Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I'll only ever tip if I feel the person has gone out of their way to provide an excellent service outside of whatever their regular job is. The whole purpose behind tipping in places like America is because staff are on ludicrously low money, that people can't actually survive on. That isn't the case here.

Give me an example of someone who has gone out of their way and a provided a service that was outside of what they are already getting paid to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

lightspeed wrote: »
    Give me an example of someone who has gone out of their way and a provided a service that was outside of what they are already getting paid to do?

I got tipped €20 euro once.
    Worked after school in a petrol station. My job was to attend the shop and fill fuel, no more.
    No putting air in tyres, none of that craic as the airline was away from the shop and it was only a little place so I was on my own.
    I was told not to leave the shop unattended aside from filling fuel.

Old woman pulls in one evening off to the end of the forecourt with a puncture, not a hope of her changing it herself.

I locked the door and went over to change it, while intermittently stopping to go serve customers.
    I expected nothing, i'm happy to help someone who needs it but she offered €20, I declined and she insisted.

How bou dah?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

s15r330 wrote: »

How bou dah?!

You're fired!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

£2 tip for my haircut, it's £15 a cut.
    At least 10% in a restaurant if it's good,I distinguish between bad food and bad service too.
    Occasionally taxi drivers get the odd quid, especially if they've rounded down from the total to make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Certainly not me, but the biggest tip that i ever got was $10,000 and it didn't involve any Gerbils....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Am i supposed to tip them for making a meal and delivering it to my table? Thats what im paying for when i pay for the meal.
    I agree with this, and I work in a restaurant! I get paid a good bit more than minimum wage in Ireland, in a city where the cost of living is much lower than at home. My job is to bring food to the table and I get paid quite okay for it, I don't know why people tip. I don't mind though :) 
    I also tip in restaurants if the service or food has been good, I tip in cafés if the coffee has been nice, I tip beauticians and hair dressers, occasionally taxi drivers. I don't know why it's exclusive to these services though, I worked for minimum wage in retail in Ireland and was never tipped, but it was almost the same work as in the restaurant, just products instead of food, so I don't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

smurfjed wrote: »
    Certainly not me, but the biggest tip that i ever got was $10,000 and it didn't involve any Gerbils....

How in the hell did you get a $10,000 tip?

I work in a bar. I often enough get tips or offered tips. I tell them they're grand, they don't have to tip, but yanks will insist sometimes. I'd get 15 or 20 a week in tips I'd guess.
    Soo, how did you get a $10,000 tip? Tell us more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

How in the hell did you get a $10,000 tip?

I work in a bar. I often enough get tips or offered tips. I tell them they're grand, they don't have to tip, but yanks will insist sometimes. I'd get 15 or 20 a week in tips I'd guess.
    Soo, how did you get a $10,000 tip? Tell us more.

He/She is either a stripper or a prostitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

if the waitress is lucky she'll get the tip, if she's really lucky she'll get the whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

FTA69 wrote: »
    A lot of places in London (and I assume Dublin is the same) are doing this and not paying the money to the staff. I always ask the staff do they get the service charge and if they don't get it in its entirity I ask for it to be removed from the bill and give them cash instead.

Absolutely disgraceful for a business to be basically stealing money from their staff and enticing extra from customers under false pretences. And often it's the big chains at it too.

Are you getting the staff who told you into sh1t thought?
    If not I think what you are doing is a good idea

I worked as a waitor in my youth and loved the manic restaurant buzz

You can often tell by the atmosphere in a place if the staff are happy or the management is robbing thier tips

• Advertisement

Load of miserable tight arses on this thread

What's wrong with you to not tip someone even a euro or two for a meal or haircut if the person was good at what's they do and made you happy?

I always tip my barber, look forward to the next cut and a chat.

I usually tip a small amount for meals unless it was a disaster

It's nice to nice, it doesn't hurt to share a little bit of happiness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

worded wrote: »

What's wrong with you to not tip someone even a euro or two for a meal or haircut if the person was good at what's they do and made you happy?

I don't get tipped by any of the people I deal with in work and I'm as courteous as the come to the customers I deal with.I don't expect to either.

Why should some jobs be expect to get a tipped but not others?

If the money the staff are being paid is below what they should be and tips are supposed to fill this gap then simply pay the staff properly and put up the price of the service you are providing to cover this.

The whole idea of tips is a complete load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

worded wrote: »

Tight arses who go out and pay for a meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

When working as a waitress, a customer called me over and asked if I had any tampons. She was on a first date and had just gotten her period and was very embarassed. I didn't and none of the other waitresses did either & I let her know this but told her I would sort it. So I ran out to the nearest shop (5 min jog) & bought some with my own money & left them in the ladies & told her where they were. It was pissing rain as I did this. I got in trouble with my boss for my unexplained absence on the busiest part of a saturday night service. Did she tip me? Nope. And yet I still tip wait staff, I can't help it though, when you've worked in the trade you know what a difference it makes.

I don't get tipped by any of the people I deal with in work and I'm as courteous as the come to the customers I deal with.I don't expect to either.

Why should some jobs be expect to get a tipped but not others?

If the money the staff are being paid is below what they should be and tips are supposed to fill this gap then simply pay the staff properly and put up the price of the service you are providing to cover this.

The whole idea of tips is a complete load of nonsense.

It doesn't hurt to give a Euro tip at lunch if the food and service was excellent.

The happiest people are those that give and make people happy

I still think that those who NEVER tip are miserable tight arses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

When working as a waitress, a customer called me over and asked if I had any tampons. She was on a first date and had just gotten her period and was very embarassed. I didn't and none of the other waitresses did either & I let her know this but told her I would sort it. So I ran out to the nearest shop (5 min jog) & bought some with my own money & left them in the ladies & told her where they were. It was pissing rain as I did this. I got in trouble with my boss for my unexplained absence on the busiest part of a saturday night service. Did she tip me? Nope. And yet I still tip wait staff, I can't help it though, when you've worked in the trade you know what a difference it makes.

Did she even say thanks? That was a very kind thing for you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Did she even say thanks? That was a very kind thing for you to do.

A tip would be a way to say thanks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I'll only ever tip if I feel the person has gone out of their way to provide an excellent service outside of whatever their regular job is. The whole purpose behind tipping in places like America is because staff are on ludicrously low money, that people can't actually survive on. That isn't the case here.

That's it really. I or anyone I know has never left a tip. FFS the country has a legal minimum wage for a reason

Whatever about being in the habit of you've lived on the US, i cant help but think anyone in Ireland that regularly​ tips just watches too much American TV and thinks it's the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I work in a restaurant in Canada, where the tipping culture is huge. I spent my whole life working office jobs but I make around 2.5 times more as a waiter than I would in any entry level office jobs - and that's with me having zero waitering experience!

The amount of people who don't have any clue about the tipping culture here is ridiculous though. I make less than minimum wage (I get $9.60/hr instead of min wage which i think is $10.40/hr). At the end of my shift, I have to give money to the kitchen and bar staff. This is 4% of my food sales to kitchen and 4% of drink sales to the barman. This is off the sales figures and is not linked to my tips. So if I sell $500 worth of food and $400 worth of drink in a night, I need to pay the kitchen $20 and the barman $16. If nobody tips me all night, this comes from my own money. So by people not tipping, I get less than my already reduced wage. Most people are good though and will usually tip between 15-20%. I find that Americans, rich Asians and people who work as a waiter themselves are the best tippers whereas Aussies, students and young Asians are the worst offenders. At the end of the day, if you can't afford to tip, don't eat in a table-service restaurant. Go to McDonald's or something like that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I used to work as a barman and a waiter years ago and always strived to provide a good service. I appreciated getting tips, but understand that Ireland doesn't really have a tipping culture. Most tips would have been from US and UK tourists.

If I get a good service in a restaurant, I'll tip 10%. I always tip bar staff. I also tip delivery drivers, barbers, taxis, mechanic s and most other people who provide a service. Usually 2 to 5euro

It's only money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

I was away recently with a large enough group. 15 or so people. A trip to the country.

On the first day at arrival one of the group sussed out who the supervisor/manager of the bar was and went for a quick chat. Introduced himself, shook his hand and dropped him a twenty and off we all went for the day. Taught he was mad throwing his money around. Turns out he had it planned perfect.

We spend two nights in the bar that weekend and Lord muck who tipped his twenty was threated like a king. Great welcome, First served at the bar, I was bypassed twice, first served food, always made a fuss about him, checked numerous times to make sure he was sorted. All for his twenty tip at the start up front. Never once tipped again. Not even if we all got some bar food in and totalled up the food bill.

Got me thinking of what I'd tipped the weekend. I bought a couple of rounds both nights and I'd tip on the bill by rounding up usually 4-5euro, threw another tip in with my food both nights. I'm guessing I probably tipped roughly 30 over the both nights.

10 more than Lord muck but didn't see any of the extra service he recieved the weekend. Personally I'd always have felt a little weird tipping up front like that but have another weekend away soon and might give it a go. See how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

He/She is either a stripper or a prostitute.

Not a chance, they wouldn't see anywhere near that sort of money hence feeling I could make the gerbil joke. I'm guessing something to do with luxury cars, aircraft leasing or yachts. The latter two dropping $10K would be pocket change, very nice pocket change and presumably for a job very well done but not completely out there in terms of tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭KilOit

I work in a restaurant in Canada, where the tipping culture is huge. I spent my whole life working office jobs but I make around 2.5 times more as a waiter than I would in any entry level office jobs - and that's with me having zero waitering experience!

The amount of people who don't have any clue about the tipping culture here is ridiculous though. I make less than minimum wage (I get $9.60/hr instead of min wage which i think is $10.40/hr). At the end of my shift, I have to give money to the kitchen and bar staff. This is 4% of my food sales to kitchen and 4% of drink sales to the barman. This is off the sales figures and is not linked to my tips. So if I sell $500 worth of food and $400 worth of drink in a night, I need to pay the kitchen $20 and the barman $16. If nobody tips me all night, this comes from my own money. So by people not tipping, I get less than my already reduced wage. Most people are good though and will usually tip between 15-20%. I find that Americans, rich Asians and people who work as a waiter themselves are the best tippers whereas Aussies, students and young Asians are the worst offenders. At the end of the day, if you can't afford to tip, don't eat in a table-service restaurant. Go to McDonald's or something like that

Most ridiculous comment I've seen in a while. So a student on a date brings their partner to dinner after saving up some money can't go to one of your establishments if they can't go the full distance to tip you and has to resort to Mc Donalds instead. Its not the students fault your restaurant has a policy of giving your salary to kitchen and bar staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

KilOit wrote: »
    [/B]

Most ridiculous comment I've seen in a while. So a student on a date brings their partner to dinner after saving up some money can't go to one of your establishments if they can't go the full distance to tip you and has to resort to Mc Donalds instead. Its not the students fault your restaurant has a policy of giving your salary to kitchen and bar staff

Yeh couldn't believe what I was reading. We could easily say if people can't afford to live on waiter wages then they should get another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

tedpan wrote: »

If I get a good service in a restaurant, I'll tip 10%. I always tip bar staff. I also tip delivery drivers, barbers, taxis, mechanic s and most other people who provide a service. Usually 2 to 5euro

It's only money...

I used to tip, until I realised the whole interaction between you and staff is predicated on them getting a tip, whether restaurant staff (Did you enjoy your meal, when you are just about to pay) or taxi drivers - quiet all journey and suddenly get interested in a conversation as you near your destination.

This faked interest is very off putting, so now I get my wife to pay :pac:

But in all seriousness, it was putting me off going out to meals, and it was on my mind during the meal.journey etc.

Tipping is creeping in big time, just pay your staff proper wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That system is beyond retarded and I won't feel bad for not buying into this utter immbecilety. "Paid less than minimum wage"? F*cking daft carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I can just imagine how all those defending tipping would feel if supermarkets announced they were cutting staff wages and introducing a tipping culture at the til.

Im sure it would go down well with customers.

If a bar or restaurant owner says i pay minimum wage and you customers need to to tip to subsidise my workers low salaries, many in Ireland say thats grand.

Yet if the likes of Tesco did it who are operating in arguably an even more competitive market, the same people would be outraged.

Ill never understand the hypocrisy and nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^^ there is not an ounce of fairness or sound logic when it comes to tipping culture. It is a throwback to a bygone age and it cannot be defended in any serious way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brad Socrates Osmund

I always tip waiting staff, always have, unless the service and/or individual in question is exceptionally bad. However, I'm puzzled by this growing trend in recent years to have tip jars situated at tills in coffee shops and bars. Tipping for individual table service is one thing, but tips are now expected for making a purchase at the counter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

He/She is either a stripper or a prostitute
    Actually i fly aircraft in an environment where tipping is part of the culture.

Advertisement