Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Does anyone know if Decare Dental cover wisdom tooth extraction?
    Can't see it listed on any of the policies!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

got my wisdom tooth taking out yesterday morning and it still hurts. I got gassed as i have a gag reflex so didnt feel much pain getting it out. i still shiver when i think about the crack and the feel of it coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

rustyzip wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Decare Dental cover wisdom tooth extraction?
    Can't see it listed on any of the policies!

Ring your dentist and ask. Your choices are usually extraction in the dentist which will require the cost of the anesthetic, or surgical in the hospital, and if you have health insurance you should be covered.

The dentist will have the procedures codes you can check with insurance companies if they are on their list of covered procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Ring your dentist and ask. Your choices are usually extraction in the dentist which will require the cost of the anesthetic, or surgical in the hospital, and if you have health insurance you should be covered.

The dentist will have the procedures codes you can check with insurance companies if they are on their list of covered procedures.

Not great advice...

Procedure codes are only relivant when a patient has regular medical insurance (not decare/ vhi dental etc). General dentist rarely know these codes anyway...

The "wisdom tooth" part of it is irrelevant. If your dentist can take it out non surgically then your dental insurance will likely cover a % of it.
    If your dentist can't do it and needs to refer, then you need to ask decare if they will cover a % or a surgical extraction.
    Read Pg 4
    https://www.decaredental.ie/media/11211/TermsConditions.pdf
    It sounds like they don't help in these cases but best to ask them anyway...

Do you have regular medical insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 julietblue

Went to the dentist yesterday for a routine check-up. He said I needed a filling and probably removal of all four wisdom teeth, but I definitely to remove the one that had already erupted, it would give my cheek ulcers apparently. So I came back today for my filling and he said "while you're here, why don't I take that one wisdom tooth now." I said "okay", it had to come out regardless. He injects me, I think "this'll be fine. He said my roots aren't funny, the fact that it's erupted makes it easier, and they want you to remove them young because your bone density increases with age. I can do this."

An hour later he's still pulling, my jaw is aching, my lips hurt so much from the pressure of his utensils and it's still not out. He gives up, rings the dental surgeons in the area to get me the soonest appointment possible, and I'm left with the roots still in my jaw until tomorrow. Not pleasant. If I do get the other three out, they're only coming out under general. I cannot keep my mouth open that long again. Apparently I have high bone density, unusual in a 20 year old. Awesome.

• Advertisement

That wasn't enjoyable I'm sure... Don't insist on s General anaesthetic, consider IV sedation too... It's very effective, cheaper, quicker and safer.

See an oral surgeon and get it sorted asap...

Good luck,
    Os
    julietblue wrote: »
    Went to the dentist yesterday for a routine check-up. He said I needed a filling and probably removal of all four wisdom teeth, but I definitely to remove the one that had already erupted, it would give my cheek ulcers apparently. So I came back today for my filling and he said "while you're here, why don't I take that one wisdom tooth now." I said "okay", it had to come out regardless. He injects me, I think "this'll be fine. He said my roots aren't funny, the fact that it's erupted makes it easier, and they want you to remove them young because your bone density increases with age. I can do this."

An hour later he's still pulling, my jaw is aching, my lips hurt so much from the pressure of his utensils and it's still not out. He gives up, rings the dental surgeons in the area to get me the soonest appointment possible, and I'm left with the roots still in my jaw until tomorrow. Not pleasant. If I do get the other three out, they're only coming out under general. I cannot keep my mouth open that long again. Apparently I have high bone density, unusual in a 20 year old. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Lads I'm booked in to have my last lower right wisdom tooth removed next Monday by an oral surgeon as its only partially erupted.

The previous other 3 wisdom tooth I've had removed were a nightmare. The first one was done the day I came off very strong pain relief following surgery to repair a shin bone broken in 4 places. So that wasn't good. The other lower one I had pulled was still incredibly sore a week later. From reading the web thought it was a dry socket thing. Looked into my mouth with a mirror and could see some white bits sticking out of the hole. Said to myself that if I could get them out then my pain might subside. Got the fork and flicked 2 of 3 bits of tooth out but failed to get the last bit. Went back to the dentist and told him he left some tooth there but I had gotten most of it out except for one bit. He got out the last bit and proceeded to tell me that it wasn't tooth bit actually pieces of my jaw bone that broke off when he pulled it.

So you can see why I'm up to 90 in advance of this one. This is the only one that's being done by an Oral surgeon though so I hope to god this goes better. Only getting it pulled as it got badly infected a few weeks ago and the pain was unreal then and could do without a reoccurrence of that. Thinking now that is just let it alone and hope it doesn't get infected again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

slingerz wrote: »
    Lads I'm booked in to have my last lower right wisdom tooth removed next Monday by an oral surgeon as its only partially erupted.

The previous other 3 wisdom tooth I've had removed were a nightmare. The first one was done the day I came off very strong pain relief following surgery to repair a shin bone broken in 4 places. So that wasn't good. The other lower one I had pulled was still incredibly sore a week later. From reading the web thought it was a dry socket thing. Looked into my mouth with a mirror and could see some white bits sticking out of the hole. Said to myself that if I could get them out then my pain might subside. Got the fork and flicked 2 of 3 bits of tooth out but failed to get the last bit. Went back to the dentist and told him he left some tooth there but I had gotten most of it out except for one bit. He got out the last bit and proceeded to tell me that it wasn't tooth bit actually pieces of my jaw bone that broke off when he pulled it.

So you can see why I'm up to 90 in advance of this one. This is the only one that's being done by an Oral surgeon though so I hope to god this goes better. Only getting it pulled as it got badly infected a few weeks ago and the pain was unreal then and could do without a reoccurrence of that. Thinking now that is just let it alone and hope it doesn't get infected again!!!

An oral surgeon is doing it, will be a totally different experience for the better. I was given an antibiotic to prevent infection and you have to rinse out your mouth regularly for a few days. You will be prescribed painkillers and once you take them as instructed the pain will stay under control

Gael23 wrote: »
    An oral surgeon is doing it, will be a totally different experience for the better. I was given an antibiotic to prevent infection and you have to rinse out your mouth regularly for a few days. You will be prescribed painkillers and once you take them as instructed the pain will stay under control

Thanks for the reassurance but the fear is real!! If they have to open the gum and cut away bone would that not be really sore for days though??

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Thanks for the reassurance but the fear is real!! If they have to open the gum and cut away bone would that not be really sore for days though??

I was out of action for two weeks, every case is different though and your dentist would know better than a stranger on the internet about these things

• Advertisement

Of course there is going to be some pain but you will be given drugs to control it. Before you wake up they give you a pain blocker which is like a local anaesthetic into your gum. Then when you wake up they will give you IV pain relief before you go home.

I was dreading it but I found that once I took the painkillers as directed by the surgeon it wasn't that bad. Thats apart from the time I tried to be brave and skip a dose which was torture!

Got my final wisdom tooth out today. To say I was in dread of the procedure was an understatement.

My previous extractions took an hour or so each with considerable pushing and pulling. This took less that 5 mins without any undue pulling.

I was so surprised by the ease at which he managed to get it out and the understanding that they provided. I have never had such a good experience of the dentist. If I could name and extol his abilities in the paper I would

Currently on pain relief but don't believe I will need it for long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Got all 4 of mine out two months ago under General and found it pretty OK. I had tonsilitis at the time so was worried I'd have to wait another few weeks but they gave me some IV antibiotics and went ahead with it.
    The pain was pretty bad for 2-3 weeks after (partly due to the tonsilitis) but not unbearable and the stitches were annoying when they started falling out but I was expecting a lot worse.

Once you take your prescribed painkillers and don't make a martyr of yourself then it really isn't that bad

Any dry socket advice folks

Any dry socket advice folks

The best way to avoid a dry socket is not to have an extraction.....;)

Risk factors include;
    smoking
    oral contraceptives
    being female
    lower teeth as opposed to upper teeth
    more difficult extractions due to greater surgical trauma and time of procedure
    someone who has had a dry socket before...

If you can change any of these factors.... smoking is the only one that can be changed in reality...

Preventative measures
    No smoking
    no oral contraceptives but this could lead to other unwanted issues!!
    clean quick surgery, minimizing surgical trauma....
    gentle rinsing starting the day after the procedure

Good luck,

OS

The best way to avoid a dry socket is not to have an extraction.....;)

Risk factors include;
    smoking
    oral contraceptives
    being female
    lower teeth as opposed to upper teeth
    more difficult extractions due to greater surgical trauma and time of procedure
    someone who has had a dry socket before...

If you can change any of these factors.... smoking is the only one that can be changed in reality...

Preventative measures
    No smoking
    no oral contraceptives but this could lead to other unwanted issues!!
    clean quick surgery, minimizing surgical trauma....
    gentle rinsing starting the day after the procedure

Good luck,

OS

I can't avoid it because I have it since my extraction on Monday. Must say the extraction was simple and I'd highly recommend the dentist in Cork if anyone is interested.

Any complication is I got dry socket which is not nice

I can't avoid it because I have it since my extraction on Monday. Must say the extraction was simple and I'd highly recommend the dentist in Cork if anyone is interested.

Any complication is I got dry socket which is not nice

Ah,
    Rinse the hell out of it now so....
    Did you go back to your oral surgeon??

Ah,
    Rinse the hell out of it now so....
    Did you go back to your oral surgeon??

Yea got a prescription for antibiotics and painkillers.

Rinsing with Kin about 4 times a day.

It's no fun anyway!!

You rinse every time you eat. Dry socket in an unfortunate complication

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Athena.clio

Hi, Im just wondering if anyone could recommend an oral surgeon in dublin 8 or the city centre that could remove my impacted wisdom teeth, an affordable one too. Id like to be in safe hands without a horror story ;) Oh any idea about the price for two teeth without iv sedation? And one without needing a referal from the dentist.

Many thanks Folks

Hi, Im just wondering if anyone could recommend an oral surgeon in dublin 8 or the city centre that could remove my impacted wisdom teeth, an affordable one too. Id like to be in safe hands without a horror story ;) Oh any idea about the price for two teeth without iv sedation? And one without needing a referal from the dentist.

Many thanks Folks

No you need to see a dentist. If the teeth are impacted you will need iv sedation because the surgeon will have to cut into the gum. The price depends on so many factors, I cant tell you that but your looking at hundreds.
    Your first stop is a dentist though, I know thats not what you want to hear but you cant see a surgeon without a referral and X-rays etc.

Gael23 wrote: »
    No you need to see a dentist. If the teeth are impacted you will need iv sedation because the surgeon will have to cut into the gum. The price depends on so many factors, I cant tell you that but your looking at hundreds.
    Your first stop is a dentist though, I know thats not what you want to hear but you cant see a surgeon without a referral and X-rays etc.

Hi,
    thanks for your reply. Ive been to my dentist lots of times at this stage and had xrays. Ive told him I want them out and he put me on the hospital waiting list. Months went by and i called them and they have no record of me. Ive heard these stories with other people. Spent a fortune with a useless dentist that just extracts money from me. Im too annoyed to speak with him i just want them out. Was hoping to cut out the dentist and just go to the surgeon...seems like from what your saying i cant. Really annoyed at the thoughts of now having to start again with a new dentist, sighs!! thanks though for your response :/

Not all oral surgeons need a referral. The older guys might operate that way but if you google them and they have a website then you would expect that they are advertising for a reason and will take a Alfred referral....

Just because it is a surgical removal(s) does not mean that you NEED sedation.... Some want it, but few need it.....

Not all oral surgeons need a referral. The older guys might operate that way but if you google them and they have a website then you would expect that they are advertising for a reason and will take a Alfred referral....

Just because it is a surgical removal(s) does not mean that you NEED sedation.... Some want it, but few need it.....

Oh ok,

this gives me a bit if hope then :) I personally want it without iv sedation. I have googled surgeons in my area and there are a few but a fancy website means little, they could be anyone. I was hoping someone here would have a recommendation based on their experience with them or from an fellow surgeon. Thanks for your reply I feel a little better knowing this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

I have two partially erupted wisdom teeth on the bottom, both of which are partially covered by the gum.

The two on top were fully erupted, but both at an angle of maybe 30° outward. My top palate is also quite narrow and plan on getting braces soon.

Anyway, the area around the bottom right wisdom tooth developed an infection below the flap of gum was causing me pain during the week and I arranged to see the dentist on Friday - expecting to have it removed, the gum over it removed, or possibly be given antibiotics.

Instead the dentist removed the upper right wisdom tooth above it, which he said was causing irritation and swelling on the one below.
    It took all of 10 seconds and was completely painless.

Due to the angle it was at, it would have had to come out anyway apparently, even though the tooth itself was fine. Am I way off the mark to think that this tooth could have been benefitial if I was to get braces in future, to act as a point to leverage against, or would it most likely have been removed anyway?

The pain in the lower, partially erupted tooth is certainly lessened now that the irritation is gone, but the infection and flap of gum remains. Is there much I can do about this or should it clear up on its own?

I know I expect medical advice online, but the dentist wasn't forthcoming with information, and treated what is a big enough deal for me as something very minor despite - which I supposed it is to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed 2 weeks ago.
    I still have stiffness in my left jaw and a bit of a lump. I had severe swelling on my left side on day2 after the extraction also.
    Still some light swelling on both cheeks.
    Is this normal? As in other cases in seems much easier recovery or maybe I am wrong, just want to sure nothing has gone wrong with my recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Got two out today. So far no pain, seemed to have timed the painkillers spot on with the numbness wearing off. Already looking forward to having solid food again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

P_1 wrote: »
    Got two out today. So far no pain, seemed to have timed the painkillers spot on with the numbness wearing off. Already looking forward to having solid food again

That at least gives you the excuse to have all the ice-cream you want. I did the same... :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Anyone experienced lasting changes like thinning or sunken shape of face or jawline after wisdom extractions?

Advertisement