Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

MiCr0 wrote: »
    you can check for your version here https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G920F/btu/
    I'm still waiting for the unlocked BTU version - samsung uk said last month it had been delayed https://twitter.com/SamsungUK/status/836204740870537217

Ah brilliant, thanks

So that page will update to 7 when it starts to roll out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

learn_more wrote: »
    Too complex to explain but its starts here https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/orig-development/twrp-t3080940. Allows you to restore the phone as it was with apps and settings intact.

I presume you used twrp to back up before you upgraded to Nougat ?

I'm already on Nougat so I am thinking of putting a custom ROM on it to see if that will fix my home button only half working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

threein99 wrote: »
    I presume you used twrp to back up before you upgraded to Nougat ?

I'm already on Nougat so I am thinking of putting a custom ROM on it to see if that will fix my home button only half working

Yes I backup using twrp and then transfer the backup onto my pc so it won't take up space on my phone.

This mentions a workaround for your home button issue http://www.theandroidsoul.com/galaxy-s6-nougat-update-issues-and-fixes/
    Might be worth a try.

Guys you can download your s6 firmware at below link , it's better than sammobile.

http://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?r=&v=Nougat%28Android+7.0%29&q=galaxy+s6&exact=1

Yes I backup using twrp and then transfer the backup onto my pc so it won't take up space on my phone.

This mentions a workaround for your home button issue http://www.theandroidsoul.com/galaxy-s6-nougat-update-issues-and-fixes/
    Might be worth a try.

Cheers tried that and makes no difference. Flashed the Lineage ROM and its still the same, still looking for a way back to Marshmellow

• Advertisement

Cheers tried that and makes no difference. Flashed the Lineage ROM and its still the same, still looking for a way back to Marshmellow

Ok well it's beginning to sound like a hardware issue. But why not just flash a MM Rom from xda. Also why not try to flash original MM firmware using odin?

Ok well it's beginning to sound like a hardware issue. But why not just flash a MM Rom from xda. Also why not try to flash original MM firmware using odin?

I'm starting to think its hardware too. I was going to factory reset (just to clean up the phone) before the Nougat update came out then that came out so I just went for that instead, I dont remember the home button being so unresponsive before I upgraded to Nougat thats why I want to go back to MM just to see if it was bad. I wasnt able to downgrade to MM when I was trying with ODIN last week. I read somewhere you can't go back down MM from Nougat due to the bootloader being upgraded.

Any idea on the cost of a home button replacement if it came to that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This new update is awful!

Everything seems to be lighter and smaller and harder to see (although that may have as much to do with my age as anything :D)

But the real bugbear is that predictive text using the Samsung swype (or whatever it's called) is gone to hell - it's borderline impossible to use now.

Anyone else find this, and is there any way to revert to the previous version or is that it now?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Everything seems to be lighter and smaller and harder to see (although that may have as much to do with my age as anything :D)

But the real bugbear is that predictive text using the Samsung swype (or whatever it's called) is gone to hell - it's borderline impossible to use now.

Anyone else find this, and is there any way to revert to the previous version or is that it now?

I'm trying to downgrade but haven't been able to so far. I will have a read on XDA developers and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have noticed a peculiar behaviour with Nougat that I consider a bug - hope it's not a 'feature'.

I have transferred a couple mp4 videos to the phone and put them in the Movies folder. I really don't think that when I fire up the camera and then look at the photos I have taken in the camera app, that the mp4 videos should be showing up there also. I tried using My Files to move them to the Downloads folder but might as well not have bothered.

Also, that problem I posted with the invisible save and cancel buttons when setting an alarm, I have noticed that seems to be a system wide bug as other apps have the same problem when showing elements that are white that are supposed to have a contrasting text or lines but the contrasting colour is almost the same shade of white as the background.

• Advertisement

I wasnt able to downgrade to MM when I was trying with ODIN last week. I read somewhere you can't go back down MM from Nougat due to the bootloader being upgraded.

Any idea on the cost of a home button replacement if it came to that ?

The part itself is cheap but including labour would cost 65 at least.

Before that you should try to get MM back on it to be sure as it still may be software issue.

Can you tell me exactly what happens in ODIN when you try to downgrade from Noutgat to original MM firmware. Usually ODIN will fail right at the end but there is a workaround for that...

learn_more wrote:
    Can you tell me exactly what happens in ODIN when you try to downgrade from Noutgat to original MM firmware. Usually ODIN will fail right at the end but there is a workaround for that...

learn_more wrote:
    Before that you should try to get MM back on it to be sure as it still may be software issue.

learn_more wrote:

I got a version of MM that I was able to downgrade to. The issue with home button was still there I just assumed my phone had gotten slow hence the lag with the home button. It costs 230 euro to replace because they have to replace the whole screen

learn_more wrote:

learn_more wrote:

learn_more wrote:

I got a version of MM that I was able to downgrade to. The issue with home button was still there I just assumed my phone had gotten slow hence the lag with the home button. It costs 230 euro to replace because they have to replace the whole screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Give this one a bash..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

The screen doesn't have to be replaced, it has to be removed and replaced because of the way the home button is wired underneath it. Alas the procedure is do delicate that even a professional could accidentally break it which is why they quote you so much as the screens are so expensive. Interestingly if they didn't break it then 230 would be way too high a price to pay for a part that costs a tenner. It's crazy how much Samsung charge for replacement screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Yeah regular charging does work.

I took mine and gf's s6 into samsung repair store at lunch.

charge pin in phone is bent on both of them. her phone is covered with warranty as it's otherwise spotless. dodgy lead that we've both been using for the bin now!

Mine was not covered by warranty as there is some rust. £60 was going to be the fee to fix it however the won't touch it as i bought the phone in australia.

Not sure what to so. Might use phone as a trade in to upgrade to s7 or s8. can't get charge pin replaced by 3rd party shop for £60 but fix of breaking screen apparently.

Would bent port mean the fast charging doesn't work?

Girlfriend got her s6 back with new motherboard, screen and charging port! all covered by warranty. Lucky enough and i'm still here with my 5hrs to full charge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

The home button on my S6 has stopped working entirely.

The fingerprint scanner in it still works but it doesn't register being pressed at all.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

EDIT: Sorry, just realised others have this problem too

The screen doesn't have to be replaced, it has to be removed and replaced because of the way the home button is wired underneath it. Alas the procedure is do delicate that even a professional could accidentally break it which is why they quote you so much as the screens are so expensive. Interestingly if they didn't break it then 230 would be way too high a price to pay for a part that costs a tenner. It's crazy how much Samsung charge for replacement screens.

Do you think it would be worth trying a few different phone repair shops ?

Only the very side of the home button works now its really annoying

edit:
    I just found this guide for replacing the home button https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S6+Home+Button+Replacement/44661

Heart surgery is probably less complex :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Installed the new update last night via Odin on PC so far so good.

Girlfriend got her s6 back with new motherboard, screen and charging port! all covered by warranty. Lucky enough and i'm still here with my 5hrs to full charge!!

That's basically a new phone. The rest of the parts are just trivial. :)
    The home button on my S6 has stopped working entirely.

The fingerprint scanner in it still works but it doesn't register being pressed at all.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

EDIT: Sorry, just realised others have this problem too

You can install this app to get functionality back, basically an on-screen virtual home button. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.home.button.bottom&hl=en . If you don't like that one there's many more like it.
    Do you think it would be worth trying a few different phone repair shops ?

Only the very side of the home button works now its really annoying

edit:
    I just found this guide for replacing the home button https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S6+Home+Button+Replacement/44661

Heart surgery is probably less complex :D

Yes but before you do tell me is it the fingerprint scanner that's not working or is it when your press it to get to the home screen? If it's the latter then it's prolly not the button that has to be replaced but it's the dock that's underneath it that's faulty which can be replaced by just lifting up the screen a little rather than taking it off completely. I know this because I replaced mine that way. In any case you can try talking to another repair shop and let them know you understand what needs to be done.

Edit: The dock part I mention comprises the dock port as well as home button sensor and recent/back keys all in one. The fingerprint scanner is a separate part.

• Advertisement

D0NNELLY wrote:
    Rear mounted finger print scanner, home button/headphone socket gone to accommodate larger screen.. phone will have to be a big jump in features and not just the incremental improvements we've gotten used to..

learn_more wrote:
    Yes but before you do tell me is it the fingerprint scanner that's not working or is it when your press it to get to the home screen? If it's the latter then it's prolly not the button that has to be replaced but it's the dock that's underneath it that's faulty which can be replaced by just lifting up the screen a little rather than taking it off completely. I know this because I replaced mine that way. In any case you can try talking to another repair shop and let them know you understand what needs to be done.

learn_more wrote:
    Edit: The dock part I mention comprises the dock port as well as home button sensor and recent/back keys all in one. The fingerprint scanner is a separate part.

It's when I push the home button to get to the home screen. I don't actually user the finger print scanner I found it annoying to use. I might try a few phone shops and see.

Weird one here

My home button works to light up the screen and show the lock screen

It doesn't work to exit out of apps or open google now eye.

Any ideas ? Fingerprint sensor is working fine

Weird one here

My home button works to light up the screen and show the lock screen

It doesn't work to exit out of apps or open google now eye.

Any ideas ? Fingerprint sensor is working fine

Can't think what this might be only maybe it's the fingerprint scanner that's waking the device to home screen and the actual pressing function is faulty. You could try to boot into safe mode as that would disable most of your apps one of which might be interfering with the button functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I installed a large update last Sunday (I'm on vodafone) and now I can't seem to receive Twitter notifications since even after going into the notifications menu.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

After installing the vodafone update, I was no longer getting email notifications from the Gmail app. I went into the app and re set the notification settings. Think I might have restarted the phone as well. Anyway, that fixed it and it resumed notifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cnocbui wrote: »
    After installing the vodafone update, I was no longer getting email notifications from the Gmail app. I went into the app and re set the notification settings. Think I might have restarted the phone as well. Anyway, that fixed it and it resumed notifications.

Thanks. I'll try the notifications again and restart so.

I was waiting for the 7.0 BTU firmware upgrade

Got another marshmallow update last week instead ! Is that normal ??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Apologies I didn't see a dedicated S6 thread, probably should have posted in here instead of main forum.

So this morning my S6 was just stuck on the black loading screen with Samsung text, blue notification light was lit up aswell as home and back touch keys on the bottom of the handset.

Phone was red hot and was randomly vibrating ever so slightly.
    A soft reset with power button + volume down seems to got it back to life for now but I never had an issue with it before and the phone has been flawless with great performance etc.
    I had it on charge at the time.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Three customer here

Still waiting on the marshmallow update for S6

Seems to be taking a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Three customer here

Still waiting on the marshmallow update for S6

Seems to be taking a long time

It's so annoying how slow they are taking the release of Nougat!

Advertisement