Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think people should be allowed to bring dogs into shops/cafe/bar with them?

Options
  • 28-05-2017 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not talking about guide dogs or assistant dogs now but do you think people should be allowed to bring their pet to the supermarket with them and rub them and touch food in the shop. Would this bother you or would you like to see an Ireland where you can bring a dog anywhere?
    I grew up with always being told to wash my hands after touching the cat/dog before I went to do anything else. So, I don't know would it be for me to be honest.

Do you think people should be allowed to bring dogs into shops/cafe//bars with them? 114 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 114 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm not talking about guide dogs or assistant dogs now but do you think people should be aloud to bring their pet to the supermarket with them and rub them and touch food in the shop. Would this bother you or would you like to see an Ireland where you can bring a dog anywhere?
    I grew up with always being told to wash my hands after touching the cat/dog before I went to do anything else. So, I don't know would it be for me to be honest.

I am definitely not in favour of people bringing dogs into shops and then rubbing them and touching the food.

Is that a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Dogs? No. Cats? Yes, because they're cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Any mongo that needs to bring fifi anywhere where they're not supposed to be is the highest class of tosspot as far as I'm concerned

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I simply wouldn't shop anywhere that allowed pets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Aloud you say? Girls Aloud? Me being the meat in a Nadine Coyle / Cheryl whatsername sandwich? It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous

• Advertisement

Aloud you say? Girls Aloud? Me being the meat in a Nadine Coyle / Cheryl whatsername sandwich? It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous

Jaysus them's good pills

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

uch wrote: »

Jaysus them's good pills

Are you buying? Because I'm selling baby

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Somebody has been hanging out in the animal and pet issues forum this evening methinks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

No thanks, yuck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

smunchkins wrote: »
    Somebody has been hanging out in the animal and pet issues forum this evening methinks :rolleyes:

correct!
    I think the dog who got left outside the shop came on here to vote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If well disciplined and kept under control then shops could be okay, but not areas where people eat for me anyway.

Would you have issues with multiple dogs in confined space being aggressive to each other?

As for rubbing and touching food, not nice, but when you think about it, anyone in a shop could have had there hands on pets, dirt or up there arse:o before they got there...maybe best not to think, but I think I'll be washing fruit and veg more often now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,209 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

cml387 wrote: »
    I am definitely not in favour of people bringing dogs into shops and then rubbing them and touching the food.

Is that a thing?

Probably. I'd imagine a lot of them rub and pet the dog outside while tying it up and then still go inside and touch the food. You've been eating it for years and I'm assuming you're in reasonably good health.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

They're dirty c?nts if they do that,

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Sure what about adding a few more animals in to the poll?!
    According to this
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/are-we-too-clean-for-our-own-good.aspx
    "The theory is that farms (particularly farm animals) increase exposure to different types of good and bad germs, which stimulate the immune system and reduce the risk that someone will develop an allergy."
    So we need to get a few sheep and pigs running about all the shops so everyone has a nice up and running immune system for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭buried

Dogs should be mandatory in bars, be a lot better than letting in those f**king phones everybody be glawping into like a drooling moron " Look ive made me face into a plug on me phone" F**k off

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No....anyone who thinks it reasonable to bring their dog/cat into a shop selling food needs their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I'd have a pack of dogs in a pub a lot sooner than a pack of children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I love dogs, but no. They should not be allowed to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

PucaMama wrote: »
    I'd have a pack of dogs in a pub a lot sooner than a pack of children

After seeing the shower of feril animals* that were let run riot in my local Aldi today I'm almost inclined to agree with you. But I don't think a shop, pub or restaurant (except perhaps outside seating areas) is any place for a dog.

*of the human child variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I see no issue with a bar. Sure a lot of bars I have don't know what a mop is. IMO there is no hygiene concern when the dog is cleaner than the floor

Dogs are allowed in restaurants and cafes etc abroad as there is special rules to allow it ie the doors going into the kitchen are designed not to let allergens into the kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I would have no problems with dog being allowed in shops/cafes/bars etc..

My Dad owns a bar in France and his dog pretty much lives in the bar. Customers bring their dogs all the time. No one bats an eyelid.

I don't understand some people's obsession with hygiene. Especially around pet dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

YEA id big man to dogs everywhere with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I would have no problems with dog being allowed in shops/cafes/bars etc..

My Dad owns a bar in France and his dog pretty much lives in the bar. Customers bring their dogs all the time. No one bats an eyelid.

I don't understand some people's obsession with hygiene. Especially around pet dogs.

I think the owner's dog is fair enough, as the dog would be used to being there and used to all sorts of strangers coming and going. It's difficult to predict how other dogs will behave though.

I don't have a hygiene issue at all as I'm not precious, but I think it would cause problems in terms of behaviour.

Having said that, in my experience young children are a lot more annoying than pets when I'm sitting in a restaurant or cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think it should be up to the individual business to decide, and if it attracts / scares off customers, thems the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Some people are very precious when it comes to this question. I know a friends family who expected them to give the dog away because they've a baby on the way.....:confused:

I would be all for it. People need to stop being prissy about pets. I love being down the country and abroad where pets are allowed everywhere.

My only issue is that they obviously have to be well trained. I can picture another friends dog barking under a restaurant table because he wasn't getting attention/food. This would be an invitation to leave the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Yeah, I love to drop a fork and have some Doberman/Pitbull cross go berserk.
    I know they wouldn't hurt a fly, but last time I looked I wasn't a fly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'm kind of torn on this. While I'd love to be able to bring my dog into some places with me I understand some people don't like dogs.

I find a bar with a dog wandering around is a very relaxing place but would it be as relaxing if there was 5 or 6 dogs? Maybe not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

diomed wrote: »
    Yeah, I love to drop a fork and have some Doberman/Pitbull cross go berserk.
    I know they wouldn't hurt a fly, but last time I looked I wasn't a fly.

You'd be safe enough the Doberman/Pitbull would have his muzzle on and his napkin in place for the drool when he sees your big juicy steak ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I'm guessing restaurants and cafes would have to have the same hygiene standards as on the continent (where animals are allowed in) so if that was the case, then yeah, absolutely. As for bars and places that don't prepare food, then I don't see a problem with it.

Of course, the dog would have to be well-behaved and not annoying anyone. Maybe some kind of rule that the owner could be asked to leave in a case of a rowdy dog? This would apply to cats (and should apply to (human) kids).

Advertisement