Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 Championship TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

New theme tune for SG is cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I really hate how cynical the analysis on RTE is, if they thought this game was such a foregone conclusion why aren't they showing one of the more competitive games in Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

thelad95 wrote: »
    I really hate how cynical the analysis on RTE is, if they thought this game was such a foregone conclusion why aren't they showing one of the more competitive games in Leinster?

It's an interesting point. We do know that hat games involving the big teams are invariably one sided this time of year and you may get a better game in a less high profile fixture

But which Leinster championship game would you have picked

Laois v Longford or Carlow v Wexford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

corny wrote: »
    I know he's a bit of a sap away from the microphone but Marty Morrissey shouldn't be thrown in with the rest of the commentary dross. Himself and Maloney make it at least bearable!

Darren Maloney is very good but Marty,well the less said the better.

It's an interesting point. We do know that hat games involving the big teams are invariably one sided this time of year and you may get a better game in a less high profile fixture

But which Leinster championship game would you have picked

Laois v Longford or Carlow v Wexford ?

Carlow v Wexford probably would have invoked some curiosity given that the winner was destined to face Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

C__MC wrote: »
    New theme tune for SG is cringe.

It's the exact same arrangement that's been used since 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think he meant the one they used last night featuring the Artane Boys Band, marching down Jones Rd to kick off the new season of TSG broadcasts. Cue oh so hilarious hijinks from Marty Morrissey - naturally - stealing someones trombone. :rolleyes:

Cringe is being kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I think he meant the one they used last night featuring the Artane Boys Band, marching down Jones Rd to kick off the new season of TSG broadcasts. Cue oh so hilarious hijinks from Marty Morrissey - naturally - stealing someones trombone. :rolleyes:

Cringe is being kind.

Yes that one - was also used today

Not being used for the evening show. Thank fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I'm very surprised that Martin Carney, or any commentator, is allowed to say things like ''this is awful to watch''. He dropped it in the middle of the Fer V Mon match yesterday evening when the game was still quite competitive. If I was an advertiser or producer I'd be furious. You're essentially telling viewers to turn off. Eir come with a variety of their own faults but it's refreshing at least that pointlessly cynical comments such as ''this is appalling viewing'' are absent. I guess it's because they can't afford to have viewers turn off.

Why not switch ''boring'' with ''ineffectual running'' or ''awful to watch'' with ''Monaghan are in a spell of making redundant passes which are leading to little to no forward progression'' or some such. Anything but announcing your state of boredom and I don't give a **** if it's about calling it as they see it. The game and its amateur athletes need praise and fair feedback, not proclamations like ''the handpass is the disease crippling the modern game like a nondiscriminatory cancer racing to squeeze the life from its host''.

Another thing is the bizarre language being bandied about. I think it was Seamus Mc Enaney who said that the goals ''killed'' his team. Why would you publicly declare your team as being ''killed''. Killing happens in conflict zones, disputed gangland territories and the like. I might be over thinking this point though.

• Advertisement

I instantly mute whenever Martin Carney is on, they probably play his commentary clips in Guantanamo Bay as a form of torture. What's worse is that if Donegal or Mayo are being shown you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll be covering it.

I agree with the above poster as well, how are they not pulled up on slamming their own spectacle. They spend all week advertising their coverage, then the commentary team complain about how awful a spectacle it is, at half time, brolly and Spillane lament for the olden days and throw 'awful' and 'containment' and 'damage limitation' around.

How would any of the above maintain the casual viewers attention? It was the exact same today, Sligo actually made a good fist of it and in the end the scoreline was very flattering to Mayo. Mayo looked dreadfully undercooked for supposed all Ireland contenders, yet neither Marty nor Dessie had a positive thing to say about Sligo.

Take for example Sky Sports coverage of the premier league. Throughout the season they are obliged to show every team a minimum number of times which means at times they will have to show games which they know by their own admission are utter dross. Take for example, Middlesborough v Leicester which they showed on New Years Day this year when two struggling sides played out a horrific 0-0 draw in front of a hungover crowd. Yet still the commentators will not complain about the awful spectacle it is because they know that if they do, people will inevitably flick away from it.

Also, I heard Martin Carney use a phrase last night that Fermanagh had lost 'a bit of the jizz from their play'. Now I don't know what context he could possibly mean that in but a lot of people might take the meaning of that word slightly differently. If anything it just perfectly sums up how out of touch he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Martin Carney should be binned

the negative analysis is just car crash stuff. Brolly is a pain to listen to
    in that Sligo game there was some great points kicked from out the field by Sligo, but it as all about how easy it was for Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rte coverage is easily the worst of what's available. I was able to watch the game on Saturday on the BBC and it was much better than you'd get from those clowns who spend the whole time moaning about everything. Sky is the best and bbc after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jayop wrote: »
    Rte coverage is easily the worst of what's available. I was able to watch the game on Saturday on the BBC and it was much better than you'd get from those clowns who spend the whole time moaning about everything. Sky is the best and bbc after them.
    That's why I won't agree with the hoo haa over
    Sky getting games
    RTÉ had it all there own way and got very very lazy . Punditry especially . Same old cliches trotted out
    They should have seen sky as a challenge and upped their game
    They haven't
    They deserve to lose more coverage imo unless they improve

Don't mind the negative commentary meself. Some games are hard to watch. I'd rather someone calls it like it is, than pretend enthusiasm that you can tell is fake from a mile away.

Carney should have been put out to pasture years ago, along with the rest of the aul lad brigade. They should bring in some fresh blood. However, there is not much chance of that happening with Marty Morrissey being the head GAA honcho in Montrose.

It's all well and good having the likes of Colm Cooper, Oisin McConville etc etc on the payroll, but they are being wasted, if all they do is the studio analysis. Get them doing the game commentary too. That would be great. Dessie Dolan seems to be the only recently retired player doing that (Lord knows why he in particular, got the nod, coz he's desperately dull) but there should be more of them over all.

Thought Cooper had a good debut last night. He was nervous, but that was understandable. It was great to see at least one Kerry man give a direct answer to a question & not start & end every question with that annoying "ah shure, d'ya know, lookit I suppose...." carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dessie Dolan seems to be the only recently retired player doing game commentary (Lord knows why, coz he's desperately dull) but there should be more of them.

Ah, that's a bit harsh. I think he's insightful. He voice mightn't help all right.
    Thought Cooper had a good debut last night. He was nervous, but that was understandable. It was great to see at least one Kerry man give a direct answer to a question & not start & end every question with that annoying "ah shure, d'ya know, lookit I suppose....carry on.

Fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so sky will be kicking off there 2017 GAA coverage with Dublin vs Carlow in the Leinster football QF on Sat 3 June

surly the Dubs will run riot but it will be good for everyone to do with Carlow GAA that there a live game on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It'll be nice to see Brendan Murphy on TV anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Cringe is being kind.

I just watched it on catch up. It's the original Jagerlatin, last heard at the start of a Sunday Game back in 2003! (though it was used to play out the highlights show last season). I presume it will be the modern arrangement going forward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Joanne Cantwell.

Where is drooling emoticon when you need one....

(Probably get banned now!)

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so sky will be kicking off there 2017 GAA coverage with Dublin vs Carlow in the Leinster football QF on Sat 3 June

surly the Dubs will run riot but it will be good for everyone to do with Carlow GAA that there a live game on tv

Dublin don't really run "riot" on teams, unless they are close rivals and opportunity presents!

Expect they'll run up a comfortable margin, empty the bench and run down the gears. No offence to Carlovians :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Joanne Cantwell.

Where is drooling emoticon when you need one....

(Probably get banned now!)

Meet her in the flesh, emoticon withdrawn

Sky only want to show the big counties playing

Bet they won't be showing Leitrim vs London

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Meet her in the flesh, emoticon withdrawn

:eek:

Chap would die contented then.

Kind of demonstrates the pointlessness of the Sky deal. They get games like this that no-one is going to pay for, most likely a poor advertisement for any neophytes across the sea who bother watching, and depriving a lot of genuine supporters who would watch it but don't have it. Can't see the point other than the few quid it brings in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ah, that's a bit harsh. I think he's insightful. He voice mightn't help all right.

I don't know, I think he just states the obvious. I do like him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

They need a major shake-up:

Brolly is predictable
    Spillane is tedious
    Dessie Dolan is hilariously bad and prob the worst they have- his attempts at insights are ludicrous- "so now we go to Dessie on the sideline, what do you have for us Dessie?" "Looks like Dublin have a sub warming up, it's O Gara so I think it must be a forward coming off" - real top class stuff.
    Letting O hara carry out his smarmy character assination on Kevin Walsh while making him out to be some victim was one of the most distasteful things that I've seen on tv.
    Letting McStay pitch for a job on tv lacked any kind of class.

The coverage is getting really poor and people like those mentioned above hinder any proper debate from breaking out- especially Brolly as he tries to dominate every show with his agendas but Spillane also tries his best with his general lack of intelligence and his rehearsed cliches ( that he still gets wrong)

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't know, I think he just states the obvious. I do like him though.

Yep. That's my beef with him to. I could take the flat, monotone voice, if he ever offered up the kind of insight that only a former player could really give. Isn't that the whole point of having former players do commentary? Donal Og does that brilliantly. DD contributions are of the really obvious kind, that my 90 old granny would make and she never set foot in Croke Park in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

PTH2009 wrote: »

I can't remember the last time we were live on tv. Usually gone after 1 game in Leinster, and then almost always the 1st qualifier game...= 5 mins overall on Sunday game each year.

So why not get thrown straight in against the All Ireland champions, possibly the greatest side of all time live on Sky Sports to launch their gaa coverage.
    We have nothing to lose, and delighted for Tickets.ie who have took a risk in sponsoring Carlow for the last couple of years. They are getting good publicity this week and will be even better that evening.

The viewers will get to see Brendan Murphy live on tv, probably a name everybody in gaa knows, but has never seen play. Him v Fenton will be the 2 best midfielders in Leinster against each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Stevecw wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time we were live on tv. Usually gone after 1 game in Leinster, and then almost always the 1st qualifier game...= 5 mins overall on Sunday game each year.

So why not get thrown straight in against the All Ireland champions, possibly the greatest side of all time live on Sky Sports to launch their gaa coverage.
    We have nothing to lose, and delighted for Tickets.ie who have took a risk in sponsoring Carlow for the last couple of years. They are getting good publicity this week and will be even better that evening.

The viewers will get to see Brendan Murphy live on tv, probably a name everybody in gaa knows, but has never seen play. Him v Fenton will be the 2 best midfielders in Leinster against each other.

Delighted for you and a good shout about your sponsor.

• Advertisement

Can we not just have Joanne... perhaps in her football gear or if it was really warm... okay i'm going to stop now

Advertisement