Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought this was fairly well flagged, Mark Bonnar should be the next doctor - younger and Scottish I think he'd do it with a hint of edgy danger. Actually they'll regenerate the Dr as a woman I expect - black, Muslim and gay with a limp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That seems a shame. Can see the logic with the changeover to a new producer I guess, but could have happily watched plenty mow adventures with Capaldi.

My only wish now is that thw BBC don't milk the replacements announcement into a big show like last time. It'd be more exciting to have it remain a secret until the regeneration itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Much as I love PC as a person, I never truly warmed to him as the Doctor.

As always, I shall be lobbying for a ginger regeneration. Relatively unknown actor, please and thank you.

Although considering who's taking over the reins I forsee a period of not caring too much, though I'll still watch. If you watch the TV movie, you'll watch anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Capaldi was grand but episodes have been so-so as of late.. so been more difficult to really enjoy his performance.

Though Heaven Sent was incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I thought this was fairly well flagged, Mark Bonnar should be the next doctor - younger and Scottish I think he'd do it with a hint of edgy danger. Actually they'll regenerate the Dr as a woman I expect - black, Muslim and gay with a limp
    If they went with Mark Bonnar we'd have another case of
    The Doctor: Have you seen this face before?
    Barney (Brian Miller): No.
    The Doctor: Are you sure?
    Barney: Sir, I have never seen that face.
    The Doctor: It’s funny because I’m sure that I have. You know, I never know where the faces come from. They just pop up.

He was in The Almost People and The Rebel Flesh way back in Seaon 6. I'd like them to one of 2 ways with it someone completely unknown or someone that we've seen but wouldn't have thought of them for the part like maybe Stephen Fry someone like that.

• Advertisement

A bit like the Bill - often a cop would have been in a previous episode as a scangery villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Isn't there talk of the lanky lad coming back? Regeneration back to Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

A bit like the Bill - often a cop would have been in a previous episode as a scangery villain

Nearly everybody who died on casualty died more than once. Some are unfortunate to die many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

But can you really keep it quite till it happens? The reason they announce it is to avoid some paper/website giving it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I like Capaldi but I never loved him as the Dr, Be great to see Smith come back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No, Smith is not coming back, random journos picking up on him saying would he come back if asked to which he answered yes, but not understanding Doctors come back all the time guest staring with their newer versions.

I will miss Capaldi's Doctor but if he wants to be reprising old characters I think the world needs Malcolm Tucker a lot more right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But can you really keep it quite till it happens? The reason they announce it is to avoid some paper/website giving it away.

I see no reason why they couldn't keep it a secret, if they made some sensible precautions. The regeneration will undoubtedly happen in the TARDIS, so there's a quiet, private indoor shoot right there. A few NDAs for the production crew should keep lips & social media feeds closed.

Just for once it'd be so nice to watch a TV show with a genuine, sudden surprise that wasn't pre-spoiled by set spies, press releases, or hyperbolic announcement shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought Capaldi had the ability to turn average scripts into good ones with his acting ability. One of my favourite doctors.

Smith was very average, but he was'nt helped by scripts that tried to be too clever. He did'nt have many classics.

Oh look - the guardian is on point! :pac:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/31/doctor-who-new-time-lord-woman-peter-capaldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ah no,

I quite liked him as The Doctor. :(

Shame.

One-step closer to my appearance!!!!

That article has to be the biggest load of sh*te I've read in a while. Jaysus, is there no PC banner The Guardian will not raise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As I've said elsewhere, if it has to be a woman I support Hayley Atwell.

I would love the regeneration to be a surprise. As it's the final episode of the season or the Christmas episode, it's not entirely impossible. Keep the filming of the regeneration scene closed to only the limited number of people required. Then if it needs to be previewed or anthing, show the rest of the episode but save the ending for the actual tv airing. I know spoilers for US shows don;t leak as bad becuse they're filmed closer to airing time, but no reason this has to leak.

Remember when Capaldi('s eyes) appeared in Day of the Doctor or Jenna's debut in Asylum of the Daleks. I didn't know they were coming.
    Or when Tennant began regenerating only to transfer the energy into his hand. Was genuinely excited that this was a well kept secret regeneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Stephen Mangan tweeted what appeared should have been a DM hinting that he is in the running but Cardiff is awkward and that he is meeting someone on Monday for talks. I thought he was just doing it as a wind up, but he deleted the tweet 10 minutes later.

Edit: He said he was due to talk to Chris C on Monday, who is presumably Chris Chibnall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Daniel Rigby could be a good shout

I didn't read the above Guardian article, but I can imagine the levels of pontification being pretty high, and that's speaking as a Guardian reader. It's a good paper that performs noble journalistic feats, but it can be pretty insufferable when it wants to be.

As for a female Doctor, I think there is an argument to be made for swapping the gender, and it's not like canon hasn't established that very possibility, but I honestly believe the character does more good work as a male role-model.

There are precious few male heroes in pop culture for whom violence isn't their modus operandi, or aren't some swaggering alpha male. Scripts by Eric Saward notwithstanding, the Doctor is an emboldening hero of science, and I like the idea of him as a male role-model, depressingly still the exception to the rule that the heroic man is all stubbornness and aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

pixelburp wrote: »
    I didn't read the above Guardian article, but I can imagine the levels of pontification being pretty high, and that's speaking as a Guardian reader. It's a good paper that performs noble journalistic feats, but it can be pretty insufferable when it wants to be.

As for a female Doctor, I think there is an argument to be made for swapping the gender, and it's not like canon hasn't established that very possibility, but I honestly believe the character does more good work as a male role-model.

There are precious few male heroes in pop culture for whom violence isn't their modus operandi, or aren't some swaggering alpha male. Scripts by Eric Saward notwithstanding, the Doctor is an emboldening hero of science, and I like the idea of him as a male role-model, depressingly still the exception to the rule that the heroic man is all stubbornness and aggression.

Honestly my big fear about swapping to a female Doctor is that they'll just do it for the sake of it and to be "PC".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Fully expected I think. Tennant was 3 seasons and Matt Smith was also 3 seasons afaik. I personally liked him, quirky split second scenes. It's a good time for the series with the return of Gallifrey and the Time Lords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

campo wrote: »
    I like Capaldi but I never loved him as the Dr, Be great to see Smith come back

Never took to Capaldi's Doctor prefer Tennant

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Honestly my big fear about swapping to a female Doctor is that they'll just do it for the sake of it and to be "PC".

How would you even know if they did? :)

I mean the only baseline for the 'right' casting of the Doctor is finding someone with that special kind of eccentric charisma or energy, where the actor essentially injects some of their own personality into the role. The gender becomes somewhat academic then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How would you even know if they did? :)

I mean the only baseline for the 'right' casting of the Doctor is finding someone with that special kind of eccentric charisma or energy, where the actor essentially injects some of their own personality into the role. The gender becomes somewhat academic then.

I suppose you will be able to tell from the scripts. If the character is fundamentally the same only played by a female actor, then there's no problem. But if they overlabour it with "when I was a man I would have done this but now I'm a woman so I do things differently" messages, then it might lose something. The latter does a real disservice to female actresses IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You left out Irish, as per the Guardian again how about Ruth Negga?

Personally, I took quite a few episodes before warming to Capaldi but am now quite enjoying him and have re-watched a number of the episodes. If it was my choice for the next Doctor it would be David Thewlis without a doubt. Couldn't be doing with Ayoade much as I loved him in the IT crowd and the Boosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't understand why so many people like the idea of Aziz playing The Doctor. I think he's pretty damn funny, but doesn't seem to fit the character of the Doctor at all.

http://news.sky.com/story/doctor-who-tilda-swinton-is-bookies-favourite-to-be-next-tv-time-lord-10770214

Tilda Swinton from Doctor Strange odds on favourite.

Forgot....white men bad and evil. Have to have woman in male role, cause it's progress apparently.

No chance anyone that famous would take on a full time, ambassadorial role like the Doctor. Eccleston and Capaldi were well enough known sure, but far from the Hollywood royalty someone like Swinton would be.

As I tend to think though in these situations, it shows the power of the show that she's a legitimate bet in the eyes of the bookies; when the relaunch was still an unknown, tabloids talked of the likes of Phil Daniels or David Hasslehoff as contenders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

http://news.sky.com/story/doctor-who-tilda-swinton-is-bookies-favourite-to-be-next-tv-time-lord-10770214

Forgot....white men bad and evil. Have to have woman in male role, cause it's progress apparently.

The idea annoys me because frankly it sends out a pretty poor message to a group that more than ever need an intellectual role model. Its one of those things that makes no sense to do just because you can.

Im assuming if this does happen then the doctors assistant, who in recent seasons has somewhat upgraded to someone who often is the doctors salvation, will become a strong clever independent male role rather than another loveable bumbling Rory? (Like hell it will)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Guys when will we know who gets this role?:o

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Guys when will we know who gets this role?:o

Realistically it won't be til nearer Christmas this year; Chris Chibnall has said he hasn't even started working on his tenure as show-runner while he's still working on Broadchurch, and given that choosing a new Doc will be his first job we may all just wait n' see. Until then anything reported really is just newspaper tattle!

Well Capaldi's last series isn't far away; BBC America released a trailer for the new run, complete with air-date: 15th April. Apparently both the UK and America will broadcast the same day so that date applies for those of us watching on the European side of the Atlantic.

Included is a trailer I suspect was made specifically as a promo, and not part of any specific episode

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wouldn't be her first role as a time traveller whose hopped between genders. Orlando anyone? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Massive pinch of salt, but it is reported today in the Daily Mail that
    Kris Marshall
    has been cast as the next doctor.
    Seems like the type alright, but I think many were expecting a woman.

• Advertisement

IIRC, Chris Chibnall said in an interview (this is about 1-2 months ago) that he's still only working on Broadchurch & hasn't even had a chance to properly sit down with his vision for Dr. Who, including putting together an action plan on finding the next Doctor. Based on how the BBC go about finding a new Doctor, there'll be no casting until all the main heads get together to write an open script to let auditions put their own spin on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Small possibility, pure speculation based on what's seen so far.
    Peter does indeed regenerate at the end of this series as is teased in some trailers and let's say for arguments sake it is KM , However, KM turns out not to be Chibnalls first Doctor and instead, like John Hurt, he's a 1 off Doctor for the Christmas special and regenerates again at the end of the special leaving Chibnall with a clean slate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Urgh, Kris Marshall?! Met him once during the Galway Film Fleadh and he was an absolute arsehole. He'd be an awful Doctor in terms of the ambassadorial role that the actors tend to play off screen.

Methinks the tabloids' strategy is simply channel-hopping and looking out for vaguely geeky or goofy looking British actors tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I think that the trend of the actor playing DW shuffling off...ahem...sorry...regenerating after 3 series damages the franchise.

It takes at least one series to get used to the new face/personality and one suspects it takes the scriptwriters a while to come up with a few unique idiosyncracies and eccentricities....

Curious that my three favourite Doctors have been the ones that remained in the role the longest (Baker (7), Tennant(4.5), Pertwee(4.5))....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

IIRC, Chris Chibnall said in an interview (this is about 1-2 months ago) that he's still only working on Broadchurch & hasn't even had a chance to properly sit down with his vision for Dr. Who, including putting together an action plan on finding the next Doctor. Based on how the BBC go about finding a new Doctor, there'll be no casting until all the main heads get together to write an open script to let auditions put their own spin on things.

Given they've already wrapped the current series which Capaldi has confirmed is his last, I'd say it's highly likely they've not only cast the new Doctor, but actually filmed the regeneration. I believe Capaldi has already said he's filmed "his death". Obviously he may be throwing out mis-info and the regen is set for the Xmas special as seems to be the norm these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He also said on Graham Norton that he had yet to do the Christmas special...

Are we going to have another drawn out regeneration (a la Tennant?)

I think it's a shame to change doctors again.

As mentioned earlier this every three season new doctor approach is a bit silly.

Last season he was really getting into the roll.

Well looks like The Mirror are on a roll, knocking out another couple of questionable rumours. So now they're claiming
    not only will Bill depart at the end of series 10, but David Bradley will also play the 1st doctor in the finale. Now, given we see the original cybermen in the trailer I presume the wild speculation is that the story will revolve around the Doctors very first regeneration I guess?
    . Frankly I don't believe either of them, least of all the first.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

exaisle wrote: »
    I think that the trend of the actor playing DW shuffling off...ahem...sorry...regenerating after 3 series damages the franchise.

It takes at least one series to get used to the new face/personality and one suspects it takes the scriptwriters a while to come up with a few unique idiosyncracies and eccentricities....
    I agree with you but in each instance the actor chose to move on - what can they do really? It's not like the later stages of the original run when the BBC forced the change, such as poor Colin Baker.
    I'd have loved for Smith to get more personally but obviously he wanted to forge ahead and yes, Capaldi is only settling into it now so I want more there too.
    Curious that my three favourite Doctors have been the ones that remained in the role the longest (Baker (7), Tennant(4.5), Pertwee(4.5))....
    Tennant only had three seasons and then the half season of specials...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ixoy wrote: »
    I agree with you but in each instance the actor chose to move on - what can they do really?
    Plus it's not an easy gig. Long production schedules, on top of all the worldwide press and attention(never mind the real issue with type casting). I could see someone younger getting burnt out quickly enough, but Capaldi is going on for sixty IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus it's not an easy gig. Long production schedules, on top of all the worldwide press and attention(never mind the real issue with type casting). I could see someone younger getting burnt out quickly enough, but Capaldi is going on for sixty IIRC.

Also, as much as I love his Doctor, I think the world needs Malcolm Tucker right now even more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

ixoy wrote: »
    <snip>
    Tennant only had three seasons and then the half season of specials...

...but he was the Doctor for about 4 and a half years. It's a time thing... ;-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

exaisle wrote: »
    ...but he was the Doctor for about 4 and a half years. It's a time thing... ;-)

By that measure, Sylvester McCoy should be your hands-down fave. :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    By that measure, Sylvester McCoy should be your hands-down fave. :pac:
    Or McGann - 1996 to 2005 so at 9 years the longest running Doctor :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement