Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Championship TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The GAA Championships coming soon. Ha ! What a joke.

No lads, it is coming TODAY but in typical piss poor RTE fashion, there is sweet feck all on the telly !

In properly ran sports, the start of the champioship starts with a bit of a bang and razamatazz and wall to wall coverage & not the damp squib that RTE and the GAA seem to be happy with, year in and year out. Utter jokeshop !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The GAA Championships coming soon. Ha ! What a joke.

No lads, it is coming TODAY but in typical piss poor RTE fashion, there is sweet feck all on the telly !

In properly ran sports, the start of the champioship starts with a bit of a bang and razamatazz and wall to wall coverage & not the damp squib that RTE and the GAA seem to be happy with, year in and year out. Utter jokeshop !

tech the championships started on the 23rd April when the Leinster Senior Hurling round robin started and the lower tier hurling championships are at the semi final stages. Of course New York vs Sligo is tonight. I imagine a lot of hangers on in the GAA are gone to NY for the weekend

Yeah, I know what is on tonight. That is my point.

Yeah, I know what is on tonight. That is my point.

true they could of done the championship launch tonight and show highlights of the weekends games too.

There is some sort preview show streaming live on the Sunday Game's Facebook page. Whoop dee bleeding doo !

Can you imagine the Six Nations, or the Heineken Cup, or the Premiership, or the World Cup, having no live telly coverage on the first day of their championships? It is such a shame that RTE have exclusive rights to the free to air summer games and, that well intentioned, but out of date dinosaurs like Marty Morrisey are in charge of their GAA department. It is more than time to get someone young and vibrant in, to clean house and drag the station kicking and screaming into the 21st century world of broadcasting. It'll never happen now, more's the pity !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Milivojevic

Great. Another season of looking at Michael Lyster's suits from 1945 with his permanent grin on his face. We'll also be bombarded with the biggest fool to ever hold an RTE microphone, Marty Morrissey. His knowledge of modern GAA borders on embarrassing.

Meanwhile, Ger Canning will still be looking for latitude, whatever that is. Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane will also be along to say something controversial to keep themselves relevant.

Token female, Jacqui Hurley, will accompany the lads throughout the year, ye know, just to keep the whole thing modern.

And last but not least, Des Cahill, will be falling asleep if "da Dubs" aren't the topic of conversation.

Here's to another 5 months of amateurs giving it their all. Best of luck to footballers and hurlers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Great. Another season of looking at Michael Lyster's suits from 1945 with his permanent grin on his face. We'll also be bombarded with the biggest fool to ever hold an RTE microphone, Marty Morrissey. His knowledge of modern GAA borders on embarrassing.

Meanwhile, Ger Canning will still be looking for latitude, whatever that is. Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane will also be along to say something controversial to keep themselves relevant.

Token female, Jacqui Hurley, will accompany the lads throughout the year, ye know, just to keep the whole thing modern.

And last but not least, Des Cahill, will be falling asleep if "da Dubs" aren't the topic of conversation.

Here's to another 5 months of amateurs giving it their all. Best of luck to footballers and hurlers too.

You also have Joanne Cantwell, Clare McNamara and Brenda Donoghue so I wouldn't insult her as a 'token female'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Is the New York game available to be watched anywhere? Hardly I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Absolute buzzing for the hurling analysis. A quick insight on the key phrases:

Intensity
    Passion
    Bang over the bar
    Teams waiting in the long grass
    Davy being Fitz being Davy, he lives and breeds the game
    There wasn't much in it, it was just the two teams being physical (someone could have been seriously injured from a really bad tackle)
    Cody will pull a rabbit out of the hat

Not to mention John mullanes new love for Galway hurling, thought after the league final he was going to give their physical trainer the freedom of Galway

I'll leave the brilliant football anyalysis to another time

The theme tune is also yada yada, whole thing needs a complete revamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Is the New York game available to be watched anywhere? Hardly I suppose.
    no, never is.

was on ocean fm online though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The first month is a bit Ulster heavy. Is Down v Armagh on June 4 really more interesting than Louth v Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I've no issues with Michael Lyster.

Other than that, I agree completely. It drives me crazy that the likes of Marty Morrissey, Ger Canning etc. are on air, butchering the coverage week-in and week-out. Are expectations for GAA broadcast so low that that is the best we can aspire to? It's dire stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

iDave wrote: »
    The first month is a bit Ulster heavy. Is Down v Armagh on June 4 really more interesting than Louth v Meath?

RTE love the Ulster championship games as the BBC have to organise the full OBU coverage and RTE can piggyback.
    Meanwhile RTE can send one man with a handheld camera to the Louth/Meath game for highlights and have fulfilled their obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

RTE love the Ulster championship games as the BBC have to organise the full OBU coverage and RTE can piggyback.
    Meanwhile RTE can send one man with a handheld camera to the Louth/Meath game for highlights and have fulfilled their obligations.

Meanwhile we'll be told Ulster is special and anyone can win it at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Meanwhile we'll be told Ulster is special and anyone can win it at any time.
    it is special as they dictate the entire football and hurling all Ireland schedule with their drawn out provincial football run off (max 1 game per week, so quarter final round which could be played on one weekend, or maybe more realistically 2, takes a month!), which in turn leaves very little wiggle room to have a properly organised club championship around the inter county scene.
    (the length of the overall championship season from national leagues to all ireland finals is determined by the longest un-modifiable, sacrosanct, provincial competition, which is Ulster football)

that though is coming to an end seemingly next year with the tighter championship schedule, and with a potential hurling round robin if a special congress happens in the autumn, the TV coverage will likely be less ulster and less football biased from next year onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Not having the Clare vs Limerick game on the june bank holiday weekend is a bit of a loss to them. Local derby with new management teams in both counties would have been nice but instead big bad sky have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Full list of RTE games
    The Sunday Game Live - Fixtures 2017

All games live on RTÉ2

Saturday 20 May 7pm Monaghan v Fermanagh (USFC Preliminary Round)
    Sunday 21 May 2pm Mayo v Sligo (CSFC Quarter final)
    Sunday 21 May 4pm Cork v Tipperary (MSHC Quarter Final)
    Sunday 28 May 2pm Derry v Tyrone (USFC Quarter final)
    Sunday 28 May 4pm Dublin v Galway (LSHC Quarter Final)
    Sunday 4 June 2pm Down v Armagh (USFC Quarter final)
    Saturday 10 June 5pm Cork/Waterford v Tipperary (MSFC semi final)
    Sunday 11 June 2pm Cavan v Fermanagh/Monaghan (USFC Quarter final)
    Sunday 11 June 4pm Galway v Mayo/Sligo (CSFC Semi Final)
    Sunday 18 June 2pm Derry/Tyrone v Donegal/Antrim (USFC Semi-Final)
    Sunday 18 June 4pm Waterford v Cork/Tipperary (MSHC Semi Final)
    Saturday 24 June 7pm Down / Armagh v Cavan / Monaghan / Fermanagh (USFC Semi-Final)
    Sunday 25 June 4pm Carlow / Wexford / Dublin v Offaly / Westmeath (LSFC Semi Final)
    Saturday 1 July 5.00pm, QUALIFIER
    Sunday 2 July 2pm Munster Football Final
    Sunday 2 July 4pm Leinster Hurling Final
    Saturday 8 July 5.00pm, QUALIFER
    Sunday 9 July 2pm Connacht Football Final
    Sunday 9 July 4pm Munster Hurling Final
    Sunday 16 July 2pm Ulster Football Final
    Sunday 16 July 4pm Leinster Football Final
    Sunday 23 July 2pm All Ireland Hurling Quarter Final
    Sunday 23 July 4pm All Ireland Hurling Quarter Final
    Sunday 30 July 2pm All Ireland Football Quarter Final
    Sunday 30 July 4pm All Ireland Football Quarter Final
    Sunday 6 August 3.30pm All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final
    Sunday 13 August 3.30pm All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final
    Sunday 20 August 3.30pm All Ireland Football Semi-Final
    Sunday 27 August 3.30pm All Ireland Football Semi-Final
    Sunday 3 September 3.30pm All Ireland Hurling Final
    Sunday 17 September 3.30pm All Ireland Football Final

And the pitiful thing is that the quality of BBC NI camerwork/match direction is so dire that shots of the crowd and shots of the sidelines seem to take priority over the actual action of the game.

Realbhoy wrote: »
    Not having the Clare vs Limerick game on the june bank holiday weekend is a bit of a loss to them. Local derby with new management teams in both counties would have been nice but instead big bad sky have it

I would say RTE choose the Down v Armagh game, because they can simply use the BBC NI feed. If they had the Clare v Limerick game they would have to film it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I know he's a bit of a sap away from the microphone but Marty Morrissey shouldn't be thrown in with the rest of the commentary dross. Himself and Maloney make it at least bearable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I would say RTE choose the Down v Armagh game, because they can simply use the BBC NI feed. If they had the Clare v Limerick game they would have to film it themselves.

Sky sports have exclusive rights to that game which got pointed out to people not living on planet mars.:(

What is the Sky deal this year? I assume they have exclusive rights to Tipp and Dublin's first games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

corny wrote: »
    I know he's a bit of a sap away from the microphone but Marty Morrissey shouldn't be thrown in with the rest of the commentary dross. Himself and Maloney make it at least bearable!

I think he's woeful. Shows favouritism towards certain players, barely demonstrates an understanding of what is a good score/pass/piece of skill, he can actually sound bored if he's not commentating on the big teams in big matches etc.

Maybe as an interviewer he's fine, but as a commentator I'd rather just listen to the crowd sounds. He adds nothing to the games.
    Darragh Maloney is grand imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Agree that Marty doesn't deserve such negativity, I don't think he is actually too bad of a commentator. Ger Canning however is a poor commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Cyril was talking about how the Limerick hurlers need to return to their "hip n whip, move it quick" traditional style a few weeks back, woeful scutter to pass off as analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I can't find a link to any Sky Sports fixture list. Is the Clare v Limerick their first game anyone?

Sky Sports full GAA 2017 fixture list:

Exclusive to Sky Sports

Saturday, 3 June

7.00pm Dublin v Carlow/Wexford (LSFC QF)

Sunday, 4 June

4.00pm Clare v Limerick (MSHC Semi-Final)

Saturday, 10 June

7.00pm Kilkenny v Wexford/Group Team (LSHC Semi-Final)

Saturday, 17 June

7.00pm Kildare/Laois/Longford v Meath/Louth Wicklow (LSFC Semi-Final)

Exclusive to Sky Sports

Saturday, 1 July

7.00pm Football or Hurling Qualifier

Saturday, 8 July

7.00pm Football or Hurling Qualifier

Saturday, 15 July

5.00pm Football Qualifier Rd 3b

7.00pm Football Qualifier Rd 3b

Saturday, 22 July

5.00pm Football Qualifier Rd 4a

7.00pm Football Qualifier Rd 4a

Saturday, 29 July

5.00pm Football Qualifier Rd 4b

7.00pm Football Qualifier Rd 4b

Exclusive to Sky Sports

Saturday, 5 August

4.00pm All-Ireland Football Quarter-Final

6.00pm All-Ireland Football Quarter-Final

Semi Final & Final

Sunday, 6 August

3.30pm All-Ireland Hurling Semi-Final

Sunday, 13 August

3.30pm All-Ireland Hurling Semi-Final

Sunday, 20 August

3.30pm All-Ireland Football Semi-Final

Sunday, 27 August

3.30pm All-Ireland Football Semi-Final

Sunday, 3 September

3.30pm All-Ireland Hurling Final

Sunday, 17 September

3.30pm All-Ireland Football Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So Sky are launching their coverage with Dublin V Carlow or Wexford? Their marketing people must be drooling, what a farce the whole cship set up is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

So Sky are launching their coverage with Dublin V Carlow or Wexford? Their marketing people must be drooling, what a farce the whole cship set up is

Doesn't seem like a great one to start with, but it will actually be the best of the early Leinster round games. If Wexford win which is the most likely it will be a sell out game in Wexford Park.
    Even if Carlow win, it will be a packed Portlaoise for that game. So for once Skys 1st game will be in a ground that is almost sold out.
    Every year they broadcast from half empty places, looks bad. The Carlow/Wexford v Dublin game will be good tv with a massive crowd & hopefully Wexford/Carlow can make it competitive for as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Stevecw wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like a great one to start with, but it will actually be the best of the early Leinster round games. If Wexford win which is the most likely it will be a sell out game in Wexford Park.
    Even if Carlow win, it will be a packed Portlaoise for that game. So for once Skys 1st game will be in a ground that is almost sold out.
    Every year they broadcast from half empty places, looks bad.
    The Carlow/Wexford v Dublin game will be good tv with a massive crowd & hopefully Wexford/Carlow can make it competitive for as long as possible.
    Ya, fair point. Forgot it wouldnt be in Croker

New theme tune for SG is cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I really hate how cynical the analysis on RTE is, if they thought this game was such a foregone conclusion why aren't they showing one of the more competitive games in Leinster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

thelad95 wrote: »
    I really hate how cynical the analysis on RTE is, if they thought this game was such a foregone conclusion why aren't they showing one of the more competitive games in Leinster?

It's an interesting point. We do know that hat games involving the big teams are invariably one sided this time of year and you may get a better game in a less high profile fixture

But which Leinster championship game would you have picked

Laois v Longford or Carlow v Wexford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Darren Maloney is very good but Marty,well the less said the better.

It's an interesting point. We do know that hat games involving the big teams are invariably one sided this time of year and you may get a better game in a less high profile fixture

But which Leinster championship game would you have picked

Laois v Longford or Carlow v Wexford ?

Carlow v Wexford probably would have invoked some curiosity given that the winner was destined to face Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

C__MC wrote: »
    New theme tune for SG is cringe.

It's the exact same arrangement that's been used since 2008?

I think he meant the one they used last night featuring the Artane Boys Band, marching down Jones Rd to kick off the new season of TSG broadcasts. Cue oh so hilarious hijinks from Marty Morrissey - naturally - stealing someones trombone. :rolleyes:

Cringe is being kind.

I think he meant the one they used last night featuring the Artane Boys Band, marching down Jones Rd to kick off the new season of TSG broadcasts. Cue oh so hilarious hijinks from Marty Morrissey - naturally - stealing someones trombone. :rolleyes:

Cringe is being kind.

Yes that one - was also used today

Not being used for the evening show. Thank fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I'm very surprised that Martin Carney, or any commentator, is allowed to say things like ''this is awful to watch''. He dropped it in the middle of the Fer V Mon match yesterday evening when the game was still quite competitive. If I was an advertiser or producer I'd be furious. You're essentially telling viewers to turn off. Eir come with a variety of their own faults but it's refreshing at least that pointlessly cynical comments such as ''this is appalling viewing'' are absent. I guess it's because they can't afford to have viewers turn off.

Why not switch ''boring'' with ''ineffectual running'' or ''awful to watch'' with ''Monaghan are in a spell of making redundant passes which are leading to little to no forward progression'' or some such. Anything but announcing your state of boredom and I don't give a **** if it's about calling it as they see it. The game and its amateur athletes need praise and fair feedback, not proclamations like ''the handpass is the disease crippling the modern game like a nondiscriminatory cancer racing to squeeze the life from its host''.

Another thing is the bizarre language being bandied about. I think it was Seamus Mc Enaney who said that the goals ''killed'' his team. Why would you publicly declare your team as being ''killed''. Killing happens in conflict zones, disputed gangland territories and the like. I might be over thinking this point though.

• Advertisement

I instantly mute whenever Martin Carney is on, they probably play his commentary clips in Guantanamo Bay as a form of torture. What's worse is that if Donegal or Mayo are being shown you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll be covering it.

I agree with the above poster as well, how are they not pulled up on slamming their own spectacle. They spend all week advertising their coverage, then the commentary team complain about how awful a spectacle it is, at half time, brolly and Spillane lament for the olden days and throw 'awful' and 'containment' and 'damage limitation' around.

How would any of the above maintain the casual viewers attention? It was the exact same today, Sligo actually made a good fist of it and in the end the scoreline was very flattering to Mayo. Mayo looked dreadfully undercooked for supposed all Ireland contenders, yet neither Marty nor Dessie had a positive thing to say about Sligo.

Take for example Sky Sports coverage of the premier league. Throughout the season they are obliged to show every team a minimum number of times which means at times they will have to show games which they know by their own admission are utter dross. Take for example, Middlesborough v Leicester which they showed on New Years Day this year when two struggling sides played out a horrific 0-0 draw in front of a hungover crowd. Yet still the commentators will not complain about the awful spectacle it is because they know that if they do, people will inevitably flick away from it.

Also, I heard Martin Carney use a phrase last night that Fermanagh had lost 'a bit of the jizz from their play'. Now I don't know what context he could possibly mean that in but a lot of people might take the meaning of that word slightly differently. If anything it just perfectly sums up how out of touch he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Martin Carney should be binned

the negative analysis is just car crash stuff. Brolly is a pain to listen to
    in that Sligo game there was some great points kicked from out the field by Sligo, but it as all about how easy it was for Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rte coverage is easily the worst of what's available. I was able to watch the game on Saturday on the BBC and it was much better than you'd get from those clowns who spend the whole time moaning about everything. Sky is the best and bbc after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jayop wrote: »
    Rte coverage is easily the worst of what's available. I was able to watch the game on Saturday on the BBC and it was much better than you'd get from those clowns who spend the whole time moaning about everything. Sky is the best and bbc after them.
    That's why I won't agree with the hoo haa over
    Sky getting games
    RTÉ had it all there own way and got very very lazy . Punditry especially . Same old cliches trotted out
    They should have seen sky as a challenge and upped their game
    They haven't
    They deserve to lose more coverage imo unless they improve

Don't mind the negative commentary meself. Some games are hard to watch. I'd rather someone calls it like it is, than pretend enthusiasm that you can tell is fake from a mile away.

Carney should have been put out to pasture years ago, along with the rest of the aul lad brigade. They should bring in some fresh blood. However, there is not much chance of that happening with Marty Morrissey being the head GAA honcho in Montrose.

It's all well and good having the likes of Colm Cooper, Oisin McConville etc etc on the payroll, but they are being wasted, if all they do is the studio analysis. Get them doing the game commentary too. That would be great. Dessie Dolan seems to be the only recently retired player doing that (Lord knows why he in particular, got the nod, coz he's desperately dull) but there should be more of them over all.

Thought Cooper had a good debut last night. He was nervous, but that was understandable. It was great to see at least one Kerry man give a direct answer to a question & not start & end every question with that annoying "ah shure, d'ya know, lookit I suppose...." carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dessie Dolan seems to be the only recently retired player doing game commentary (Lord knows why, coz he's desperately dull) but there should be more of them.

Ah, that's a bit harsh. I think he's insightful. He voice mightn't help all right.
    Thought Cooper had a good debut last night. He was nervous, but that was understandable. It was great to see at least one Kerry man give a direct answer to a question & not start & end every question with that annoying "ah shure, d'ya know, lookit I suppose....carry on.

Fully agree.

so sky will be kicking off there 2017 GAA coverage with Dublin vs Carlow in the Leinster football QF on Sat 3 June

surly the Dubs will run riot but it will be good for everyone to do with Carlow GAA that there a live game on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It'll be nice to see Brendan Murphy on TV anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Cringe is being kind.

I just watched it on catch up. It's the original Jagerlatin, last heard at the start of a Sunday Game back in 2003! (though it was used to play out the highlights show last season). I presume it will be the modern arrangement going forward though.

Joanne Cantwell.

Where is drooling emoticon when you need one....

(Probably get banned now!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement