Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think people should be allowed to bring dogs into shops/cafe/bar with them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

no i have two pets before i am labeled an animal hater but where there is food - no. I hate this americanisation of our pet culture suddenly pets have become surrogate children and are pandered to at every opportunity. They are animals should be treated fairly and with kindness but seriously people need to get a grip they are not little people in fur coats. It does them no justice - and raises the ugly business of puppy farms for handbag dogs and designer dogs are slowly losing their function in life as working animals. It is totally unfair to ask a dog such as a husky to live their lives in a built up city - it just shows how far from reality people are when it comes to their "pets".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I think the owner's dog is fair enough, as the dog would be used to being there and used to all sorts of strangers coming and going. It's difficult to predict how other dogs will behave though.

I don't have a hygiene issue at all as I'm not precious, but I think it would cause problems in terms of behaviour.

Having said that, in my experience young children are a lot more annoying than pets when I'm sitting in a restaurant or cafe.

I'm in Europe and its completely normal for people to bring their dog on the train, bus, to restaurants, cafes, sometimes to bars. I've never yet see behaviour to be a problem. The expected standard of training is much higher though in my opinion. Dogs are trained well and socialized from a young age. In restaurants the dog usually lies down under or beside the table and doesn't move, regardless of noise, food smells, other dogs etc. It's not like half the mutts I know in Ireland who would be jumping up on ya and begging for food from the table.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

no i have two pets before i am labeled an animal hater but where there is food - no. I hate this americanisation of our pet culture suddenly pets have become surrogate children and are pandered to at every opportunity. They are animals should be treated fairly and with kindness but seriously people need to get a grip they are not little people in fur coats. It does them no justice - and raises the ugly business of puppy farms for handbag dogs and designer dogs are slowly losing their function in life as working animals. It is totally unfair to ask a dog such as a husky to live their lives in a built up city - it just shows how far from reality people are when it comes to their "pets".

Nobody is talking about American handbag dogs, that stuff is just dumb. It's much more of a continental European thing that you'll see dogs in restaurants/bars/supermarkets and I'm all for it. It's quite common to see dogs in little Irish/English village pubs too.

As for large "working" dogs in confined spaces/busy cities completely agree but that's a separate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Allowed.
    Aloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I simply wouldn't shop anywhere that allowed pets in.

But but what about petmania :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

A clean and well behaved dog - yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

theteal wrote: »
    Some people are very precious when it comes to this question. I know a friends family who expected them to give the dog away because they've a baby on the way.....:confused:

I would be all for it. People need to stop being prissy about pets. I love being down the country and abroad where pets are allowed everywhere.

My only issue is that they obviously have to be well trained. I can picture another friends dog barking under a restaurant table because he wasn't getting attention/food. This would be an invitation to leave the premises.

I had a neighbour in Dublin who was pregnant and came in knocking at the door asking me to get our cat (healthy, wormed, well fed member of the family) put down as he might "hurt" her baby!

Naturally enough we told her where to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

i was in a cafe in Dublin recently and people brought a large Lassie type dog in. Dog was standing in the aisle blocking people as he was too big to sit under the table.

It seemed unfair on everyone trying to pass and seemed unfair on the dog as he just had to stand there while his owners ate. They were there for 40 mins at least.

Then some noises came from the cafe kitchen (i think someone dropped pots or something) and the dog started going insane barking - i nearly jumped out of my skin. Its not the context you expect to hear a dog wildly in, i nearly dropped my drink! A few others got a similar fright.

Then they left and there were Lassie hairs all over the floor. Lovely.I think they were very bad dog owners anyway and Lassie was just an accessory to them.

I am a huge animal lover, volunteer with an animal welfare group regularly and long time vegetarian but i dont like seeing animals in cafes/restaurants. I dont think its fair on the dog (its boring for them), there is a hygiene issue with hairs/slobber/potential poop/pee issues.

I dont see the issue with bringing your dog quickly into Spar or whatever if you are getting some milk and walking straight back out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Why do people feel the need to bring a dog into a shop/bar/restaurant in the first place?? Genuine question. Can they not leave it at home or in the car when they know they'll be visiting these places. I have a dog but he's left at home when I'm going out on sociable visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I voted yes but only mean for well behaved ones, obviously not some big snapping mud hound peeing everywhere.. It works well in other countries. Most people who would care enough to have their dog as a companion and want to take him/her with them tend to keep them clean, vaccinated and disease free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

While I adore dogs and wouldn't personally have any issue with it (apart from incidents like what's outlined above...), I'm inclined to say no in general, simply because not everyone likes dogs, and more than a few people are actually afraid of them. You should have a reasonable expectation to go in for a pint/coffee/sandwich and not be unexpectedly confronted by a dog.

Some places are known for being animal friendly which is nice. I love going into a bar and see a dog panned out by the fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Dirty scruffy bastards and their crusty owners shouldn't be allowed near a place selling or preparing food. These ****rs lick their own arseholes ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I never understand how dogs are part of lots of families - sleep in owners bed, hang out in their kitchen with no major consequences, etc. But then there are rulings stopping them being brought in to cafes or supermarkets. I really don't see the harm.

But then on the other hand there are people who are afraid of dogs or maybe allergic to them.

I do miss dogs in pubs. Ireland has gone very sterile. There always used to be an oul lad with a dog in most pubs. Not anymore. I think that is a shame.

Why do people feel the need to bring a dog into a shop/bar/restaurant in the first place?? Genuine question. Can they not leave it at home or in the car when they know they'll be visiting these places. I have a dog but he's left at home when I'm going out on sociable visits.

I don't like to leave him at home on his own as I am afraid he will be lonely.

I don't like to leave him at home on his own as I am afraid he will be lonely.

Do you take him everywhere??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

As long as it is just an oddball here and there who do it I don't mind too much, if everybody started bringing their pets to the shop/bank/cinema it would be mayhem!

Do you take him everywhere??

Pretty much. He goes to work with my husband every day. Cinema is about the only place he doesn't go with us.

We leave him outside the supermarket.

rgace wrote: »
    As long as it is just an oddball here and there who do it I don't mind too much, if everybody started bringing their pets to the shop/bank/cinema it would be mayhem!

There must be issues in my local bank with dogs. I was in the line for the counter when the assistant manager came running over to let me know my dog couldn't be there. I'm not too sure why. Must be some sort of H&S thing?

Pretty much. He goes to work with my husband every day. Cinema is about the only place he doesn't go with us.

We leave him outside the supermarket.

What does your husband work at? What does the dog do, where does he be during work?? Not being nosey, just wondering as in my job or my wife's we couldn't bring a dog.
    Growing up in the countryside we always had a dog, only time he ever came with us was if he needed to go to the vet. Often went away for the day and he'd still be there when we got home, jumping and lepping when we'd get back. It was his way of telling us he'd missed us, that he appreciated us.

• Advertisement

What does your husband work at? What does the dog do, where does he be during work?? Not being nosey, just wondering as in my job or my wife's we couldn't bring a dog.
    Growing up in the countryside we always had a dog, only time he ever came with us was if he needed to go to the vet. Often went away for the day and he'd still be there when we got home, jumping and lepping when we'd get back. It was his way of telling us he'd missed us, that he appreciated us.

He is self employed. Walks with the dog to the office (about 10 mins). Dog sleeps under his desk in his basket. Walks out the back door to do his business. Gets a walk in when my husband goes for morning tea and lunch, etc. Then some of the other staff might take him for a short walk during the day.
    No clients would be in the office area - they only go to the board room. Dog seems to be very much a part of the office environment with no issues (but then who is going to tell the boss they don't like the dog). He saunters around the place looking for pets.
    Think dogs in offices are becoming more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dog friendly pubs are quite popular in the UK.

They even have websites where you can locate a pub where your dog is welcome http://www.doggiepubs.org.uk/the_pubs.php

It usually works out fine and the dogs seem to enhance the pub experience for non-dog owners.

Food shops would be a different thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see no issue with the individual premises deciding. Just like anything else, if a customer brings a badly behaved dog they'll be asked to leave.

Shockingly what you find is that people with badly behaved dogs don't want to bring them to a cafe or supermarket either. Imagine that!

You see plenty of people walking around supermarkets whom I wouldn't trust. I'd let my dog lick my food before I let those dirty bastards breathe on it.

Not bothered if the dog isn't bothering me. First hint of any trouble and out you go.

NB in interests of clarity same applies for your kids, spouse, friends, whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No. It's unhygenic and lots of people don't like/ are afraid of dogs. Imagine having a rake of them in your local supermarket, pub or cafe barking at each other, peeing on the table legs and sniffing each others holes....ugh.

I prefer cats anyway, granted, but I wouldn't agree with them being allowed in places where other people eat, drink or shop either. Some people have serious allergies to pet hair, so it's a possible health and safety issue on top of everything else. Also, who wants to see a cat licking it's hoop or rubbing up against your leg whilst you're out trying to eat or enjoy a pint in peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't see any major issues but its just completely unnecessary really? Im sure the dog would much prefer be in a quiet bed in the kitchen at home rather than a crowded pub with people stepping on his tail

No. It's unhygenic and lots of people don't like/ are afraid of dogs. Imagine having a rake of them in your local supermarket, pub or cafe barking at each other, peeing on the table legs and sniffing each others holes....ugh.

I prefer cats anyway, granted, but I wouldn't agree with them being allowed in places where other people eat, drink or shop either. Some people have serious allergies to pet hair, so it's a possible health and safety issue on top of everything else. Also, who wants to see a cat licking it's hoop or rubbing up against your leg whilst you're out trying to eat or enjoy a pint in peace?

Well see if this was to be allowed the general behaviour of dogs in ireland would need to be much better. They would need to not do those things for it to work, and act like dogs you see in lots of cafes and bars across continental europe. They don't react to any other dogs in the restaurant, don't pee, don't beg, don't make any noise or move really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well see if this was to be allowed the general behaviour of dogs in ireland would need to be much better. They would need to not do those things for it to work, and act like dogs you see in lots of cafes and bars across continental europe. They don't react to any other dogs in the restaurant, don't pee, don't beg, don't make any noise or move really

I've been to a few European cities and can't say I've ever seen dogs (or cats) in any eating or drinking establishments I've ever frequented. Is it really that common?

I've been to a few European cities and can't say I've ever seen dogs (or cats) in any eating or drinking establishments I've ever frequented. Is it really that common?

Hmm maybe not cities but noticeably common in coastal towns/resorts around the med, spain italy south france

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If Ireland was to allow dogs into bars again. I don't know how it would work to be honest. I know in some country areas where a local might bring his dog but in the past dogs dogs belonged on the floor and they stayed their.Even the places where I see this happening the dog belong on the floor at home as well.
    Today people would want the dog everywhere and this is where I could see a problem arising.

Advertisement