Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 years for ex-shinner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

it shows nothing of the sort. this is nothing to do with sinn fein. sinn fein are still a very credible party and are the only ones who can now be trusted to run the country.

The electorate disagrees. This person is very representative of Sinn Feín.
    He can play the hard man in prison now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I have to say I'm happy with this result... Dragging down the good name of Sinn Fein with this type of behaviour is reprehensible IMHO.

The good name of Sinn Fein :D

I presume you're being sarcastic.

Very rare that such a long sentence is applied to anything. Be real about it.

Some life sentences amount to this. Although I know they are on "license" for life forever. This is not similar.

Judges cannot be called out on their sentencing, except in the court of appeal. All very fine for you to say what you did, so my voice is mute, except for a rant on places like this really.

What recourse does any joe or josie have really can you tell me.

Its exactly because its rare that we should be happy a real sentence has been applied.
    Im not sure why anyone would try to say otherwise?
    If people have a problem with other sentences being too lenient, then those are the sentences they need to complain about.

this was a good sentence, you must remember he was a public representative engaged in torture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

If you have ever been on the receiving end of sinn Fein threats and intimidation , as I have, you'd never see them like any other party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Syphonax wrote: »
    Sinn Fein are a credible party but its a choice between blue collar and white collar crime and no one in their right mind wants the anarchy that would come with Sinn Fein in power.

Smashing a glass in someones face ala Sean Conlon (Fine Gael) is not white collar crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Don't know the it's and our's but caught snippets on the news in the car on the way home from work.
    What made me think were the quotes from the judge re the demeaning nature ....intimidation....holding someone against their will....using a weapon. .threatening them....I was left thinking they could be describing any rape and yet look at how tlmany rapists get away with lenient sentences.
    I sincerely hope the next time a rape victim is giving an impact statement before sentencing they can refer to this judges summary and the same sentence be imposed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bubblypop wrote: »
    Its exactly because its rare that we should be happy a real sentence has been applied.
    Im not sure why anyone would try to say otherwise?
    If people have a problem with other sentences being too lenient, then those are the sentences they need to complain about.

this was a good sentence, you must remember he was a public representative engaged in torture

Until it is appealed. At our expense.

Remember other sentences for brutal crimes did not get 12 years or anything like it. And if you could advise how one could appeal a lenient sentence I am all ears.

Only the accused can do this am I right? And I would be amazed if an accused would appeal a lenient sentence.

So how do I as a law abiding citizen either complain against a tough or lenient sentence applied by the judge? I bet the families and loved ones of the perpetrators would really love to know this. It does not happen.

Thanks for the heads up there anyway. FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

smurgen wrote: »
    Smashing a glass in someones face ala Sean Conlon (Fine Gael) is not white collar crime.

I doubt Colon threatened his victim with Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan though. Must have put the fear of God into the victim to know that he was going to have the Officer Commanding Ranelagh Brigade McDonald on his case if he didn't cooperate.

Until it is appealed. At our expense.

Remember other sentences for brutal crimes did not get 12 years or anything like it. And if you could advise how one could appeal a lenient sentence I am all ears.

Only the accused can do this am I right? And I would be amazed if an accused would appeal a lenient sentence.

So how do I as a law abiding citizen either complain against a tough or lenient sentence applied by the judge? I bet the families and loved ones of the perpetrators would really love to know this. It does not happen.

Thanks for the heads up there anyway. FWIW

I actually said you should complain, maybe to your local TD about judges lack of consistency.
    The DPP can appeal lenient sentences, and does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

LordSutch wrote: »
    The good name of Sinn Fein :D

I presume you're being sarcastic.

Would any shinner disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Allinall

it shows nothing of the sort. this is nothing to do with sinn fein. sinn fein are still a very credible party and are the only ones who can now be trusted to run the country.

Thanks for the laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It's the correct sentence but disproportionate compared to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Would any shinner disagree?

All armies everywhere have their share of members who are there because they enjoy the thuggery that goes with the job. Speak to the military police or resident of a garrison town. The IRA were no different.
    This guy obviously wasn't able to leave it behind him unlike most of those who joined SF. He left or got thrown out of the party.
    Post conflict parties have these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

I have no time for SF or their hangers on at all. Will always have a whiff of cordite about them and just beyond criminality etc. for me.

But anyway, I cannot help but think that 12 years is a long sentence, when you think of rapists and child abusers and the devil and all getting much softer sentences that many a thread here comments on WRT to the leniency of sentencing.

Seems a long sentence by comparison to me.

Just thinking out loud here.

A serving politician kidnapped, assaulted, tortured and threatened to kill someone. He lured him to his house to carry out this attack, showing at least some premeditation.
    He also claimed to be a member of a terrorist organization who would execute the victim if he went to the gardai.

12 years doesn't seem too harsh when you factor in all those parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Shinnerbots assemble!

All armies everywhere have their share of members who are there because they enjoy the thuggery that goes with the job. Speak to the military police or resident of a garrison town. The IRA were no different.
    This guy obviously wasn't able to leave it behind him unlike most of those who joined SF. He left or got thrown out of the party.
    Post conflict parties have these issues.

Are SF an army now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Allinall wrote: »
    Are SF an army now?

Oops!

Are SF an army now?

No, the IRA were structured as one unless you wish to be pointlessly pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Your Face wrote: »
    Shinnerbots assemble!
    Probably at the Bloom 2017 Festival
    (or something that sounds like it).

No, the IRA were structured as one unless you wish to be pointlessly pedantic.

I'm all for pedantics.

What was the point of your post?

You didn't explain.

• Advertisement

I'm all for pedantics.

What was the point of your post?

You didn't explain.

My point was, why be surprised that a former member of an army who could find no place in a political party, would be involved in thuggery?
    Members of armies and former members do stuff like this all the time.

What was your point?

My point was, why be surprised that a former member of an army who could find no place in a political party, would be involved in thuggery?

What was your point?

Was he in the ira?

He was in sinn fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

What was your point?

But he had a place in a political party. He was a serving SF councillor at the time this happened.

Plus he's 40, what f**king war was he fighting in Dublin in the late 90s?

Was he in the ira?

He was in sinn fein.

He said he was.

He said he was.

But the ira ceased to exist 20 years ago?

What are you smoking man?

What was your point?

Who's surprised?

ceegee wrote: »
    But he had a place in a political party. He was a serving SF councillor at the time this happened.

Plus he's 40, what f**king war was he fighting in Dublin in the late 90s?

Political parties are supposed to know what a member MIGHT do? Who knew.

A wee bit of calming down might be required there.

But the ira ceased to exist 20 years ago?

What are you smoking man?

Once a thug always a thug. He was caught and dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

The guy must have been wet behind the ears to try and con those two.
    Opps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Syphonax wrote: »
    My opinion on Sinn Fein has softened in recent years to the point that ive actually considered voting for them (perhaps its just years of been dismayed with the other main parties) but this news of this waterboarding just goes to show their true colours and how they truly operate out of view of the cameras.

Erm..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement