Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think people should be allowed to bring dogs into shops/cafe/bar with them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think it's desperately unfair on everyone to bring a dog into a cafe, apart from the obvious smell the dogs can be a nuisance in the way, barking and frightening kids.

Personally if I were in a cafe with my kids and a dog was allowed in to disturb things I'd be asking the dog is removed or refusing to pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

_Brian wrote: »
    I think it's desperately unfair on everyone to bring a dog into a cafe, apart from the obvious smell the dogs can be a nuisance in the way, barking and frightening kids.

Personally if I were in a cafe with my kids and a dog was allowed in to disturb things I'd be asking the dog is removed or refusing to pay the bill.

I live in a dog free house and if I ever visit anybody with a house dog. I always find a real smell of dog. These houses and dogs would always be kept clean but the smell of dog always lingers. They tend to have a load of Yankee candles lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I do miss dogs in pubs. Ireland has gone very sterile. There always used to be an oul lad with a dog in most pubs. Not anymore. I think that is a shame.

Drinking in pubs all around Ireland for the last 25 years. Never once have I seen a dog in a pub.

Yet, you always seen a dog in the pub, and always with the same type of person.

Mad that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It works perfectly well in other parts of Europe. We Irish have a pretty ignorant view on how pets are treated.

Have posters here read "Do you think people should be allowed to bring wild animals into shops/cafe/bar with them?"

Frightening children, oh please.

There should be at least pet designated areas in restaurants for pets dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Yeah, and fuck those people with allergies too, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

How do people with allergies cope if they pass a dog on the street. Or sit in a car that a dog or cat has been in? Or talking to someone covered in pet hair? Genuine question to the person that said they're very allergic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How do people with allergies cope if they pass a dog on the street. Or sit in a car that a dog or cat has been in? Or talking to someone covered in pet hair? Genuine question to the person that said they're very allergic.

They probably get very sneeze and uncomfortable especially in the car situation.

Passing a dog in the street is very brief. And getting into cars where dogs have been does indeed cause problems for people I know with allergies and it's not pleasant. Ditto being near people covered in dog hairs. The people I know with allergies do what they can to minimise. But if they go into a restaurant and no pet is there currently, they might not know that a pet has been there, sit down and order and suddenly the eye-streaming starts.

Murrisk wrote: »
    Passing a dog in the street is very brief. And getting into cars where dogs have been does indeed cause problems for people I know with allergies and it's not pleasant. Ditto being near people covered in dog hairs. The people I know with allergies do what they can to minimise. But if they go into a restaurant and no pet is there currently, they might not know that a pet has been there, sit down and order and suddenly the eye-streaming starts.

Sounds like a pretty sucky allergy to have. Never known anyone to have it, although a cousin sneezes a bit with cats. I wonder is the rate of allergies in Ireland higher due to less exposure as a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I live in a dog free house and if I ever visit anybody with a house dog. I always find a real smell of dog. These houses and dogs would always be kept clean but the smell of dog always lingers. They tend to have a load of Yankee candles lighting.

Same.
    People with dogs/cats become blind to their smell. ANY house I visit that
    Has house dogs or cats smells musty and if dogs and cats. I appreciate the owner thinks this isn't the case but it is.
    Lighting candles just means that you really do know your house is smelly

• Advertisement

Sounds like a pretty sucky allergy to have. Never known anyone to have it, although a cousin sneezes a bit with cats. I wonder is the rate of allergies in Ireland higher due to less exposure as a child?

Who knows? Maybe but whatever caused them, they exist. Pondering how the allergy came about doesn't cure the allergy. My husband is allergic to some cats and will spend the full time he's in my parent's house with his eyes streaming and his nose running. Not all cats do this to him. He didn't grow up around cats so that might have something to do with it but whatever caused it, it doesn't matter, he has the allergy and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

_Brian wrote: »

I'd make sure not to visit The Fumbally, if I were you. It's dog central
    http://thefumbally.ie/

Who knows? Maybe but whatever caused them, they exist. Pondering how the allergy came about doesn't cure the allergy. My husband is allergic to some cats and will spend the full time he's in my parent's house with his eyes streaming and his nose running. Not all cats do this to him. He didn't grow up around cats so that might have something to do with it but whatever caused it, it doesn't matter, he has the allergy and that's that.

Allergies are pretty much the only reason I could see banning pets tbh. (Are cats on leashes a thing in Ireland?) I had a quick google, and I dunno how reliable the stats are because the source isn't given, but DSPCA says 15-20% of population is allergic. Super surprised it's that high. Another link says cat allergies are twice as common as dog allergies, but it's still much higher than I expected. 1 in 5 is problematic enough that I couldn't see many shop/restaurant/cafe owners doing it even if it was allowed.

Allergies are pretty much the only reason I could see banning pets tbh. (Are cats on leashes a thing in Ireland?) I had a quick google, and I dunno how reliable the stats are because the source isn't given, but DSPCA says 15-20% of population is allergic. Super surprised it's that high. Another link says cat allergies are twice as common as dog allergies, but it's still much higher than I expected. 1 in 5 is problematic enough that I couldn't see many shop/restaurant/cafe owners doing it even if it was allowed.

There also the problem of dogs just not getting on. I volunteered at an animal shelter for the summer and when dogs or cats arrived, we'd have to check that they got on OK with the dogs the walker would be bringing them out with. There wasn't enough volunteers to walk each dog separately so you'd usually have to bring two at a time. Some dogs just take an instant dislike to each other. Same with the cats in the cattery. There was a few common play areas but some cats couldn't be put in the same one together.

In a restaurant situation, I could see this causing a headache for owners. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned being a smoking areas where there were four dogs a few weeks back. It was a bit of a nightmare. Dogs barking at each other, dogs coming up cadging food whilst their owners were distracted and them all just generally milling around the place. I suppose the owners of the establishment could tell these people to leave but they probably wanted the money and I suppose it was outdoors and out of mind. But for my friends and me, it was a pain.

And then on top of that, the dander left behind by animals. My parent's cat died six months ago but for a while after his death, the dander was still causing issues for the Huz.

There's too many variables for it to work well. As for on the continent, how do we know if it's popular with non-pet owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Animals in cafes and restaurants the whole time on the continent. 2 euros for a coffee beside a dog, no problem. 30 euro for a meal beside poochie and I start having issues. I don't even mind the dog that much but why are you bringing it out to a meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Bringing dogs into restaurants and cafes is so common in Europe, I don't understand why Ireland has to be so different.
    As long as they are well behaved, I don't see the problem (the same rule should be applied to children). Maybe a notice up that says if the dog misbehaves, you'll be asked to leave (the same rule should be applied to children).
    I would love to be able to bring my dogs into places with me.

Instead, you are subjected to screaming children being ignored by their parents everywhere you go.
    Another thing you see all the time is children climbing up to maul exposed food, like the fresh bread section in shops and the salad bar - they're either dipping their hands in or coughing all over everything - while also being ignored by their parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

erica74 wrote: »
    Bringing dogs into restaurants and cafes is so common in Europe, I don't understand why Ireland has to be so different.
    As long as they are well behaved, I don't see the problem (the same rule should be applied to children). Maybe a notice up that says if the dog misbehaves, you'll be asked to leave (the same rule should be applied to children).

Instead, you are subjected to screaming children being ignored by their parents everywhere you go.
    Another thing you see all the time is children climbing up to maul exposed food, like the fresh bread section in shops and the salad bar - they're either dipping their hands in or coughing all over everything - while also being ignored by their parents.

Not to mention the kids that kneel up on their seats and stare at you for an hour and you feel obliged to smile at them. :mad:

Out of curiosity, why? (Specifically out to a meal)
    If your already out with the dog and decide last minute to grab a bite, I get that but to specifically plan to go for a meal and bring the dog? Do dogs enjoy eating out? Is it not a case of an exercise in restraint (all the lovely things to see and smell but I must remain calm) a bit akin to a husband going clothes shopping (unwillingly) with his wife?

fizzypish wrote: »
    If your already out with the dog and decide last minute to grab a bite, I get that but to specifically plan to go for a meal and bring the dog? Do dogs enjoy eating out? Is it not a case of an exercise in restraint (all the lovely things to see and smell but I must remain calm) a bit akin to a husband going clothes shopping (unwillingly) with his wife?

In my case it would be because the nearest nice café to me is 30 minutes drive away and there are lovely walks around it. So if I want to go for something to eat while I'm out I leave the dog behind which is a shame for her because she doesn't get to go on the walk with me or play in the river.

pilly wrote: »
    In my case it would be because the nearest nice café to me is 30 minutes drive away and there are lovely walks around it. So if I want to go for something to eat while I'm out I leave the dog behind which is a shame for her because she doesn't get to go on the walk with me or play in the river.

This makes sense to me. Cafes I have no problem with but I've been to proper sit down evening meals with a dog a table over. Its odd but the dog itself doesn't bother me but it being ok to bring it in without a good reason does.

• Advertisement

This makes sense to me. Cafes I have no problem with but I've been to proper sit down evening meals with a dog a table over. Its odd but the dog itself doesn't bother me but it being ok to bring it in without a good reason does.

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't really see a reason for bringing a dog out to a restaurant for dinner. If anything it would torment him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Drinking in pubs all around Ireland for the last 25 years. Never once have I seen a dog in a pub.

Yet, you always seen a dog in the pub, and always with the same type of person.

Mad that.

There is a pub in Mullingar that allows you to bring your dog... I have been in for a nice coffee after walking the canal with my husky... They have some water bowls for dogs that visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Well I didn't say specifically out to a meal and I wasn't talking about specifically planning to go out and bringing my dog with me.
    I'm talking about being out and wanting to stop in somewhere for something to eat or even just a coffee or like pilly mentioned, having cafes or small eateries near nice areas to walk your dog but not being able to use them.

I have been in a few different cities in Europe and it was especially commonplace to see older men and women, dining on their own, bring their dogs with them, probably for company.
    I remember being in Paris and going to the same little cafe two nights in a row for a few drinks and there was an old man there on his own with his dog (a beagle) sitting in the chair opposite him, snoozing while the old man ate his french onion soup (very cliche I know but it's the truth).
    And another story from Paris. I remember seeing a woman at the same cafe every morning (different cafe to the old man) eating breakfast with her dog on the floor beside her.
    When I think of older men and women and their dogs potentially being their only company, I just think, why not let them bring their pets with them but obviously, they have to be well behaved etc. However, I don't think it will ever happen in Ireland.

It's very common in the UK to see dogs in pubs, having been brought along by their owners to keep them company while they enjoy a pint or two and then stroll home together. I think that would be a nice thing to do but obviously, not all pubs would be suitable. I mean, I wouldn't bring my dog along to a pub that had music and dancing or anything like that.

................. do you think people should be allowed to bring their pet to the supermarket with them and rub them and touch food in the shop.............................................. Would this bother you or would you like to see an Ireland where you can bring a dog anywhere?......................

I've just spent two months in Austria, a very dog friendly place.
    Dogs are allowed in most hotel, restaurants and shopping malls.

Regarding the piece in bold. You seem blissfully unaware of the amount of nose pickers, ball bag scratchers, non hand washers and ass pickers that are in the general population and who visit shops.

Someone rubbing a dog and touching an apple you may buy is the least of your worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The last time i was in Paris, i was in a busy cafe and there was actual dog sh!t on the floor inside the cafe.

There also the problem of dogs just not getting on. I volunteered at an animal shelter for the summer and when dogs or cats arrived, we'd have to check that they got on OK with the dogs the walker would be bringing them out with. There wasn't enough volunteers to walk each dog separately so you'd usually have to bring two at a time. Some dogs just take an instant dislike to each other. Same with the cats in the cattery. There was a few common play areas but some cats couldn't be put in the same one together.

In a restaurant situation, I could see this causing a headache for owners. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned being a smoking areas where there were four dogs a few weeks back. It was a bit of a nightmare. Dogs barking at each other, dogs coming up cadging food whilst their owners were distracted and them all just generally milling around the place. I suppose the owners of the establishment could tell these people to leave but they probably wanted the money and I suppose it was outdoors and out of mind. But for my friends and me, it was a pain.

And then on top of that, the dander left behind by animals. My parent's cat died six months ago but for a while after his death, the dander was still causing issues for the Huz.

There's too many variables for it to work well. As for on the continent, how do we know if it's popular with non-pet owners?
    Yeah but well trained dogs shouldn't be reacting to other dogs in a restaurant, that's exactly the point. If the dog can't be there without barking or begging for food, they shouldn't be there and the owner or staff should have no problem asking them to leave. I've never seen dogs barking in restaurants, pubs or cafes on the continent. As I said earlier in the thread, that's generally because expected standard of training is higher here.

Your other point is more interesting. No idea how we know it's popular with non-pet owners, but presumably if it was enough of an issue there would be certain establishments that refuse dogs? Here it's assumed that you can bring your dog anywhere unless explicly stated, one example is graveyards don't allow animals. I haven't seen very many places with signs that no animals are allowed, so I guess it's not a major problem? Would be interesting to ask someone here with allergies how they cope though.

Yeah but well trained dogs shouldn't be reacting to other dogs in a restaurant, that's exactly the point. If the dog can't be there without barking or begging for food, they shouldn't be there and the owner or staff should have no problem asking them to leave. I've never seen dogs barking in restaurants, pubs or cafes on the continent. As I said earlier in the thread, that's generally because expected standard of training is higher here.

I think that's definitely part of it. Standards of training and socialisation of dogs is much lower here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,938 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Torn on this, I would like to see them more in pubs as the pub with a resident or a 'local' dog is dying out with OTT 'Elf n Safety.

On the other hand, a lot of dog owners here are lazy and irresponsible and would completely take the piss if given carte blanche to take their dogs wherever esp. when you have dogs running loose up and down the country chasing cars or sh1tting all over the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm undecided. On the whole I think Ireland is low down the list of dog friendly countries. I tend to go to places where dogs are allowed, as I like to spend as much time with her as I can. A dog's life is short and I am not going to leave her home every time I go out if I can help it.

That said, I appreciate (though don't fully understand) people who do not want dogs sitting up in their faces when they go out, and I think this should be respected. I don't have concerns about hygiene - I'd be more worried about staff not washing hands or food left out in the open to be breathed on and pawed (:D) by others, but that's me and I accept that others might be concerned about doggie germs :P

I'd like to see more of a balance - we could do with a few new places that we cold bring our dogs to, but overall I am happy to stick with the places where I know my dog will be treated like the beautiful, special little thing that she is :)

Incidentally, the Hilton Charlemont is dog friendly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It works perfectly well in other parts of Europe. We Irish have a pretty ignorant view on how pets are treated.

Those cosmopolitan Europeans are of course much better.
    Watching your step on city streets lest you spend the rest of the night trying to get the stench of dogshyte off your shoes is much better.
    Not that it doesn't happen here as well with owners who can't give a toss.
    Have posters here read "Do you think people should be allowed to bring wild animals into shops/cafe/bar with them?"

There should be at least pet designated areas in restaurants for pets dogs.

Seriously why do you need to bring your pet out to eat with you ?
    Are you going to order them something off the menu ?

You do know the difference between a human and a dog, right ?

Lot of things are common in Europe that are not common here.
    Doesn't necessarily make them better.
    For instance in France lots of people would gladly eat Black Beauty whereas here that would be seriously frowned upon.

And if you extend the argument further lots of people in other parts of the world would see your lovely pooches as something that could be on the dinner menu.

I am of opinion that I don't see why other people seem to think everyone has to put up with their pets or indeed their unruly kids.

It is like the fact some people think it is ok to bring round their pets when visiting.
    They are your pets not mine.

Advertisement