Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sweet tasting and strong alcoholic drinks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How much of a strawberry taste would you get from it, and would you recommend drinking it neat?

It is first and foremost gin. There is a subtle strawberry taste and aroma from it but it is unsweetened. I like it neat, but then I like neat gin;)
    It goes really well with tonic, strawberry, basil and black pepper.
    Is it made only using Wexford grown strawberries? I bought a bottle in Dublin airport earlier this year, on my way to America, gave it to my cousin over there. They are originally from Wexford.

Yup, all the strawberries are from Kearn's in Wexford. Handy thing is that because we essentially boil the bejasus out of them, we can use frozen strawberries so the seasonality doesn't affect us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

70ml Cork Dry is about €25, 50ml of Wexford gin is €30.

Cork Dry is probably the poorest quality (people can like the taste of poor quality products, just look at Findus in the 80s) gin on the market by some margin.

Lidl's own brand is clearly better made and significantly cheaper. It may not appeal to a Cork Dry drinker, as it tastes like gin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

....... wrote: »
    Tescos Finest Id imagine?

Just on this point, some of Tesco Finest alcohol products come out tops in blind taste tests against premium products, one of their champagnes for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

EverythingGood and ....... your bickering is becoming tiresome, think carefully before posting in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Have a friend who, back in the late 80's , always drank Malibu with a Pineapple mixer in it. Horrendously sweet to my taste.

Can you even get pineapple mixer nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Mod Edit: I'm starting to feel like a keyboard bouncer!!

COME ON THEN!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Have a friend who, back in the late 80's , always drank Malibu with a Pineapple mixer in it. Horrendously sweet to my taste.

Can you even get pineapple mixer nowadays?

That was probably Britfic pineapple juice. Probably still around. Malibu is still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That was probably Britfic pineapple juice. Probably still around.

Yup, it's still available. My mother is a Pioneer and Britfic pineapple is her tipple of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coulagh2017

Brandy and Bailey's. Yummy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sloe Gin would be another one I'd recommend. You can buy it ready made, or it's a cinch to make yourself as long as you can find a local source of sloes.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Sweet tasting but strong? A honey whiskey might tick the box. Jack Daniels honey Tennessee whiskey for example, sold in most off licenses and large supermarkets.

If you like Bailey's but its not strong enough for you, mix it with Cointreau. I would drink cointreau neat or on the rocks but if I have a sweet craving, mixing with Bailey's makes a terrys chocolate orange flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer

Its 4%abv. Available in supervalu (3.95) and lidl (2.99), for a 500ml bottle.

It barely tastes of alcohol.
    Very nice with ice and a wedge of lime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Back Seat Modding but is this thread appropriate for a leaving cert student to be advised on what to drink?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Back Seat Modding but is this thread appropriate for a leaving cert student to be advised on what to drink?

Would prefer if you used the "report" option in future please. OP appears to be a 19 year old anyway so all grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    You could look at the Absolut or Stoli ranges of flavoured vodkas. I think I have Stoli raspberry and Stoli Salted Caramel at home (gifts from a PR event) and the flavours are really good, not too artificial
    +1, the absolut ones are subtle enough, not like some super sweet artificial "shooter" drink that tastes like kids penny sweets dissolved in alcohol (some people do this, a small amount might be OK).

I believe absolut make a good neutral & pure vodka base. With original aboslut they then add back in earlier distillate which has more "vodka taste". But I think in most of the flavoured ones they do not add any back, just the flavourings/essence of the fruits or whatever.

They often go on special offer, and are currently ?22 in tesco, the regular is still full price 26.69

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=absolut

Citron is my favourite, and the most subtle I have tasted, very easy to drink -too easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ever tried Ouzo? Strong anise (licorice) taste but also sweet. I have a bottle at the moment, and it's OK on its own or with water, but I'm also using it like a double-strength vermouth, adding a tsp or so to a G&T.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement