Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Who Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have friends who read all the spoilers before they goto movies or watch TV shows, they seem to enjoy it, I just enjoy it alot less if people tell me what is going to happen.

I can't understand people who do that.

Even knowing there's a surprise coming will hugely spoil the enjoyment of it, imo.

"oh you won't believe the twist! It's so unexpected!!" –– well, great, it's not unexpected now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CramCycle wrote:
    I suppose, I like surprises and I just cannot understand why they don't do it like that. I have friends who read all the spoilers before they goto movies or watch TV shows, they seem to enjoy it, I just enjoy it alot less if people tell me what is going to happen.

I suppose re an actor leaving, it's hard to keep it quiet given that they'll probably be signing on to other projects it would just be impossible to stop it leaking. If they could keep who the next doctor is is though, that'd be cool, if we had no idea who the doctor was going to generate into but they will insist on doing an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Goodshape wrote: »
    Was Missy in the promos for this episode? I don't usually pay attention to the promos but from what I did see, she wasn't. Because it was a "surprise", right?

Except that the actress did a Reddit AMA last week on account of her character "returning in the next episode".

So that's how I knew she was in the vault – because they didn't even attempt to keep a secret. Pity.

I don't just mean the promo for ths episode, though she appeared at the end of the promo after the previous episode. I mean it's no secret she was in this season which is why people were guessing she was in the vault. So I'm wondering if that wasn't made public knowledge, would anyone guess she was in there?

I've said the same about regenerations before. There is no reason they can't keep it secret. American shows manage it. Like Game of Thrones is finished filming its next season, yet I don't know who will live or die and I don't want to.
    BBC don't even try. For Capaldi they even had a special reveal program to announce him.

I do remember they can work it to their advantage sometimes. Like when Jenna was announced as the next companion due to join later, then she popped up in the Asylum of the Daleks. And again in the Christmas episode. This all tied into the main story.

But, again, imagine if we didn't know Amy and Rory were leaving. Would've been more shocking, unless we didn't believe it right away and assumed they would return until their departure was confirmed.

As for actors signing on to other shows. It's not like they do 20+ episodes a year. They do have time to do other stuff since a lot of British shows are so short.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Did they manage to keep John Hurt quiet? I seem to recall being surprised by that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Did they manage to keep John Hurt quiet? I seem to recall being surprised by that one.

Yeah, I think so; IIRC that was a total surprise, to me anyway. The cameo from Tom Baker was ruined though, albeit by Baker himself who blabbed during an interview a few weeks prior to the airing of the 50th anniversary episode.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, I think so; IIRC that was a total surprise, to me anyway. The cameo from Tom Baker was ruined though, albeit by Baker himself who blabbed during an interview a few weeks prior to the airing of the 50th anniversary episode.

That 50th was a magical moment for me. I was working at Eirtakon and I was sitting in a bar with about 200 Who fans of about all ages. Cons being safe spacey types of event a couple of 14 year old-ish girls felt comfy enough to ask this old (to them) grizzled shaven head guy what it was like watching Who as a kid in the 80s :)

There was a couple of moments when the whole crowd went nuts, Baker was one of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That 50th was a magical moment for me. I was working at Eirtakon and I was sitting in a bar with about 200 Who fans of about all ages. Cons being safe spacey types of event a couple of 14 year old-ish girls felt comfy enough to ask this old (to them) grizzled shaven head guy what it was like watching Who as a kid in the 80s :)

There was a couple of moments when the whole crowd went nuts, Baker was one of them!

Of course, both Hurt & Baker have such distinct voices, I knew who they were before the camera even dramatically revealed the speaker at each actors' respective first appearance. I positively geeked out the moment I heard Baker speak; ditto Hurt before he even turned around the show basically went 'Look who we nabbed!'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tom Baker has an incredible voice and one that has gotten better with the years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think it would have been far more interesting if it was a former or unknown regeneration of the master (or even just a different timelord) was the one placed in the box, but the doctor did not know who it was and the master or someone he knew came out as one we know. Not sure how it would work though.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think it would have been far more interesting if it was a former or unknown regeneration of the master (or even just a different timelord) was the one placed in the box, but the doctor did not know who it was and the master or someone he knew came out as one we know. Not sure how it would work though.

I think I know the trick they're gonna pull.
    Missy gonna die from the effect of the lightning thingy. The cube has been keeping her alive. It turns out she regenerates INTO Simms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

still a great season though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think the father from My Parents Are Aliens is in this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Angron wrote: »
    I think the father from My Parents Are Aliens is in this episode.
    That's him alright, seen him in a few things like the BBC Three war comedy Bluestone 42.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

flazio wrote: »
    That's him alright, seen him in a few things like the BBC Three war comedy Bluestone 42.
    I was trying to figure out why he seemed familiar until it eventually clicked that that's why I recognised him. Seems almost a bit meta given that he's a qualified doctor, and has played an alien before :pac:

So, looks like next week's episode is getting a bit 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭corkie

Tony Gardner

Another Good episode! What has Bill Done? :)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

That was great!

Well that was a proper Doctor Who episode wasn't it?

This season is probably going to be the best one of the entire new series. It's 100% the best first half for me, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

I must admit, I really feel like I'm missing something with these last two episodes.

I've really liked the season so far, but these last two just haven't gelled with me. I can't put my finger on it, but especially with last night's I just couldn't get past several issues.

A hi-tech lab that works with biochemicals has a system that every 30 minutes vents the internal air outside, and it can't be stopped, even if the lab is in lockdown due to a biochemical leak?

The same hi-tech lab has a mechanical, spinning wheel, combination lock on the door, that is only used when the lab is in lockdown? And why was the door closed in the first place, the first technician had left both of them open, so it's not like there's some mechanism that says you can only open one of the other's closed.

The Commander of what I presume is the Russian Army is out on his own, near absolutely no other Russian Soliders, not even an aide-de-camp, with a big Russian Flag hanging off the back of his Jeep, in case it wasn't clear where he is from?

The Alien race are somehow able to change every clock in the world to a countdown, even an analogue watch?

The Doctor is going to blow up the 'entire lab' but it's ok to watch it from behind a door right beside the lab.

It just felt so contrived to me, ricidculous details designedly purely to lead to a 'the world is in terrible danger' scenario and the Doctor's blindness finally puts him in danger due to the aforementioned mechanical combination lock.

The premise is a good one - do you choose to save the world at an unknown cost? - and giving Bill that choice between the world and the Doctor is good too, but it was all done in such a clunky, awkward way, it reminded me of some of the worse RTD episodes, where the stakes had to be raised more and more.

I know it's a kids' program, so you clearly have to suspend disbelief, and that's fine. But with good epsidoes, you barely notice you're doing that, it just works. The fact that I was mentally noticing the above list while watching the show tells me that it just didn't work in this one...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This season is probably going to be the best one of the entire new series.
    It's the series the most like the original ones for me and Capaldi the most old style of the Doctors. TBH he really disappointed me at first. I was looking forward to him in a big way, but he fell flat for me. Now his last season and he's what I'd hoped he'd be. Typical. :)
    jasonb wrote: »
    I must admit, I really feel like I'm missing something with these last two episodes./I know it's a kids' program, so you clearly have to suspend disbelief, and that's fine. But with good epsidoes, you barely notice you're doing that, it just works. The fact that I was mentally noticing the above list while watching the show tells me that it just didn't work in this one...
    Ditto TBH. I though last night's storyline and massive plot holes were weak tea. Made up by the strong performances of the main players.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

really good episode. Very much a string season.

Still no idea why the alienship / base is pyramid based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So 3 people who said they were just soldiers who would disobey orders feel they have the power to consent to give over control of the world?

Going by thr trailer for next week
    Reminds me a bit of Last of the Timelords

Still no idea why the alienship / base is pyramid based.

Exactly! It felt like the reason it was a pyramid was purely so the line 'It's a 5,000 year old pyramid, but it wasn't here yesterday' could be used. I can see no other reason for it. And that's what I mean about it being contrived and clunky...

I think the problem with Dr Who, a problem that existed even in the Classic Era, is that it just never could portray the geopolitical with any real competency. It just wasn't within the wheelhouse of a show that tended to paint it colours fairly broad anyway, and the nature of the audience didn't allow for any kind of complexity either; so the result tended to be something often very reductionist, or simply strained believably (the Pertwee years loved to trot out the trigger happy 'undersecretary ' for instance, while in the new series you got a speech by Obama to end poverty people watched on Christmas Day).

This episode didn't really stray from that wobbly formula, but it's just such a familiar ... failing, I guess, I was willing to accept the simplicity of it all; so there's no way any general would have that latitude of power - there are chains of command after all - but for the purposes of Dr. Who's perspective of the world that's just how it works.

The episode was otherwise enjoyable, but definitely felt like the first 'B' in a season hitherto an arguable streak of straight 'A's. I'm also pretty sure it's the longest sequence for a single story in new-Who: next week will bring it to three episodes, four if you count the cliffhanger / last act of 'Oxygen'. I did like the latest once off - quasi companion in the scientist lady, she was nice touch of personality to that side-story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Nobody is talking about
    Nardole! Is he dead?

Orion wrote: »
    Nobody is talking about
    Nardole! Is he dead?

I'm sure he'll get a new pair of lungs and be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Orion wrote: »
    Nobody is talking about
    Nardole! Is he dead?
    Considering he hadn't melted/decayed in the Tardis like Dan Miller did, I'd say he recovers somehow. If they were going to kill him, that would have been the time to show it.

Watched Extremis again, and preferred it the second time, though I noticed that the Doctor had no problem telling the Cardinal (well, he thought it was the Cardinal, but was one of the Monks, it was when he was using the machine to get his sight back) that he was blind. I thought he was keeping that a secret?

As for Nardole, the Sky EPG for next week's episode say that Bill and Nardole have to work together, so that answers that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So 3 people who said they were just soldiers who would disobey orders feel they have the power to consent to give over control of the world?

I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

CastorTroy wrote: »

I hope not.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but no, that was a great idea but the execution was atrocious. It was on of the worst directed/plotted episodes I can remember.

Absolutely everything about the lab was contrived and frankly stupid.
    Nothing they did could/would happen.
    From there being no tolerances set, in the injection settings, to the "scientist" taking off his biohazard protection. To scooping a random mega toxic sample by hand to taking it OUT of the containment area. I'm not even going to think of more there.
    Then the military scenes oh Christ, the "Why can't we be friends" scene alone was enough for me.

FFS it was insulting

Advertisement