Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Happened to myself and the missus on the way back from Spain last week. Checked in at the same time. Were put on opposite ends of the plane. Families were scattered all around the place.

It was a nightmare of a flight. The plane was filthy and there was no one to help put our carry-on in the overhead as other passengers had taken all the room with multiple bags.

Ended up sitting with the missus after take off as the seat beside her was free.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

km79 wrote: »
    And a lot of people without kids were really happy about it as they would not have to move to accommodate families with kids etc .........

Don't really understand that comment. I was travelling with kids a lot of times before we were always given seats together. We have never asked anyone to move because we were travelling with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

grogi wrote: »
    Don't really understand that comment. I was travelling with kids a lot of times before we were always given seats together. We have never asked anyone to move because we were travelling with kids.

Somef families checked in very late and couldnt get seats beside each other. THen boarded the flight and demanded to be accomdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Bob24 wrote: »
    Is that very last minute check-in?

Doing in on purpose even if neighbouring seats are available would really be going a step too far.

I checked in as soon as check in opened - seats 15 rows apart and both middle.

Aer Lingus from now on for me.

Somef families checked in very late and couldnt get seats beside each other. THen boarded the flight and demanded to be accomdated.

That is extremely very unusual. In the past the algorithm that was used to assign palce would start filling the plane from the back to the front, there would always be a row somewhere in the front that was completely free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

posy2010 wrote: »
    Just so you know if you go into print boarding passes it will say oh you are sitting miles from each other, want to change? I said yes to see and the seat next to my pre allocated one was empty so only had to pay a fiver for the 1 seat. May be worth a go day before flight!

This is where they are trying to make a few quid extra on each flight. To you it's "only a fiver" but if they squeezed a fiver out of half their bookings, they'd be on to a fortune. I understand that the business model is pay for anything extra but going out of their way to disrupt passengers from sitting together to encourage paying for a seat together is a step too far imo.
    When myself and my partner flew recently, it was like the old days of Ryanair when no one had an allocated seat - there was much swapping and switching of seats before take off. "That's my friend over there, will you swap with me?" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Exactly
    We always checked in the week ahead , got seated together and never had to disrupt anybody else
    But a lot of people were delighted with this new system to penalize families .........turns out everyone now has to pay OR look for swaps
    So the only winners are Ryanair and it sounds like it has lead to MORE disruption on flights not less
    It seems adults can't sit for a few hours apart either but are not willing to pay the fees they wanted those with kids to pay to sit together !

Anyway I'm awaiting a response to the escalation of my situation
    I'll update when I get it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Scumbags putting people from the same booking at opposite ends of the plane, is that a recent thing? Quoting me €18 to sit beside each other. I remember now why I avoid them.

They did the same to me when I checked in online last night. Obviously an underhand ploy to extract more money from us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Jayop wrote: »
    The missus and her wife flew twice this week and although there were only two of them and the flight wasn't full they were allocated seats away from each other on both legs.

Clear tactic from Ryanair to force people to buy seats. Poor form and I'm someone who always defends them here.

Dont see it as a big deal at all, they have for years letting people get away with it, they now have decided to inforce a rule they had for years
    My wife and I had to sit away from each other to avoid this we have to pay the price of sitting together

irishman86 wrote: »
    Dont see it as a big deal at all, they have for years letting people get away with it, they now have decided to inforce a rule they had for years
    My wife and I had to sit away from each other to avoid this we have to pay the price of sitting together

Get away with what? Common sense? If we are making one reservation, it means we would like to seat next to each other.

What is next?

Ryanair is playing super laud commercials from the speakers in your headrest. For only €8 you can have it switched off!

irishman86 wrote:
    What is the big deal? People were for years flying without screaming headrests, it is just now that we have to pay for it?"
    ??

I for sure will not be entertained by this new seating arrangements and will sit where I see fit. I will of course move when asked by the crew "oh sorry, didn't know", but that will cause more havoc onboard - and I encourage everyone to do the same.

• Advertisement

posy2010 wrote: »
    Just so you know if you go into print boarding passes it will say oh you are sitting miles from each other, want to change? I said yes to see and the seat next to my pre allocated one was empty so only had to pay a fiver for the 1 seat. May be worth a go day before flight!

Its on purpose, both times a recent trip to rome I was separated from my wife with a seat each side of me
    Like I said I dont see it as a big deal

Get away with what? Common sense? If we are making one reservation, it means we would like to seat next to each other.

What is next?

Ryanair is playing super laud commercials from the speakers in your headrest. For only ?8 you can have it switched off!

??

I for sure will not be entertained by this new seating arrangements and will sit where I see fit. I will of course move when asked by the crew "oh sorry, didn't know", but that will cause more havoc onboard - and I encourage everyone to do the same.
    If you want to sit with someone pay for it, people get outraged about such stupid stuff.
    I never wrote anything about head sets so dont write saying I did
    Off with you, you will be the fool that everyone hates on the flight thinking you are fighting the man instead of just being a tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

If you want to sit with someone pay for it, people get outraged about such stupid stuff.

By the amount of outrage it seems it is not that stupid. It might not be important for you, but it is for many other.
    I never wrote anything about head sets so dont write saying I did
    Off with you, you will be the fool that everyone hates on the flight thinking you are fighting the man instead of just being a tool

No, you didn't. But that is my prediction what you would say if Ryanair introduced the €8 offer for silence.
    Just because 2 people are on the one booking does not necessarily mean they want to sit beside each other.

Would they mind? If they mind, they probably would never book together. It is never cheaper to book together either, sometimes it is more expensive than booking separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Same, and in the dozens of flights I've taken I've not once seen someone be asked to move, yet I've read about it here loads of times as if it's a common occurance.

By the amount of outrage it seems it is not that stupid. It might not be important for you, but it is for many other.

No, you didn't. But that is my prediction what you would say if Ryanair introduced the ?8 offer for silence.

Would they mind? If they mind, they probably would never book together. It is never cheaper to book together either, sometimes it is more expensive than booking separately.

There isnt a lot of outrage, there is a few people on boards
    You are saying illogical things sure how about a fee for not crashing the plane sense were being stupid
    I dont think you understand how a business works you pay for services they offer you if you dont want that well go elsewhere and you will quickly see how much more you have to pay for a similar service

There isnt a lot of outrage, there is a few people on boards
    You are saying illogical things sure how about a fee for not crashing the plane sense were being stupid
    I dont think you understand how a business works you pay for services they offer you if you dont want that well go elsewhere and you will quickly see how much more you have to pay for a similar service

What about making reservations in a restaurant and them sitting you at opposite ends of the room unless you pay a surcharge? That's a better analogy for this and it's also bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I have been a long time supporter of Ryanair. Cheap flights and if you follow the rules it works. However I have just checked in 3 men for a flight this sunday and they were allocated seats front middle and back. There were several options of three seats together. I paid €8 to move 2 of them beside the 3rd as one of them would have difficulty with bags. If I left it late I would have no problem but it was completely unnecessary.
    Also a couple of months ago I checked in 5 of us travelling together and we were seated all in one row on both the outward and return journey so I can't understand why this would be different.

Gouging.

It seems this was the plan all along and I'm very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I like the restaurant example!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

tina1040 wrote: »

Yes it is a much more valid analogy.

Ryanair had gotten better a few years back as they realised all their "tricks" were going too far and were pushing back customers. Seems like they are going back to their old deamons.

At the end of the day I don't think it will serve them as regular customers will know this and automatically consider it as a mandatory extra, it will hurt Ryanair's image, and it could possible cause annoyances for both their crews and passengers during boarding and while in the air with a high number of people wounding drowned the cabin.

Ironically one thing which might get them to reconsider is if the crew can't sell all their crap during the flight because their trolley is constantly obstructed by passengers walking to the other end of the plane to talk to someone or boarding gets more expensive for them as people trying to swap their seats make the process longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I have been a long time supporter of Ryanair. Cheap flights and if you follow the rules it works. However I have just checked in 3 men for a flight this sunday and they were allocated seats front middle and back. There were several options of three seats together. I paid €8 to move 2 of them beside the 3rd as one of them would have difficulty with bags. If I left it late I would have no problem but it was completely unnecessary.
    Also a couple of months ago I checked in 5 of us travelling together and we were seated all in one row on both the outward and return journey so I can't understand why this would be different.

Were the 3 all on the same booking or 3 individual bookings?

Jayop wrote: »
    What about making reservations in a restaurant and them sitting you at opposite ends of the room unless you pay a surcharge? That's a better analogy for this and it's also bonkers.

How is it in any way the same, one is a social service the other is a travel service more apt would be booking a ticket on a bus and having to sit apart.
    The out rage over this is hilarious tbh.
    If you want a restaurant analogy it would be going in and sitting down and asking for a lemon and water then getting outraged when they charge you for it.
    A service is a service and a company needs to make money, I for one have no problem with this and I have a wife and child.

Its really a stupid example
    Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes it is a much more valid analogy.

Ryanair had gotten better a few years back as they realised all their "tricks" were going too far and were pushing back customers. Seems like they are going back to their old deamons.

At the end of the day I don't think it will serve them as regular customers will know this and automatically consider it as a mandatory extra, it will hurt Ryanair's image, and it could possible cause annoyances for both their crews and passengers during boarding and while in the air with a high number of people wounding drowned the cabin.

Ironically one thing which might get them to reconsider is if the crew can't sell all their crap during the flight because their trolley is constantly obstructed by passengers walking to the other end of the plane to talk to someone or boarding gets more expensive for them as people trying to swap their seats make the process longer.

Ryanairs image :pac: do you think they give a **** about there image, MOL has for years thrived with the image what makes you think that would change now, its basic supply and demand

How is it in any way the same, one is a social service the other is a travel service

Restaurant is food service, not social...
    more apt would be booking a ticket on a bus and having to sit apart.

If the travel is longer than 15 minutes I guarantee that people will complain as well.

Offering seats together did cost absolutely zero. There is no reason to introduce a fee for that now, it is nothing but an obvious nasty money grab.

Please stop defending Ryanair and report back to the bosses that maybe they should reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If the travel is longer than 15 minutes I guarantee that people will complain as well.

Offering seats together did cost absolutely zero. There is no reason to introduce a fee for that now, it is nothing but an obvious nasty money grab.

Please stop defending Ryanair and report back to the bosses that maybe they should reconsider.

Yes it is a money grab. Ryanair grab money with extra charges so they can offer cheap flights. That's always been their model.

Restaurant analogy is dumb, flying is a mode of transport -not a social dining experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

I really don't understand all the outrage - the Ryanair model has always been the same and it's been extremely successful for both them and the travelling public!

"We will give you a cheap seat from A to B if you book way in advance .... if you want anything else ... you pay extra!"

If you don't like it, go somewhere else and if enough people do that then they will change the model!

Restaurant is a social service as well as a food service champ, all you have shown is lack of knowledge on that as well as the transport service

The time of the trip means nothing, I take longer bus trips than most Ryanair flights when I go from Galway to Dublin prior to flying so get your facts correct before spouting nonsense

Why would I stop defending a company that offers a good service and gives very good prices.

Maybe have a quick google on how the economy works instead of getting outraged because you cant understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Its really a stupid example

Ryanairs image :pac: do you think they give a **** about there image, MOL has for years thrived with the image what makes you think that would change now, its basic supply and demand

Supply and demand is what I am talking about. I don't think customers have any entitlement but they get to choose not to use the service if they are not happy.

I definitely think they do care about their image it if means losing profit (MOL is more than smart enough to care). Remember 3 or 4 years ago: MOL himself openly said the company was losing business because it was unnecessarily pissing-off custumers and implemented many changes accordingly. Since then profits have gone to the roof.

To me, if they are indeed slitting out passengers who are on the same booking on purpose, it does classify as "unnecessarily pissing-off custumers".

• Advertisement

Yes it is a money grab. Ryanair grab money with extra charges so they can offer cheap flights. That's always been their model.

Restaurant analogy is dumb, flying is a mode of transport -not a social dining experience.

Reminds me of a episode of south park in here :pac:
    I have no idea when a profit making company shocks people by doing something that will make them money and the simple way around this is dont sit together or if you wish pay a fee which will still make the flight cheaper than everyone else :eek:

Advertisement