouth?
    http://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipes/drinks-cocktails/martini

You can pickup own brand Vermouth in LIDL & Tesco for under tenner I think.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jeanjolie wrote: »
    I've tried some vodka drinks, Smirnoff and Nikita and although they were good for the price, I found them quite strong on the throat and a bit hard on my stomach.

Bailey's is good, but it's too low in alcohol content for a slight buzz.

I'm not looking for a juice or something too sweet, The taste of wine and beers has grown on me but I'd prefer something tasty and strong when I'd like quick relaxation.

Any suggestions?

It's hard to get here, but if you have any Polish mates, or know anyone going to Poland, I would very highly recommend a vodka liquer called Krupnik Pigwowy. It is made from quince.

You would get a half litre bottle for about €5/€6 over there. It is divine. Nectar. Sweet, but not sickly sweet. No chaser or mixer needed. It is about 32% volume. I adore it, all of my family/friends do too, and they ain't vodka drinkers at all. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Heaven in a bottle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krupnik-Pigwowy-Liqueur-50-cl/dp/B00XPL0TIO

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Port and other fortified wines would be a good option for sweet and alcoholic drinks, ditto for cream sherries.

You could look at the Absolut or Stoli ranges of flavoured vodkas. I think I have Stoli raspberry and Stoli Salted Caramel at home (gifts from a PR event) and the flavours are really good, not too artificial.

Another option is to learn to make cocktails

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Port and other fortified wines would be a good option for sweet and alcoholic drinks, ditto for cream sherries.

You could look at the Absolut or Stoli ranges of flavoured vodkas. I think I have Stoli raspberry and Stoli Salted Caramel at home (gifts from a PR event) and the flavours are really good, not too artificial.

Another option is to learn to make cocktails

For flavoured vodka's - Krupnik, Sobieski and Soplica - some amazing flavours and tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There are loads of new Irish gin's, don't be put of by you traditional view of Cork Dry Gin.
    These new gins vary vastly different in taste, try Gunpowder Irish gin, it has some nice citrus flavors going on. Mor gin is good too

There are loads of new Irish gin's, don't be put of by you traditional view of Cork Dry Gin.
    These new gins vary vastly different in taste, try Gunpowder Irish gin, it has some nice citrus flavors going on. Mor gin is good too

Wexford strawberry gin is a good one also. A tad expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wexford strawberry gin is a good one also. A tad expensive though.

Expensive compared to what?

Expensive compared to what?

70ml Cork Dry is about €25, 50ml of Wexford gin is €30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

70ml Cork Dry is about €25, 50ml of Wexford gin is €30.

Thats some seriously expensive millilitres :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's hard to get here, but if you have any Polish mates, or know anyone going to Poland, I would very highly recommend a vodka liquer called Krupnik Pigwowy. It is made from quince.

You would get a half litre bottle for about ?5/?6 over there. It is divine. Nectar. Sweet, but not sickly sweet. No chaser or mixer needed. It is about 32% volume. I adore it, all of my family/friends do too, and they ain't vodka drinkers at all. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Heaven in a bottle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krupnik-Pigwowy-Liqueur-50-cl/dp/B00XPL0TIO
    For flavoured vodka's - Krupnik, Sobieski and Soplica - some amazing flavours and tastes.

Krupnic is nice. Soplicia Hazelnut + Milk is gorgeous and Sobieski Caramel(Karamel) is so smooth, no burn/aftertaste whatsoever so may suit the OP.

The Croatians have a fig liqueur that I can never find but oh my, is it liquid gold.

....... wrote: »

In your opinion.

In your opinion.

It's more than opinion.

CDG is a mass produced compounded gin.
    (neutral alcohol with flavourings added)
    Which, BTW, is made in Dublin.

Blackwater Wexford strawberry gin is distilled in 300 litre batches with real botanicals (including whole strawberries) and then infused with more strawberries and blackcurrants after distillation.

It really is not comparing like with like. Of course it is more expensive than CDG.

It is, however, cheaper than almost any Irish gin (CDG is made by a French multinational) apart from Dingle.

Just to be clear, I make Blackwater!

Anyway, back on topic :
    I'm not usually a fan of sweet drinks but Cointreau is full strength and pretty tasty as is Grand Mariner.

Feangelico, a hazelnut liqueur, while weaker, is really lovely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How much of a strawberry taste would you get from it, and would you recommend drinking it neat?

For people who aren't connoisseurs, a €5 difference for 20ml less, is a lot. For people who aren't snobs, one is not so much superior than the other. For people who like Cork Dry Gin, your opinion, is rubbish.

• Advertisement

I prefer Cork dry over the Wexford berry one. That's also a fact. Taste is not factual, it is personal and subjective. So, there may be less of it made, and the process maybe different compared to mass produced gin, doesn't mean it is better or worse. People have different tastes, different opinions, different palates, it is not a fact that one is better than the other, it is an opinion. Just because one is craft, one is mass produced, doesn't make it superior.

It's more than opinion.

CDG is a mass produced compounded gin.
    (neutral alcohol with flavourings added)
    Which, BTW, is made in Dublin.

Blackwater Wexford strawberry gin is distilled in 300 litre batches with real botanicals (including whole strawberries) and then infused with more strawberries and blackcurrants after distillation.

It really is not comparing like with like. Of course it is more expensive than CDG.

It is, however, cheaper than almost any Irish gin (CDG is made by a French multinational) apart from Dingle.

Is it made only using Wexford grown strawberries? I bought a bottle in Dublin airport earlier this year, on my way to America, gave it to my cousin over there. They are originally from Wexford.

Mod Edit: There's goin' be a whoppin' soon!

You obviously didn't read the beginning of the thread.

Mod Edit: Are you looking for trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 FreddyGotFried

Southern Comfort is very sweet I find. Certainty too sweet for me. I believe it's on special for €20 in Dunne's Stores, or was during the week anyway.

Advertisement