Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you manage your transfers well this season?

Options
  • 15-05-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Was just looking at the overall standings,the lad top of World listings has made 40 transfers so far and tended to make at most 2 every couple of weeks so would have had very few hits,he has around 105 m TV.

I feel I made too many transfers this season that I had to reverse soon afterwards as they didn't work out,often for hits.Am on 65 transfers now!....had to WC early so built up decent TV of around 106m .....am currently 148k in World which I'm happy with as I had horrendous run over Xmas time.

So are you happy with your transfers this season or what would you change for next year?

Current top 5 in World all made between 40 and 45 transfers so that must be the magic figure:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Need more wildcards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭dahat

90 transfers...OR 100k and have 1 cash league sewn up...

Always have and always will take hits when it suits.

It's the one part of my season I'm unhappy about. So much so that's its top of my list of 'next season fpl' and that's make less transfers and stop taking hits.

I've made 62 but due to an effort in discipline I've made a lot less over the last 8-10 GW's.

Next season I will try and treat them like gold from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

KevIRL wrote: »
    Need more wildcards
    You mean... 2 per GW :p?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

51 transfers made and 10,500 OR. Usually make a lot of transfers in the first half of the season and ease up a bit in second half.

For the most part happy enough with my transfers. Not all of them worked out, but that's always going to be the way unless you get extremely lucky.
    You can't legislate for the likes of getting in Hazard a week before a dgw with 3 easy games and getting a return of 8 pts (probably not the best example, he could easily have been left on the bench for tonight's match)

Of course there was the odd rush of blood to the head, making transfers that you almost instantly regret. Gundogan and Oirigi will most likely not be in my team again any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

51 transfers made and 10,500 OR. Usually make a lot of transfers in the first half of the season and ease up a bit in second half.

For the most part happy enough with my transfers. Not all of them worked out, but that's always going to be the way unless you get extremely lucky.
    You can't legislate for the likes of getting in Hazard a week before a dgw with 3 easy games and getting a return of 8 pts (probably not the best example, he could easily have been left on the bench for tonight's match)

Of course there was the odd rush of blood to the head, making transfers that you almost instantly regret. Gundogan and Oirigi will most likely not be in my team again any time soon.

Gundogan and Iheanacho 2 of my worst transfers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Gundogan and Iheanacho 2 of my worst transfers!

Thanks for the reminder. Had forgot I transferred in Iheanacho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

I've made 71 transfers and am currently ranked 7k.

I often take a -4 to upgrade one player and downgrade another to fund it.
    Bringing in the right cheap player dictates if the hit is succesful.
    Sometimes it works (Son, King) and sometimes it doesn't (JRod, Stanislas)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I've made 49, been fairly lucky avoiding injuries. Patience is the key to FPL

• Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

61 transfers, 5k in the world. Don't agree with any of the accepted wisdom in terms of hits. Hits are a real asset if you're good at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Have made 43 so far with OR ranking inside 250. I found the key this year was not overreacting to a player having one good match & transferring him in. And alternatively not disposing of a player after 1/2 poor games. I banked quite a bit during the season and was able to freshen up the team with 2 free transfers or a small hit for 3 transfers, allowing me to rejig the squad sufficiently.

Simple things like not getting rid of Alonso after a couple of blanks helped me greatly. Obvious he was a magnet for points and a season keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

42 transfers made. Been a few really bad ones in there that I regret but mostly have gone OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

CSF wrote: »
    61 transfers, 5k in the world. Don't agree with any of the accepted wisdom in terms of hits. Hits are a real asset if you're good at them.

What's the accepted wisdom in terms of hits?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What's the accepted wisdom in terms of hits?
    'Hits are evil, should be avoided where possible' etc. The reality of the situation is that a hit that leads to you scoring better than you would have otherwise done, is a win. One that leads to you scoring worse is a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

76 Transfers (so far) OR 24K

In fairness at this stage an extra 20 points (5 less hits) would drive me up the table a lot.

So despite my best intentions at the start of the season I didn't call quits on value chasing in time. Will have to work on that next year.

Depending on how the rest of the DGW and GW 38 goes I might squeak into the top 10k but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just the 38 transfers so far for me, sitting at 1.7k in OR.

I don't like taking hits, I have taken 20 points worth of hits this season, which is about average for me. I usually take hits only when forced into them by a spate of injuries or to cover a blank GW.

The OP looked at the top few teams in the world, but that's a flawed sample pool as to be that high in the rankings, you will have made the right decision more often than not, and so you won't need as many hits to correct your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Generally no, felt I was too rash sometimes with transfers, 53 overall and only sitting inside top200k.

Started off well inside top 50k after 7 GW's and then a mixture of bad luck, wrong transfers seen me plummet to where I am now.

WC didn't go according to plan in Jan, slight increase but after I fell again.

Already looking forward to next season..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Definitely not...56 transfers so far.

It's my second season playing (finished at 49K last year) so don't have a defined strategy/style yet.

From memory, most of the hits didn't really work out (at least immediately)....and my stubbornness regarding certain players was costly too eg. I had Eriksen for the first 8 GW's when he contributed 1 assist or something, then failed to sign him back when he hit form. Also went with Azpi over Alonso earlier on and really should have switched earlier than I did.

Although the biggest mistake I made was over-planning for the Blank GW....I actually did quite well once it came around but lost so much ground leading up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Currently in the top 5k. 42 total transfers, which include 8 hits.

Took one -8 and six -4s at various stages.

I'm generally anti-hit and will only take one to bring in a player for the long term. I'm not a fan of taking a hit for a player just for one good fixture - I'm definitely a bandwagon sceptic unless its a player with a proven track record. This helped me avoid the Gundogan 'unpleasantness'

I've always played the same way (in fact I think 8 hits is an all time high for me) but it tends to work for me.

I think hits can work if its for players you plan to keep long term (6-8 weeks) , but some people can over do it just to get in the shiny new toy that has to go in the garbage soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

52 transfers. Awful year, 900K overall, will finish sub 2000 for the first time in ages. My downfall was probably wildcarding too soon in the first half of the season, and too late in the second half of the season. Never really got rolling between Sept and Apr and I should have just taken hits or wildcarded to get back on track. Instead I banked on saving the Wildcard for the DGW and it just doesn't seem to have worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Could not agree more with this.

If you had a shít season and took a lot of hits it it's because you could consistently picked the wrong players, not because you took a load of hits.

Make the right transfer decisions more often than not and you'll not need to take as many hits but used wisely they can also correct the mistakes you do make as well as adjust your team for the better at crucial times.

59 transfers. Top 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

'Hits are evil, should be avoided where possible' etc. The reality of the situation is that a hit that leads to you scoring better than you would have otherwise done, is a win. One that leads to you scoring worse is a loss.

And one that breaks even and gets you a player you want long term, or gets rid of dead wood, in an extra free transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

45 Transfers

I feel so very dirty having taken so few hits but look at where I'm ranked.

I certainly don't believe fewer hits makes for a better rank. It all boils down to making the right decision and that could either be to take a hit or 3 or 0.

A safety first approach has been my mantra this season, just to see if I could do it. Diego Costa has been involved in 4 of my hits this season either buying or selling and he did not represent good value for money in those dealings.

If you bring the right players in at the right time then great, you need less points hits but if you don't and need to rectify the situation then you need to take that hit.

The best/luckiest decision maker in a year wins the game. Chances are they'll need less transfers because they got things right. Every season is different and constraining yourself is ultimately going to cost you just for the sake of constraint.

I feel my decision making has been paired back this year, deliberately. I did the sensible thing most of the time apart from the Christmas period which remains my biggest problem season upon season. I just can't get that period right even with my sensible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

44 transfers 124k. Stuck with too many players too long.

Main league winner 85 transfers 24k currently. The amount of times I'm facing 4-5 players in form at home against teams out of form and delivering points was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

56 transfers

72K at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

45 transfers, 12, 4 point hits on transfers. 500 overall.

Worth taking hits for players getting long term injuries and to build up team value early in a season when there is a lot more active players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

44 transfers
    60,260 position

My first season playing so no real gameplan, read a lot on here and a lot on fantasy football scout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭bantee

45 transfers and ranked 18k overall, probably my best season to date, with thanks to this forum too.
    King and Alonso key players for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

49 transfers plus one probable in GW38 for a nice round 50. OR 30K.
    Took two minus eights, both for double game weeks.
    Overall not happy with them. Couple of times I moved early to avoid a price rise and the player got injured.
    So the lesson learned was must be more patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

58 transfers so far. Loves me a good transfer. Amazing because in the first 15-20 weeks I barely took any hits. Second half of the season has been all over the place really, but I've always maintained a top 20k OR place. At 13,333 now, but have blown up in a couple of money leagues I could have well won or got a nice place in. Don't see any harm in transfers, or even many of them for hits. I do think though that chasing price rises a lot can lead to trouble and will wreck your head. This happened more than it should have to me this season.

Advertisement