Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Chuchote wrote: »
    What or where is this Gilligan interview?

Linked in this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103263267&postcount=1401

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Ah, thanks very much. I'll read it with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

M Spuckler, re paywall, you can sign up to read two articles a week for free. Please do! it's a brilliant article!

just remembered it's on the Dublin Cycling campaign FB page so no need to sell your soul to Rupett Murdoch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rugby is 500 times more dangerous than cycling, apparently.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11816885

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

rugby is 500 times more dangerous than cycling, apparently.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11816885

Rugby players should be the ones wearing high vis and helmets, and paying road tax then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

roid tax?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

roid tax?

Not at all, I heard a sports scientist comment on some of our internationals how it was incredible what a naturally high level of testosterone and red blood cells they had, leading to incredible recovery times that they could barely believe. Said with a straight face

Two funny letters today in The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cyclists-and-sharing-the-roads-1.3054202

From John Legge in Dun Laoghaire:
    Ever heard of the bike-share scheme in Seattle? It was discontinued as a result of low uptake in part due to their mandatory helmet law. Enforcing cyclists here to wear helmets will do little to improve their safety on our roads. However, such a law would be very effective at reducing cyclist numbers. Maybe that’s the whole point?

and from Brian McArdle in Ashtown:
    Mark Dunne asks what he should wear as a pedestrian to protect himself from errant cyclists (April 19th). I don’t believe the onus should be on the more vulnerable to protect themselves, but if he asks the Garda,­it will probably tell him a helmet and hi-vis jacket will save his life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641122

Five-year study of a quarter of a million UK commuters, published in the highly reputed BMJ.
    Cycling to work can cut cancer and heart disease, says study
    By James Gallagher
    Health and science reporter, BBC News website
    Want to live longer? Reduce your risk of cancer? And heart disease? Then cycle to work, say scientists.
    The biggest study into the issue linked using two wheels with a halving of the risk of cancer and heart disease.
    The five-year study of 250,000 UK commuters [published in the British Medical Journal] also showed walking had some benefits over sitting on public transport or taking the car.
    The five-year study compared people who had an "active" commute with those who were mostly stationary.
    Overall, 2,430 of those studied died, 3,748 were diagnosed with cancer and 1,110 had heart problems.
    But, during the course of the study, regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%, the incidence of cancer by 45% and heart disease by 46%.
    The cyclists clocked an average of 30 miles per week, but the further they cycled the greater the health boon.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641122

Five-year study of a quarter of a million UK commuters, published in the highly reputed BMJ.

Just about to be covered on the RTE news! Yeay!

TV: Prob repeated again at 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not a piece of hi vis and barely a helmet in the very short RTE news segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

busarus?

As long as you have nice middle-class and working-class and upper-class people buying stolen bikes with total impunity, bike theft will continue to be a profitable and popular crime.

i had understood that a considerable number of the bikes leave the country.

i had understood that a considerable number of the bikes leave the country.

This is the urban legend; how true it is, who knows. Considering that people have posted here about being offered very nice bikes for €50 and beating the seller down to €20, then bringing the bike to the Guards, there is obviously a considerable instant-bike market.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not a piece of hi vis and barely a helmet in the very short RTE news segment.
    Brilliant, isn't it?

This is the urban legend; how true it is, who knows. Considering that people have posted here about being offered very nice bikes for €50 and beating the seller down to €20, then bringing the bike to the Guards, there is obviously a considerable instant-bike market.

A neighbour of mine is a guard and a keen cyclist. He told me they regularly stop vans in Dublin port with bikes in them. Latest one was some Eastern European fellas with some nice bikes, in a time trial worth several grand that was reunited with its owner

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine is a guard and a keen cyclist. He told me they regularly stop vans in Dublin port with bikes in them. Latest one was some Eastern European fellas with some nice bikes, in a time trial worth several grand that was reunited with its owner

I suppose then the profile is dear bikes stolen for a market fuelling the thief industry of cheap (or any) bikes stolen to sell on the street.

Today in The Irish Times, the doctors are out (proving, perhaps, the old saw that "doctors differ and patients die"):

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cycling-helmets-and-safety-1.3055657

From Dr Dermot Coffey in Melbourne, Australia:
    I have followed with interest your coverage of the call by the AGSI for laws mandating helmet and hi-vis clothing for cyclists. I have lived and worked for the last 15 years in countries with mandatory helmet laws.
    Their main result in both has been to act as a barrier to cycling participation.
    The introduction of such laws in New Zealand in the 1990s coincided with a dramatic collapse in cyclist numbers, particularly of children cycling to and from school.
    More recently, in Australia, cycle-share schemes have been an abject failure, directly as a result of the laws. Interestingly, there has been no clear evidence that mandatory helmet laws have improved head injury rates. Meanwhile both countries, like Ireland, struggle with a worsening epidemic of the effects of physical inactivity.
    If the AGSI was truly interested in improving cycling safety, it would lobby for the single most important way of achieving this. This also happens to be the thing that would most quickly increase cyclist numbers with all the public health benefits that would bring – the development of a dedicated, comprehensive, safe and separated cycling network in urban areas.

From Dr Jack Short in Chaville, France:
    The motion by the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors to make cycling helmets compulsory is certainly not “silly” (“Cyclists oppose mandatory helmets”, April 14th). International evidence shows that helmets reduce the risk of head injuries by as much as 80 per cent. In Ireland, cyclists account for over 20 per cent of all transport-related hospitalisations, even though they are responsible for only 1 per cent or 2 per cent of traffic. And over a third of hospitalised cyclists have head injuries compared to only 15 per cent for motorcyclists.
    Cycling advocates are right that lower traffic speeds and better infrastructure are central to safer cycling but helmets can also contribute. Perhaps those opposed to helmets could at least agree that they should be made compulsory for children, as France did recently.

And from Mark Byrne in Bray:
    A thoughtless twit will remain a thoughtless twit, whether on a bike or behind the wheel of a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

From Dr Jack Short in Chaville, France:
    The motion by the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors to make cycling helmets compulsory is certainly not “silly” (“Cyclists oppose mandatory helmets”, April 14th). International evidence shows that helmets reduce the risk of head injuries by as much as 80 per cent. In Ireland, cyclists account for over 20 per cent of all transport-related hospitalisations, even though they are responsible for only 1 per cent or 2 per cent of traffic. And over a third of hospitalised cyclists have head injuries compared to only 15 per cent for motorcyclists.
    Cycling advocates are right that lower traffic speeds and better infrastructure are central to safer cycling but helmets can also contribute. Perhaps those opposed to helmets could at least agree that they should be made compulsory for children, as France did recently.

And from Mark Byrne in Bray:
    A thoughtless twit will remain a thoughtless twit, whether on a bike or behind the wheel of a car.
    I'd question the second Doctor's information there. The old one about 80% reduction has been dropped and the original study withdrawn as far as I know, and 20% of all transport hospitalisations are cyclists? That honestly sounds excessive, I'd very much like to see the backing on that one, particularly what they're in for - were they doing sport at the time? Downhill mountain biking is not transport.

murf wrote: »
    I'd question the second Doctor's information there. The old one about 80% reduction has been dropped and the original study withdrawn as far as I know, and 20% of all transport hospitalisations are cyclists? That honestly sounds excessive, I'd very much like to see the backing on that one, particularly what they're in for - were they doing sport at the time? Downhill mountain biking is not transport.

Well, it'll be taken as gospel unless another doctor or someone involved in the research contradicts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

not sure if this was reported on here, if it was apologies as i didn't see it.

Over one-third of Belfast Bikes are stolen or vandalised
    Some 210 of the 576 bikes in the Belfast Bikes fleet have either been stolen or taken out of service due to vandalism.
    :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Saw that this morning, can't see the scheme lasting too much longer at that rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

he also misses key things, such as many minor cycling injuries involving a crash would not even go to hospital. Whereas for motorcyclists, I imagine it would be almost 100% attendance.

Studies in Canada I believe showed no change in head injuries with helmet. I won't lie I thought rates stayed the same while cycling numbers dropped therefore mandatory helmet laws increased the percentage of cyclists hospitalised with a head injury but it may have also stayed the same in that the percentage of head injuries as a whole of number of cyclists remained constant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Saw that this morning, can't see the scheme lasting too much longer at that rate.

no, and 5000 subscribers since april 2015 doesn't scream roaring success to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

CramCycle wrote: »
    Studies in Canada I believe showed no change in head injuries with helmet. I won't lie I thought rates stayed the same while cycling numbers dropped therefore mandatory helmet laws increased the percentage of cyclists hospitalised with a head injury but it may have also stayed the same in that the percentage of head injuries as a whole of number of cyclists remained constant
    I'd love to see a breakdown in figures by cyclist/journey type, e.g. commuting, leisure or sports/racing. The former two groups are the ones most likely to be adversely affected by helmet laws. The latter group (sports/racing) would see less of a drop-off in participation rates but would be at higher risk of head injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

In Ireland, cyclists account for over 20 per cent of all transport-related hospitalisations, even though they are responsible for only 1 per cent or 2 per cent of traffic. And over a third of hospitalised cyclists have head injuries compared to only 15 per cent for motorcyclists.

Even though helmets are not mandatory they are very commonly worn. How many of these injuries were in fact on helmet wearers anyway?

flatface wrote: »
    Even though helmets are not mandatory they are very commonly worn. How many of these injuries were in fact on helmet wearers anyway?

The last few fatalities a helmet would have done little sadly, collisions either because of high speed hit and runs by cars or HGVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, looks like a crock alright. To be honest, once someone says that helmets prevent 80% (or similar proportion) of head injuries, I stop reading, as they clearly haven't looked into the matter in any detail at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement